• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.
tumblr_n4cxq1Ahjk1rq5iico1_400.png

I just watched a Saturday Night's Main Event from 1992, and saw more interesting wrestling and storytelling then anything from Main Line WWE in 2014.

Things I saw that you don't see anymore:

Heels walking away to retain the title
Managers being more than eye candy
Heels removing the turnbuckle cover
Heels doing stuff blatantly behind the referees back and telling the crowd to shut up
Rest holds that aren't just sleepers - short arm scissors, leg grapevines, etc

That always seems like a huge, logical heel move. Using the system to their advantage, shits me when it doesn't happen.

All the floor seats have sold out for the Tokyo Dome, so that's about 35k sold before you even factor in the stands. Guaranteed to be New Japan's biggest Dome show in years.

Dragon Gate was pretty good today, all the title matches were fun and people seemed to really like Hulk/Shingo, but it wasn't for me. I just can't buy Hulk in the top guy role. He's no CIMA.

All the floor seats have sold out for the Tokyo Dome, so that's about 35k sold before you even factor in the stands. Guaranteed to be New Japan's biggest Dome show in years.

Dragon Gate was pretty good today, all the title matches were fun and people seemed to really like Hulk/Shingo, but it wasn't for me. I just can't buy Hulk in the top guy role. He's no CIMA.

BxB Hulk, or whatever persona he's using now, just doesn't seem serious enough despite the heavy story lines they've given him over the years, like Sting-Hulk.

Ithil

No surprise the Tokyo Dome is selling well, with the hot past couple of years and the big matches on this year. They've built Wrestle Kingdom a lot better this year than last year.

Alucard

Banned
Should pobably be the new #25 on wwe.coms top matches of 2014. "The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best To Be Replaced By Mike Adamle" is the commentary line of the year.

EDIT: That "I have until 5" is straight out of ROH, right? I don't think he's done it in WWE before.

Yeah, "I have 'til 5" is straight out of the ROH heel Danielson playbook.

Watching the episode on the network where dx was formed

Do anyone remember when they spray painted the nation locker room and did they use any racial slurs?

So many stables, wish it was like that today

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
DG was only middling? I may still watch it though. Always have fun with their talent.

DG was only middling? I may still watch it though. Always have fun with their talent.

Brave Gate was good, Triangle Gate was great, Twin Gate was good and the Dream Gate was good to great, but I guess it'll depend on how sold you are on Hulk. With the match they showed at intermission (the hair vs hair match where BxB got his head shaved) and the pre-match video package it telegraphed the story of the match and, ultimately, the outcome. As I care not for Hulk, I couldn't get invested and the dozen or so near-falls meant nothing to me. Lots of people were freaking out for it on twitter though, so what do I know.

strobogo

Banned
He just needs it trimmed and shaped a bit. Bray's beard is bigger but doesn't look nearly as disgusting, even though it would make sense for his gimmick to have a disgusting beard (like Harper).

It's a real shame Dalton didn't get another Bond movie. License to Kill was the best Bond movie in like 15 years.

^^ That's what daniel bryan needs to do. Come back a stupid caveman like in the pic above (his yes gimmick still works here), or come back a heel hipster. Make him champion and bring back the old WWE title for his reign because it's vintage. Quit saying the yes chant because it has become too mainstream. His wrestling attire should be his regular outside clothing.

Fox318

^^ That's what daniel bryan needs to do. Come back a stupid caveman like in the pic above (his yes gimmick still works here), or come back a heel hipster. Make him champion and bring back the old WWE title for his reign because it's vintage. Quit saying the yes chant because it has become too mainstream. His wrestling attire should be his regular outside clothing.
Only problem with the yes chant is they have been encouraging it when he was out.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3 - C+
In Your House 4 - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5 - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6 - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7 - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8 - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9 - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10 - C
In Your House 11 - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12 - C

Everyone's a tweener! IYH12 was a weird one. The matches were pretty sloppy overall, but I think guys were just trying too hard to have a good match. The event had a volatile air to it, which I appreciate.

Let us never speak of The Executioner again.

Everyone's a tweener! IYH12 was a weird one. The matches were pretty sloppy overall, but I think guys were just trying too hard to have a good match. The event had a volatile air to it, which I appreciate.

I find it hard to remember the IYHs without their subtitles.

strobogo

Banned

You can tell that Russo is on the writing team. You can actually tell from Mind Games, but his influence is ALL over IYH 12. Heel vs heel matches, run ins everywhere. Buried Alive is even more blatant. Right around September of 1996, everyone in the WWF became an asshole. Doesn't matter what alignment they had. Everyone was an asshole.

Strobogo, do you think he should use a real club or something made out of hollow plastic?

Depends on who is hosting the show, I suppose.

daniel-bryan-beard-001.jpg

He had this awesome samurai look but it never took because he flew around the ring too much. Since he won't be doing that anymore, he should give it another go.

Paracelsus

Tweener today means "you suck at being either face or heel". A real tweener is above all of this, like Austin, going from being a face to stunning Stacy Keibler nonchalantly.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

007 License To Kill (1989)

Let me first start off by saying this movie is DOPE AS FUCK. It's mean and violent and bloody and a straight up revenge movie instead of a spy movie. In fact, Bond actually isn't part of MI6 for the majority of the movie. He's a rogue agent for the majority of the movie. He's pissed and out for revenge. Revenge he gets. Revenge without a pun, even. It's rad.

Bond Girls are hotter than they'd been in years and Pam Bouvie has to be near or at the top of the list of bad ass Bond Girls. At no point is she anything close to a damsel in distress and she saves Bond's ass a number of times. The score is darker than usual, and the theme song references GoldFINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, so that's dope.

It's a real shame Dalton didn't get another movie. I'd have loved to see the direction the series went with him, because it was looking like a pretty bright future. I enjoyed the shit out of it and recommend it to all. Fans of Bond and 80s action movies alike. Might be the second best after Goldfinger. The only complaint I have is that there should have been fewer puns. I mean, there were only a couple to begin with, but they felt out of place like a "Well, Bond HAS to say one liners" kind of way. Luckily, there aren't enough to take away from the mood and tone of the movie.

strobogo

Banned
DOOM. Good look. Boring everything else. Still more entertaining than the Usos though

Doom was good when in the ring with other big guys and they'd have HOSS battles. Like the Steiners or LOD. Steiners FUCKED them up every time. Just dumping those dudes on their heads. Ron Simmons invented the Stone Cold Stunner in one of their matches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Doom was good when in the ring with other big guys and they'd have HOSS battles. Like the Steiners or LOD. Steiners FUCKED them up every time. Just dumping those dudes on their heads. Ron Simmons invented the Stone Cold Stunner in one of their matches.

I just watched them wrestle Vader & Bam Bam. Can't get much more Hoss in the 90s than that, but it was nothing special. Lots of punches and kicks and Vader hitting a decent looking body block. And the announcers called Vader & Bam Bam 'Monster Panic' which is the first time I've ever heard their team given a name. But face Vader has some Marc Mero tendencies of expecting a crowd reaction out of every move, and that gets old quickly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brave Gate was good, Triangle Gate was great, Twin Gate was good and the Dream Gate was good to great, but I guess it'll depend on how sold you are on Hulk. With the match they showed at intermission (the hair vs hair match where BxB got his head shaved) and the pre-match video package it telegraphed the story of the match and, ultimately, the outcome. As I care not for Hulk, I couldn't get invested and the dozen or so near-falls meant nothing to me. Lots of people were freaking out for it on twitter though, so what do I know.

I really enjoy BxB Hulk so I'm one of those folks. I'll watch it.

Top Bottom