• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

luka

Loves Robotech S1
epmode said:
At this point, Ketsui is the only thing that might cause me to grab a J360. I *really* don't want to do this.

PRAYING FOR A LOCALIZATION

I'm still debating whether to get a J360 just for cave stuff. I am extremely apprehensive- no warranty coverage seems like a death wish. I don't want to mention how much I just wish they'd just throw something on the ps3 because I do it in every cave thread and don't want to get nailed for port begging. :lol ... :(

danmaku said:
I wouldn't hold my breath for Ketsui. The game bombed hard in Japan, and the stores are already selling it at bargain bin prices.

Not enough loli.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are the Cave shmups on the 360 region-free?

Kai Ozu

Have 2 copies on pre-order. I love this game so much, also the second game was a major let down to me, so I'll happily go back to playing this one.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I dunno if I want Ketsui. It's not redrawn in HD like Galuda/Deathsmiles/Futari is it? I'm just sayin cause I tried Galuda 2 in arcade mode once and I couldn't see shit.

By the way the Deathsmiles composer could totally do a Castlevania soundtrack. Then again Konami's probably too cheap to hire him. =/

It's not redrawn, but it still looks fine. It just takes some getting used to after being accustomed to the remade sprites in Cave's other games. It's like playing Raiden Fighter Aces or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, I really want them but I got EspGaluda II on the iPhone.

I'm considering on buying a 360 to buy Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Alan Wake, and Mushihimesama.

What I would suggest is wait for the price drop on Japanese x360 arcades. If you need more space get a super cheap 20gb drive or use a usb stick.

Any new system you buy will be a Jasper which is noisier than the slim but is prettymuch immune to RROD.

Is Ketsui worth the price of importing a 360 plus the $70 game itself? Only if you're a super hardcore shmup fan that wants a two loop game that takes years to master and incredible skill to kill the true last boss.

Also depending on Deathsmiles 1 sales, you may or may not see Deathsmiles 2 coming to the US, and that's also not region free.

luka said:
I'm still debating whether to get a J360 just for cave stuff. I am extremely apprehensive- no warranty coverage seems like a death wish. I don't want to mention how much I just wish they'd just throw something on the ps3 because I do it in every cave thread and don't want to get nailed for port begging. :lol ... :(
DoDonPachi is on JPSN. I highly suggest you get it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
_dementia said:
DoDonPachi is on JPSN. I highly suggest you get it.

Yeah, I actually bought a psx copy a short while ago. It's the only cave game I've come close to 1CC so far. Daioujou is utterly defeats me on the second boss. :(

I never had played Ketsui before and I did not have high expectations when I bought the Xbox 360 version. It ended being one of my favorite shmups. It is good. Really good. And no sign of loli-invasion in the game, it is family safe.

Chiaroscuro said:
I never had played Ketsui before and I did not have high expectations when I bought the Xbox 360 version. It ended being one of my favorite shmups. It is good. Really good. And no sign of loli-invasion in the game, it is family safe.
My only taste of Ketsui is in the form of Ketsui Death Label but I fell in love with it. I really want to pick up the full game someday. Maybe it will be my first PCB, who knows.

But I digress.

5 days until Deathsmiles! I'm excited.
I actually imported the Japanese version last year with the intention of buying a J360 eventually, but I never got around to that :lol

The newest GameFan has a pull-out poster featuring an Aksys Games character montage, and some Deathsmiles characters are present in it.

LiK

_dementia said:
The newest GameFan has a pull-out poster featuring an Aksys Games character montage, and some Deathsmiles characters are present in it.
Dammit, I might need to buy it

Yes Boss!

Ketsui 360 waiting at my house for a few months...can't wait to try it next month when I get home. Sux to be gone this year. ;-(

HiResDes

ULTROS! said:
Man, I really want them but I got EspGaluda II on the iPhone.

I'm considering on buying a 360 to buy Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Alan Wake, and Mushihimesama.
Eternal Sonata is on the the PS3 and I believe Vesperia is as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
HiResDes said:
Eternal Sonata is on the the PS3 and I believe Vesperia is as well.
Eternal Sonata is on the PS3 in English/Japanese with extra content, and Vesperia is on the PS3 in Japanese with extra content.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Who cares? Mushihime is way better than all of those games put together.
Just information my friend. Reminds me that I need to get Mushihimesama Futari sometime soon though. Keep on draining my money on other things.

ULTROS!

InfiniteNine said:
Eternal Sonata is on the PS3 in English/Japanese with extra content, and Vesperia is on the PS3 in Japanese with extra content.

Vesperia PS3 is not in English (and never will be). :(

Eternal Sonata... I do remember seeing the 360 version being way cheaper than the PS3 one. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ULTROS! said:
Vesperia PS3 is not in English (and never will be). :(

Eternal Sonata... I do remember seeing the 360 version being way cheaper than the PS3 one. :p
Really? I was confident they'd be about the same since they both bombed hard. I didn't buy it anyways because the character models freaked me out in the demo.

Just sayin'
When Cave, Microsoft, and a handful of other guys decided to turn the 360 into another kind of shooterbox I kind of stopped caring about those wacky JRPGs.

CaseyTappy said:
Sama still rules , Futari i liked less and Tama isn't even a Shmup :D

Weirded out. I thought Sama was ass.

ULTROS!

InfiniteNine said:
Really? I was confident they'd be about the same since they both bombed hard. I didn't buy it anyways because the character models freaked me out in the demo.

Game pricing is weird here. The 360 is more expensive than the PS3 last time I checked. A number of the 360 games are cheaper compared to the PS3 ones (except FFXIII, which was $59 for the 360 and $49 for the PS3).

Although I did see a 360 that costs around $50. :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just sayin'
When Cave, Microsoft, and a handful of other guys decided to turn the 360 into another kind of shooterbox I kind of stopped caring about those wacky JRPGs.
That's where we differ on this, although my 360's sole purpose is for SHMUPs so I guess I just treat it more as an arcade machine. Still play everything else on my PS3 like I used to though

ULTROS! said:
Game pricing is weird here. The 360 is more expensive than the PS3 last time I checked. A number of the 360 games are cheaper compared to the PS3 ones (except FFXIII, which was $59 for the 360 and $49 for the PS3).

Although I did see a 360 that costs around $50. :lol
It is really strange encountering other countries prices... I always wonder how they get away with that.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just sayin'

Weirded out. I thought Sama was ass.

Are you insane ?
It's my most played PCB even now !

InfiniteNine said:
That's where we differ on this, although my 360's sole purpose is for SHMUPs so I guess I just treat it more as an arcade machine. Still play everything else on my PS3 like I used to though

Actually I am secretly ashamed that I spent more time on shit like Infinite Undiscovery and SO4 than all of my 360 shooters put together.

ULTROS!

I like Progear a bit more than Guwange. That's because I like hori-shmups more.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
_dementia said:
I wonder how they'll handle the highscore initials in that case
i imagine they'd have to change it
Are Ass and Poo taken? Damn!

I'm hoping their next legacy port to the 360 is Pink Sweets. Has to be regional free or NA bound. :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
deathsmiles2.jpg

If you're considering getting ketsui, first off take a look at these two superplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Rlj6jMOC0 Stage 2-4 ura loop (aka special round)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKWXubTH5jA Stage 2-5 ura loop (aka special round) and true last boss

If that looks fun/possible to you, you should consider buying it. Otherwise if you're not really good at shoot em ups you might as well just stick to espgaluda 2, mushihime sama futari, and deathsmiles (all playable on a US console), because it's all going to feel the same anyway at a low level of skill. Also ketsui doesn't have multiple levels of difficulty or a novice mode, and the difficulty is like a cliff wall from stage 3 to 4, so it's really not for beginners or anyone hoping to 1cc the game without months of practice.. and killing the true last boss? try a year or more.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from buying it, but you have to consider whether it's worth the cost of an import console ($300-350 plus tax/shipping) plus the $70 game.

Yeah I watch videos like those and it just makes me want to play some old Toaplan stuff.
I already kind of regret getting ESP Galuda 2 because it takes me hours to figure out a two minute stage and those fucking bosses...why?

Top Bottom