• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

I called Amazon and they told me my copy wouldn't ship out until tomorrow at the earliest so I canceled it and bought one of my Gamestop's two extras.

Yes Boss! said:
FWIW, my Gamestop (located on a military base) had four preorders and three extras. So nice to see the Cave logo on the back of a NA box!

Dangit, that was the same gamestop that had a Game Boy Micro.. the only one in San Antonio.. and me not being military had no way of getting there. :(

Yes Boss! said:
RoryDropkick,

You talking about the one at Fort Sam? If so, I can check later tonight when I head back to the PX...

Yeah.. it's gone now though :( looong gone.

I should have kept the one they gave me when I was working at EB, we all had little demo ones that came with Pokemon Emerald.. when GS took over they said "just get rid of them" so we took them home... I gave mine to a friend because I have a GBA SP already :/

depths20XX

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I haven't followed it long but how would most shooter fans rank this game with others? Is it one of the most popular?

With what others? All shooters? I would rank it as just "ok". It's not one of Cave's best and it's certainly not one of the best horis. It's a fun game though.

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
Whoo, picked it up at the local gamestop here. Promptly cancelled my amazon preorder (july 2nd shipout it seemed). It does come in an adorable little box!

Won't be on the leaderboards till august.

where have you been?

depths20XX said:
With what others? All shooters? I would rank it as just "ok". It's not one of Cave's best and it's certainly not one of the best horis. It's a fun game though.

Yeah just mean in the overall scheme of shooter games. :D

LiK

damn Amazon is screwed up. my preorder still not shipped so i ordered another copy on Gamestop.com.

Yes Boss!

LiK said:
where have you been?

I've been in Texas doing training for a move to Europe in September. Been out of the gaming loop for a good part of this year but I've been playing my handhelds. Got a good amount of games waiting for me when I get back to California.

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
I've been in Texas doing training for a move to Europe in September. Been out of the gaming loop for a good part of this year but I've been playing my handhelds. Got a good amount of games waiting for me when I get back to California.

ahhh, Europe? even less shmups :(

seady said:
Is this game like Parodius?

Not really. The mechanics and power-up system are completely different. Stuff like avoiding background objects and such that you would expect from Gradius or Parodious type gameplay exist but are minimal. It's more your typical manic shmup except scrolling horizontally.

Just finished Level 1 co-op with my friend.

We both sucked but loved it :lol We did 360 version. Also, I love the menu music...it's so good.

BTW, I did my part! I spread the word to this friend of mine about the game :D He's never played a shmup before (I'm no expert, either. The only one to my name is some of Castle of Shikigami III) and he pre-ordered.

Daigoro

HOOOOOOOLLLY SHIT!

this game is fucking amazing. i pretty much knew about 10 seconds after starting up my first play that this was going to be a favorite of mine.

i love the Castlevaniaesque vibe and monsters. love the mechanics, graphics, sound etc. this fucker is shooting right towards the top of Cave's best games for me.

i was #2 on the leaderboards 10 hrs ago!!! :lol (out of 6 gotta be 900th by now)

only got to try each mode maybe once and credit fed through 360 mode just to check it out. its fucking brilliant, really.

im wearing my Cave t-shirt like a true geek right now anticipating getting home from work so i can sink some hours into this sucker.

Just got done playing for an hour or so.... continue fed and finished it with Windia, now to try to get used to scoring and attempt to get on the leaderboards.

JEKKI

man this game sucks... I thought with a name like Def Smiles it was gonna be about def jam... instead it's a game about little girls???

does anyone kno if there's a way to unlock Redman or LL Cool J in this game??

coz if not Im totally ebaying this...

JEKKI said:
man this game sucks... I thought with a name like Def Smiles it was gonna be about def jam... instead it's a game about little girls???

...?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Am I missing something obvious here or do achievements not pop up if you're playing co-op? Just went through the game with a friend on Live, without changing any settings, and we didn't get anything.

Great game, at any rate. Not usually a big fan of hori shooters but I'm really happy with it.

Daigoro

edit: think i got some info wrong. ill check.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Am I missing something obvious here or do achievements not pop up if you're playing co-op? Just went through the game with a friend on Live, without changing any settings, and we didn't get anything.

Great game, at any rate. Not usually a big fan of hori shooters but I'm really happy with it.

sounds like they dont work in co-op i guess. :/

these games are funny. they shit out achievements at you for doing nothing and then there will always be a handful that no mortal will ever acquire.

i literally got 200pts in a half hour this afternoon. most of the rest of them actually look attainable, but there is at least one or two that maybe 5 people in the world will get. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Daigoro said:
BOOO heads up people.

not only does it appear that the game wont run on a J360, but apparently the game wont run on the new slim 360 as well.

thats some bullshit.

sounds like they dont work in co-op i guess. :/

these games are funny. they shit out achievements at you for doing nothing and then there will always be a handful that no mortal will ever acquire.

i literally got 200pts in a half hour this afternoon. most of the rest of them actually look attainable, but there is at least one or two that maybe 5 people in the world will get. :lol

lol, wtf

LiK

JEKKI said:

people might take your comment seriously if they didn't know you JEKKI :lol

Ramune

SapientWolf said:
I don't see the game on Amazon anymore.

I see it just fine(as of 12:40 a.m. EST), and they haven't resorted to the Marketplace yet either.

Shame I won't be able to play it on my J360, but I'm picking up my copy tomorrow! Can the JP version co-op with the NA version?

Amazon is prepping my copy for shipment now. I should have it by 7/2, as they stated ever sicne I pre-ordered in early May. Can't wait to play this bad bo...err girl.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ramune said:
I see it just fine(as of 12:40 a.m. EST), and they haven't resorted to the Marketplace yet either.

Shame I won't be able to play it on my J360, but I'm picking up my copy tomorrow! Can the JP version co-op with the NA version?
Ok, I can see the page. I just can't get it in a search.
Your search "Deathsmiles " did not match any products.

Level 999 in MBL....Yikes

And already looks like some dude is rolling in and dominating the scoreboards. Good thing I got that picture when I did of me at the top. :lol

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Level 999 in MBL....Yikes

And already looks like some dude is rolling in and dominating the scoreboards. Good thing I got that picture when I did of me at the top. :lol

yeah i lasted about 30 seconds. :lol

Kai Ozu said:
The soundtrack in this game is still the best thing ever.

i only played for about an hour yesterday, but it sounded fantastic.

vulva

I'm debating picking this up. Traditionally I prefer vertical shooters over horizontal but I really love Cave games from what I've played (Ketsui and Mushimushi futanaria). Should I buy this?

Kai Ozu

Happy Phantom said:
I'm debating picking this up. Traditionally I prefer vertical shooters over horizontal but I really love Cave games from what I've played (Ketsui and Mushimushi futanaria). Should I buy this?

Please buy it. PLEASE!!!!

Daigoro

Happy Phantom said:

it goes vert too. ;) just not top down.

danmaku

Happy Phantom said:

Despite being hori, it has the typical Cave vibe (patterns, pacing, scoring system), you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom