• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deformers |OT| Cause they're squishy!

Cptc.png

Developer/Publisher - Ready at Dawn/GameTrust (GameStop)
Release Date - April 21st 2017
Platforms - PC/PS4/Xbox One
Console Resolutions and Performance
  • PS4 – 60FPS, 1080p (up to 3-player splitscreen, 4-player splitscreen runs a bit lower)
  • PS4 Pro – Deformers has higher graphic quality settings, better anti-aliasing, dynamic shadows, and will run at 60FPS all the way to 4-player splitscreen. It does not currently support 4K or HDR.
  • XB1 – 60FPS, 900p (2+-player splitscreen will run at sub-60FPS)
Price - $30/£30
Online Only? Yes​

Kptc.png

Available modes

Deathmatch
Deathmatch is the cornerstone brawler mode of Deformers. Defeat your opponents to earn points and rise to the top of the scoreboard in a free-for- 8 all battle royale. The higher your score, the better chance you have of winning the match!

Almost everything you do earns points. Defeating opponents, dealing damage, using Powers, and even eating debris can increase your score.

Team Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch pits two teams against each other in a fight for supremacy. In Team Deathmatch, your team shares a collective score. Rules are the same as normal Deathmatch but this time, you can have up to 4 friends watching your back!

Form Ball
Take your Forms and your skills to the pitch and get ready to ram, jump, shoot, grab, throw, and defend your goal in this team sport mode. You’ll be on either the Blue or the Orange team, and your goal is to get the Form Ball into the opposite team’s goal. If you’re Blue, try to put the ball into the Orange goal and vice-versa!

Score more goals than the enemy team to ensure a better chance at victory. Don’t be afraid to take out players with your short, mid, and long-range combat actions to give your team an advantage when heading in for a goal.

In the event of a tie, the winners will be determined by their team’s collective score. Earn additional points for your team by defending or assisting on goals, defeating enemy players, and eating Gibs.

Custom
Start a Custom match to play privately with your friends, or get in some target practice against “Dummies”. Dummies are Forms without AI that don’t move – perfect for practicing your aim with shooting and ramming, and trying out Powers against them to see how they work!

In a Custom match, you can select your preferred Game Mode (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, or Form Ball) and choose the arena you want to play on.

If you have more than 4 players in your Party, you’ll automatically be restricted to Custom matches only.

Qptc.png

Ranger:
Well rounded. This class is the base class and the jack of all trades. While not excelling at any specific action, they can keep up with other classes in shoot, ram, block, and throw. This class provides players with the most balanced approach to every combat situation, with the weakness of none.

Striker:
Hits likes a ton of bricks! This class is the brute of Deformers. As the second biggest in size, their Ram ability deals heavy damage and provides the most displacement so they can knock their opponent of the platform much easier. Since this class gains so much from their Ram, they suffer at shooting and their big size makes them a big target.

Guardian:
Rock Solid. This class is the tank of Deformers. The biggest in size, they have greatly increased health so they can take more punishment than others. Blocking is the key to victory as they are the only class that can deal damage with their block ability when they block a Ram. Due to their size and health, this class is the slowest of the classes and deals decreased damage with their Ram.

Marksman:
Eagle eye sharpshooter. This class is built around the shoot ability. They have the ability for players to hold down the Shoot button and unleash a barrage of Tribs. This class is able to shred enemies with their auto-fire. They are a soft target with average defense and lower health so their will need to use all of their abilities to keep their range advantage.

Speedster:
Get juked! This class is the smallest and the fastest of all classes. Their increased agility and mobility lets them run circles around their enemies. When speed isn't enough, they have a few other tricks up their sleeves to help them get the job done. This class also has lower health so think fast, play smart, and don't get hit.​

Tptc.png

Top row

Magnet - Creates a powerful magnetic effect that pulls in nearby Tribs faster than usual.
Boomer - Small sticky bombs that detonate when enemies enter their range. They can be placed on any solid surface or other Forms.
Blast - Unleashes a powerful burst of energy around you knocking enemies back (often off the map) and deals considerable damage. Most effective when used in the middle of a group.

Middle row

Cloak - Turns your Form nearly invisible for a short duration. Great for offensive and defensive maneuvers.
Aura - Area of effect beacon that lasts for a short duration. Friendlies are healed while enemies are sucked into the middle and receive damage each second they remain in the Aura.
Meteor - Explosive projectiles that deal high damage within its range. Detonates on impact and knocks enemies back.

Bottom row

Thumper - Unleashes a blast of energy in the shape of a cone in front of you. Deals high damage and knocks enemies back.
Bouncer - Explosive bouncing bombs that detonate on a delay or on impact. Deals small damage but has a stun effect.
Rampage - Turns your Form into a giant Ball of Destruction for a short duration. Everything you touch is automatically destroyed. Movement is limited to rolling and jumping. Blast, Meteor, and Boomer have the capability to knock you off the map while in Rampage mode.​

Yptc.png

Prestige Seasons!

What is Prestige?

Prestige is our version of a skill-based competitive system that is based on your individual performance across all game modes. When you start the game, you’ll notice a sweet little icon next to your username. This is your Prestige Rank. The icon will grow with you, moving through Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond Ranks as you conquer the battlefield. The higher your rank, the more people will fear you and your arsenal of Forms! Oh, and the exclusive Prestige awards don’t hurt either.​

Y1tc.png

How do I rank up?

Once you finish a game and collect all your fat loot from the Leveling ceremony, you’ll be moved to the Prestige Screen. From here, you’ll be given awards based on your performance. Each game mode has 6 categories that you can be graded on with a 1 Star, 2 Star, or 3 Star award. The more stars you earn, the more points go towards your Prestige Rank! You can also earn bonus awards based on your placement in Deathmatch, or by earning yourself an MVP award in Team modes. You’ll never lose Prestige when you lose a game, but the better you perform, the faster you’ll rank up!​

f2tc.png

Well, what’s the point of all this?

I’m glad you asked! We want our players to shoot for that Diamond rank and really get into gear when it comes to competitive play. So we’re going to run through Prestige Seasons. Prestige Seasons let you compete to be the best of the best, and earn unique rewards along the way. Each player starting out at the beginning of a Prestige Season, all players will start at the Bronze rank and they’ll have immediate access to the special Bronze reward for that season.. Each time you hit a major milestone (Silver, Gold, or Diamond), you can unlock a new style for FREE in the Workshop. Prestige Season rewards will be labeled with a golden lock, with each reward themed to the appropriate rank. Our first wave of rewards will be the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond Shields. Make sure you unlock these during the Season, because If you don’t unlock them during the current Season, you’ll miss out on them forever!​

g2tc.png

To unlock the Shields, visit the Workshop and check out the Back Style category. Select the Bronze Shield to unlock it and add it to your list of Styles.​

Wait, so how do Prestige Seasons work?

Our first Prestige Season will begin with our launch on Thursday 4/20 at 9PM PST and will run through late June 2017. At the end of a Prestige Season, all players will have their ranks reset to Bronze as the next season comes online. Our first Prestige Season will last 2 months, with future seasons lasting around 3, with new rewards available each time!

cqtc.png

The Deformers Youtube channel has a small series called Deformers University that helps get you started on your path to victory!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLp0wv2t4o1kaKLInA7QyRNZ30o-xjhgZ

Like the in-game music? You're in luck! The soundtrack is available on Bandcamp!
https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/deformers

Fantastic guide by "gurvy"

I think I fixed most issues. Please post or PM if there are any formatting muck ups again :)
Wish there was a way to center images without it going crazy.

The finest avatar available anywhere

Yessss was waiting for this OT.

The game is flippin' brilliant. I'm loving it.

Absolutely! I haven't had time to play the past few days, but will tomorrow!

Tried to find a game yesterday and couldn't. Haven't tried again since...

Which platform and modes?

Looking forward to playing some more of this tomorrow. For RaD I think the priority should be adding a tutorial/training mode.

Option-

- Wrong Pricing
- No hyping open beta
- wrong release schedule (just after everyone is talking about mario kart 8 as a party game)

And that after having rocket league as a template. Wow, what a missmanagement.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, this game died pretty quickly.

Peak player count on PC version over the last week is 9 people: http://steamcharts.com/app/491770#7d

Game is overpriced.
Very much expected. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the pricing. In a world where Rocket League is 20$, they never had a chance. Here's hoping they can turn this around somehow, maybe a transition to F2P since the game is ridden with microtransactions already.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Again not to be too much of a cynical asshole, but it seemed pretty clear from the get go that this idea was entirely misguided.

Machina

Banned
I don't think this will be the game to do it but I think Ready At Dawn have set themselves on a road to nowhere with this

Amneisac

I have no idea what this game is, but goddamn you guys are dogpiling pretty hard in a thread where a dev member has posted. Kind of awkward.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I have no idea what this game is, but goddamn you guys are dogpiling pretty hard in a thread where a dev member has posted. Kind of awkward.

If you make any sort of entertainment, criticism is part of the territory. This game is wide open for criticism.

Im not sure what they could do about the higher price point, but I'll just say it is a fun game.

Very much expected. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the pricing. In a world where Rocket League is 20$, they never had a chance. Here's hoping they can turn this around somehow, maybe a transition to F2P since the game is ridden with microtransactions already.

Mmhmmm

Deformers

Rocket League

Ubisoft games

I guess they should go F2P then

MUnited83

For you.
Im not sure what they could do about the higher price point, but I'll just say it is a fun game.

Mmhmmm

Deformers

Rocket League

Ubisoft games

I guess they should go F2P then

that's not how it works. Are you like not familiar at all with the terms "in-app transactions"? You trying to show how many items there are directly in the store means exactly nothing.

And you know, you're ignoring the pretty fucking huge difference that is NO ONE IS PLAYING THE DARN THING.

anniestarheart

Neo Member
I feel really bad for the devs of this one... Seems like a misfire on marketing/pricing. Hope they figure out a way to turn it around , that peak 9 players stat is staggering!

Yeesh, this is a bit sad. Seems like the game was hit by the perfect store of price point, little exposure, bad release timing and online-only for the death kneel. The game looks good, great even, but these problems need to be addressed...

Zukkoyaki

The game itself is also super lacking in content and doesn't even have bots. I was stunned when they announced that. Just awful decision making all around, unfortunately. Almost like it was developed in a vacuum. It's a bummer because the core gameplay and concept really are a ton of fun.

The game itself is also super lacking in content and doesn't even have bots. I was stunned when they announced that. Just awful decision making all around, unfortunately. Almost like it was developed in a vacuum. It's a bummer because the core gameplay and concept really are a ton of fun.

What content is it lacking?

Skyzard

Banned
I feel really bad for the devs of this one... Seems like a misfire on marketing/pricing. Hope they figure out a way to turn it around , that peak 9 players stat is staggering!

Yeah 9 players...god damn. It looks pretty fun and I'm into the visuals too.

Maybe they'll rework it for f2p.

Extremely limited in game modes. It's strictly free-for-all, team deathmatch, and a poor take on Rocket League. None of the modes have bots online or off.

I see the limited game modes as focused :D The game not having offline (understandable) or bots is definitely a downer.

Lebneney

Banned
Game is really a lot of fun. I've really enjoyed many of the games that they've created and hope that they continue to provide great experiences. I think that reworking it to a F2P might be the best thing, but they need Gamestop to provide marketing to prominent Twitch streamers and maybe even the Rocket League route of having it free on PS+.

Plus their logo is bar none one of the best logos I have seen period.
CxBPUI1VEAAf-lz.jpg

2-3 days of intermittent launch server issues, 2 days of playing with no issue and now the matchmaking is dead.

Worst gaming purchase I've ever made.

Lylo

Man, you know that there's something very wrong with your game when you can't even get to the second page of the OP on GAF 20 days after launch.

the game is really fun, but like everyone said before, wrong price considering the content.

beta only on PC was wrong, why close the beta on the platform where the game will have more competition, multiplayer arena is a genre flooded on PC.
the game could have a bigger audience on consoles but nobody know about it, nobody talked about it.

and again, to shine with the hard competition, Deformers needed good price and content.

I don't know who's to blame, the studio or Gamestop, but they clearly misjudged the market and audience...

another great game sent to die, sad.

Damn I was interested in this but I thought it was $15 and even then it'd be a bit I a risky purchase.

But at $30 I'm not surprised it's dead so soon, that's a shame. Maybe they could do a ps+ month soon and hope for a boost.

Alphahawk

I just was in GameStop and saw this, looked pretty fun, checked Neogaf and found out it was dead. Luckily I didn't purchase it. Too bad though m, looks like it could have potential.

With the Reformed update comes a FREE weekend and 50% discount on all platforms. Update hits June 8th 10am PT

• Offline Couch Co-Op – You will be able to enjoy a truly offline couch co-op experience with up to 3 of your friends. A PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold membership will no longer be required for this mode.
  • Cross-Network Play – To bring the community closer together, players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will have the option to matchmake against Steam players and vice-versa.
  • Tutorials – We’ll be rolling out new, in-game tutorials to help players get up-to-speed on the basics and core mechanics of Deformers, as well as learn about Powers and Classes. You’ll have a chance to perfect your skills before entering the combat arena. We plan on implementing more advanced tutorials in the future, which will reveal the deeper strategies behind Deformers’ game mechanics.
  • Console Quick Chat – Players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One now have access to Quick Chat, an in-game tool that makes it easier than ever to communicate with others in the lobby and game.

And

In-Game Currency – Firstly, in appreciation of our current players for the support you have given us, we’ll be adding 30,000 Silver to every player account that was created prior to the time of this posting (June 6th at 9:00AM PT); Silver can be used to unlock Styles, Tags, Taunts, and Emotes in the Workshop.

NOW they add offline couch co-op. Too late.

I was ready to play this with my kids when it launched and couldn't play local co-op because of their server issues. This made no fucking sense to me and still doesn't. It never will. I Stopped trying and I'm not going to start trying when they made such a dumb decision to begin with. Lesson learned I hope?

Edit: And I got the game for free. Imagine having paid $30 for it. I'd have been wanting a refund immediately.

Regiruler

NOW they add offline couch co-op. Too late.

I was ready to play this with my kids when it launched and couldn't play local co-op because of their server issues. This made no fucking sense to me and still doesn't. It never will. I Stopped trying and I'm not going to start trying when they made such a dumb decision to begin with. Lesson learned I hope?

Edit: And I got the game for free. Imagine having paid $30 for it. I'd have been wanting a refund immediately.

What does it matter if it's "too late". It's not like a game stops existing after day 1.

Top Bottom