• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Primary Debate #1 |Tokyo2016| Rise of Mecha-Godzilla

GAF Definitive Conclusive Scientific Online Poll of Who Won

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am genuinely surprised at the reaction to clintons proposal for tuition. 10 hours of work or volunteerism (I think that might a good compromise) during the study semesters would have appealed to me when I was in university. And university was dirt cheap compared to what Americans pay.

It's a good plan. Just not as popular as free. Which is basically political pandering.

Bernie wants to:

• Free College
  • $15 minuium wage
  • Wars be Last resort
  • Weed and Pizza for all!
We'll be fools not to support that man! lol

Sounds like a lot of empty promises to me. What if I campaigned on giving everyone a free car. Would you vote for me?

Don't worry about how I'd get it past Congress.

b4Y4DeK.jpg

He can literally kill everyone on this forum with his bare hands in 10 seconds.

And yet he's been waiting 10 minutes.

antonz

Why are people acting like the 10 hours = school is free? Her policy has nothing about that. In fact the biggest part of her proposal is basically a repeat of her 2009 Wall Street "Cut it out". She will get the schools to stop being so expensive.

params7

Banned
Bernie wants to:

• Free College
  • $15 minuium wage
  • Wars be Last resort
  • Restructure the Criminal Justice System #BLM

Very idealistic. Bernie can you last two terms to carry all this through :s

LCGeek

formerly sane
Chaffe had me rolling with that response, but lets get back to real good parts.

I think bernie just dominated the election tone and what it is about without Question. However if bernie supporters think this debate of his is winning him favors or supports where he need it clinton looked presidential as fuck at times. The denmark comment will sink in with the middle and middle left of this country. Same for the gun response and bernie berning himself at various points on the subject. Bern utterly was tempo and the beat but hillary was lyrics she went all out BAE.

I've knocked hilary for months cause of her lackluster response but the debate was uncanny and better than some of her stuff in the 08 election.

Webb was bold and ballsy fuck all you haters with the enemy comment. He paused a bit too. Talk about a bad time to try make humorous about your personal life and war.

If biden enters sanders, clinton, and o'malley should have no trouble ripping the republicans to shreds even more when they get the chance.

ibyea

Banned
I am genuinely surprised at the reaction to clintons proposal for tuition. 10 hours of work or volunteerism (I think that might a good compromise) during the study semesters would have appealed to me when I was in university. And university was dirt cheap compared to what Americans pay.

Against it personally. In college one needs to focus on school. Jobs detract from that.

Vire

Bernie wants to:

• Free College
  • $15 minuium wage
  • Wars be Last resort
  • Restructure the Criminal Justice System #BLM
Sounds worse than Obama to me in terms of false promises. For an old man, he seemed incredibly naive.

Bernie is paying his way through things by taxing the rich, especially corporations who pay no damn taxes whatsoever. If you want to flip both chambers before 2022, you will have to vote Bernie and it will happen in 2016 if his message catches and he drives voters to the polls or 2018 when he demands a congress he can work with.

Right...

Why are people acting like the 10 hours = school is free? Her policy has nothing about that. In fact the biggest part of her proposal is basically a repeat of her 2009 Wall Street "Cut it out". She will get the schools to stop being so expensive.
"Cut it out" should haunt her. She needs to do better than that.

ibyea

Banned
Very idealistic. Bernie can you last two terms to carry all this through :s

Unfortunately the house of representative will be on lock for the Republicans for years to come. There are things he will be able to do but a lot of his agenda will be certainly blocked. That said, I would still rather have him for president.

Loakum

Banned
Sounds worse than Obama to me in terms of false promises. For an old man, he seemed incredibly naive.

BIG DIFFERENCE: Bernie isn't backed by Wallstreet. Also, the GOP actually passed a law that prevents people on welfare from buying pizza and cookies (I forget which states this is in affect). I would be running ads about this constantly!

And absolutely none of this will get through.

Believe....believe.

Trey

And absolutely none of this will get through.

I think he has a chance on the college bit. There is bipartisan support for college reform. He might not get all of what he wants - same with Clinton - but it's a possibility. And I think weed will be legalized nationwide before the next president's term is up.

Foffy

Banned
Bernie is paying his way through things by taxing the rich, especially corporations who pay no damn taxes whatsoever. If you want to flip both chambers before 2022, you will have to vote Bernie and it will happen in 2016 if his message catches and he drives voters to the polls or 2018 when he demands a congress he can work with.

I'm not sure even if he won it'd be good. Gerrymandering means whoever gets elected is dealing with a broken system.

Then again, I'm of the opinion any real, sincere solution to our problems will not be found through patchwork, but the ultimate futility and collapse of our systems that produced them. I don't even think if Bernie got everything he wanted we'd be okay. Better off, sure, but still not okay. But that's a bullet in the chamber just waiting to be fired, anyway...

Gotcha. I get your objection. I just have to admit I would have gladly assimilated to the idea - it would have made school much easier for me. I wasted a lot of hours making minimum wage during school (20-30hrs per week).

Compared to that alternative you cite, it's a fantastic proposition, and I can see why people would dig that. But it's still not a humane one. People should want to go to college because they want to learn, and want to use that learning to expand and/or improve lives near them and their interests. This should have as few impositions against it as possible, and the same should ever go so far as applying to the entire labor system as well. Maybe this is because I acknowledge one fact: the idea of necessity is only an idea, but not a real one. You don't have to go on living or doing anything, and this itself is liberation in the truest, honest sense. As such, we should cultivate a society that understands this and empowers people with these facts, instead of getting them caught into social fictions we call reality, and tell them they must play them all with the invisible handcuffs we shackle them into.

We are still, in many unfortunate ways, trying to get well adjusted to profoundly sick societies, based on the ideas it evocates and infers as the law of the land. I am very much against all of that shit and why I find this solution unacceptable. It's still a floaty, weak idea in a society totally running with many more of those as its collective ego. Free will is a big problem in America and poor justification for many human abuses and inequalities that are naturally produced by its social mechanisms and designs, and that is almost the response to changing this mess.

Sounds like a lot of empty promises to me. What if I campaigned on giving everyone a free car. Would you vote for me?

Don't worry about how I'd get it past Congress.

I dunno. I probably would if we lived in a world where free cars were essential to fixing our economic disparity.

Also would you cover the sales tax on the car? How many years of insurance and personal property would you include? What about registration and inspections? Would you also cover maintenance for a given period? Also what kind of car are we taking about?

This is a bad way to look at it. We know Sanders can't do everything he's promising. This isn't magic fantasy land. I'm supporting Sanders partly to send a message like everybody else. We want to show you don't need big corporation backing to be president. We want to show people are willing to support radical ideas. Can he succeed, we don't know, but we're gonna try.

NexusCell

Believe....believe.
There's a difference between "optimistic goals" and "unrealistic pipe dreams"

A president in this day in age would be lucky to get one of those things through in a single term, assuming it isn't butchered to hell and back, and with the current Republican House, it stands absolutely no chance unless you want a superbly watered down or concession filled bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom