• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Demi-OT] Styx: Master of Shadows

Yes, a lot. (also turns out the game is longer than I thought, which is good!)

I'll link to my review when its done, written most of it, just don't want to publish it unless something happens in the final part of the game that I feel the need to comment on.

Purdy

Yes, a lot. (also turns out the game is longer than I thought, which is good!)

I'll link to my review when its done, written most of it, just don't want to publish it unless something happens in the final part of the game that I feel the need to comment on.

Awesome, look forward to it

SerTapTap

Thinking I might pick this one up, price is great and the trailer looked really good. LEvels look complex and very vertical. Scoping out some reviews now

Skyzard

Banned
I've played about 90 minutes so far and will be going back to it soon but just wanted to say it's pretty damn cool.

To begin with, I was pretty frustrated, it doesn't hold your hand that much and took me a while to adjust to what is required having come mostly from Shadow of Mordor but it really immerses you. And the map design so far is very cool and interesting to explore.

It can be hard though, you do need to be careful.

One thing I'm a bit confused on at the moment is dropping to hang from ledges. It said if I walk slowly I could do it but it doesn't seem to always work. Like I have to be facing it in a certain way. Otherwise I use the jump and hold a to jump up and then grab the ledge.

Anyway, it's fantastic so far. I died many times already. I got frustrated, took a break and came back ready to give it more time and not rush through so much and found myself enjoying it way more.

Alric

I've had on my wishlist on steam for a while. I definitely want to buy and play it when I have more time. Maybe once a sale happens and I get some free time to get really pissed about dying 3/4 the way through a mission. Can't wait.

Skyzard

Banned
Tbh I wish Assassin's Creed would copy the jump from this game - where you press jump, and if it's possible, you hook on, otherwise you fall - as opposed to the Uncharted leap a mile to your platform/automation. That little extra risk makes a huge difference to making it feel less arcade while still being free to climb about.

-MD-

Tbh I wish Assassin's Creed would copy the jump from this game - where you press jump, and if it's possible, you hook on, otherwise you fall - as opposed to the Uncharted leap a mile to your platform/automation. That little extra risk makes a huge difference to making it feel less arcade while still being free to climb about.

Yep, I'd take this over Assassin's Creed any day.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've played about 90 minutes so far and will be going back to it soon but just wanted to say it's pretty damn cool.

To begin with, I was pretty frustrated, it doesn't hold your hand that much and took me a while to adjust to what is required having come mostly from Shadow of Mordor but it really immerses you. And the map design so far is very cool and interesting to explore.

It can be hard though, you do need to be careful.

One thing I'm a bit confused on at the moment is dropping to hang from ledges. It said if I walk slowly I could do it but it doesn't seem to always work. Like I have to be facing it in a certain way. Otherwise I use the jump and hold a to jump up and then grab the ledge.

Anyway, it's fantastic so far. I died many times already. I got frustrated, took a break and came back ready to give it more time and not rush through so much and found myself enjoying it way more.
Yeah, the ledge hanging thing is really quite annoying. You need to crouch walk very slowly and it'll work every time but it's frustrating sometimes when you're under the gun to do it quickly.

-MD-

I'm 5 hours in, ledges are no longer an issue for me and platforming does what I want it do.

I think it was an issue of just getting a feel of the controls, I was way more confident in the 2nd level and used ledges to my advantage rather than avoid them. I wish I would've started on Goblin difficulty because the 2nd level is a breeze on hard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anybody know where the tenth collectable is in the distillery (second level of the game and the first wherein there are collectables)? I'm guessing it has something to do with the inaccessible lever in the opening room of the level, but since it doesn't seem possible to backtrack to previous "zones", I'm hesitant to move forward.

Edit: Skyzard cleared this up in the Steam thread.

Yeah, the ledge hanging thing is really quite annoying. You need to crouch walk very slowly and it'll work every time but it's frustrating sometimes when you're under the gun to do it quickly.

Yeah, that needs a bit of tweaking, I think. If you're crouching and approach a ledge, you should hang automatically, regardless of how fast you're moving.

Edit: Err, "hang", not "drop". Fixed.

Skyzard

Banned

That's what it was, I was just holding down the analogue stick too much sometimes, need to do it nice and carefully and it works fine, but it was pretty annoying.

Really loving this, more so when I get an idea of how the level is laid out, can be pretty confusing getting about, it's a huge place. But that's nice too, multiple ways to go about things.

I'm 5 hours in, ledges are no longer an issue for me and platforming does what I want it do.

I think it was an issue of just getting a feel of the controls, I was way more confident in the 2nd level and used ledges to my advantage rather than avoid them. I wish I would've started on Goblin difficulty because the 2nd level is a breeze on hard.

You can change the difficulty at any time! Sorry, got I that wrong earlier - thought it would popup with an option to choose difficulty when replaying a mission. You just press pause and go to the game settings, it's the first one. I gotta check these menus more carefully.

Yep, I'm happier with ledges too now. Was kinda worried after that reviewer completed the game and seemingly never got the hang of it.

JaseC

Yep, I'm happier with ledges too now. Was kinda worried after that reviewer completed the game and seemingly never got the hang of it.

tumblr_inline_mjzbsyriapzz.gif

-MD-

You can change the difficulty at any time! Sorry, got I that wrong earlier - thought it would popup with an option to choose difficulty when replaying a mission. You just press pause and go to the game settings, it's the first one. I gotta check these menus more carefully.

Damn, for real? I even checked after I wrote that. I must be blind.

Labadal

I just wanted to say that if there are complaints about combat, one should disregard said complaint.

You are not meant to take on enemies head on. Enemies one-shot you at the highest difficulty. You're supposed to avoid guards or take them out by surprise with the tools given to you.

I am positively surprised by the game. It was a gamble pre- order and I am happy with myself for taking the chance to jump in.

I had totally ignored this game when I first heard about it. Stealth games can be pretty hit or miss. But I'm glad I got this. It's really solid and has great level design and challenging well-designed stealth mechanics. A really nice surprise

JaseC

Does anybody know where the tenth collectable is in the distillery (second level of the game and the first wherein there are collectables)? I'm guessing it has something to do with the inaccessible lever in the opening room of the level ...

Found it (it's just to the left of Styx; I happened to take the screenshot while it wasn't glowing):

I must have walked past that cart a dozen times, haha. Also, no AA because I absolutely cannot get it to work with GeDoSaTo. I'll force OGSSAA once there are known compatibility bits.

-MD-

How do you find relics? Was looking on level 2 for 15-20 minutes and gave up because I had no idea what I was even trying to find.

I think I was in the right area using that image they give you in the options but it has an eye pointing to a structure and yeah, didn't really know what to do.

Skyzard

Banned
Relics are like a treasure hunt, going to save that for afterwards. Not got my head around the map in the pause either yet.

Even getting all the collectibles would be tough...and on goblin difficulty, that's nuts.

Daverid

Is there any way of getting the game DRM Free? Or if you buy it as a physical release do you just have to activate it on Steam anyway?

I'm just one of those dinosaurs that really doesn't like Steam, but from what I played of the game at a friends house I really enjoyed it and am definitely looking to pick it up.

But if there's no way of DRM Free then I guess I'll just go with Steam.

Labadal

Is there any way of getting the game DRM Free? Or if you buy it as a physical release do you just have to activate it on Steam anyway?

I'm just one of those dinosaurs that really doesn't like Steam, but from what I played of the game at a friends house I really enjoyed it and am definitely looking to pick it up.

But if there's no way of DRM Free then I guess I'll just go with Steam.

I have only seen the game available digitally for all platforms. STEAM is the only way as far as I know.

Daverid

I have only seen the game available digitally for all platforms. STEAM is the only way as far as I know.

Oh well no biggie, I'll just grab it on Steam.

Seems like a damn steal if the rest of the game is as fun as what I played and it has like 15-20 hours of content all for just $24.

I have a review up over here as well...

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gsy_review_styx_master_of_shadows-15934_en.html

I enjoyed it for the most part but it can be frustrating at times.

My review is here if anyone wants to check it out

Long story short, I really enjoyed it. Very good stealth game, lots to do, quite lengthy and the level design is really good. I was hoping it would be good but it didn't disappoint.

As I said in my closing paragraph, if this had come out before the Thief reboot, they could have learnt a thing or two from this

Excellent reviews. Really in depth and clearly laid everything you both liked and disliked.

Looking back over their long list of past works it might not be a stretch to say that Styx: Master of Shadows is the finest game Cyanide Studio has made yet. Those who love the focused design of classic Thief games or the more modern Dishonored should find something here that they’ll enjoy but one must keep in mind some of its frustrations. The sloppy controls mixed with an ill-conceived detection system can produce some frustrating, trial and error filled moments. Still, when everything eventually clicks, the end result can prove quiet enjoyable. If you’re looking for a stealth game that is entirely devoted to stealth and have patience to deal with a bit of “jankiness” give it a try.

Good Lord in Heaven. If only Derrick were still here...

I've read and re-read everyone impressions, and I'm still on the fence. I really wanna play this on console, but the $40 AUD price tag is off-putting, especially for a gamble.

(Yes, Steam is half price, but I want some more games to justify my console purchases.. and fuck using the wired XBO controller.

Labadal

I have read some reviews and I have to shake my hand at them.

One comment struck me as stupid, that's the nicest way I can put it.

"forcibly making you take a stealthy approach"... It's a stealth game.

Others complain about the difficulty and that you will have to reload a lot. I was expecting nothing less. They weren't even playing on the highest difficulty. Someone said good luck to those playing on Goblin difficulty. I say that watch your surroundings or get screwed on Goblin difficulty is a better piece of advice.

In general, I don't take most of these reviews seriously.

I have read some reviews and I have to shake my hand at them.

One comment struck me as stupid, that's the nicest way I can put it.

"forcibly making you take a stealthy approach"... It's a stealth game.

Others complain about the difficulty and that you will have to reload a lot. I was expecting nothing less. They weren't even playing on the highest difficulty. Someone said good luck to those playing on Goblin difficulty. I say that watch your surroundings or get screwed on Goblin difficulty is a better piece of advice.

In general, I don't take most of these reviews seriously.
That reminds me how some reviews of precision platformers or twitch games will have one of the cons be that the game may be too hard for some people

I guess some reviewers are used to the action stealth approach of Hitman and SC Blacklist, where you could go guns blazing if you want

I just wanted to say that if there are complaints about combat, one should disregard said complaint.

You are not meant to take on enemies head on. Enemies one-shot you at the highest difficulty. You're supposed to avoid guards or take them out by surprise with the tools given to you.

I am positively surprised by the game. It was a gamble pre- order and I am happy with myself for taking the chance to jump in.

Exactly. You could barely fight in the old Thief games, and that added so much to the games. Maybe you could hold against some small animals, but even one guard takes time and makes noise. You should be essentially forced to be stealthy.

Tizoc

I've read and re-read everyone impressions, and I'm still on the fence. I really wanna play this on console, but the $40 AUD price tag is off-putting, especially for a gamble.

(Yes, Steam is half price, but I want some more games to justify my console purchases.. and fuck using the wired XBO controller.

I'd suggest getting it off US PSN, but it would be going for like 5ish AUD cheaper :p
It's 27 USD if you have Plus, I think you can fish around for a free PS Plus trial for US PSN and get it for that price? Grab US PSN cash codes from Amazon.com and get the game.

Fuz

Banned
I gave it a try at a friend's place.
Never heard about it before, but it's actually pretty cool and I love stealth games (or games that let you play like that, I played fully stealth in DE:HR). Also, really like the main character.

So... steam only, uh?

Tizoc

I gave it a try at a friend's place.
Never heard about it before, but it's actually pretty cool and I love stealth games (or games that let you play like that, I played fully stealth in DE:HR). Also, really like the main character.

So... steam only, uh?

It's on PS4 and the XBone.
PS4 is discounted on US PSN til...Late Sunday.
Since on Monday PSN will be down for maintenance :p

AsfaeksBR

I'm already finishing mission 2, but one thing struck me:

On mission 1, Styx talks about a Zepellinthat he says he "might go onboard" if he gets there on time.
I've seen a video and in the video I saw the zepellin flying away, but there was enough time to go onboard.

So, what happens if we manage to get onboard?

-MD-

I'm already finishing mission 2, but one thing struck me:

On mission 1, Styx talks about a Zepellinthat he says he "might go onboard" if he gets there on time.
I've seen a video and in the video I saw the zepellin flying away, but there was enough time to go onboard.

So, what happens if we manage to get onboard?

I don't think you can get onboard, I mean I didn't try but i'm pretty sure it was too far away to jump to.

How intelligent are the enemies in the game? I like the idea of stealth but I feel you never really know how intelligent a game is which can have a big bearing on enjoyment.

• How far and wide can enemies see - too many games let you walk almost under their nose like they have blinkers on
  • How well enemies hear footsteps and other noises
  • Does being seen by an enemy cause others to come to the rescue

-MD-

How intelligent are the enemies in the game? I like the idea of stealth but I feel you never really know how intelligent a game is which can have a big bearing on enjoyment.

• How far and wide can enemies see - too many games let you walk almost under their nose like they have blinkers on
  • How well enemies hear footsteps and other noises
  • Does being seen by an enemy cause others to come to the rescue

The AI isn't amazing or anything but it does the job imo.

Guards will walk in pre-set paths most of the time, some guards stay asleep until they hear a sound, some guards stay alert but never move. Room layouts are all different so the order in which you take enemies out is usually up to you. Later in the game you come across armored enemies that you can't take out yourself and require envrionmental kills.

Yes you will be waiting in the dark sometimes for 10-15 seconds to wait for some guards to circle around a wall but that's nothing new. Their cone of vision is actually pretty solid most of the time, if they're really far away then they won't spot you if you're killing a guard right out in the open, talkin pretty freak'in far but if they're in a room with you or in a room nearby while you do a non-silent kill they'll hear you for sure and come running. You can sometimes save yourself in this situation by taking cover behind a wall where the guard is running towards the kill he heard and do a cover-execute to take him out as well.

The 'silent' kills that require you to hold down the button for a few seconds will even alert guards if they're in whispering distance from you, they'll hear the dead body drop and hit the floor. If a guard spots a dead body they'll yell out and alert more nearby guards and they'll scout for you, I've been pulled out from under a table a few times. Another mechanic is guards carry potions, if you kill them while they're holding a potion it will shatter when they hit the floor and if your inventory is full it won't let you pickpocket them.

It does the job.

The AI isn't amazing or anything but it does the job imo.

Guards will walk in pre-set paths most of the time, some guards stay asleep until they hear a sound, some guards stay alert but never move. Room layouts are all different so the order in which you take enemies out is usually up to you. Later in the game you come across armored enemies that you can't take out yourself and require envrionmental kills.

Yes you will be waiting in the dark sometimes for 10-15 seconds to wait for some guards to circle around a wall but that's nothing new. Their cone of vision is actually pretty solid most of the time, if they're really far away then they won't spot you if you're killing a guard right out in the open, talkin pretty freak'in far but if they're in a room with you while you do a non-silent kill they'll hear you for sure and come running. You can sometimes save yourself in this situation by taking cover behind a wall where the guard is running towards the kill he heard and do a cover-execute to take him out as well.

The 'silent' kills that require you to hold down the button for a few seconds will even alert guards if they're in whispering distance from you, they'll hear the dead body drop and hit the floor. If a guard spots a dead body they'll yell out and alert more nearby guards and they'll scout for you, I've been pulled out from under a table a few times.

It does the job.

Thanks for that. I am caught in two minds as I like the idea of stealth but it sounds a bit frustrating if you get found out; more reason to hone those stealth skills I suppose.

Top Bottom