• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
They're a continuing threat. To South Korea.

With which we have deep economic ties. I think if the question was, "who would be most likely to use a nuke" then NK would be a good answer. But Russia is the bigger threat, for sure. They are flexing their muscles in key conflicts right now.

Bernie's had a long time to read up on something other than Wall Street speculations and campaign finance reform.

He blew it. And he still has zero ability to explain specifics.

He'll eek out a win in NH, but he's done after that.

Warren vs. Clinton would've been amazing. This is just sad.

A Clinton/Warren ticket would be amazing. But I think she dose more good where she is now.

q_q

Bernie's had a long time to read up on something other than Wall Street speculations and campaign finance reform.

He blew it. And he still has zero ability to explain specifics.

He'll eek out a win in NH, but he's done after that.

Warren vs. Clinton would've been amazing. This is just sad.
Running on a single important issue is a viable political strategy. He certainly has work to do, but these rationalizations that hes done are amusing.

North Korea is not a physical threat to anyone but reintegrating their populace would be such a mess. Also even a weak nuke can cause a lot of infrastructure damage in the circuit capital of the world thru EMP.

Effect

At very least you have to show you at least know what you're talking about on foreign policy. Have a few details here and there. You do your homework. Who ever was coaching him on FP needs to be fired.

loki 16

Most of the voting public rates foreign policy very lowly. They should move on to other issues like immigration.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Most of the voting public rates foreign policy very lowly. They should move on to other issues like immigration.

That might have been true, but far less true since the Paris attacks.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Bernie can't be taken seriously unless he can specify more on foreign policy. He can stand toe-to-toe with her on economics, but it's not enough.

ApharmdX

Banned
Exactly what has Hillary said tonight to make you think that?

She has been very clear that her positions on FP regarding Syria largely align with what Obama is already doing.

Your problem is assuming that I agree with what Obama is already doing. Hint: I do not.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised they devoted as much time to it as they did. I don't think a single debate has dedicated enough time to criminal justice reform/police brutality/BLM thus far. I'd like to see a solid 20 minutes on that in one of these debates.

The query was of the greatest threat to the US.
And ivy is right in that the only threat they really pose to SK is belligerent existence. It's an impoverished nation largely reliant on Chinese aid.

They aren't going to do anything.

Russia has annexed a portion of a sovereign nation.

North Korea remains a case of diplomacy by extortion. Lots of saber rattling and TD-2 tests carefully planned to coincide with international talks. "Give us food or we'll set off this bomb!"

But don't underestimate the global flashpoint they could unleash. There's a hell of a lot more than a DMZ to deal with when China is their de facto big brother.

I don't mind what Bernie is saying on foreign policy as much as I'm tired of hearing the same thing over and over. He needs to bring something new to the table next debate.

Foreign policy isn't high on many dems lists of top priorities, fortunately

Blader

I think this might be the best Dem debate yet, they're both doing (largely) excellent.

Four months ago, you'd be right. But the Paris attacks put foreign policy back into the spotlight in a huge way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't mind what Bernie is saying on foreign policy as much as I'm tired of hearing the same thing over and over. He needs to bring something new to the table next debate.

Foreign policy isn't high on many dems lists of top priorities, fortunately

But it is a huge issue in the general. Eyes on the prize guys

ivysaur12

Banned
1) North Korea is not an isolated country. They receive a huge amount of foreign aid, despite what they want you to think.

2) North Korea's existence only is because China allows it. Without China, North Korea would not exist.

3) North Korea cannot directly attack South Korea with a nuclear weapon for a variety of reasons, most of which is because it would end their existence. China would no longer play patron to their devices, and the world would retaliate in ways that make Shock & Awe seem like child's play.

4) Because North Korea knows about #3, they will never actually do #3, unless --

5) North Korea becomes an irrational actor, but thus far, they have not. Even under Un. Evil and maniacal, yes. Irrational? No.

6) If North Korea ever became an irrational actor on the world stage, they would post a much bigger threat. As of now? That is not the case.

Linkyn

eek out when he is leading by 30 points there? Ok.

But no, foreign policy wont do much. Democrats dont care much about it.

In real terms, when it comes down to it, most people care about the economy and national security above all else. They basically just want to be reassured that the lives and livelihood of them and their family are safe.

The country that just tested a nuclear bomb detonation is a relic of the past now?
Nuclear bomb technology is more than 60 years old.

Also Obama admin suggested the tests were fake and/or over-exaggerated
The results of American testing was “not consistent” with the expected readings linked to H-bomb testing, said spokesman Josh Earnest.

The spokesman noted that independent assessments echoed the U.S. findings, with “significant and understandable skepticism of the claims of the North Korean regime.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-north-korea-h-bomb-justice-article-1.2487282

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Caucus process in Iowa is bullshit and we all know it.

I love how neither of them give a fuck because they know it's bullshit.

1) North Korea is not an isolated country. They receive a huge amount of foreign aid, despite what they want you to think.

2) North Korea's existence only is because China allows it. Without China, North Korea would not exist.

3) North Korea cannot directly attack South Korea with a nuclear weapon for a variety of reasons, most of which is because it would end their existence. China would no longer play patron to their devices, and the world would retaliate in ways that make Shock & Awe seem like child's play.

4) Because North Korea knows about #3, they will never actually do #3, unless --

5) North Korea becomes an irrational actor, but thus far, they have not. Even under Un. Evil and maniacal, yes. Irrational? No.

6) If North Korea ever became an irrational actor on the world stage, they would post a much bigger threat. As of now? That is not the case.

Perfect.

nib95

Banned
Just because she sounds good answering foreign policy questions doesnt mean they are good answers..

Agreed. Some of the stuff she says just sounds like the regurgitated hawk-like policies and ideas that have been fucking things up for decades now. More of the same so to speak. Because they've really done a great job thus far. I agree with Bernie on several of these foreign policy issues. One way or another the Arab nations have to come together on these issues, and only with the help of a coalition of nations can they take on the threat within.

The query was of the greatest threat to the US.
And ivy is right in that the only threat they really pose to SK is belligerent existence. It's an impoverished nation largely reliant on Chinese aid.

But in that case which of those countries are a real threat to the US? Russia's economy is crippled and while they are a big european threat, I doubt they can ever become the USSR. Iran is a regional player.

Don't see why it's such a stretch to think North Korea is the biggest threat. Their people are brainwashed, they have no idea what they would be up against, and it's not like they really have to worry about economic impact since they hardly trade with the rest of the world.

I think from all the imaginary enemies they have the greater uncertainty factor.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But in that case which of those countries are a real threat to the US? Russia's economy is crippled and while they are a big european threat, I doubt they can ever become the USSR. Iran is a regional player.

I would say Iran just because Iran is more likely to fuck with US interests in the ME than North Korea is with South Korea

Nuclear bomb technology is more than 60 years old.[/url]

What does this have to do with anything? It's still the most dangerous weapon on the planet. Even when nuclear technology is 1000 years old it will still be something that can do a ton of damage and kill millions of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom