• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.
The problem is that in a world where wrestlers are on Twitter and Facebook, Bray Wyatt makes no sense. When wrestling was an enclosed world, somebody like The Undertaker or Kevin Sullivan running a cult made sense.

Now, where every mark can see a post of Bray Wyatt celebrating Christmas w/ IRS & Bo Dallas, there's no mystique. And with no mystique, there's no character.

Unfortunately, the WWE is in this weird place where they're trying too hard to be set in the real world for people to separate the characters and actors like say, in Game of Thrones. After all, you don't see Lena Headley making twitter posts going after Peter Dinklage for killing her son, like you see guys on Twitter occasionally do.
Right on, though overall I'm into 2014 kayfabe.

There was a recent interview with Rollins where he talked up how Sting being in the ring with him was beyond what he expected for a bucket list, but at the end of all the praise, he drops "I still hate that piece of crap for costing me the biggest match of my life." I like that.

Heel

I dunno, WWE had lightning in a bottle and had a chance to establish Bray as a cerebral assassin. I still stand by Bray's "race horse" promo as the best of 2014. Could the writing have carried it in the long term? Well, that's in doubt to say the least.

In any case, Sina snatched his soul with the "Pearls in the Pants" promo and his career has been meandering ever since. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a hot bullet point in this era of wrestling history.

Imagine this:

Royal Rumble 2015

The clock is counting down to the final entrant -- #30 -- in the Rumble.

*BUZZ*

Pause

Then...

This.

FINAL COUNTDOWN??? WHAT THE HAIL KIND OF NERDY SHIT IS THIS MAGGLE

Imagine this:

Royal Rumble 2015

The clock is counting down to the final entrant -- #30 -- in the Rumble.

*BUZZ*

Pause

Then...

This.

FINAL COUNTDOWN??? WHAT THE HAIL KIND OF NERDY SHIT IS THIS MAGGLE
dHFg8al.gif

Heel

Bray really started struggling when he began using Fozzy lyrics in his promos.

Talkin' 'bout me, oh so softly, you say I can't explain, Jahn
I'll make it happen, no distraction, you know I can't be tamed, Jahn
One night could be a million [?] one chance is all I need, Jahn
I will complete this mission, damn you, I will succeed, Jahn

Away from my past because in my eyes, I can do anything,
Now watch me rise, JAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

Wyatt still has a tendency to ramble in his promos and i think they're too long sometimes, but he's still captivating every time he picks up a microphone, not to mention he's got amazing presence, he's fine in the ring too though i'd like to see more power moves from him

Not one of Wyatt's promos has ever made anyone think, "Hey, I'd like to pay to see someone fight Wyatt over what he's saying." If he can't accomplish that, what's the point of cutting a promo? (This applies to everyone else.)

Team Authority versus Team Cena was quite simply the best booked multiman match in decades. I'm struggling to think of a Wargames match after the early 90's that was laid out better.

If the match didn't have Stang in it at all (or maybe if Stang had been a total surprise) it would have been just a bit better. The last ten minutes before he shows up though are wonderful.

Team ROH vs Team CZW, Cage of Death, Death Before Dishonor IV.

strobogo

Banned
I'd like to point out that 90% of Jake's promos were, "I'm dark and mysterious and evil" OR "I'm good, but that doesn't mean I can't be dark and mysterious and evil".

You know what would sell me on Reigns a bit more; if he had a submission move. He'd be the type of guy that would lock that shit in.

I remember someone here monkeying around the idea that he should have a rear naked choke as a move. That'd be kind of baller.

Alucard

Banned
Finished watching ROH A Night of Appreciation from 2002. Some gifs.

Eddie Guerrero tossing up Amazing Red for a top rope rana
Eddie%20Amazing%20Red.gif

Low Ki kayfabe punching Christopher Daniels. Looked legit stiff the first time I saw it, but upon closer inspection...
Low%20Ki%20Punches%20Christopher%20Daniels.gif

Alucard

Banned
So, apparently Alberto El Patron asked for a match with ACH...and he also wants one with Kyle O'Reilly. However, the current plan for the March 1st PPV is apparently El Patron vs. Jay Lethal for the ROH TV Title.

DG Final Gate tonight. Make sure to watch it if you are bitching about WWE aka everyone on this page.

Lol, so just you and me then?

Should be a good show, hoping Shingo wins, but I'm guessing the Millennials will lose the Twin Gate titles. Jimmyz retain the Trios and Flamita loses the Brave Gate to Punch.

Am I mad in remembering Team Cena vs Team Authority not being that good? For me it was more of a case of expecting complete and utter shit then getting an okayish match with a stupid finish.

Second half was great. Ziggler was great. Rollins was great. H was great. The Sting thing wasn't great but him being there was markout as fuck.
Fuck Big Show.

In terms of promo ability, while Bray Wyatt mumbles about nonsense for far too long, Jimmy Uso rocketed past him with five simple words:

"Stay away from my wife!"

Total Divas giving the writers better material than Vince and Dunn ever could!

Seriously fuck creative for the regurgitated bullshit they make Bray use. What a waste of a great talent.
Really sucks he and Ambrose got saddled with this holding period feud, either make it balls out or let them go off and do something else.

The problem is that in a world where wrestlers are on Twitter and Facebook, Bray Wyatt makes no sense. When wrestling was an enclosed world, somebody like The Undertaker or Kevin Sullivan running a cult made sense.

Now, where every mark can see a post of Bray Wyatt celebrating Christmas w/ IRS & Bo Dallas, there's no mystique. And with no mystique, there's no character.

They seem to be handling Rusev well on social media. Still looks like a badass even outside the ring
and only plays the best game ever made by Mother Russia

If they wanted to keep the mystique going out of the ring they probably could. They control their wrestlers 24/7 after all.

Does H hate that fuckwit? I hope he hates him. I really hope so, then he can fire him the day after Vince kicks the bucket. Jesus he's been on that table for a long time now.

Lol, so just you and me then?

Should be a good show, hoping Shingo wins, but I'm guessing the Millennials will lose the Twin Gate titles. Jimmyz retain the Trios and Flamita loses the Brave Gate to Punch.

I am guessing so. That being said, I will prolly pass out sometime during the intermission. And Punch is awesome. Super excited for all the title matches.

I just watched a Saturday Night's Main Event from 1992, and saw more interesting wrestling and storytelling then anything from Main Line WWE in 2014.

Things I saw that you don't see anymore:

Heels walking away to retain the title
Managers being more than eye candy
Heels removing the turnbuckle cover
Heels doing stuff blatantly behind the referees back and telling the crowd to shut up
Rest holds that aren't just sleepers - short arm scissors, leg grapevines, etc

Anth0ny

wyatt has been complete garbage since he lost to cena at mania

promos have been the same "spooky" shit since his debut. HE'S CUT THE SAME PROMO FOR 12 STRAIGHT MONTHS.

his match with bryan at rumble was the peak of his run.

neither wyatt or ambrose have looked strong during their current shitty feud.

Top Bottom