• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate VI: Raid Time 2/11 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm honestly curious, how would this uproot what we've accomplished so far? Bernie wouldn't be dismantling the ACA first, then trying to implement a NHS. He would be trying to implement the NHS as a direct sequel to the ACA, which would only be dismantled if NHS is passed (unlikely).

Because Bernie is unelectable in the general.

Izuna

Banned
People can go bankrupt from getting a operation they need to live. Does the NHS have that? Watch Michael Moore's documentary Sicko for a better picture on the healthcare system pre ACA.

No, not at all. In fact, my partner (Japanese) got an awesome GP and only had to pay for prescription drugs which were cheap. And if you receive benefits, then the NHS will pay for them (including Dental work).

But that wasn't what I meant. The actual level of care in the UK is criticised all the time. It's strange to hear it be so envied.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I always enjoy when they pan to the crowd and no-one is clapping and yet you can audibly hear clapping.

Everything was thrown at her when she tried to take health care. She was sued because the GOP said that the First Lady didn't have the right to do what she was doing. She was crucified in the media. Big Pharma and Insurance companies went after with a passion. The GOP in Congress destroyed her. It wasn't pretty. She didn't win, but she got CHIPS out of it, eventually.
I think Bernie is the right candidate, but Hillary clearly has done her best on Healthcare. I think that is something the young could appreciate more.

Raxus

Bernie may have trouble with minorities but Hillary is having a similar problem with young women. It is nice she responded to this. Hopefully Bernie does the same.

pigeon

Banned
I'm honestly curious, how would this uproot what we've accomplished so far? Bernie wouldn't be dismantling the ACA first, then trying to implement a NHS. He would be trying to implement the NHS as a direct sequel to the ACA, which would only be dismantled if NHS is passed (unlikely).

I would argue that trying and failing to implement a single-payer system will alienate the stakeholders in the health care industry who needed to be managed into the guaranteed issue model, which will undercut their support for Obamacare and lead to it breaking down to some degree.

Part of the point of the Dutch health care model is that we already have a huge insurance industry and it is not actually super feasible -- practically, not just politically -- to suddenly blow it up and implement single payer. I would rather not attempt this and fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom