• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NJPW's junior division in 2007 > now
image2mpsjk.jpg

I like every single person in this match. Some are from other promotions but whatever. Better than anorexic eggplant head Taguchi.

This year, I got to see Heath Slater beat Seth Rollins live and scream "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HIS FRIEND" at Hornswoggle when he cost Fandango a match. And John Cena wasn't there. What a good show!

NJPW's junior division in 2007 > now

I like every single person in this match. Some are from other promotions but whatever. Better than anorexic eggplant head Taguchi.

The guys I like least in the division at that time, Taguchi & Inoue, held the Jr. title for most of 2007. Wish Milano hadn't had to retire.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The guys I like least in the division at that time, Taguchi & Inoue, held the Jr. title for most of 2007. Wish Milano hadn't had to retire.

He was getting a bis push at the time after signing with NJPW after his US indie tour. I remember Chono basically picking him as his successor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll also still hold that he has the best looking enzuigiri of all time.
milanoenzfksr5.gif

They should put all of Super Jr 2007 on NJPW World

XenoRaven

I only want 1 wrestling subscription service. After R Evolution I was going to keep the WWE Network for NXT and the major WWE PPVs, but I think I'm going to go with NJPW World instead. More consistent quality and a great backlog of stuff I've always wanted to see.

chunk3rvd

Btw, how many wrestling shows did you guys attend this year?

Personal record for me this year at 12 shows which is surprising since past years have involved a Mania weekend where you're hitting 4-6 shows in 4 days:

4 Infinite Promotions shows (my local promotion in Liverpool)
ICW show in Liverpool (where I became a Drew McIntyre believer)
PCW show in April (Devitt/Travis may have been my favourite live match this year)
PCW outdoor show for Armed Forces Day
4 PCW/ROH shows (where Mastiff/Cole challenged Devitt/Travis for my MOTY and I became a big, big fan of ReDRagon and ACH)
HXC show in Manchester (over 18's company that had strippers everywhere, a white New Jack and Jimmy Havoc stapling shit to Cyanide)

Ever since I stopped being able to afford trips to the states I've made a bigger effort to try and sample all the stuff on my doorstep so it's been a good year for shows for me!

Despite all that I didn't bother going to WWE when they rolled into my home town last month but I wish I had just to hear Vince tell us we sound like a skin disease :/

dakun

Plus Cesaro new shirt shows what he thinks of his heritage:

they should totally develop a story line with him and how he's not getting his push despite being the best worker (that's what he has to say) and how they x, y, z are keeping him down etc.

Give a guy with mediocre to bad mic skills a relatable storyline and it could do wonders for him. Kinda like Bret Hart in 97 after he got screwed by Stone Cold..

Hell they could keep him heel and team him up with Rusev as the Swiss guy that is being kept down by Americans and them having the same "enemy"

at least a story like that could get him out of the Limbo state he is in right now.

they should totally develop a story line with him and how he's not getting his push despite being the best worker (that's what he has to say) and how they x, y, z are keeping him down etc.

Give a guy with mediocre to bad mic skills a relatable storyline and it could do wonders for him. Kinda like Bret Hart in 97 after he got screwed by Stone Cold..

Hell they could keep him heel and team him up with Rusev as the Swiss guy that is being kept down by Americans and them having the same "enemy"

at least a story like that could get him out of the Limbo state he is in right now.

We'll take that idea on board, but we'll probably just give him the yodelling gimmick again.

Alucard

Banned
I didn't expect to like Inoki/Brisco as much as I did. I love Jack Brisco, especially tagging with Geralrd, but his one on ones can be a bit slow because Jack works a mat style like nobody else. I mean, you watch Jack Brisco wrestling, and it's almost like a completely different set of rules. And I'm so-so on Inoki. He works well with the right opponents or the right storyline, but I wasn't expecting much from this one.

It's great. Watch it if you haven't seen it. Make no mistakes, it is a mat wrestling exhibition. It's so much a mat wrestling exhibition that there's a part where Jack elbows Inoki to get out of a hold and Inoki acts like 'oh you wanna fight for real now?' then Jack gets ready to go to fisticuffs, but they resume back to constant lockups and transitions. Jack even does what looked like a DDT(in 1975) but it was a switch into a pin that I had never seen before. It has the same pacing and wear and tear on the wrestlers like a typical wrestling punch kick affair, but it's so much more scientific. It's almost like they're wrestling for points. There's a part with Inoki grounding Brisco with a headlock and Jack constantly transitions it to a pin attempt, multiple times. It's actual wrestling transitions rather than 'ok hold my hand and i'm gonna do some moves then i'll hold your hand and you can do some moves.' There's a part with Inoki where he's got Jack set up for some submission move, and I didn't even see him roll into it and suddenly he had this great leglock. I don't even know what you'd call it, but he makes Brisco beg for him not to fall back and apply pressure.

At this point, it's clear it's become more heated than an exhibition. When Inoki had Jack in the hold earlier, Brisco resorted to socking him in the face and choking him to get out. So it's not just mat wrasslin. I thought this transition that followed was awesome.

Inoki transitions this into a bow and arrow which I didn't show because it would run on too long, but it looked great. Inoki also followed those with a beautiful butterfly suplex.

It is pre-Hulk Hogan wrasslin. Hell, it's pre-Ric Flair wrasslin. It is wrasslin. Everything about this match is a hundred times more believable than the insanely spot driven matches of today that are clearly made with a set time limit and as many spots as possible. You can see why people thought this was real. Jack's done a good job of turning my opinion on pre-80s wrestling. Obviously Jack is an exception(a lot of wrestlers from that era called him the greatest technician of all time) and he's working with an amazing prime Inoki who's constantly learning and getting better and better, but it gives me the exact vibe of that era of wrestling and shows how it can work and how it can be competitive and dramatic rather than slow and pointless.

I've been really enjoying the Inoki matches on New Japan World, and the 70s matches in general. It's definitely a more methodical approach to pro wrestling, and I'm not sure if it would work today, but it's great to watch to break up the stuff I'm used to watching.

Part of the reason wrasslin had to change was because people started finding it long and boring, didn't they?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Boy, I made a big mistake getting sucked into DA:I's multiplayer. It's almost as good as ME3's. Almost!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fave five of the 2014:

1. Minoru Suzuki
2. Jun Kasai
3. Tetsuya Naito
4. AJ Styles
5. Daisuke Sekimoto

Shibata is just barely knocked out of 6. I'd like to see him win the title in 2015. I'd also like to see Naito win it. Either one. Jun Kasai is fascinating. Even for a garbage match/death match/whatever wrestler. I usually don't like Death Match wrestling unless it's over the top theatrical stuff like old school FMW, but Jun Kasai is the exception. He's so charismatic, and the fans love him so much. I mean you watch his matches in FREEDOM or BJW and you realize he's such a star and that these promotions are below him just in terms of star power. Even in DDT in a match with Suzuki, he was hugely over. He has such a unique look, and he could easily fit into one of the major Japanese promotions for some special events or just a few tours like Onita did near the end of his career. I hope he retires before he kills himself. He's seemingly immune to pain, but I can't imagine his body is going by all the scars and I fear for his knees every time he balcony dives.

Suzuki is in top form even at 46. He has such a unique style all his own and he is EASILY the most badass wrestler in the world in 2014. AJ's most improved and that helps a ton with his standing. Daisuke has pretty much perfected his style of wrestling, and I hope he gets some more career highs very soon.

Vylash

Are the plans for GFW in the future to do more shows like Wrestle Kingdom 9 where you present different wrestling from around the world or will you have your own roster and have more of a traditional wrestling program?

“The answer is both. In 2015 we will continue the rollout of Global Force Wrestling. I am talking with several international companies about bringing their product to North America. We are in the process, and there was a press conference December 22nd in South Africa and we have big plans down there in 2015. Then there is the stand-alone company with talent and sponsorship and venue and distribution and everything that goes together; that rollout will continue in 2015 as well.”

Btw, how many wrestling shows did you guys attend this year

Set a personal record of four (I try to do two per year at least.) could've been more if I didn't always second guest the WWE/TNA/indie shows.

1. ROH/NJPW: War of the Worlds
2. ROH: Field of Honor (Styles let me hold the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in my hands at this one :3)
3. JAPW 18th Anniversary Show
4. ROH: Final Battle 2014

So how come we all seem to think Vader is awesome (except for his WWE run) when most of us probably saw his WWE run first - right? I'm honestly sitting here wondering why, at least for myself.

I know I never saw his WCW/Japan stuff until way later, but it's like I KNOW he's a mean bastard and tough as nails.

My first exposure to Vader was WCW and that badass steam shooting helmet, Sting fued, Ron Simmons beating him, fued with Cactus Jack and that dumb Lost in Cleveland story line and so on, I probably got the order of things messed up but, meh.

I was expecting the band and "All-Star" being played... Maybe even "Walkin' on the Sun".

Alucard

Banned
Set a personal record of four (I try to do two per year at least.) could've been more if I didn't always second guest the WWE/TNA/indie shows.

1. ROH/NJPW: War of the Worlds
2. ROH: Field of Honor (Styles let me hold the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in my hands at this one :3)
3. JAPW 18th Anniversary Show
4. ROH: Final Battle 2014

I got to mark out a bit at the Global Wars show too. (bad hair day and all)

Top Bottom