• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Primary Debate #1 |Tokyo2016| Rise of Mecha-Godzilla

GAF Definitive Conclusive Scientific Online Poll of Who Won

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reckless

Eh, I think Webb did much better than O'Malley. Carcetti basically admitted to supporting institutional racism to "save" a handful of lives.

At least O'Malley had a memorable closing statement.

All i remember from Webb is crying about time and how he killed a guy.

Bernie needs to not just state his case but call out differences from Clinton's policies as she is too good at giving non-responses. He is too civil and is not actually engaging in debate.

Clinton is Teflon and can still turn on her charm. I started wavering in my certainty of her beating any GOP candidate but I'm pretty confident in that being the case now. Anderson hit her hard at the start more articulately than any of the clown car inhabitants will.

Brakke

Banned
exactly, I'm not understanding the hate for Hilary's stance on pot... it was very much the best answer.

It was weak because its current status actually interferes with anybody's ability to perform the research she says she wants to see. It *needs* to be reclassified at the federal level in order to see the research carried out. Her stance was "I won't legalize it but" and then she said a bunch of things that require legalizing or severely de-criminalizing it.

oneils

I am genuinely surprised at the reaction to clintons proposal for tuition. 10 hours of work or volunteerism (I think that might a good compromise) during the study semesters would have appealed to me when I was in university. And university was dirt cheap compared to what Americans pay.

Foffy

Banned
Sanders is like Bizzarro Trump.

Does that mean where Trump is mostly factually wrong, Sanders is mostly, factually right? Where Trump is a good speaker, Sanders botches?

I am genuinely surprised at the reaction to clintons proposal for tuition. 10 hours of work or volunteerism (I think that might a good compromise) during the study semesters would have appealed to me when I was in university. And university was dirt cheap compared to what Americans pay.

Volunteerism is by choice. It's not a double-bind like how it is proposed by her. That's a mandatory effort for volunteering, and that should tell you how fucking stupid it is.

It's better than the mess we have now, sure, but acceptable by itself? No.

Still liking Bernie and Hillary seemed more genuine tonight but I'd still vote for Bernie if he got the party nomination. O'Malley surprised me and I'd like to see more of him. Kick the other two guys out though.

Merc_

giphy.gif

God I love it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
O'mally had an impressive closing statement and was eager to talk about actual issues and specific plans which was impressive.

Bernie still wins for me on issues by a lot. Though it's disappointing that he wouldn't pardon Snowden.

Hillary was surprisingly charismatic.

But I'm Canadian so I should probably go back to paying attention on our upcoming election.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm wondering who gained the most from this debate tonight?

Bernie is not strong on foreign policy, he's always been about pro government for America, to the point of protectionism, but he's never been someone 'concerned' with foreign intervention to start with unless absolutely necessary.

He's gone from a pacifist in his earlier days to a 'pragmatic' on wartime action which will likely anger a lot of anti war people. His gun record is spotty as well.

But besides those two issues, he came on very strong about what he's usually good at talking about, which is domestic issues in general

Hillary is stronger in terms of presentation in regards to foreign policy, but her domestic policy was like it was cribbed from somewhere two weeks ago. Not very convincing IMO.

O Mailey i think had the most to gain, because he was at like 1 percent, and now people actually know who he is, even if he was weaker than both Hillary and Bernie on all the issues.

The other people should not be there.

Effect

SNL is going to be really good this week. No way it can't. They have a lot of good material to work with here. They'd have to purposefully make it bad.

Foffy

Banned
O'mally had an impressive closing statement and was eager to talk about actual issues and specific plans which was impressive.

Bernie still wins for me on issues by a lot. Though it's disappointing that he wouldn't pardon Snowden.

Hillary was surprisingly charismatic.

But I'm Canadian so I should probably go back to paying attention on our upcoming election.

As an America, I'd like to ask: how mainstream are some of the efforts in the election about ending poverty via basic income programs? I know the Green Party and Canadian Based God David Suzuki are totally for it, but I know nothing on the climate there.

FStubbs

IIRC Webb was originally a Reagan Republican.

He only got into the Senate because George Allen, while running for re-election in 2006 with his eye toward the 2008 election (where he was likely the GOP establishment pick), screwed up by using a racist epithet against an Indian camera-man. Webb then basically won by default.

Damerman

Bernie needs to not just state his case but call out differences from Clinton's policies as she is too good at giving non-responses. He is too civil and is not actually engaging in debate.

Clinton is Teflon and can still turn on her charm. I started wavering in my certainty of her beating any GOP candidate but I'm pretty confident in that being the case now. Anderson hit her hard at the start more articulately than any of the clown car inhabitants will.

totally agreed. i have no clue how hilary came out so clean after her first two questions. Anderson came out going for the knock out punch and she pulled a mayweather.

much props to her.

oneils

Does that mean where Trump is mostly factually wrong, Sanders is mostly, factually right? Where Trump is a good speaker, Sanders botches?

Volunteerism is by choice. It's not a double-bind like how it is proposed by her. That's a mandatory effort for volunteering, and that should tell you how fucking stupid it is.

It's better than the mess we have now, sure, but acceptable by itself? No.

Mandatory if you want free tuition. I mean, you still have a choice. I guess I'm dumb. Does not seem anywhere near unacceptable to me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
literally no one will agree with you here. Webb was a complete disaster.

I agree with that poster so you're wrong.

Webb's enemy answer was the most exciting thing to happen in this snoozefest short of Hillary's "no". That was goddamn cool.

antonz

Nothing she proposed actually does anything major. Her actual proposal is Families have to pay something, Student needs to work and the money made from working will go to the school.

The reality is her plan does not radically change the system.

totally agreed. i have no clue how hilary came out so clean after her first two questions. Anderson came out going for the knock out punch and she pulled a mayweather.

much props to her.

Hillary's good at this. This is her jam.

That's what a lot of us were saying going into this. She knows how to debate. She knows how to be a politician, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom