• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Yoboman

On the one hand games like this should be applauded in a space of annual sequels and safe bets, but on the other hand it's clear Kojima's ego needs to be put back in place if this motherfucker thinks he can make a game about incumberence

Still, sitting back and watching the discussion around it is entertaining
How dare that egotistical MANIAC make a game where walking takes more thought then pushing forward on the stick

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
The same could be said of Gears 5 which has the identical score, and it's still got a lot of problems the difference is people are willing to admit them whereas here... well...

YOU are the one who can't accept that DS reviews are mainly positive and only wants to focus on all the bad things.
I can't recall anyone here saying anything about DS being perfect, the holy gaming grail or free of any bad design choices.

GrayChild

You're looking at colors too much and not enough into what is said, the more centrist 80'ish level reviews seem to be rooted in more plausible reality and less into the pandering.

tl;dr Highly experimental and innovative title, which is not for everyone. The initial hours of the game may be off-putting, but the game opens up significantly afterwards.

How does that make the game mediocre?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Watched some of the DF footage, looks interesting in parts but I have concerns it might not all work as intended... looks like a modern or different version of Silent Hill in an open world, notice he even mentioned it (Silent Hill).

I'll probably pick this up next year, the graphics are real nice, imo.

If the story mindfucks me like Silent hill games have, then I’ll be happy.

Stuart360

Thing is, take the Kojima name off this game, but have exactly the same game as it is, but made by EA or Ubisoft, all the people defending the walking and bag holding, and other gameplay quirks, you would all be shitting on the game, and you know you would.

YOU are the one who can't accept that DS reviews are mainly positive and only wants to focus on all the bad things.
I can't recall anyone here saying anything about DS being perfect, the holy gaming grail or free of any bad design choices.
I don't see too many people calling the issues into question either, and when they are we're basically met with canned PR answers which try to weasel around them.

ethomaz

Banned
We do have a review thread here, for contrast (or mirror), depending who you ask to perceive.
It is even weird to compare the first page of the two games.

Most were praise Gears 5 for good scores.
Most are saying Dead Stranding is a mess lol

Who in here is claiming that DS is flawless?
Where have I said people are? But no one advocating for the game is going out of their way to bring up the issues either, and when they are brought up as I said they try to explain them away and weasel around them.

thuGG_pl

Posts like this really made me sad today.
Why do people like you do that? "It looks like a mediocre game, so all the positive review must be wrong?" Where's the logic in that?!

Maybe bacause reviews clearly say that the game is boring? And then give it an 8 or 9... Where's the logic in that?!
Some review even said that it's boring on purpose, like WTF, is it a plus when boredome is intentional?

DarkBatman

Where have I said people are? But no one advocating for the game is going out of their way to bring up the issues either, and when they are brought up as I said they try to explain them away and weasel around them.

You did it two posts ago:
"The same could be said of Gears 5 which has the identical score, and it's still got a lot of problems the difference is people are willing to admit them whereas here... well..."

DanielsM

Banned
Maybe bacause reviews clearly say that the game is boring? And then give it an 8 or 9... Where's the logic in that?!
Some review even said that it's boring on purpose, like WTF, is it a plus when boredome is intentional?

It depends, I mentioned in another thread that one of my favorite movies, almost nothing happens i.e. The Shining. Furthermore, if you play the early Silent Hill games sometimes its about what doesn't happen.

Now something like Spider-Man I'm slugging through right now and it has all kinds of game play elements and button mashing, but I kind of find it dull.

It just depends if everything else is working for a person, this probably isn't a game for everyone.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Advocating for the game? People are discussing the polarizing reception.

You're the one who is retaliating over Gears 5.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I listened to Kinda Funny talk about it for a while and the way they describe it, it's basically almost kind of like just a world builder. Kinda but not really. They said you basically do tasks to piece together a world with the occasional fight and that's pretty much the game.

They said the joy in it is feeling rewarded in seeing your work have positive influences on the world, but admit it's a very slow and tedious game and if you don't find those types of things rewarding, you won't like it. Half of the guys didn't like it and the other half did. Tim really disliked it and Greg really liked it.

Kokoloko85

Most the reviews saying gameplay is repetitive Ive not agreed with in the past.
looking forward to this, I smell Game of the year.

No1 would be calling the developer egotistical if he wasnt called Kojima. People seem to want to use their pitchforks for something....

MiguelItUp

Thing is, take the Kojima name off this game, but have exactly the same game as it is, but made by EA or Ubisoft, all the people defending the walking and bag holding, and other gameplay quirks, you would all be shitting on the game, and you know you would.
Thing is, I can't speak on behalf of everyone here, but I'm sure there are plenty that would still be interested if it wasn't Kojima. I know I still would be.

It's a high budget AAA title that is out there and apparently pretty bizarre. Not just story/lore wise, but the whole package. So, you can consider me interested as it feels like a breath of fresh air. 🤷‍♂️

Sure beats the hell out of the sequel this, remake that, standard AAA routine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ooh ooh, we doing this are we?

Sweet!

Now do one for people shitting on it, if this was all of a sudden another console exclusive or multiplat!

🤡 :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Stuart360

Thing is, I can't speak on behalf of everyone here, but I'm sure there are plenty that would still be interested if it wasn't Kojima. I know I still would be.

It's a high budget AAA title that is out there and apparently pretty bizarre. Not just story/lore wise, but the whole package. So, you can consider me interested as it feels like a breath of fresh air. 🤷‍♂️

Sure beats the hell out of the sequel this, remake that, standard AAA routine.
And there is nothing wrong with that,. In fact i would probably be interested in this if it WAS by Ubisoft, and not Kojima lol.
I was talking more about the blind defending, all the 'lol gamers today are so dumb, they just want to fast travel to objectives instead of walking' style posts in this thread. If this was an EA game, the same people would be criticising the game for having to walk to objectives, or having to keep a button pressed to carry stuff etc.

MiguelItUp

And there is nothing wrong with that,. In fact i would probably be interested in this if it WAS by Ubisoft, and not Kojima lol.
I was talking more about the blind defending, all the 'lol gamers today are so dumb, they just want to fast travel to objectives instead of walking' style posts in this thread. If this was an EA game, the same people would be criticising the game for having to walk to objectives, or having to keep a button pressed to carry stuff etc.
Well these are people that are totally hyped and looking forward to its release. Nothing is going to suddenly sway or change that. I'm unsure of what's trying to be proved otherwise.

DarkBatman

But you forget one important aspect: It's not only "Kojima", it is "Kojima who proved several times he's capable of making seemingly weird ideas enjoyable, sometimes even revolutionary".
We can't deny that not everything he touches becomes pure gold, but we at least know it's a possibility.

If developers responsible for awesome UbiSoft and EA games would try something like that, I'd never criticise it by default.

Shifty

45 minutes into this Kotaku video review, I'm struggling through.

This whole press wave feels like we're being played 🎻

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Stuart360

So who thinks IGN, USGamer and Stevivor got money from Konami to trash Kojima?
giphy.gif

The game has a dude walking around with a baby in a jar...

Regardless of who made it, if you thought it was going to be good I have some premo land for sale in Floroda I can give you a great deal on.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fun fact: The gamespot reviewer is actually the legendary "too much water" former IGN reviewer. So we at least have confirmation that Death Stranding has just the right amount of water.
gamespot in competition with the ufc for the worst acquisition of the year when they exchange mighty mouse for ben asscream...

Last edited:

Phase

I've actually become more interested the more I've read. A game about detailing, planning, and executing that plan while admiring and conquering a breathtaking world, with an inter-player connectedness. We all need a slow burn sometimes.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
What game had too much water?

That same reviewer also gave Days Gone a 5, mostly because the main char was a horrible white man, I think.
oh yeah the chick who bashed DG on his twitter account for some sjw bullshit clearly explained various time in the game, what a pathetic individual...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look, and while the tone from the team leaned somewhat negative, it actually got me really interested in playing the game. It looks right up my alley.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Also, another review that goes into more detail regarding mechanics and why they liked it.

they lost me at "objectively the best game from kojima".

i'm buying the game day one but no chance in hell a game like this is better than mgs1-3 or even zoe2, even with all the graphic and hollywood actors...

yeah i know we have to try the game first, but yeah, no chance in hell for me (happy to be disproved)

brap

Banned
I hear Dan went off on it on the Beastcast? Then again, he didn‘t think MGS was a political series, doesn‘t understand the nuances of deeper stories like Evangelion and other more arthouse films and shows and thinks Face/Off is high art.
To be fair arthouse movies are for pretentious twinks and experimental college age lesbians.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I watched the IGN review and it honestly seems to be the only 'mainstream' site that was properly critical of the main gameplay loop. He acknowledged all the positives while being critical of the negatives, and they appear to be numerous.

• Repetitive gameplay loop which is largely just fetch quests
  • Tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics such as constantly having to walk, climb, setup ropes, ladders, balance yourself while traversing the environment, tripping on things and losing your packages, having to retrieve them again when dropped
  • Via the multiplayer other players can troll you by building structures or setting up ladders which lead you up the face of mountains or cliffs to dead ends and nothing
  • Extremely convoluted inventory system
  • Poor fast traveling system that requires you to walk for 10+ minutes to reach a fast travel location, once there you have to skip 3 cutscenes each and every time you want to fast travel
  • The 70 main missions are the equivalent of what would be considered side quests in other games so lacking depth
  • The BT's merely function as a slowdown mechanic to buffer the game length and don't offer a real threat especially on the back of the asynchronous multiplayer which allows players to help in various ways
  • Multiple parts of the game deliberately stifle progress and slow it to a crawl
  • Not until 9-10 hours in do you get a real weapon of any kind and even on top of that there's only a handful of combat encounters

It's got a lot of problems, and the issue with all these high scores is they're completely masking over them.
is it me or this can become a funny as shit plus for the online part?
making life miserable for other people in a game where you supposed to help is the ultimate trolling kojima experience 😆

ManaByte

I just got Judgement today ($30 on Amazon!), so I'm good until Jedi Fallen Order and Shenmue 3 hit.

If I have insomnia I'll watch some streams of people delivering boxes in this game.

Top Bottom