• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dem donors: Warren VP pick could dry up Wall St donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
"Big Wall Street donors have a message for Hillary Clinton: Keep Elizabeth Warren off the ticket or risk losing millions of dollars in contributions"

In a dozen interviews, major Democratic donors in the financial services industry said they saw little chance that Clinton would pick the liberal firebrand as her vice presidential nominee. These donors despise Warren’s attacks on the financial industry. But they also think her selection would be damaging to the economy. And they warned that if Clinton surprises them and taps Warren, big donations from the industry could vanish.

“If Clinton picked Warren, her whole base on Wall Street would leave her,” said one top Democratic donor who has helped raise millions for Clinton. “They would literally just say, ‘We have no qualms with you moving left, we understand all the things you’ve had to do because of Bernie Sanders, but if you are going there with Warren, we just can’t trust you, you’ve killed it.’”

But I'm sure Wall Street has no influence on Democrats and Hillary...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/elizabeth-warren-wall-street-vice-president-224489

Hillary knows which she'd prefer...

And that's not a knock. It's just she's a pragmatic politician through and through. She's not going to select Warren. She'd be wise not to.

jaekeem

I mean even if you're a progressive, Warren is able to do far more good in the senate than she is as VP unless Hillary dies.

Putting her up as VP would just be a cosmetic decision meant to curry favor among sanders supporters whilst pulling the leading progressive senator out of congress and giving her seat to a republican for at least a few months.

ApharmdX

Banned
"Big Wall Street donors have a message for Hillary Clinton: Keep Elizabeth Warren off the ticket or risk losing millions of dollars in contributions"

“They would literally just say, ‘We have no qualms with you moving left, we understand all the things you’ve had to do because of Bernie Sanders, but if you are going there with Warren, we just can’t trust you, you’ve killed it.’”

But I'm sure Wall Street has no influence on Democrats and Hillary...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/elizabeth-warren-wall-street-vice-president-224489

Nope. Their millions of dollars in contributions didn't influence her in the slightest ;)

Hillary should tell them to go pound sand, in all seriousness. Trump is reeling and she should win comfortably without Wall Street donations.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm not crazy about the Warren pick anyway, so I'm not too upset by this.

I mean Hillary should be free to pick whoever she thinks is best. The fact that donors have the ability to influence picks to this extent is what is problematic.

I mean even if you're a progressive, Warren is able to do far more good in the senate than she is as VP unless Hillary dies.

Putting her up as VP would just be a cosmetic decision meant to curry favor among sanders supporters whilst pulling the leading progressive senator out of congress and giving her seat to a republican for at least a few months.

Don't disagree. Problem is not with the pick. It's about the process.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She was never going to pick Warren anyways.

I mean Hillary should be free to pick whoever she thinks is best. The fact that donors have the ability to influence picks to this extent is what is problematic.

Well, certainly outsize donor influence is bad, but is this really evidence of that yet? They're threatening to not give her money if she does a thing we're not even sure she was going to do. If she doesn't pick Warren now, does that mean it was because of the donors demands? Or is it possible that she simply thinks similarly to many posters here do about Warrens VP advantages and disadvantages?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yeah this is the problem at hand. Unfortunate reality of American politics.

Well, certainly outsize donor influence is bad, but is this really evidence of that yet? They're threatening to not give her money if she does a thing we're not even sure she was going to do. If she doesn't pick Warren now, does that mean it was because of the donors demands? Or is it possible that she simply thinks similarly to many posters here do about Warrens VP advantages and disadvantages?
It's the fact that donors and Wall Street are even in the position to make this demand in the first place.

cirrhosis

Becerra, it is, or bust

it's been said many times already but Warren is better off in senate where she can actually enact change

Don't disagree. Problem is not with the pick. It's about the process.

Well if we can get Hillary into office and put up a liberal majority in the supreme court, not only would this put the country in a positive direction for the next 30 years, we could possibly overturn the Citizen's United ruling.

Paskil

If you want Warren to be effective against Wall Street, VP is basically the last place you want her. Not sure why Wall Street wouldn't push for her to pick Warren, unless this is some reverse psychology BS where she feels forced to pick her lest the narrative change to HRC not going against her corporate overlords.

She's still a great fundraiser, and I doubt this would affect her decision making process. Warren has her own cons as a VP, but ultimately she'll probably end up as one of the final considerations. If she picks her, great! If not, okay!

Becerra, it is, or bust

it's been said many times already but Warren is better off in senate where she can actually enact change

Yeah, Becerra would be much better and it'd keep Warren in the Senate.

You'd think the Wall Street assholes would want her as VP anyway so she wouldn't be able to do as much damage. Similar to when Teddy Roosevelt was made VP.

If you want Warren to be effective against Wall Street, VP is basically the last place you want her. Not sure why Wall Street wouldn't push for her to pick Warren, unless this is some reverse psychology BS where she feels forced to pick her lest the narrative change to HRC not going against her corporate overlords.

I came here to post this

massoluk

Banned
Hillary is so going to worry about having her name not attached to Wall Street and losing to Trump due to lack of Wall Street money

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Seriously. If you can't double down when an insane manchild is the alternative, when can you?

This is assuming Clinton wants this, of course.
She shouldn't "double down," though. She was probably never actually going to pick Warren, and I (along with many others) hope she doesn't so that Warren can keep being a badass in the senate. Calling their bluff would actually be counterproductive.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Again that is the problem.
How can you now know the real reason behind a decision?

That is the nature of conflict of interest.

This is a good opportunity to kiss them goodbye and win over Bernie supporters. She really doesn't need them and she can tout not being in their back pocket. Wall street's loss.

This is a good opportunity to kiss them goodbye and win over Bernie supporters. She really doesn't need them and she can tout not being in their back pocket. Wall street's loss.

Do you really think this little thing would convince the Bernie supporters that are still holding out? They'll just call it a conspiracy or something and discard it.

Do you really think this little thing would convince the Bernie supporters that are still holding out? They'll just call it a conspiracy or something and discard it.

Little thing? If she discards Wall st. support and denounces them, while letting people know it? I don't think that is that little, and was a big part of what Bernie supporters like. I don't think she has to either though, she would be fine with whatever decision she makes.

Warren wants to stay in the Senate. People keep acting like Warren would have no choice in the matter. She doesn't want to be president or VP

This.

At this point, the gap in polling between Clinton and Trump is growing in her favor. She does not need to bend over backwards for the Bernie-or-bust crowd. And they would never vote for her unless Bernie somehow swapped bodies with her.

TyrantII

Just goes to show you how dumb Wallstreet mega donors are.

Apparently they haven't thought about Senate Majority Leader Warren or Chair of the Banking and Finance committee Warren.

They should be so lucky she gets the VP slot, a position older politicians go to to die.

Regardless of Bernie voters, showing some spine towards Wall Street donors would be a good thing considering Hillary's own populist messaging and tough posturing.

Unless of course she was only saying those things for political expediency.

She's not going to be the VP regardless but clearly cynics and Sanders fans will point to this as the reason why. Sigh.

Lol I know right?

Also try not to go nuts when "Bernie's influance" get the credit for progressive stance she takes and every liberal cause she champions.

Little thing? If she discards Wall st. support and denounces them, while letting people know it? I don't think that is that little, and was a big part of what Bernie supporters like. I don't think she has to either though, she would be fine with whatever decision she makes.

I'm just saying it would just be a little thing to them unless this was a situation where Bernie DEMANDED she sacrifices Wall Street support and names Warren as her VP, and made a big deal about it in interviews and speeches. If it came from the Clinton camp, people wouldn't trust it or pay much attention to it.

Jenov

This ^^^

Seems backwards. Putting Warren in VP would make her less powerful against putting legislative change against Wall street. This does seem like some reverse psychology stuff, lol.

Blader

This is the narrative now though, right? Because now if Warren isn't on the ticket, it's because Hillary caved to Wall Street. Not because they have no real relationship with each other, not because Warren's influence would be wasted as VP (and not a position she would be all that suited for either imo), not because Hillary sees greater electoral and policy advantages with picking a Kaine or a Perez.

Hillary is free to pick whomever she thinks is best, unless she doesn't pick Warren, in which case we'll really know why.

It's much easier to reinforce an existing belief than to sway someone to a new one.
If she picks Warren just to say she doesn't follow Wall Street's orders, she'd sway a negligible amount of people.

atr0cious

This has to be some reverse psychology shit to make her face looking corrupt for not putting Warren in the VP slot, and saving wall street from her incoming wrath.

They see the writing on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom