• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

PJX

Coldsnap said:
Yuck, my shipping estimate is July 6th on Amazon.com. :(

So is mine and I ordered this back on the 7th of April. It won't let me cancel the order though. They better send me the Limited Edition.

I'm part of the solution, picked this up last night. Was trading in a game when I remembered that it was supposed to be out yesterday. Asked the clerk and they had one copy in the back. Pleasantly surprised by just how fun it is. I was honestly expecting to be frustrated by dying constantly but the difficulty setting is pretty awesome. I started at level 1, but soon found myself replaying at level 2, but wanting to go to level 3.

Turned the sound up real loud on this, felt like I was back in an arcade.

Went through this twice so far. Once on 360 mode on rank 2 levels. The second time on the MLB setting and did it on rank 3. HOLY SHIT! There was times I literally had no idea how to dodge the things they were throwing at me. It seemed like there was no safe spot!

GAME is ALOT of fun!

Forbiden

Been having a blast with the game, although I have to admit I am still not 100% used to it and still get killed early on while playing on Level 3.

Also, I am not sure if it's been noted before but the game uses the new xbox boxes with the wave on the right and stuff.

I'm sorta confused, at some point in the game the enemies you kill shoot off little x's and they hone in on you, anyone have good strategys on this. This things are killer sometimes.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm sorta confused, at some point in the game the enemies you kill shoot off little x's and they hone in on you, anyone have good strategys on this. This things are killer sometimes.
It goes into Death Mode on Level 1 if you do the EXTRA stage. Death mode makes those spawn after you kill an enemy, and the strategy is to pretty much shoot them at the right time, or get good at finding paths to escape.

InfiniteNine said:
It goes into Death Mode on Level 1 if you do the EXTRA stage. Death mode makes those spawn after you kill an enemy, and the strategy is to pretty much shoot them at the right time, or get good at finding paths to escape.

Ok makes sense. I was doing that, purposely not killing enemies in order to get around that or have enough room to dodge. Also the boss right before the final boss. Is there a specific safety point because once he gets right near death, he does that move that makes the screen hazy and suddenly its just FILLED with dots everywhere. I never could dodge that succesfully. I feel it possible could be done but DAMNNN!!!!!!

Ricker

Uhggg...Gamestop didn`t get it yet,tomorrow is a holiday here so they are close so she said maybe Friday...I hope it`s not because of the language thing up here...did anyone in Canada get this yet? is the manual bilingual or just in English?...games like Fragile and Shiren never made it up here because of this.

Ricker said:
Uhggg...Gamestop didn`t get it yet,tomorrow is a holiday here so they are close so she said maybe Friday...I hope it`s not because of the language thing up here...did anyone in Canada get this yet? is the manual bilingual or just in English?...games like Fragile and Shiren never made it up here because of this.
Still not in (Toronto)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone know if the Japanese version can interface with the US release for Co-Op? These posts I've found about the US version not working on Japanese 360's is worrying.

depths20XX

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok makes sense. I was doing that, purposely not killing enemies in order to get around that or have enough room to dodge. Also the boss right before the final boss. Is there a specific safety point because once he gets right near death, he does that move that makes the screen hazy and suddenly its just FILLED with dots everywhere. I never could dodge that succesfully. I feel it possible could be done but DAMNNN!!!!!!

Those are suicide bullets. Instead of just trying to dodge them you want to cancel them out with your option (little familiar that floats around you). Guide it into the suicide bullets and it will absorb them. This is also how you score big.

matmanx1

Our GS got it in yesterday! I expected to enjoy it but not as much as Musihimesama Futari but I am shocked at just how much fun it is. I definitely think it's up there with Mushi in terms of overall quality and the 3 different modes on the disc + 5 (if you count Sakura in 1.1) playable characters and the faceplate make this game a great deal as well.

So far I've dabbled with Windia in arcade mode and beaten the game with Casper and Rosa in 360 mode. Of the 3 I like Rosa the best so far even if I hate the valley girl style speech they gave her. I'm still coming to grips with the scoring system but that's the beauty of a CAVE shmup is the complexity and replayability of their various systems.

Overall, great job Aksys and thanks for bringing this one over in such a great configuration. The soundtrack, faceplate, 1.1DLC and deluxe box were great additions and I appreciate it!

Dave Long

Banned
I suspect these Limited Edition packages are going to be quite collectible within a couple years. This seems like a small print run.

depths20XX

InfiniteNine said:
Anyone know if the Japanese version can interface with the US release for Co-Op? These posts I've found about the US version not working on Japanese 360's is worrying.

No, it can't

matmanx1

My GS actually had 2 pre-orders so they got 6 copies in. They still didn't have them displayed out on the wall when I went in but they were at least on the shelf behind the counter where I could see them.

And I am proudly sporting that faceplate and deluxe box. I have a "geek" shelf in my entertainment room and the deluxe box is sitting right in the middle of it with the plushy Teddy from Persona 4 peeking over the top of it. The faceplate looks pretty good on the old style Elite as well!

LiK

InfiniteNine said:
Bleh... I'm considering sending it back to Amazon after it comes in now.
Soundtrack and Faceplate not worthy enough? I got EspGaluda 2 LE for the faceplate and i can't play that ver so I had to get the standard too

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LiK said:
Soundtrack and Faceplate not worthy enough? I got EspGaluda 2 LE for the faceplate and i can't play that ver so I had to get the standard too
Not really since I don't like the NA faceplate. I've been using my EspGaluda 2 one on it for months and I just like it better, as for the soundtrack it isn't that big of a deal to me since it didn't draw me in as much as EspII's. I would be syked with all this if the damn game worked on my system, and I'm never getting an NA 360 so this seems all pretty pointless now. Way to go Aksys for killing the hype for the game I bought a 360 for. /:

LiK

InfiniteNine said:
Not really since I don't like the NA faceplate. I've been using my EspGaluda 2 one on it for months and I just like it better, as for the soundtrack it isn't that big of a deal to me since it didn't draw me in as much as EspII's. I would be syked with all this if the damn game worked on my system, and I'm never getting an NA 360 so this seems all pretty pointless now. Way to go Aksys for killing the hype for the game I bought a 360 for. /:
Oh ok, 360 Arcade is much cheaper now. I bought two this month :)

depths20XX

InfiniteNine said:

But you have the JP version of deathsmiles so you can still play it? Don't get how that means you wasted money on a 360.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LiK said:
Oh ok, 360 Arcade is much cheaper now. I bought two this month :)
I really can't justify getting a NA 360 for it though since all of my other US games run just fine on my Japanese system. I really wonder why my Agarest War copy is allowed to run on my J360 and my copy of DeathSmiles isn't.

depths20XX said:
But you have the JP version of deathsmiles so you can still play it? Don't get how that means you wasted money on a 360.
It means I wasted money on my US copy. I wanted to play Co-Op with one of my friends in another state, and that was my sole reason for buying it.

Dave Long

Banned
Definitely not something to derail the thread over. Aksys is selling the game only in the US. Of course they're going to region lock it. You are not even a remote consideration in their sales plan.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dave Long said:
Definitely not something to derail the thread over. Aksys is selling the game only in the US. Of course they're going to region lock it. You are not even a remote consideration in their sales plan.
My US Record of Agarest War works fine and it's by the same company. I don't see why I can't play my US copy of DeathSmiles when my US copies of Vesperia, Bayonetta, and Resonance of Fate can go ahead and run just fine.

depths20XX

InfiniteNine said:
My US Record of Agarest War works fine and it's by the same company. I don't see why I can't play my US copy of DeathSmiles when my US copies of Vesperia, Bayonetta, and Resonance of Fate can go ahead and run just fine.

A lot of games are like that, my NA copies of Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces won't work on my J360.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
depths20XX said:
A lot of games are like that, my NA copies of Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces won't work on my J360.
I guess I'm just disappointed that this happened. I'll shut up now, but I needed to vent my frustration a little. It'll look nice on the shelf at least.

InfiniteNine said:

Agarest War was out in Europe before North America, so there wasn't much reason to region lock the NA version. RoF and Bayonetta released in NA/Europe at about the same time so there wasn't much reason to region lock those. Deathsmiles doesn't currently have a publisher for a European release so region locking it is a protection in case someone picks it up there. No distributor will want it if they think half the audience has already imported it from NA. It sucks, but it's business.

On topic....Amazon shipped my copy! But I won't get it until next week :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
digita1alchemy said:
Agarest War was out in Europe before North America, so there wasn't much reason to region lock the NA version. RoF and Bayonetta released in NA/Europe at about the same time so there wasn't much reason to region lock those. Deathsmiles doesn't currently have a publisher for a European release so region locking it is a protection in case someone picks it up there. No distributor will want it if they think half the audience has already imported it from NA. It sucks, but it's business.

On topic....Amazon shipped my copy! But I won't get it until next week :(
There are numerous games that have the PAL region locked out only. I believe my US Vesperia is only locked out to PAL consoles as well, so that excuse doesn't fly with me.

So how is the quality of the faceplate? The EspGaluda II one was very well made.

I canceled my amazon order and picked it up from EB. Course my 360 red rings in the same day. My 5th red ring so far. Guess it's time to get a slim.

Daigoro

this game rocks my socks!

#8 on the 360 no EX stage leader board as of about an hour ago. (my GT is in my profile here if anyone wants it)

i want to play MORE. time for bed though. gotta wait till tomorrow.

vulva

InfiniteNine said:
I really can't justify getting a NA 360 for it though since all of my other US games run just fine on my Japanese system. I really wonder why my Agarest War copy is allowed to run on my J360 and my copy of DeathSmiles isn't.

It means I wasted money on my US copy. I wanted to play Co-Op with one of my friends in another state, and that was my sole reason for buying it.
I'll give you 10 bucks for it ;p

Man I wish I could afford this game ;(

Amazon order is finally "shipping soon". I guess I can't be upset with them as after the credits from buying Mario Galaxy 2 and SSFIV this ended up being $20! Hell yes!

Pein

Banned
Bought it, it was at the small game store I buy from. I was surprised they even had it considering the gamestop by me doesn't have any copies.

I'm at work and I'm wishing I was at home playing it. :lol

I want to at least finish it with one of the other girls tonight, by credit feeding most likely, but still I just want to get used to the layouts of each stage before I even try to score attack. Which leads me to another question... how do I get my gauge to 1000 quicker? It seems even on level 3 I'm not able to do it on the first stage alone.

Dave Long

Banned
So when you guys are playing, do you just play one credit or do you always continue to the end?

Whenever I get one of these games, it's one credit forever for me. I still haven't "finished" Ikaruga because of this.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dave Long said:
So when you guys are playing, do you just play one credit or do you always continue to the end?

Whenever I get one of these games, it's one credit forever for me. I still haven't "finished" Ikaruga because of this.
It's the same for me. I refuse to continue, although one of my friends used some while I let him try it so he obtained the achievement for that. I got good at Touhou by refusing to continue, and playing Shoot the Bullet.

LiK

Dave Long said:

I go for the ending first. Could care less about 1CC if I'm playing for fun.

RoryDropkick said:
I want to at least finish it with one of the other girls tonight, by credit feeding most likely, but still I just want to get used to the layouts of each stage before I even try to score attack. Which leads me to another question... how do I get my gauge to 1000 quicker? It seems even on level 3 I'm not able to do it on the first stage alone.

There are other factors to consider as well.
Depending on the type of weapon used (Shot/Laser) certain enemies drop more skulls than others. I think it works like using the shot weapon for most flying enemies and the laser weapon for enemies on the ground...which makes sense since ground enemies tend to have more health.

Also you have to be sure to be close to grab items before they level down. Like say you kill an enemy and a crown appears if that crown hits the ground it becomes a skull and so on. Once the suicide bullets come into play each bullet absorbs adds the equivalent of one skull so that's definitely something to consider. Timing the power-up is essential as there are certain spots where you can practically refill a just emptied gauge. Also trigger the power-up when there are a ton of bullets on-screen. Every bullet canceled leads to more bonuses.

You also may want to consider finding an optimal stage route. Obviously you want to save the stages with more enemies/stuff to destroy for towards the end when you've built up a substantial chain.

Oh and if you're hurting for health and willing to be risky if you beat the first form of the final boss without using a bomb you'll get a cake worth two bars of life. They don't really count as extends though so don't expect to fight the final boss with seven lives or something crazy like that.

patrickthehedgehog said:
Amazon order is finally "shipping soon". I guess I can't be upset with them as after the credits from buying Mario Galaxy 2 and SSFIV this ended up being $20! Hell yes!

Great.... I had $20 from Singularity and just ordered this and it'll be here tomorrow.

Thanks alot! >: (

:D

Did an online game earlier.
Yeah I can see why Cave doesn't bother with online multiplayer. It kind of blows here. It's buggy, sometimes the scores don't reset upon continue, and I didn't even get extends for breaking certain scores. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom