• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Kaladin

Blue Pants totally reminds me of.....

fallout_3_vault_boy_by_tylertut.png

Gonzalez

Banned
Every other episode of 1998 Raw has a sign with that on it held up by a fan.
True, but this is one sign, with no other sign around to grab your attention. I didn't finish watching the match, but before I switched to NXT it was still up for the first five minutes of it right in front of the hard cam. It's really distracting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Am I really supposed to be taking Nia Jax seriously? Why is she dressed in Saiyan battle armor?

Also, Samoa Joe's NXT theme is ballin'

Big One

Banned
So I skipped RAW as usual but saw some clips on youtube.

What the fuck, Sheamus is in a "League of Nations" stable?

Why are jobbers the top guys in the company?

You can literally see like 25% of the audience just walk out of their seats right as the finish of that match happens. Ugh. So awful.

Really good lead story in the observer this week

That all said, it is not a good thing that the audience watching is smaller, and even worse that the audience watching is significantly less engaged and switches off the show quicker than any time in history. The latter point is the key, in the sense if people watch out of habit but care about the product less, it’s a bad sign. I can recall Lance Russell in the late-80s, who was a successful program director before wrestling announcer became his full-time vocation, talking about the enormous ratings Memphis wrestling was still getting during a period when live attendance was falling greatly noting that on a show like wrestling, which draws based on people being creatures of habit, the ratings decline comes last, not first. That was the case with WCW, where there was a huge ratings decline as they went down the drain, but the decline in PPV, live events and other revenue streams was far greater

country, WWE, even though live gates are $200,000 to $300,000 for a house show, and more for TV, has gone from an event that is a key regular franchise event for the building, to an event that is considered a low grossing event compared to most entertainment events (unless it’s a major PPV event, which is actually of more value than ever before because of the higher ticket prices), but is fine to have for an otherwise free night in the building.

In the mid-card era, they’ve created nobody new, with most of their efforts geared to Roman Reigns, a cosmetic pick in an era where cosmetics don’t connect as much as in the past. Ironically, the crowd has tried to pick stars on their own, who are either grudgingly accepted after a fight (Punk and Bryan), are given early lip service to and quickly put “in their place” (Owens) or on a much smaller level, are rejected and shoved in their faces (Cesaro).

Nakamura to WWE seems like an actual possibility according to Meltzer this week.

A key story to watch for next month are the Shinsuke Nakamura contract negotiations. There is WWE interest in Nakamura, and unlike with Kazuchika Okada, who has made it clear his goal is to build New Japan up and already had his taste of U.S. wrestling, Nakamura has never had any kind of a U.S. run. From a WWE standpoint, Nakamura is tall enough, which is a current management knock on Hideo Itami on the main roster, but his age, as he’d be 36 before he’d start, is a factor as WWE traditionally doesn’t like to start guys of that age in NXT (Samoa Joe or James Storm are different as the ideas for them were strictly NXT and not main roster, while Nakamura would likely start in NXT but the goal is main roster). Nakamura is intrigued with the idea of being an American star, and the huge reaction he’s gotten on ROH shows may give him the idea that his charisma would carry over. At the same time, owner Takaaki Kidani in the past has said that they may have to offer seven figure or near seven figure deals to top guys, so it’s not a situation like AAA with Alberto where they couldn’t match with WWE offer.

Jay Lethal can come too, I guess

Lethal is another one whose contract expires relatively soon and WWE has shown interest in for NXT. One of the perks for ROH is the New Japan connection and he’s doing the Dome show in a probable title match (unless he loses between now and then) with Michael Elgin.

Big One

Banned
Nakamura wouldn't be able to wrestle like he does in NJPW in WWE.

He'll probably get a karate gimmick once he gets off NXT.

But dude WILL be super over in NXT to be fair. I could picture him getting the belt before Itami does.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lucha Underground needs to get into the toy racket soon. I don't even mean just the manchild toy racket either. All those character would sell so well to kids. It reminds me of like Transformers where there's tons of characters to get attached to as your favorite if you're a kid.

It's some pretty amazing booking when you look at the end of Lucha Underground's first season and you realize how many potential champions they have just from how they were booked. Fenix, Drago, Pentagon, Cage, Ryck(though not anymore), King Cuerno. That's almost half of their regular roster. And then you factor in guys like Texano or Alberto(not anymore) that made appearances and have history main eventing that could easily be bumped into it.

Nakamura wouldn't be able to wrestle like he does in NJPW in WWE.

He'll probably get a karate gimmick once he gets off NXT.

But dude WILL be super over in NXT to be fair. I could picture him getting the belt before Itami does.

They want an Asian superstar just like they want a Mexican superstar, so he'd probably be booked like ADR in terms of level of push.

Ciampa/Joe was really a lot of fun and hard hitting for a squash. Would love to see them finally sign Ciampa and even Gargano to add to the next gen NXT group with Swann/Busick.

As for Nakamura I do think his charisma would translate and from an in ring standpoint he would get over easily. For any of the Japanese wrestlers it's always going to come down to can they speak English and can creative come up with something that works and isn't racist?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. USWA and GWF (Global) on the Network now. Fucking amazing. Check out GWF for early Harlem Heat as the Ebony Express and X-Pac when he was a baby. Also GWF had the best Patriot, Del Wilkes. Awesome physique and fire.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did WWE just remember what they owned the archives of?

Still no Saturday Night. Soon... Soon. Get some WCW Pro Wrestling in there too with that 90s as fuck tv set

Zach

Wooow. Smoky Mountain Wrestling... they're adding all kinds of weird crap.

Still furious that every WCW show ever isn't up yet, though. >:O

Ciampa/Joe was really a lot of fun and hard hitting for a squash. Would love to see them finally sign Ciampa and even Gargano to add to the next gen NXT group with Swann/Busick.

As for Nakamura I do think his charisma would translate and from an in ring standpoint he would get over easily. For any of the Japanese wrestlers it's always going to come down to can they speak English and can creative come up with something that works and isn't racist?

Nakamura speaks English just fine, but he has a pretty heavy accent.

Yeah been watching some Smoky Mountain including the Thrillseekers and Gangstas debuts. I have to wonder what the Rock n Roll express thought of Jericho/Storm using a top rope double dropkick as their finish. Also a surreal moment watching New Jack and Mustapha having a "traditional" wrestling match and no plunder being used.

POP's okay with seeing if ad revenue comes in. Like DA's deal, they're able to end things early if unsatisfied

TNA could realistically be kicked off a network in September for the third year in a row

Top Bottom