• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Raziel

Like you're all ignoring this and those above it?

II2AQtb.png

a4a5CGJ.png

You guys are clown shoes.

Look at the language used in the Death Stranding reviews:

“technical and narrative masterpiece”
“pushes the medium forward”
“bold project”
“one of the most interesting games of 2019”
“originality”
“unbridled ambition and imagination”
“fascinating”
“Kojima’s boldest game to date”
“flashes of brilliance”
“The Tree of Life of videogames”

Versus the language used in the Gears 5 reviews:

“largely familiar”
“barely chcnaged the flavor of the original”
“familiar action experience”
“lack of significant gameplay innovations”
“safe”
“might not venture far out of the past”
“overfamiliar action”
“largely stagnant”
“the same cover shooting action it’s always been”

Javthusiast

Banned
If the story mindfucks me like Silent hill games have, then I’ll be happy.

Hearing Vinny and Alex describe the story as beating you over the head with shallow themes while pretending that it‘s deep up until the last cutscene, as if 2001 a space odyssey had explained every symbolism, in such a way that it makes you think Kojima sees the audience as complete dummies who wouldn‘t get it otherwise doesn‘t sound promising.

Codswallop_

Neophyte

“bold project”
“originality”
“fascinating”
“flashes of brilliance”

“largely familiar”
“safe”
“overfamiliar action”
“largely stagnant”

So you picked out the positive lines from one batch of reviews, and compared them against the negative lines from another batch of reviews about a different game? Ok, not sure what this proves.

Last edited:

Raziel

So you picked out the positive lines from one batch of reviews, and compared them against the negative lines from another batch of reviews about a different game? Ok, not sure what this proves.

I picked out the key words and phrases that capture the general thesis of both.
Those numbers might be similar, but the words definitely aren’t.

“bold project”
“originality”
“fascinating”
“flashes of brilliance”

“largely familiar”
“safe”
“overfamiliar action”
“largely stagnant”
So this Kojima masterpiece 5 years in the making is the equivalent of a stagnant, safe and familiar Gears game.

reg.png

Weird question time. I've tried to avoid any discourse about this game cuz I want to be surprised. I remember how divisive RDR2 was last year, and there were some people who hated on the game because of it's slow pacing. I loved RDR2 for exactly those reasons. I'm wondering (hoping) that it's going to be a similar experience for me in that I tend to really enjoy slower paced games with weighty animation priorities.

Hope I worded that correctly, I just woke up.
don't mix things together.
RDR2 is a game with millions quests, great story, minigames etc.
no one know or understand what the fuck DS is... most positive reviews are speaking about "art"... bla.. bla... boring..... bla..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RDR2 is a gorgeous game that's also boring as shit.

I loved it, personally. It's very deliberate and I could see why some people would hate it, but I didn't get sick of it right up until the end and I can't wait to grab the PC version this December and play through it again with mouse and keyboard controls (the aiming was the only thing that really bothered me on PS4).

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because these are entertainment products, they're video games, they're not real life. There's many aspect in life which we are trying to rid ourselves of via automation for the same reasons, they're tedious and in many ways annoyances.

Translating mundane real life annoyances to a video game is in my opinion nonsensical. Tedium for the sake of tedium in a video game is stupid, it's not fun, it doesn't better grasp this science fiction world in some kind of reality. It does nothing but to serve as an obtrusive mechanic which could otherwise be removed and still have the same end result. Picking up the case can have it held firmly without having to hold a button, the game can manage balance, gravity, velocity and momentum on its own without the player constantly having to interject.

It's nonsense.
you can't climb with rain, need to eat some shit every 5 minutes for cold\hot location, be cautious with breakable weapons and having the stamina of a 80 years old for the first 15-20 hours of the game plus some other real life annoyances in botw and it's a 97 .

same shit with ultra realism in rdr2, still a 97 on mc.

some people cumbrance are other people cumberbatch if you catch my poor attempt at a word joke.

Last edited:

FMXVII

What was my metacritic estimate in the thread?

7.3?

Hot damn.

It's definitely possible, after the dust settles.

Reactions: Isa

JLB

Banned
This very same game without Kojima name on the cover would be a 6 or so. Anyways, i love kojima so much. Even if its not perfect, it looks that delivers some magic moments and art direction greatness in between.

Raziel

So this Kojima masterpiece 5 years in the making is the equivalent of a stagnant, safe and familiar Gears game.

reg.png
Sure, if you also think The Tree of Life (84 RT) is the equivalent of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (84 RT). :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yeah, you managed to leave out everything about boredom and repetition. Nice thesis though.

Yeah, the outliers among the outliers. I’ll get right on those.

Last edited:

Romulus

What was my metacritic estimate in the thread?

7.3?

Hot damn.

It's definitely possible, after the dust settles.

It already has like 80 reviews, theres no way it would be dragged down to top tier xbox exclusive status at this point. :)

molasar

Banned
Simply put. It is a very good niche game but not for everyone.

I guess CoD people expected more of this in the game

Normie is the new retard.

Because the typical person in the U.S. these days functions at a sub-90 IQ level of cognition.

It is known.
So people are retarded now if they don't find themselves attracted to artsy fartsy symbolism and smug writing or directing? Where's the correlation to intelligence? You assume that people don't understand these things rather than understanding that most do and find it pretentious.

Also this is known by who exactly? Sounds to me as if you're just making shit up and expecting people to blindly believe you. Shocking concept on a forum. Trying to make something deep doesn't make it deep, it doesn't make it impactful, it doesn't make it important. Philosophy while great can be used to annoying effect and a big turnoff to most people.

This is one of the worst things about Kojima evangelicalism, if people don't like his creations they're somehow associated with unintelligence as if they don't get it. Pathetic.

FMXVII

So people are retarded now if they don't find themselves attracted to artsy fartsy symbolism and smug writing or directing? Where's the correlation to intelligence? You assume that people don't understand these things rather than understanding that most do and find it pretentious.

Also this is known by who exactly? Sounds to me as if you're just making shit up and expecting people to blindly believe you. Shocking concept on a forum. Trying to make something deep doesn't make it deep, it doesn't make it impactful, it doesn't make it important. Philosophy while great can be used to annoying effect and a big turnoff to most people.

This is one of the worst things about Kojima evangelicalism, if people don't like his creations they're somehow associated with unintelligence as if they don't get it. Pathetic.

I think you might need to reread my posting history in this thread...

Breakage

I still don't understand the point of having all the cargo on display. Not only does it make the character look stupidly bulky, it also makes movement cumbersome and a chore, which in this game is supposed to be a good thing.
Seeing all those swaying crates ridiculously stacked up on Sam while his arms are full with more...packages makes him look like a bumbling parody.

It just looks goofy and really contradicts the supposedly serious tone of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It just looks goofy and really contradicts the supposedly serious tone of the game.

Welcome to the world of Kojima. The master of mixing goofiness with seriousness and somehow making it work.

FranXico

I still don't understand the point of having all the cargo on display. Not only does it make the character look stupidly bulky, it also makes movement cumbersome and a chore, which in this game is supposed to be a good thing.
Seeing all those swaying crates ridiculously stacked up on Sam while his arms are full with more...packages makes him look like a bumbling parody.

The point of having the crates shown in the game world is to make them interact with the environment (fall off when Sam enters a narrow passage or bounces too hard, be exposed to enemy attacks, etc), which is something games avoided until now. It makes carrying more boxes at a time part of the risk-reward equation.

First time you've seen a Kojima game?

Last edited:

Breakage

Welcome to the world of Kojima. The master of mixing goofiness with seriousness and somehow making it work.
But in my view it doesn't work here. It just ends up looking silly and harming the gameplay experience. From the sound of things, Sam, despite being an athletic human with an enhanced exoskeleton suit, controls more like a big, cumbersome Metal Gear unit.

Raziel

Some people crave challenging and experimental media - or a break from the norm.

Others just want to consume the same cookie cutter, conveyor belt media year after year.

If you fall into first group, you might like Death Starnding. If you fall into the second group, you definitely won’t.

Lets just leave it at that.

Breakage

First time you've seen a Kojima game?
Yes, Kojima has inserted funny things into his games before, but those have been side elements, not something that is central to the gameplay and character aesthetic as is the case here. And anyway DS was supposed be Kojima be more grown up, more serious. The stacked cargo tower looks like the result of a cheat mode that duplicates items. It just looks stupid.

Well there it is.

You're too stupidly arrogant to comprehend a gentle suggestion that you completely misread what I wrote.

Situation normie: y'all fucked up.
It's not my responsibility to try and comprehend your psycho babble. You're insulting people who don't buy into this stuff while at the same time insinuating the intelligence level of the average person predicated on nothing. (You're wrong btw)

For someone questioning the intellect of others I find it quite ironic that at this very moment I am questioning yours.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's called the Nintendo bonus. Nintendo can do non wrong and if a multiplat is on a nintendo console it always scores better.

0Ss7X7d.png
Ryza actually runs better on the Ps4 lol.

Just based on what the reviews are saying ( not the scores ) it sounds like I'll hate this game.

Presentation and story are very important and it sounds like this game has those areas covered. But that just makes it more.... tragic that the game's gameplay is so shallow.

Is the game REALLY just hours and hours of "take thing X to point Y" fetch quests and every once and a while peppered by actual gameplay?

What a massive missed opportunity if true.

Endlessly walking while having the "gameplay" of balancing your giant backpack or else you'll drop everything and have to go pick it all up, will get boring fast.

Anyway I don't want to get too down on it without having actually played some of it but I have a feeling actual gamers are going to be far less forgiving of this than gaming journos.

Some people crave challenging and experimental media - or a break from the norm.

Others just want to consume the same cookie cutter, conveyor belt media year after year.

If you fall into first group, you might like Death Starnding. If you fall into the second group, you definitely won’t.

Lets just leave it at that.

Phase

But in my view it doesn't work here. It just ends up looking silly and harming the gameplay experience. From the sound of things, Sam, despite being an athletic human with an enhanced exoskeleton suit, controls more like a big, cumbersome Metal Gear unit.
Yes, unless you take packages off. With less he has better balance and agility. As someone else said, risk/reward.

mcjmetroid

I went and searched through all reviews and not one ever says the game is fun or the game is enjoyable.

They all seem to slog through the same tedious stuff to get cutscenes. What is that?
How does not one review say it is fun? Isn’t that what games are supposed to be?

This is what I'm concerned about really.

People threw 10s at RDR2 like it had no issues and I thought that game was SHIT.

I need games to be fun or at least non cumbersome. This doesn't sound like the game for me.

I think I understand the meaning behind this game now after Giant Bombs Quick look.

It’s a subtle commentary on Japanese gamers possibly others around the world too, how they don’t get out often enough and need to make more connections with humans and meeting people, making Delivery jobs look cool which is also a hint that getting a delivery job will make you less anti social because you’re in constant contact usually one on one, face to face contact (e.g food or bigger parcel delivery) unless of course more than one person comes to the door but on the other hand there’s some delivery jobs (postman or cargo delivery) where you have even less human contact and yet you do still have to have some contact with people at base for example, but not contact with humans on a level of say a retail server which can be overbearing for someone who hasn’t been out in a while.

Also tries teaching gamers how helping out others in your community by helping build items such as bridges etc is rewarding.

This thought that it’s commenting on modern anti social Gamers is backed up with the monster energy drinks & Pizza in the game which is a stereotypical gamers food choice oh and before I forget.

The idea of making the baby an integral part of the game & it’s connection to the character , probably an attempt at making gamers empathetic towards the idea of caring for a baby if I’m not mistaken haven’t they said in Japan the youth are having less children than ever? Because not enough of the younger generations are having meaningful relationships?

All filtered through the mind of Kojima.

Stranding means being social with other! In a cool futuristic package that’s telling you to get out & connect with people more itl, by teaching it to you through a cool game.

Or most likely I could be talking out of my ass & I don’t understand this game whatsoever 😂

I want to add that I haven’t had more than 3hrs sleep last night, just watched this footage and thats what my brain shat out
This was beautifully thought out by Giant Bomb :messenger_heart:

Phase

This is what I'm concerned about really.

People threw 10s at RDR2 like it had no issues and I thought that game was SHIT.

I need games to be fun or at least non cumbersome. This doesn't sound like the game for me.
It def sounds cumbersome.

Dante83

Banned
Some of the reviews I have read have so much discrepancies. How are they calling the game not fun and boring, but proceed to give a good score that is 90 and above? It's like they want to bash the game, but had to hold back due to getting paid by the developers of the game to give it a good score, so they had to sneak in some diss in there.

Top Bottom