• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.
Live events this year

Raw during the build,to mania. Had Brock/ taker contract singing

NJPW/ROH war of the world's. Really great show

Evolve 35. Really great

Vader wasn't on it. It was named after him and then he got injured. Zach is going to realize Vader's whole WWF run was garbage. He was booked TERRIBLY.

Yeah I realised that as soon as I went to wiki to check to see who Vader was facing. Such shame.
I know I liked Vader, but I have no idea WHY and WHEN I got to like him. I know I only ever saw his WWF stuff first, so I'm confused as to why I'd like him if he was booked so bad. I only saw his WCW and Japan stuff YEARS later. I guess he just looked mean as sin.

If I were to play a Bond game, which one should I go for? I mean, Goldeneye I played so many times, and I played at least one or two of the PS2 games.

I'm thinking From Russia with Love, Goldeneye Reloaded, or 007 Legends. I don't think I've played any of them. Which is the best?
Everything or nothing.

strobogo

Banned
Vader comes in with all this hype and already injured, so he does that thing with killing the refs and Monsoon and then he's out for a while to get fixed. He comes back and his first singles match has him having to win with outside interference from Corny. His first PPV solo match is with Yoko where he is FULL ON chicken shit heel and also needs help to win. And that's just pretty much how he is for the rest of the year. Going all soft on HBK ruined whatever aura he had left. By the start of 1997, he was fat, tired, slow, looked to be in pain most of the time, and just generally sucked.

All these matches that should be dream matches and they were boring and terribly booked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah I realised that as soon as I went to wiki to check to see who Vader was facing. Such shame.
I know I liked Vader, but I have no idea WHY and WHEN I got to like him. I know I only ever saw his WWF stuff first, so I'm confused as to why I'd like him if he was booked so bad. I only saw his WCW and Japan stuff YEARS later. I guess he just looked mean as sin.

He beat up Gorilla

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jim Cornette also hasn't enhanced a single talent that he's managed. He's a hack who, for some unknown reason, has gotten famous despite being one of the worst managers in wrestling history who only got by because he looked like some country momma's boy. The only reason he's not completely forgotten is because his opinion lines up with the generic IWC mentality.

Vince Russo destroyed a lot of careers, but Cornette is the kind of guy who complains about whoever's in office but when you ask him if he voted, he says 'WHY BOTHER?! ITS ALL A SCAM ANYWAYS'

So how come we all seem to think Vader is awesome (except for his WWE run) when most of us probably saw his WWE run first - right? I'm honestly sitting here wondering why, at least for myself.

I know I never saw his WCW/Japan stuff until way later, but it's like I KNOW he's a mean bastard and tough as nails.

Marvel

could never
I honestly can't listen to a Cornette interview shoot or otherwise for more than 5 minutes at a time. Dude stresses me out.

So how come we all seem to think Vader is awesome (except for his WWE run) when most of us probably saw his WWE run first - right? I'm honestly sitting here wondering why, at least for myself.

I know I never saw his WCW/Japan stuff until way later, but it's like I KNOW he's a mean bastard and tough as nails.

Vader matches in Japan on Youtube was one of the first non WWE stuff I saw, and that convinced me. His WWE tenure was past my time. And I'm pretty sure posters like Data saw his WCW stuff

strobogo

Banned

Because VADER TIME, fatty throwing moonsaults and powerbombs, the music, the cool mask, red and black are almost always cool unless it is the Wolfpac, Boy Meets World.

I saw some WCW stuff before, though. Not a ton. Some of his last stuff before leaving WCW I remember and a couple of PPV tapes from 1992-1993.

Because VADER TIME, fatty throwing moonsaults and powerbombs, the music, the cool mask, red and black are almost always cool unless it is the Wolfpac, Boy Meets World.

I saw some WCW stuff before, though. Not a ton. Some of his last stuff before leaving WCW I remember and a couple of PPV tapes from 1992-1993.

Yeah The Vaderbomb was awesome, and IT'S TIME, IT'S VADER TIME was some entrance.

Good guy Chono;

K178olw.gif

That match was so ridiculous.

Data West said:
Jack's done a good job of turning my opinion on pre-80s wrestling. Obviously Jack is an exception(a lot of wrestlers from that era called him the greatest technician of all time) and he's working with an amazing prime Inoki who's constantly learning and getting better and better, but it gives me the exact vibe of that era of wrestling and shows how it can work and how it can be competitive and dramatic rather than slow and pointless.

Definitely going to check this out, I haven't seen enough of Brisco and sounds like he meshed well with Inoki. Have you seen the Billy Robinson match? It's a long one, but well worth a watch.

Jim Cornette also hasn't enhanced a single talent that he's managed.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he was a big part of the mega heat the Midnight Express had back in the day.

Btw, how many wrestling shows did you guys attend this year?

7 PROGRESS shows and 3 RevPro shows, pretty good year :)

strobogo

Banned
Vader was amazing in WCW. Vader in WWF? Not so much.

How frustrated were you at how shitty his booking was for Vader vs Yoko? I have that review coming up and it killed a part of my soul to see Vader booked like a generic chickenshit heel like that. Against a morbidly obese, can barely move/breathe dude like Yoko.

Yokozuna was sent to Duke University’s weight loss clinic in order to lose weight but he would actually “escape” during the night and eat at various fast food establishments. By October 1999, he was a reported 760 lbs. and was actively trying to gain weight in order to become the heaviest professional wrestler in history.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I saw Vader in WCW way before WWF. Vader was the reason I initially checked out WWF because he went there from WCW. And the reason I shortly stopped watching it again.

Vader was booked shitty in WWF, but does it really matter? He's still had the kind of career very, very, very few wrestlers wouldn't be jealous of. Vader was also already in his 40s when he showed up in WWF.

• A lot of people forget, but Vader was super big in the early 90s. Which was quite the feat in WCW before they started beating WWF in ratings. He was parodied/featured in video games, comic books, toy lines, talk shows, and so on.
• He had a deal with WCW where he could work WCW shows and NJPW shows, and NJPW paid him very well as did WCW. The guy made a ton of money in the late 80s and early 90s. A lot of wrestlers weren't allowed to do that back then, especially world champions. Hell, a lot of wrestlers didn't HAVE contracts back then.
• Huge star in NJPW. Held wins over legends who would rarely put anyone over at the time. First ever Gaijin IWGP champion and one of the longest reigning IWGP champions of all time. Keep in mind, this was also when Japan was still making big money according to both Vader and Bam Bam in their shoots. Not just NJPW either. Everyone.
• Huge star in WCW. For most of early 90s WCW, the faces of WCW were Sting and Vader. Not Flair. TV guide would always mention Sting and Vader every week, I remember that. Even if they weren't wrestling each other, they'd mention who they were wrestling. Steiners and Luger were fine too, but they were the centerpieces of the company and were one of the few reasons people watched.
• Second most successful big man wrestler of all time behind Andre. Not just in championships but in tv ratings, money earned, and just being seen as a valuable commodity.

The only reason Vader isn't as well remembered is because none of his success was in WWF. With the Network, with him being on the 'best big man' DVD box with Andre and Bam Bam, he'll likely get a little more remembered, but the dude was a megastar in the states and in Japan in the late 80s and early 90s. So I'm not going to be bothered that Shawn didn't want him to be a star in WWF.
Did Vader and Scott Norton ever trade haymakers for 30 minutes?

IF they did, there's no footage of it. There's also no footage of Vader vs Quake. They did tag team a few times though.
Good guy Chono;

K178olw.gif

That match was so ridiculous.

Much different outcome than Onita vs Sasaki
Definitely going to check this out, I haven't seen enough of Brisco and sounds like he meshed well with Inoki. Have you seen the Billy Robinson match? It's a long one, but well worth a watch.

Only 70s stuff I've checked out so far has been Andre/Hogan stuff and Brisco vs Inoki. There's more Wes Brisco matches than Jack Brisco matches. Ain't that fucked? Makes sense though, Jack worked more AJPW than NJPW. I think even the Inoki match was a 'special event' match. I'd say it starts slow like most matches of that type, but I don't think it does. Like as soon as you see the match start you realize it's a Jack Brisco match and it's gonna go a certain way. And it does. The most 'big spot' moments are at the end, and they're all at the hands of Inoki.

strobogo

Banned
Inoki vs Jumbo would have been THE TITS. They should have headlined a joint NJ/AJ show and had Hansen, Brody, Andre, and whatever other giant gaijin that was around at the time to run in at the end and have Jumbo, Inoki and another star from each company (probably Fujinami and idk, Choshu or something) fight them off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And this was incredible to watch
tumblr_nh2iwp8CCr1tx8dnyo5_400.gif

Inoki vs Jumbo would have been THE TITS. They should have headlined a joint NJ/AJ show and had Hansen, Brody, Andre, and whatever other giant gaijin that was around at the time to run in at the end and have Jumbo, Inoki and another star from each company (probably Fujinami and idk, Choshu or something) fight them off.

Ernie Ladd would have been cool since him and Andre and Hansen have history, but I don't think Ladd did much in Japan.

He looks fucking awesome. As a kid I thought he was a fucking demon sent from hell or something. I can't recall any of his matches but I do remember thinking he was scary and dangerous, which made me worry and care about whoever he was fighting at the time.

RP912

Banned
Vader hasn't been the same since Hogan no sold the power bomb. Vader was suppose to be a legit wrestler that could have ended hulkamania, but fucking hogan man.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vader hasn't been the same since Hogan no sold the power bomb. Vader was suppose to be a legit wrestler that could have ended hulkamania, but fucking hogan man.

If you can't get over because Hulk no-sold your move then you're fucked. Because Hulk no-sells everyones move.

Scott Steiner kicked out of the power bomb too.

RP912

Banned
If you can't get over because Hulk no-sold your move then you're fucked. Because Hulk no-sells everyones move.

Scott Steiner kicked out of the power bomb too.

the difference is that steiner kicked out of the bomb...hogan gets up after impact. :/ The fuck!

At least lay down and embrace the canvas before you let your ego take over....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hulk already no-sold the Earthquake splash by that point and that was the move that did end Hulkamania. He's Hulk Hogan. It's what he does.

Undertaker does the same shit but no one complains. It's like Hulk Hogan's super hero powers are cartoony and dumb but somehow Undertaker's zombie powers aren't.

RP912

Banned
Hulk already no-sold the Earthquake splash by that point and that was the move that did end Hulkamania. He's Hulk Hogan. It's what he does.

Undertaker does the same shit but no one complains. It's like Hulk Hogan's super hero powers are cartoony and dumb but somehow Undertaker's zombie powers aren't.

Taker has legit excuses...he has the urn.

I think it's because Undertaker is supposed to be an undead zombie man, so no selling is part of the gimmick. It's like an attraction; "see the spooky wrestler who can't be hurt oooo"

Gimmick wise Hogan isn't more or less human than any other wrestler, but no sells because he's allegedly the better wrestler

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Murdoch vs Adonis was solid. Nice bulldog from Adonis. Nice kipup from Murdoch. It's 84 and Adonis is already fat as fuck. Murdoch is really over in Japan. Adonis threw the flowers down(foreshadowing?) at the start, so I assume he was working heel. The former tag partners hugged at the end and Murdoch held the ropes for Adonis. I thought that was a really nice touch.

I've lurked in this thread for awhile and figured its a good time to post. At the WWE Live event at Hershey Park with my 8 year old. She's hyped.:)

Selkies!

Does anyone follow NOAH at all? If so.. where? I've been trying to watch that Harada match from Great Voyage earlier this month and the spots I usually check (XWT and Dailymotion) are empty. The only NOAH match I've seen in like 2 years is KENTA's farewell tag so I'm kind of drawing a blank.

Top Bottom