• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Demi-OT] Styx: Master of Shadows

Castef

Banned
styx-logo-540x279.jpg

What's this about?
This topic is about the fantasy stealth game Styx: Master of Shadows. A game so stealthy, no one actually noticed it. So, I guess that opening an official topic for the game is a good idea.
It is a third person fantasy adventure entirely based on stealth mechanics. The protagonist, the titular Styx - is a small green goblin, the kind you usually fend off in dozens in other fantasy games. Just, this one is a skilled assassin which can also use several magic tricks to accomplish his deadly missions.

The game is developed by Cyanide Studios, published by Focus Interactive and works as a prequel for Of Orcs and Men. It will be available next 7 october on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Right now it is possible to pre-order it on Steam and get a 20% discount.

Just like in Dishonored you could either straight kill your target or arrange "accidents" in order to eliminate them without leaving a trace. According to the developers the game contains some kind of adaptive IA which makes the characters quite smart and not prone to be killed using always the same methods. Levels seems pretty wide and will allow for different approaches, providing also an interesting vertical extension (again, a-la Dishonored).

Styx can user both physical skills - such as climbing, a bit of parkour and melee combat proficiency - and magic abilities. In detail, he is also able to use the Amber Vision - some kind of night vision very useful while moving in the dark - and to literally puke out a clone of himself which could be remotely controlled in order to set special traps.

The game also contains several RPG elements: Styx skills will increase during the game, with six skill-trees to develop (explained in this blog post) and a seventh secret one to be unlocked.

Every mission contains 4 emblems to be gained by meeting certain conditions, such as finding all the collectibles, being unnoticed and so on.

The game is quite gore-y, filled with violent deaths, blood and guts. Easily impressed players are advised.

The official webpage of the games contains this description:
"Guide Styx through the winding Tower of Akenash, home to a Treeworld, source of the Amber – a powerful golden sap filled with magical properties - prowling through the shadows with aide of a host of special abilities refined throughout Styx’s 200 years of history. Within the many hallways and levels of the Tower of Akenash, Styx must avoid the humans who’ve the ability to easily overpower him. With Amber running through his veins, what Styx lacks in might he more than makes up for with stealth, as the golden elixir – often heavily guarded – raises his perception, sharpens his senses, and even offers the ability to turn him invisible for short periods of time."

The Stealthy Data Sheet
Title: Styx: Master of Shadows
Developer: Cyanide Studios
Publisher: Focus Interactive
Platforms: PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Is this on Steam?: Oh, yeah!
Release Date: October 7 2014
Genre: Fantasy stealth game
Goblin Content: 100% more than other stealth games (with the exception of Shadow of Mordor)
Players: 1
Puke: Yes, a lot
Rating: 18+
So, it is violent?: Yep
Engine: Unreal Engine 3
Online Play: Nope

Screenshots:
06.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

Press Quotes:
"Styx has everything that you would expect of a stealth game, but is also trying to deliver in areas that feel fresh and that would push the genre forwards. Guard AI in particular has always been a weak spot, but by giving you the tool to avoid or deal with an AI that isn’t totally predictable, tries to work in pairs and wants to investigate certain signs of mischief, it opens up new and interesting gameplay possibilities." (The SixthAxis)

"What happens when a small, stealthy goblin vomits out a clone of himself, which runs under a giant crate, attracting the attention of guards, while the original goblin cuts the hanging cable to crush the guards--and clone--beneath? You get one of the coolest interactions that I saw in my half-hour demo of Styx: Master of Shadows." (Gamespot)

"Cyanide Games consists of former Ubisoft employees, so it's easy to see how Styx: Master of Shadows clearly has roots in the stealth genre exemplified by Ubisoft series like Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell. In our preview, we saw a lot of interesting things that gave the game its own personality. The fantasy setting and use of magic really help make Styx feel like it has a distinct identity. The stealth mechanics look polished, and having access to a friendly clone opens up a lot of possibilities that Sam Fisher never had. Look for a PC release of Styx in Q4 2014." (Worth Playing)

Useful Links:
Official Website
Focus Interactive Youtube Channel
Preview on The SixthAxis
"How Thief and Dishonored inspired Styx: Master of Shadows" (Gamespot)
Worth Playing Preview
Wikipedia Page
Developer's Blog

Videos:
Game Trailer
E3 2014 Gameplay
25 Minutes of offscreen gameplay footage
Clone Gameplay Trailer
Assassin Green Trailer
Die Harder Trailer

Reviews:
Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5
Strategy Informer: 5.5/10
Gamespot: 5/10
Hooked Gamers: 8.5/10
Gamesbeat: 7.5/10

Review aggregators:
Gamerankings (PC Version): 69/100
Metacritic (PC Version): 70/100

NeoGaf Review Thread: click here!

Labadal

I have this pre-ordered simply because I really want a new stealth game. I completed Deus Ex on a nonlethal playthrough yesterday and beat two out of three Thief games. I also played the first Dishonored DLC and will play the second.

Valravn

Wow, this looks pretty good. But there is too much stuff coming out in October! :( A stealth game is like an aphrodisiac to me. I need to play it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought this was releasing in October!

Does GMG have the game up for pre-order yet?

Yeah, it's still two weeks away. This isn't a proper OT but basically a Styx-themed version of the "Come in and be hyped for Mordor with me!" thread.

Edit: And no.

Castef

Banned
I thought this was releasing in October!

Actually it is. :)

And I guess this is a very bad idea. They should wait for a more calm moment instead of launching it among big monsters.

It will go unnoticed, and this is a little bit ironic, don't you think?
thanks a lot, Alanis

Tizoc

Yeah, it's still two weeks away. This isn't a proper OT but basically a Styx-themed version of the "Come in and be hyped for Mordor with me!" thread.

Edit: And no.

GMG got the new Sherlock Holmes games a few weeks ago so I'll wait and see if GMG will get it.
Else I grab it off Steam with my credit.
Thanks Jase.

Really hope this game ends up good. I don't mind eurojank if it offers an interesting experience.

ZiZ

the concept is very interesting. I'll wait for the reviews to come out and see how well it works.

I'm definitely interested in this game and agree that releasing this game in October doesn't make any sense. The game's genre isn't particularly attractive to the general public, the marketing around the game have been very poor and October has a lot of good games...
December would be perfect.

Castef

Banned
I'm definitely interested in this game and agree that releasing this game in October doesn't make any sense. The game's genre isn't particularly attractive to the general public, the marketing around the game have been very poor and October has a lot of good games...
December would be perfect.

Fact is... why would a publisher, knowing that his game is not as much well known as the other game which are coming on the market in the very same time frame, release it in that moment?

Maybe they just want to be sure to be in shops by Christmas?

I think that going straight against The Shadow of Mordor and the two Assassin's Creed is quite suicidal.

"Demi-OT" sounds scary.

So this low profile is actually a spin-off-prequel of another low profile game? I am somewhat interested in this game but am compelled to play the sequel first. Does anybody know if Of Orcs and Men is any good?

Cerity

"Demi-OT" sounds scary.

So this low profile is actually a spin-off-prequel of another low profile game? I am somewhat interested in this game but am compelled to play the sequel first. Does anybody know if Of Orcs and Men is any good?

Not very. In nearly all the areas the game feels unfinished. The combat mechanics show it the most, it was like they were halfway through developing a full blown RPG, decided to simplify it for a mobile release and then reneged to release as is. I remember hitting the end of the skill tree something like a third of the way through, I was hoping that you'd unlock more later on but it just didn't happen.

The level design wasn't great either, the game itself is more or less a hub of corridors, you had a central area, which was really the only time you could interact with npc's. Everywhere else in the game was a corridor, with maybe a chest at the end.

The dialogue is mostly voiced but it is hella janky, lots of stop/starts, wierd silences and from memory, at times it was too quick. The dialogue itself wasn't bad, but quite a lot of uneccesary swearing just for the sake of it.

The writing of the story was pretty laughable too, the story was nice but simply executed poorly. e.g IIRC one of the antagonists was introduced as one of those dudes who was all about position, uncaring e.t.c Yet when in one of the missions you burn down his building with all of his students inside, he goes on a full blown manhunt for you, using everything he can, stopping at nothing and whatnot. Granted, it's been a fair while since I've played it but I remember that scene due to the 180 he takes and just how ridiculous it was.

The ideas were nice, is probably a good way to sum up the game. I am keeping an eye out for this but that's about it really, the devs are the guys who also did the Game of Thrones game and Mars: War Logs, they're a pretty cemented c-tier developer IMO.

Tizoc

Demi-ot should be removed and jsut tack 'discussion thread' at the end.
Fyi that of orcs and men is a game that jim sterling recommends as a steam curator heh.

I still can't shake the feeling that this is just a Dark clone. I really hope I'm wrong as it looks pretty decent and like something I would buy in a heartbeat, but it looks too much like Dark...

Not very. In nearly all the areas the game feels unfinished. The combat mechanics show it the most, it was like they were halfway through developing a full blown RPG, decided to simplify it for a mobile release and then reneged to release as is. I remember hitting the end of the skill tree something like a third of the way through, I was hoping that you'd unlock more later on but it just didn't happen.

The level design wasn't great either, the game itself is more or less a hub of corridors, you had a central area, which was really the only time you could interact with npc's. Everywhere else in the game was a corridor, with maybe a chest at the end.

The dialogue is mostly voiced but it is hella janky, lots of stop/starts, wierd silences and from memory, at times it was too quick. The dialogue itself wasn't bad, but quite a lot of uneccesary swearing just for the sake of it.

The writing of the story was pretty laughable too, the story was nice but simply executed poorly. e.g IIRC one of the antagonists was introduced as one of those dudes who was all about position, uncaring e.t.c Yet when in one of the missions you burn down his building with all of his students inside, he goes on a full blown manhunt for you, using everything he can, stopping at nothing and whatnot. Granted, it's been a fair while since I've played it but I remember that scene due to the 180 he takes and just how ridiculous it was.

The ideas were nice, is probably a good way to sum up the game. I am keeping an eye out for this but that's about it really, the devs are the guys who also did the Game of Thrones game and Mars: War Logs, they're a pretty cemented c-tier developer IMO.

And there it is.

One to pass on. Shame really, looked pretty decent.

Valravn

I know enough. Saves me some money! Thank you.

R1CHO

Guys wtf Cerity is not talking about this game, but about Of Orcs and Men.

Yes, I know they are the same developers, but this is a much more focus project.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still can't shake the feeling that this is just a Dark clone. I really hope I'm wrong as it looks pretty decent and like something I would buy in a heartbeat, but it looks too much like Dark...

And there it is.

One to pass on. Shame really, looked pretty decent.

You realise he's talking about the previous game, right?

I loved Dark :(.

As a stealth nut, I have my eye on this.

I was hyped primarily because of how good a stealth game it looked, but the execution was extremely poor. The game offered very little in the way of a challenge, not to mention the terrible controls and how unfinished the game felt.

I wouldn't have minded so much if they nailed the stealth like Vampire Rain, but it completely failed at all aspects.

It's just a game full of unrealised potential, which makes me even more sad and angry.

Not sure how I feel. I enjoy and want more stealth games...but this seems like a poor attempt to salvage something from their failed game.

Either way, if it's bad, we kinda knew...but if it's good, we all win.

So far the game looks good and as a stealth fan I'm very interested.

But the game releases in the same day of Isolation so I'll have enough time to get some feedback and reviews to see if the game has quality.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Once my Steam trader gets his internet fixed I am all over this. I'd like to dive into Mordor, but with Styx being less than a week away it's probably a better idea to leave it on the backburner.

In love with the character design. So far the vids and gameplay demo is enough to show me that this is better than Of Orcs and Men. Those vids were terrible IMO.

Tizoc

How many hours til review embargos are removed? Can we expect reviews as early as midnight?

How many hours til review embargos are removed? Can we expect reviews as early as midnight?

Embargo ends 7th. So expect them up tonight from some folks. Interested to hear peoples take on it seeing as I've had some hours put into it now.

3bdelilah

Banned
I'm desperate for another competent stealth game with good art design and a (if the footages have some truth in them) good level design, so count me in. A few little hours left!

Spawnfirst is no more. I will be doing a video review and it will be posted on my youtube and ZTGD.com. Also they will have a written review as well.

Ah I wasn't aware. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to it. Your opinions are usually in tune with mine so I like your reviews =)

Karak

Got the review done and will post it early tomorrow. Interesting take on a world but then again so was Of Orcs and Men.
I was asked to hold off until the 7th with no time specific. So midnight yes.

Top Bottom