• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Primary Debate #1 |Tokyo2016| Rise of Mecha-Godzilla

GAF Definitive Conclusive Scientific Online Poll of Who Won

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

CRPw56VUkAAW849.png:large

Poor Chafee. Sanders & Clinton were the clear stars of the debate though.

giga

How do all of you expect this will change the polls?

I'm guessing Hillary might lose some votes to the the three minor candidates, simply because of their new visibility.
Probably not much, but I expect Hillary to improve a little because people are seeing her more than her email server now, which has dominated the airwaves this year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say I have a more favorable opinion of Sanders than I did before, and not that I disagree with the guy on his issues but I admit I let some of his more extreme supports cloud that thought process.

honestly i do hope that more people can do this. i think people get very passionate about sanders because he represents someone who they feel genuinely voices them in the political sphere, and that doesn't happen. the trouble is passionate people can often be dicks. but that shouldnt be on bernie. as a man, he is principled to the bone and goes out of his way to talk to those against him - see his liberty university speech. if you like bernie but dislike his supporters... become a supporter! you're the change we need.

lednerg

Nailed it.

I think Slate's Political Gabfest podcast might be right about O'Malley turning some heads and making a name for himself. No matter what it should be interesting. The Dems get to come out as the adults of the political landscape. I don't see Cooper trying to goad them into bickering with each other too much, but maybe I don't know him well enough.

Maybe not so much on Anderson. I felt the first half was too heavy with the gotcha questions. He should've eased them into the electability questions, too.

Machina

Banned
whats the likelyhood of a Hilary president and sanders VP campaign and vice versa?

I would like to know this as well. Hillary can continue to appeal to the centre while Sanders brings along the Progressives that the Democrats have lost over the past few years.

HylianTom

Banned
It would benefit Hillary if Chaffee, Webb, and O'Malley stay in. Her debate performance for the most part looks good in comparison to those three, and they eat-up screen time while she's able to coast along.

Really happy with tonight in general. I'd hug both Hillary and Bernie if I could.

BFIB

Hilary won, Sanders was about what I expected, but OMalley was my surprise of the night. Really well done.

Cheebo

Banned
I would like to know this as well. Hillary can continue to appeal to the centre while Sanders brings along the Progressives that the Democrats have lost over the past few years.
You don't do two people nearly or over 70 years old on a ticket. She will go young.

It's essentially an ACA-like proposition for college.

Fix some issues, but never the roots of the problem. I consider that unacceptable.

And just like the ACA you have to start somewhere!. Free collage for all is a mythical unicorn that you are not going to get anytime soon. Just like universal healthcare. But you have to start the nation on that path somewhere then build on it.

Clinton's ideals seem a lot more achievable then Bernie's.

How do all of you expect this will change the polls?

I'm guessing Hillary might lose some votes to the the three minor candidates, simply because of their new visibility.

Biden's support will disappear. He wasn't on the stage, there's no reason for him to jump in. Hillary will take back the lions share of Biden's support. I bet O'Malley will gain a few points. On the whole, I think it'll stay the same.

I always had a positive view of Sanders and probably always will. His fight is an admirable one even if he has some pie in the sky thoughts.

His supporters are still really really brutal to deal with.

I expect to see Chafee and Webb go down (well, not down, I guess. They're at zero. Maybe they'll go up, but the point is, they'll stay at statistically negligible). I expect Sanders and O'Malley to go up. Clinton may go down, not because she did poorly, but because the other two did well. But don't take my predictions to seriously, I'm dumb.

Foffy

Banned

Chafee at 1%. ):

And just like the ACA you have to start somewhere!. Free collage for all is a mythical unicorn that you are not going to get anytime soon. Just like universal healthcare. But you have to start the nation on that path somewhere then build on it.

This would be fine, so long as we don't settle for less.

Hillary no longer wants universal health care. Why should I believe she'd want free college with none of those servitude horseshit?

I'm not even saying all or nothing. But she already has set a precedent that even what Obama wants as the endgame isn't even on the cards for her anymore...

Maybe not so much on Anderson. I felt the first half was too heavy with the gotcha questions. He should've eased them into the electability questions, too.

Eh, I understand it's a debate, but this is exactly how Anderson does every single interview I have ever watched him do.

Valhelm

contribute something
honestly i do hope that more people can do this. i think people get very passionate about sanders because he represents someone who they feel genuinely voices them in the political sphere, and that doesn't happen. the trouble is passionate people can often be dicks. but that shouldnt be on bernie. as a man, he is principled to the bone and goes out of his way to talk to those against him - see his liberty university speech. if you like bernie but dislike his supporters... become a supporter! you're the change we need.

Absolutely!

I think this visibility will probably help Sanders substantially, if only because his views were so different from the other candidates.

ibyea

Banned

Why is it mythical when the US used to have near free colleges before the 70s?

To quote Hilary, "no"

Also, I don't think she is a Republican in disguise.

Aren't you same person who abandons threads when your strict adherence to ideology is threatened with facts and reason? Not exactly a surprise you would rather be ruled over by Republicans than sacrifice that ideological purity.

Obviously Bernie and Hilary were the strongest. I was genuinely worried about Bernie at the beginning, but he made an impressive comeback. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it depends on which part you feel matters to you more. If it's foreign policy and gun, Hilary wins. If it's about domestic issues, Bernie wins. I feel the latter is more important overall, but I can see why people might think Hilary did better as well. It was a good debate.

Ehh someone called him out earlier for caring too much about labels. That "Edward Snowden: hero or traitor" question was useless. Candidates did well actually discussing the nuance of the situation at least.

I do agree on that. That was definitely the low point of his night as far as questions go.

User1608

Banned
For me Hillary, Bernie and O'Malley did the best by far. The other two are a non factor. I prefer sensible, mature debates over the theatrical clown show of the GOP. Fuck them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom