• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Primary Debate #1 |Tokyo2016| Rise of Mecha-Godzilla

GAF Definitive Conclusive Scientific Online Poll of Who Won

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now the Facebook shit begins. I just saw someone say Obama was coming for our guns because he hates America.

Seriously, how the fuck can people think this shit?

This is how presidents get elected.
qKm05As.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Mandatory if you want free tuition. I mean, you still have a choice. I guess I'm dumb. Does not seem anywhere near unacceptable to me.

I'm of the opinion if we impose anything on another person, it should be grounded in reality and understanding.

Double-binding volunteering by making it an "assimilate or get fucked" is as disingenuous to the whole point of volunteering that there is. It's literally saying "you must waste X amount of your hours, pick something or fuck off."

It's a snide attempt at assimilating to ideas that, when examined, are still on weak, faulty grounds.

cDNA

Rank

Hillary (I think she stumbled in occasions in the middle, the rest was pretty good)
Sanders(have good moments, but is a terrible a idea he didn't practice for these debates, read David Axelrod interview about Romney-Obama debates in NPR, the preparation made a big difference)
OMaley(good but I think he should show more energy)
Webb( I think he is a smart guy, but as Anderson Copper said he wasted a lot time)
Chaffee( Very bad in some parts he looked incoherent and lost)

Shouta

I do think O'Malley did the most for himself during the debate. He made himself known, look competent, and actually trying to do something concrete. Honestly, he's kinda like what I would imagine you would get if you combined Hillary and Bernie but dialed both back a notch or two in their respective strengths. Kind of welcome when you have Bernie going crazy and Hillary giving politician answers.

Gattsu25

Banned
Poor Chafee. Sanders & Clinton were the clear stars of the debate though.

Chafee managed to ruin all his chances at President during those 9 minutes and 11 seconds.

Can't imagine the damage he would do if he was given more time.

Seriously, I'm still reeling over his "It was my first day on the job" answer.

oneils

As an America, I'd like to ask: how mainstream are some of the efforts in the election about ending poverty via basic income programs? I know the Green Party and Canadian Based God David Suzuki are totally for it, but I know nothing on the climate there.

From what I've seen, Child poverty and First Nations conditions are two topics that take up some debate. But there is no serious debate about guaranteed income programs. We discuss shoring up existing social programs for children and First Nations.

Sanjuro

I don't think he was a disaster. It's just very obvious that he's not a progressive.

I think many people are missing this. He did fine, and he will find his niche in the party.

By saying that, I do mean he is grasping on to that 1-3% or so at best.

Chafee needs to come back home and get some Dunkin Donuts.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think it was pretty split for Sanders and Hillary give or take. Sanders appeals more to me, left left but Hillary definitely appeals more to center voters on certain issues simply by restraint.

O'Malley did very good considering my expectations of him and Webb did OK. Webb got little time and didn't knew how to properly interrupt discussion, something he needs to learn how to do. I do like him as a VP pick. Resume + appeal to republican conservatives now calling themselves independent.

Poor Chafee.... he has a good soul but he's done.

The debate was definitely a stark contrast to the Republican clown show.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
was a good debate and such a good demonstration of what the current party is vs the republican (via debate).

I thought sanders was a bit weak on foreign policy and generally uninterested in discussing it, and I think that is one of the most important areas; economically and socially. Hilary impressed me with her responses to foreign policy and overall very tough questioning from anderson cooper. she wasnt perfect though.

overall i thought hilary won, and will seemingly stomp the crap out of any republican candidate on the table based on tonights debate. i do like what bernie has to offer, and hope he inspires more to jump in.

I agree with Bernie on a lot of things but I feel like I'm gonna have to go with Hillary simply cause she's the only chance in my opinion for a democrat taking the white house in terms of sheer mass appeal

I don't think he was a disaster. It's just very obvious that he's not a progressive.

I agree with you. I'm not in line with his policies, but he did fine in the debate. Had a few weird moments, but not crazy gaffes. Would probably do really well in another political era. Right now, it's just a hard time for him.

Plasmid

I agree with Bernie on a lot of things but I feel like I'm gonna have to go with Hillary simply cause she's the only chance in my opinion for a democrat taking the white house in terms of sheer mass appeal

This is a horrible way to vote. You just said popularity > values basically.

I think it was pretty split for Sanders and Hillary give or take. Sanders appeals more to me, left left but Hillary definitely appeals more to center voters on certain issues simply by restraint.

O'Malley did very good considering my expectations of him and Webb did OK. Webb got little time and didn't knew how to properly interrupt discussion, something he needs to learn what to do.

Poor Chafee.... he has a good soul but he's done.

The debate was definitely a stark contrast to the Republican clown show.

Omalley and Webb had about the same amount of time. It just doesn't seem that way since Webb burned so much of his crying about not having enough minutes.

benjipwns

Banned
IIRC Webb was originally a Reagan Republican.

He only got into the Senate because George Allen, while running for re-election in 2006 with his eye toward the 2008 election (where he was likely the GOP establishment pick), screwed up by using a racist epithet against an Indian camera-man. Webb then basically won by default.
Webb is what you'd call a "Reagan Democrat" probably. He actually endorsed George Allen in 2000. Though he usually backed Democrats, it was generally Blue Dogs/moderates.

The only reason he really ran (and progressives flocked to him and drafted him for the Senate run) was because of the Iraq War. And his refusal to speak to W. Bush over it.

IIRC, it was like the last two weeks of that campaign where Democrats started finding out about his actual views and the sexual stuff from book he wrote and so on because George Allen was throwing everything he had left out to try and hold on.

Webb used Reagan in one of his ads, and defended the use of racial epithets lol.

Webb still only won 49.6% to 49.2%.

I don't think people like to admit this, but the Democrats have indeed changed quite a bit over the past few years.
They haven't gone bonkers off the deep end like the Republicans, but they've changed. Someone like Jim Webb would have done alright in the past. He's essentially a Reagan/Clinton era Democrat in some respects.

Bowler

I agree with you. I'm not in line with his policies, but he did fine in the debate. Had a few weird moments, but not crazy gaffes. Would probably do really well in another political era. Right now, it's just a hard time for him.
Agreed. He would be a breath of fresh air for the moderates... but no.. we have to deal with fucking crazies pandering to the far right

Bernie is paying his way through things by taxing the rich, especially corporations who pay no damn taxes whatsoever. If you want to flip both chambers before 2022, you will have to vote Bernie and it will happen in 2016 if his message catches and he drives voters to the polls or 2018 when he demands a congress he can work with.

oneils

I'm of the opinion if we impose anything on another person, it should be grounded in reality and understanding.

Double-binding volunteering by making it an "assimilate or get fucked" is as disingenuous to the whole point of volunteering that there is. It's literally saying "you must waste X amount of your hours, pick something or fuck off."

It's a snide attempt at assimilating to ideas that, when examined, are still on weak, faulty grounds.

Gotcha. I get your objection. I just have to admit I would have gladly assimilated to the idea - it would have made school much easier for me. I wasted a lot of hours making minimum wage during school (20-30hrs per week).

Loakum

Banned
Jim Webb
5 %
Bernie Sanders
74 %
Hillary Clinton
17 %
Lincoln Chafee
1 %
Martin O'Malley
3 %

lol

I see you, reddit.

Bernie wants to:

• Free College
  • $15 minuium wage
  • Wars be Last resort
  • Weed and Pizza for all!
  • Restructure the Criminal Justice System #BLM
We'll be fools not to support that man! lol

Bernie is paying his way through things by taxing the rich, especially corporations who pay no damn taxes whatsoever. If you want to flip both chambers before 2022, you will have to vote Bernie and it will happen in 2016 if his message catches and he drives voters to the polls or 2018 when he demands a congress he can work with.

2022 something something 2016 something something 2056

Literally rambling.

Webb gave the best performance in terms of his statements on military and such. Sanders is unfeasible and Clinton is still pretty untrustworthy.

Though none of the candidates said anything to sway me from voting for Rubio.

Jim Webb reminds me of that creepy guy in fatigues that Elaine hired when she was running the J. Peterman Catalogue and everyone else under her quit.

That, but somehow in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom