• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

0lHnUC.jpg

0lHmFc.jpg

0lHKoP.jpg

0lHST2.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just helped six people one shot the maneaters using firestorm. love how happy people get when they see how easily they both go down. Im on NG+ too so they must be very hard to melee.

I actually fell and died once. My first time falling off the platform. I used to get so upset at people who manage to die like that but now its see that its practically glitched. you get dragged off the platform if you mistime the dodge.

Anyway, I'm gonna be online if someone wants any help with the maneaters or any other bosses. my firestorm build cant take many hits but at worst i can take out 90% of their health.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I done with my Dex build run and I think I'm going to take break from this game for now, I think I done around 7-8 runs by now.This game was the perfect launch game for PS5, its type of game that you can put over 100 + hours in to it.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Just helped six people one shot the maneaters using firestorm. love how happy people get when they see how easily they both go down. Im on NG+ too so they must be very hard to melee.

I actually fell and died once. My first time falling off the platform. I used to get so upset at people who manage to die like that but now its see that its practically glitched. you get dragged off the platform if you mistime the dodge.

Anyway, I'm gonna be online if someone wants any help with the maneaters or any other bosses. my firestorm build cant take many hits but at worst i can take out 90% of their health.
You are a prince among men for helping. I just used poison mist and hid like a coward.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
After finding the Sodden Ring tucked away in the corner of the Latria swamp, I finally got plat! 100% baby!

Wrv4CBI.jpg

Feels good man. My first ever PS5 plat. First ever Souls plat too. I had gotten 100% on Sekiro on PC, which was my first and only From plat until now.

Anyways I loved the ride! Highly recommend doing it all to dive into the world and character tendency stuff. The assassination mini quest was so dope and also I enjoyed the extra additions to the worlds, which I had no idea were a thing in this game for years and years.

Im thinking of diving into a 4K RPCS3 play of the original just for fun. I’ve beaten it several times on PS3 but want to revisit the original From release in 4k and see how the atmosphere compares.

Anyone done this? Gone back to the original after beating the remake? Could be a RTTP thread.

Oh and the only bug i found annoying was your world tendency does not update if you die in human form and respawn, no matter how many blue rocks you crack, you have to warp back to the nexus and then head back to see the world tendency update. This tripped me up. Note you need to die in human form 7 times to take from pure white to pure black.

Last edited:

RNG

Lol someone completely ganked me last night by throwing some sort of yellow piss and destroying all my weapons and armour completely. Went to the merchant and it would’ve costed me 65k souls to repair. Fuck that. Reverted save file immediately from the cloud.

SlimySnake

Am i wrong for loving the rune shield and sword? They are pretty fun, upgrading sucks though
I found them to be pretty useless because the damage output is so low. its good for magic defense but i tried using the shield for the Fools Idol boss and still got gang raped from every direction and its pretty much impossible to block the soul arrow attacks.

Lol someone completely ganked me last night by throwing some sort of yellow piss and destroying all my weapons and armour completely. Went to the merchant and it would’ve costed me 65k souls to repair. Fuck that. Reverted save file immediately from the cloud.
lol its the acid cloud. someone did that to me early on in the game. i was upgrading some weapons at the blacksmith, had no idea i was even invaded or what the hell he was doing until everything i had broke.

literally toxic.

Last edited:

RNG

lol its the acid cloud. someone did that to me early on in the game. i was upgrading some weapons at the blacksmith, had no idea i was even invaded or what the hell he was doing until everything i had broke.

literally toxic.
Yeah same, haven't played in a while and had no idea I could get invaded in corporeal form. Somehow I had a feeling there was a catch with having full health. If I knew it worked like Dark Souls 3 I would have immediately killed myself. Lesson learned.

Ar¢tos

After finding the Sodden Ring tucked away in the corner of the Latria swamp, I finally got plat! 100% baby!

Wrv4CBI.jpg

Feels good man. My first ever PS5 plat. First ever Souls plat too. I had gotten 100% on Sekiro on PC, which was my first and only From plat until now.

Anyways I loved the ride! Highly recommend doing it all to dive into the world and character tendency stuff. The assassination mini quest was so dope and also I enjoyed the extra additions to the worlds, which I had no idea were a thing in this game for years and years.

Im thinking of diving into a 4K RPCS3 play of the original just for fun. I’ve beaten it several times on PS3 but want to revisit the original From release in 4k and see how the atmosphere compares.

Anyone done this? Gone back to the original after beating the remake? Could be a RTTP thread.

Oh and the only bug i found annoying was your world tendency does not update if you die in human form and respawn, no matter how many blue rocks you crack, you have to warp back to the nexus and then head back to see the world tendency update. This tripped me up. Note you need to die in human form 7 times to take from pure white to pure black.
You don't need to go to the Nexus to refresh tendency, just use the archstone to refresh the area (warp to the place where you are).
It's intencional. Character tendency updates instantly, world tendency needs an area refresh for the possility of multiple pure tendency events in the same area (like 5-2 Primeval demon and BP Selen, if it was instant when you killed one, the other would disappear).

SlimySnake

Yeah same, haven't played in a while and had no idea I could get invaded in corporeal form. Somehow I had a feeling there was a catch with having full health. If I knew it worked like Dark Souls 3 I would have immediately killed myself. Lesson learned.
Right. Im not even pissed that he killed me. He couldve easily walked up behind me while i was in the menus and backstabbed me, but he wanted to ruin my weapons and armor. What an asshole. lol

Warding is a great spell for melee

Second chance can't be beat for the price. To me it's better as you get a feel of the damage output of a particular boss/enemy move while still not dying from a harsh punish. With Warding you don't really feel the actual weight of the damage. Great either way for NG+ runs.

I met a very nice chap online who invaded and tried to push me off the rafts with fist punches at the archstone area of depraved chasm while I was away leaving the game on standby. Kinda funny how I reacted when I realized it (it's pretty dark in there). Dude kept trying when I regained the controller and I think fell to his death afterwards on an evasive roll as soon as I started to attack him. Could have back-stabbed and sliced me for a quick kill but had a sense of humor when he realized I was away.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think dark silver shield does blocks 100% of magic attacks.
it does, but you need to invest like 18 in strength for that to take effect and there is really no reason to do that for mage builds.

and besides, you have to block the attacks head on, and those idols gang up on you from all sides.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
it does, but you need to invest like 18 in strength for that to take effect and there is really no reason to do that for mage builds.

and besides, you have to block the attacks head on, and those idols gang up on you from all sides.
Best option is to use those pillars as shield and search which one does bigger Soul Arrow, that will be the real Fools Idol.

SlimySnake

Best option is to use those pillars as shield and search which one does bigger Soul Arrow, that will be the real Fools Idol.
oh trust me i was behind the pillars but she spawns four of them if you dont kill her in one hit. and they are all around you. no pillar is safe.

i never had any trouble with that fight because i could always kill her before she even spawned others. but for some reason on NG+, firestorm wouldnt kill her in one hit and left her with just enough health to spawn 3-4 other clones. it didnt help that i had all the mage rings and gear that increases magic damage taken, but even after removing all of those items, I still got ganged up on several times because every soul arrow shot staggers you leaving you open for the other four to kill you.

SlimySnake

I do mage builds but always take to 18 STR for that shield and 18 Faith for Second Chance and Talisman of Beasts.
yeah, on NG+, i took Faith all the way to 40 on my 50 magic build after realizing that talisman of beasts can out damage the Insanity Catalyst if you invest in both Intelligence and Faith above 40. But that came at the expense of strength and vitality which i agree did limit my options.

I used the Rune shield for the 4-2 laser attacks and it deflected like 95% of the attack. i only took chip damage so its still good for blocking head on attacks. i just wish there was a warding equivalent for magic attacks. there is water veil for negating fire attacks, warding for physical but nothing for magic?

johntown

Banned
I used the Rune shield for the 4-2 laser attacks and it deflected like 95% of the attack. i only took chip damage so its still good for blocking head on attacks.
Yeah that part is really hard for magic builds especially on NG+. I never really tried to Rune Shield but good to know if I ever don't want to level up STR.

SlimySnake

Faith is super underrated as a build. Moonlight Great Sword is nigh unstoppable
TBH, i didnt like the damage output. it maxes out at around 330 with 40 faith which is pretty bad for a greatsword. my blessed swords were doing the same damage.

moonlight is good for PvP against people hiding behind shields and those knights with shields but most enemies in worlds 2, 3, 4 and 5 dont have shields.

Yeah that part is really hard for magic builds especially on NG+. I never really tried to Rune Shield but good to know if I ever don't want to level up STR.

yeah, the rune sword also has magic damage and stacks with the shield so just equip it when running into those laser attacks to reduce the chip damage even more.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I started my Strength only build today after finishing my Mage NG+ run last night. Grinding greystone shards right now and want to play around with the Axe.

They said to get the dragonbane sword for the highest DPS, but that sword is huge and I dont even like greatswords that much. The Meatcleaver is good for a faith and Strength build but again, i just want to do a strength only build in NG+ and start putting in some points in Faith on NG+.

Any good STR only weapons? I want to stay away from the Greatswords since I already did my first run with the claymore, my second run with the Northern Regalia, and my Faith build with the Moonlight sword. Willing to give axes a shot but I want something fast and OP like the Uchigatana. that thing shreds.

I started my Strength only build today after finishing my Mage NG+ run last night. Grinding greystone shards right now and want to play around with the Axe.

They said to get the dragonbane sword for the highest DPS, but that sword is huge and I dont even like greatswords that much. The Meatcleaver is good for a faith and Strength build but again, i just want to do a strength only build in NG+ and start putting in some points in Faith on NG+.

Any good STR only weapons? I want to stay away from the Greatswords since I already did my first run with the claymore, my second run with the Northern Regalia, and my Faith build with the Moonlight sword. Willing to give axes a shot but I want something fast and OP like the Uchigatana. that thing shreds.
When I did a strength build I didn't like any of the weapons much either. Ended up making a crushing mirdan hammer. Decent range and fast enough but not really what I wanted setting out. Soon binned the entire build.

SlimySnake

When I did a strength build I didn't like any of the weapons much either. Ended up making a crushing mirdan hammer. Decent range and fast enough but not really what I wanted setting out. Soon binned the entire build.
oh that Meridian Hammer was bizarre. Very odd moveset. I think one of the faith starting classes give you that weapon and i couldnt stand running 1-1 with that.

Strength builds are lame because even at Crushing+3 and 30 STR, my Axe is doing less damage than the Crescent Falchion you pick up from 4-1.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I ended up just using cloak. You can get close enough to blast those laser dicks with 2 fire attacks before they get the laser off.

It took a lot of deaths in that area to figure that one out lol

SlimySnake

I ended up just using cloak. You can get close enough to blast those laser dicks with 2 fire attacks before they get the laser off.

It took a lot of deaths in that area to figure that one out lol
wait, cloaking works against ingame enemies? I thought that was only for PvP. They always detect me as soon as I get any close. Even with the thief ring.

oh that Meridian Hammer was bizarre. Very odd moveset. I think one of the faith starting classes give you that weapon and i couldnt stand running 1-1 with that.

Strength builds are lame because even at Crushing+3 and 30 STR, my Axe is doing less damage than the Crescent Falchion you pick up from 4-1.
Yeah the damage output is underwhelming for sure. Kinda fun smashing people around with a great axe but the thing is so slow and the game has no poise so you can get stun locked and killed too easily if you get the timing even slightly wrong.

Grinchy

Banned
wait, cloaking works against ingame enemies? I thought that was only for PvP. They always detect me as soon as I get any close. Even with the thief ring.
Oh man I never left home without Cloak once I started using it and realizing how much it could help in those kinds of situations. It was great for the awful ledge area before the laser dick cave on top of a lot of other areas too.

I'm only finding out from you now that it's also good for PvP lmao

SkylineRKR

Faith is super underrated as a build. Moonlight Great Sword is nigh unstoppable

I don't think its that great. It does under 300 damage on my build, 36 faith ish. It does ignore shields. In NG+ its weak. I use Regalia on PBCT for the moment. Problem is, everything one shots me now lol.

SlimySnake

Oh man I never left home without Cloak once I started using it and realizing how much it could help in those kinds of situations. It was great for the awful ledge area before the laser dick cave on top of a lot of other areas too.

I'm only finding out from you now that it's also good for PvP lmao
Does it work well against Mind Flayers? I have beaten the game like 6 times now and they still manage to kill me on every single run. I have developed PTSD from that hallway before the monk fight. The one before the maneater boss fight is also a pain.

SkylineRKR

Does it work well against Mind Flayers? I have beaten the game like 6 times now and they still manage to kill me on every single run. I have developed PTSD from that hallway before the monk fight. The one before the maneater boss fight is also a pain.

The monk flayers are a case of using some arrows. Their spells will only hit walls since its spiral. I never ran into issues there. The one before maneater sucks. But you can backstab him, just takes a while before he turns back.

Grinchy

Banned
haha I basically had routes through 3-1 where I'd always cloak up for those bastards

It does work well for them, but they can have moments where you start casting and they see you doing it and it can get hairy. But it still seemed to be the best method for a pure mage that I had found. I also liked cloak for some of the more hard to reach crystal lizards. They wouldn't start running away until you were like right on top of them.

it works but it's still safer to use a bow in that particular spot as there is always the chance of them getting a shot off before you kill them in black phantom form.

SlimySnake

I don't think its that great. It does under 300 damage on my build, 36 faith ish. It does ignore shields. In NG+ its weak. I use Regalia on PBCT for the moment. Problem is, everything one shots me now lol.
let me know if you find a better weapon on NG+. I need to do a NG+ run on my faith character. I think the Meat Cleaver has S scaling with both Strength and Faith so you can probably level up your Strength in NG+ and see if you can do a hybrid build.

SkylineRKR

let me know if you find a better weapon on NG+. I need to do a NG+ run on my faith character. I think the Meat Cleaver has S scaling with both Strength and Faith so you can probably level up your Strength in NG+ and see if you can do a hybrid build.

I have to beat that fuckface in 2-2 for that, and he stuns me after I block now. Its going to be tough. I was thinking of the meat cleaver, I also used it on PS3. I likely go STR anyway, I mostly end up there in any Souls lol. I love the DBS, Dozer Axe etc too much.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah in NG+, the Fool's Idol boss wasn't dying to firestorm and it was causing me to play turtled against the pillars and praying I didn't get one-shot. I had to fight her like 4 or 5 times.

But in NG++, she died in one firestorm. It's so strange how it all goes down between playthroughs. One thing that has been fun is now that I was able to grab the Friend's Ring, I've just been playing in human form more often because it doesn't matter anymore if a black phantom kills me. Watching them come up and die to my firestorm in one hit cracks me up every time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom