• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.
I didn't grow up with Dub Cee Dubyuh and didn't watch most of his stuff till later on, but he's one of the good guys outside the ring. I also think his story going through Wrestling at an older age than most normally do is pretty cool.

from the inside cover of the ROH World of the War DVD

W4KQD97.jpg

that circle next to Elgin's mullet is me, marks

too sweet me bro

It's funny considering I like Kane's bumbling henchman duty in 2014 but Show is just better at it. Namely because Vince and Co don't make him lose every single fall possible so he still looks semi strong.

Big Show reminds me of my cat. Does not give one shit about anyone around it, insane mood swings, zero concern for injuring others, acts like it's bulletproof.

Quite compelling to watch at times but a fair portion of the day you just want him to fuck off and leave you alone for a while.

No. DDP is one of my least favorite guys to watch in WCW after early 1999.

Dang, I still haven't seen the late years of WCW. I was entertained by his stupid WWF run though. I wonder if he still feels tearing up his WCW contract to do that stalker run was a good idea, he got the shit kicked out him real good.

strobogo

Banned
I didn't grow up with Dub Cee Dubyuh and didn't watch most of his stuff till later on, but he's one of the good guys outside the ring. I also think his story going through Wrestling at an older age than most normally do is pretty cool.

He sucked until 1997 and then sucked again from 1999 on. He had a really short period where he wasn't annoying as fuck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh man DDP is so fucking bad when he started. Like I'm amazed they kept him around he was so bad. And sometimes he'd try to mat wrestler and it was so awful.
Why did he suck during those times? I just know whenever I met people who loved DDP, the fucking LOVED DDP. Like I said, barely any WCW knowledge, so I have no idea why that is.
He's never been a good wrestler. I know Stro likes some of his matches, so he might think differently, but I've always considered him mediocre in the ring and unable to tell any kind of story whatsoever besides 'my finisher is the diamond cutter that is my entire gimmick is my finisher.' Even Hogan can tell a story in the ring. DDP was relateable to the white trash/heelheat that watched WCW, so he was super over. And the finisher was over. He had an awful look beyond being tall, he wasn't cool looking, and he cut shitty promos. The WORST part is it was said he laid out all his matches move for move like a Flair or a Macho Man would. The problem is he's not a Flair, and he's not a Macho Man.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Flair laid out his matches?

Did not know that.

He basically told you he was going to do the match and you just had to listen to him the whole way through. If you suck, it's a good way to handle a match, but I can see a lot of talented guys thinking 'no, I'm not doing that. I want to work on the match too.' Macho Man was similar but he actually had a notebook full of stuff. Steamboat said he had a notebook that's just covered in their match at Wrestlemania.

strobogo

Banned
http://youtu.be/1dF03IDeZ5U?t=15s

Why did he suck during those times? I just know whenever I met people who loved DDP, the fucking LOVED DDP. Like I said, barely any WCW knowledge, so I have no idea why that is.

Before 1997, he was an ultra shitty and annoying 80s heel. Like Honky Tonk Man level bullshit. After early 1999, he pretty much reverted back to that. Ultra cheesy, but not in the ironic way of Disco Inferno. Before his face turn, he wrestled like he was trained by HTM and Michael Hayes.

He managed PS Hayes originally didn't he? He did something early on with Hayes I thought.

He basically told you he was going to do the match and you just had to listen to him the whole way through. If you suck, it's a good way to handle a match, but I can see a lot of talented guys thinking 'no, I'm not doing that. I want to work on the match too.' Macho Man was similar but he actually had a notebook full of stuff. Steamboat said he had a notebook that's just covered in their match at Wrestlemania.

It's super awesome how passionate Macho was about wrestling. He would have been an awesome trainer for the young guys :(

I know it's a point of pride for wrestlers to be able to call it on the fly but I'm wondering for you historians in here if that matters at all to you, whether it be ranking them against other wrestlers or individually.

I just remember Regal saying on Austin's podcast that everyone loved Steamboat/Savage until they found out it was laid out.

strobogo

Banned
I know it's a point of pride for wrestlers to be able to call it on the fly but I'm wondering for you historians in here if that matters at all to you, whether it be ranking them against other wrestlers or individually.

It only matters how it looks to me. Macho's matches never felt like they were scripted move for move at all. A lot of DDP's matches did, though. All indie matches feel scripted move for move. Macho was probably even more awesome for being able to lay shit out move for move and make it feel organic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like my matches to look like fights. I like to see guys dragging each other through the ring like they're trying to kill one another.

I don't think that's ever the case for overly choreographed matches. Especially long ones.

I'll take Rude/Steamboat over Savage/Steamboat any day of the week. Both are great matches, but they're different things. Hell, I find Jake vs Savage looks a lot less choreographed, so you can see a match that's not laid out word for word beforehand and not know it.

I just remember Regal saying on Austin's podcast that everyone loved Steamboat/Savage until they found out it was laid out.

The way I see it, if I can't tell, if it's good, I don't really care. A good match is a good match regardless of how it was done. Though if I were to wrestle, it'd have to be on the fly, I'd get too stressed out if I missed stuff and it'd just be a mess.

Now that I think about it, it's probably more impressive to call it and have a long match like Steamboat Savage, for it to be great and seemingly have them go through all that they laid out. If they messed up in places or forgot to do something, I never noticed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Savage vs Roberts is like Storytelling: The Match. It's one of my all time favorites and it has little to do with any big spots. It has everything to do with the build-up, the normally high flying and technical Savage going to brawl and try to kill Jake, Jake DDTing Savage at the end. Pulling Savage up again and making Elizabeth beg and then DDTing him again.

That is still one of my most memorized moments in all of my years watching wrestling. Because that was't just 'a finisher' that was the DDT. I thought Savage was done. That feud made Roberts the greatest heel of all time in my book.

XenoRaven

Savage vs Roberts is like Storytelling: The Match. It's one of my all time favorites and it has little to do with any big spots. It has everything to do with the build-up, the normally high flying and technical Savage going to brawl and try to kill Jake, Jake DDTing Savage at the end. Pulling Savage up again and making Elizabeth beg and then DDTing him again.

That is still one of my most memorized moments in all of my years watching wrestling. Because that was't just 'a finisher' that was the DDT. I thought Savage was done. That feud made Roberts the greatest heel of all time in my book.
Ha. Loser couldn't even kick out of two DDTs.

My santa presents are still awesome even though I know now that they were actually from my parents. I still remember how filled with joy I was, that joy has not been diminished. My pikachu Game Boy Colour is still boss as fuck.

Just don't do it when I'm trying to watch Sasha Banks... This blows.

Imagine if they did it on a Monday and the announcers couldn't hype the network because it was down or they couldn't do any polls during the show.

In other news

"Al Snow ‏@TheRealAlSnow 1 hour ago

This has been a pretty tough month for me. I just farted in my wallet so that I could have some gas money.
Details

54 minutes ago

Still don't understand why you can't end a company-wide email with, 'Later bitches.'
Details"

TNA still treating employees right.

strobogo

Banned
Steamboat/Rude is the ultimate teaching match. I don't think there is a single match you can watch that explains everything you need to know about how pro wrestling works in the ring than that match. The Performance Center needs to have that running on a loop 24/7.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If I still had cable I would totally watch every week if Seth was champion.

I really doubt they are going to blow the briefcase so soon after doing it twice in two years, so it will happen this spring most likely.

Watch it on a month delay on the WWE network for only 9.99! No monthly commitment!

Also, I want Rollins to get a stable of bros.

J&J, Big Slow, maybe Korporate Kane (though I sense a reunion with D-Bry in his future), maybe Cesaro, Paul Heyman if Brock leaves, maybe the Ascension.

XenoRaven

I really doubt they are going to blow the briefcase so soon after doing it twice in two years, so it will happen this spring most likely.

Watch it on a month delay on the WWE network for only 9.99! No monthly commitment!

Also, I want Rollins to get a stable of bros.

J&J, Big Slow, maybe Korporate Kane (though I sense a reunion with D-Bry in his future), maybe Cesaro, Paul Heyman if Brock leaves, maybe the Ascension.
Wait is RAW actually on the Network now?

Zach

Steamboat/Rude is the ultimate teaching match. I don't think there is a single match you can watch that explains everything you need to know about how pro wrestling works in the ring than that match. The Performance Center needs to have that running on a loop 24/7.
Remind me what match this is you guys are talking about.

Top Bottom