• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Yousefb

You didn't feel affection for Punk or Bryan? Watch out pal, people are preparing their "hi stro" or "gimmick poster" rebuttals as we speak, but if we mention it and call it out ahead of time you may be spared!

Network is fuckin' dope for what it costs and what you get. I don't spend a lot of time shilling for legitshook.com like I probably ought to or is expected, but there's a ton of great writeups there for WWE content. Especially the 2014 year in review stuff for WWE, lots of notable matches that you can find that are worth tracking down. You'll enjoy it.

Here's Pt1, there are many more. Worth reading for sure.
http://www.legitshook.com/bestofwwe2014/2014/11/29/best-of-wwe-2014-part-1
Oh man, I did not even think about that, haha. I'm not trolling please believe me! Seriously though, I didon't dislike them. In fact, I actually did like when Punk became the leader of Nexus. It looked like a big strong stable was coming into the spotlight and I loved that. If my memory serves me correctly though, Cena just destroyed and it kinda fizzled at some point. With it was my interest. As for Daniel Bryan, I knew he was a good technical wrestler which the company was lacking in at time, but I don't know, maybe it was just bad timing. I suppose when Punk and Bryan made it to the limelight I was just dissatisfied with the product as a whole that they were not enough to keep me hooked.

Never heard of legitshook.com thanks for the suggestion!

It seems to me that WWE is booked around Wrestlemania a lot more than in previous generations. So, right now is the nadir of the entertainment value with it picking up in the lead to the rumble starting next month. It was the same last year - people were similarly saying the show was worse than it's ever been. The way it seems to work now is the default status of WWE is low simmer, very boring, no stakes or storylines of note and then every few months one or two things pop up which are worth following
Yeah you make a good point. I remember back in the day pretty much every PPV was a must watch for me because it always felt like the stakes were high. Hell, it wasn't just in the main events either.
yessssssssss
My man.

there is only one answer

w4rV1q2.gif
Cosign. He just looks so peaceful.
Look at this majestic motherfucker

Y3qiaRk.gif

He's got that unburialable look about him. YOU'LL NEVER FULLY RUIN HIM VINCE DO YOUR WORST.
There's nothing majestic about this gif.

WtassleGAF! It's been a long time since I stopped paying attention to wrestling. I've always had somewhat of a love hate relationship with the product. Like many of you here I grew up with it in the 90's and devoured it every week. Around 2001 I stopped paying attention until the amazing 2004 with the Royal Rumble where [removed] won. Then WrestlemaniaXX came along and I was a believer again. I stayed a big fan up for a couple years aND was thoroughly hyped when Batista and Cena rose to the top. Around that time I started college and my interest started to fade again. My brothers still watched so I would check every now and then but it just didnt grab me like before. The transition to PG was in full swing and I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Two things got me back in to it in 2011. The return of Brett Hart (who I finally got to see when they came to Boston that year) and of course the Rock. At that point i started to watch it as a guilty pleasure of sorts. The story lines and characters were not as good as before but I enjoyed it anyway. Also it helps that during that time I used to watch RAW while following along these threads. They made the episodes immensely more enjoyable lol. But that could only last so long. Eventually I got tired of the Cena show and I didn't feel the same affection for Punk or Bryan that the rest of the Internet seemed to have. So for the past 3 years I've not paid attention at all and I have no idea who any of these new faces in the company are. But, here I am yet again at that part of the cycle where I'm interested in coming back to it. What really got me is WWE Network. I decided to use that free month to fuel my nostalgia. Plus there's a lasertime podcast called Cheap Popcast that's fun to listen to.

My questions to you WrassleGaF are: Is it worth checking out today at all? And what are some essential ppvs/matches I should watch on WWE network? Whether they are from the modern times or the attitude era Im just looking for a fun back and forth match that has the crowd on fire. I don't think that's too much to ask right? Heh

Welcome back, Stro.

For as much as we joke about stro I really don't remember his posting very well. All I can recall is him reviewing all of those WCW shows and making his date sit three rows back at an ROH performance.

Yeah, okay Mick.
19b93005_m.png

Current Sarah Lee

I lived in her hometown (if you want to call Hope a town since there's absolutely nothing there, it's more just a township) for a short while when I was little and still live close by. They should bill her from Midland, it's the main city in the county anyway.

Speaking of Tough Enough I didn't like what little I saw of ZZ on Tough Enough but watching Breaking Ground... Fuck that guy. What I would've done to be in his position when I was 19 trying to make it. All this time and his cardio is still complete shit. Every time he says "I'm 19 man" or something to that effect I want to slap him across the face with an oar.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Nia Jax would be a hell of a heater for Eva Marie.

Dion314

Neo Member
Speaking of Tough Enough I didn't like what little I saw of ZZ on Tough Enough but watching Breaking Ground... Fuck that guy. What I would've done to be in his position when I was 19 trying to make it. All this time and his cardio is still complete shit. Every time he says "I'm 19 man" or something to that effect I want to slap him across the face with an oar.

I didn't watch Tough Enough at all but from what I've seen on BG, he doesn't seem like he deserves the contract to be there and I wonder how/why he got it in the first place. I'd use immaturity as an excuse but somewhere in the world there's a 19 year old busting his or her ass, hoping and praying to get a shot at making it to NXT so he doesn't get a pass.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, give us a Fave Five!

Everyone give a Fave Five Wrestler list!

However this time...the twist is...

WWE Active Fave Five

not much of a twist considering people don't get out much

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Welcome back, Stro.

You didn't feel affection for Punk or Bryan? Watch out pal, people are preparing their "hi stro" or "gimmick poster" rebuttals as we speak, but if we mention it and call it out ahead of time you may be spared!

Network is fuckin' dope for what it costs and what you get. I don't spend a lot of time shilling for legitshook.com like I probably ought to or is expected, but there's a ton of great writeups there for WWE content. Especially the 2014 year in review stuff for WWE, lots of notable matches that you can find that are worth tracking down. You'll enjoy it.

Here's Pt1, there are many more. Worth reading for sure.
http://www.legitshook.com/bestofwwe2014/2014/11/29/best-of-wwe-2014-part-1

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also I'm kinda tired of people asking if New Day can count as one anything. I'm tired of the treatment of black Superstars. They stand on their own merit.

That said Big E is my favorite. Makes anything magical. Whether it's Total Divas or Raw, he's the one to watch.

Big E is the best New Day member for sure. Glad people are finally jumping on that bandwagon.

More free indy shit on YouTube! This time, a company called NWA:TNA have put their entire first show online for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAhcLOQOFw

Six Man Tag Team Match
AJ Styles, Jerry Lynn & Lo-Ki vs. The Flying Elvises (Jimmy Yang, Jorge Estrada & Sonny Siaki)

Midget Match
Hollywood vs. Teo

Tag Team Match
James Storm & Psicosis vs. The Johnsons (Richard Johnson & Rod Johnson) (w/Mortimer Plumtree)

Tag Team Match
Christian York & Joey Matthews vs. The Dupps (Bo Dupp & Stan Dupp) (w/Fluff Dupp)

Gauntlet For The Gold Battle Royal
Brian Christopher vs. Bruce vs. Buff Bagwell vs. Chris Harris vs. Del Rios vs. Devon Storm vs. Gran Apolo vs. Jeff Jarrett vs. Justice vs. K-Krush vs. Ken Shamrock vs. Konnan vs. Lash LeRoux vs. Malice vs. Norman Smiley vs. Rick Steiner vs. Scott Hall vs. Slash vs. Steve Corino vs. The Vampire Warrior

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match (vakant) (Special Referee: Ricky Steamboat)
? vs ?

Yeah, okay Mick.

I lived in her hometown (if you want to call Hope a town since there's absolutely nothing there, it's more just a township) for a short while when I was little and still live close by. They should bill her from Midland, it's the main city in the county anyway.

He doesn't want to be a wrestler, he wants to be a reality TV star.

Savitar

Rolling Stone speaks with Brad Maddox.

But Maddox isn't mad. In fact, when he spoke to Rolling Stone, the man now known as "Mad Braddox" admitted that his firing was probably a good thing. Here's what he had to say about getting released by WWE, the frustrations he felt backstage and where he goes next.

What, exactly, led to you being released from WWE last week?
I had a dark match in Indianapolis and I called the Indianapolis crowd "pricks." I didn't think anything of it. That's never been a bad word to me. I didn't think it was inappropriate. Vince [McMahon] was watching and did not like it. That was pretty much the reason.

Did you get a chance to sit down with Vince and try to explain your side at all?
No, I didn't get a chance to talk to him before I left. I wanted to, but I didn't get a chance to. When I came to the back, people seemed split on it. Half the locker room didn't think I could say that, the other half didn't see a problem with it. To me, it's like saying "screw you." I didn't think it was inappropriate at all, especially for a dark match. I was out there trying to work up the crowd. It's not for TV. I'm making fun of the hometown and their football team and talking to them directly. I was just trying to warm the crowd up, that was my role. It just didn't work out.

Do you feel there's a bit of hypocrisy involved here, because sometimes you see people on TV saying much worse things than "prick" and nothing happens to them…
No, just because those things are cleared ahead of time. You could call this "going into business for myself." Which I really didn't do. I didn't think that I'd go out there and call them pricks and get noticed more. That's not what I was doing at all. My words weren't cleared ahead of time though. That's the real difference.

I'd like to talk a bit about your career in WWE. You had been in FCW for a while, doing well there, but when you were called up, it was as a referee. Did you know that was going to be your role?
I was told that it was going to move into a wrestling role. That was a concern of mine. I liked the creative idea of doing something different and unique, but I didn't want to become a full-time talker. I wanted to wrestle. I did all the things in developmental that they said you have to do. They put trust in me by giving me several different championships in FCW. They gave me the Jack Brisco FCW 15 Championship, which was their real wrestling title, the equivalent of the Intercontinental Championship. I had the FCW tag titles with Rick Victor. I expected it to morph into a regular wrestling role.

What I didn't know at the time was that it was a gimmick just to win CM Punk another match. I should have been more proactive about that. I should have gone to Vince right off the bat, asked if he knew who I was and knew that I could wrestle. I should have asked where this was going and what they were going to do with me now that I was here. I just kind of expected the writers to have some grand plan for Brad Maddox, and I certainly shouldn't have assumed that. That would probably be one big regret, assuming that it was going to turn into something bigger than what it was.

More at the link.

Top Bottom