• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Looks Substantially Better on PlayStation 5 Pro; New Visual Feature Confirmed

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Some Gaffers when they see games running maxed out on a 4090 with path tracing at 4K against the PS5 at 1080p:

GIF by Tokkingheads

Same Gaffers when they see games running with better shadows on the Pro at 1440p against the PS5 at 1440p:

Hit The Woah Freaking Out GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

What about all the negative articles until now, you know, when people actually got access and can see the improvements?
Let's be honest, what are the odds that you see "substantial" improvements over shadows that were already pretty good to begin with? It's not like Demon's Souls Shadows looked pixelated or flickered or were blurry. They already looked fine, and now they will look better, but unless they do changes to the lighting, geometry, effects, or something more impactful, there's almost no chance it will look significantly better.

The Pro's objective is to take the 30fps mode and make it run at 60fps. There can be nice improvements if they put in the work like the guys did with F1 2024, but just improving shadows that were already fine? Yeah, hard to buy it.

Skifi28

Let's be honest, what are the odds that you see "substantial" improvements over shadows that were already pretty good to begin with? It's not like Demon's Souls Shadows looked pixelated or flickered or were blurry. They already looked fine, and now they will look better, but unless they do changes to the lighting, geometry, effects, or something more impactful, there's almost no chance it will look significantly better.

The Pro's objective is to take the 30fps mode and make it run at 60fps. There can be nice improvements if they put in the work like the guys did with F1 2024, but just improving shadows that were already fine? Yeah, hard to buy it.
I'd say that 1440p->4k is a big improvements in terms of image quality.

Gaiff

I'd say that 1440p->4k is a big improvements in terms of image quality.
That's an improvement to the frame rate, not the IQ. There is already a 4K mode, but it runs at 30fps. What you get is double the frame rate and better shadows. Will it make 4K look substantially better? Probably not. Will it run much better? Yes.

Skifi28

That's an improvement to the frame rate, not the IQ. There is already a 4K mode, but it runs at 30fps. What you get is double the frame rate and better shadows. Will it make 4K look substantially better? Probably not. Will it run much better? Yes.
Sure, there's a 4k mode, but for most people that only played the game at the 60fps mode it might as well not be there, so for them it's an image quality improvement (including me) as we will keep playing the game at the same framerate we already did. I'm not sure why we're arguing semantics here though. Surely we agree that 30fps should be a thing of the past and the whole point of the pro is good image quality at 60fps, at least in most games.

Gaiff

Sure, there's a 4k mode, but for most people that only played the game at the 60fps mode it might as well not be there, so for them it's an image quality improvement (including me) as we will keep playing the game at the same framerate we already did. I'm not sure why we're arguing semantics here though. Surely we agree that 30fps should be a thing of the past and the whole point of the pro is good image quality at 60fps, at least in most games.
I’m just taking the best looking mode vs best looking mode. Same way that if I compare console vs PC, it’s always the quality mode, never the performance mode.

Not sure if 30fps should be a thing of the past either. I personally don’t touch it, but still 25% of PS5 players do. That’s not insignificant. Would suck for them to lose it, but I wouldn’t mind.

kevboard

Why is it horrible? Its not a fast paced game

it barely looks better when not moving, looks worse in motion, and has more latency.

It's a mode that shouldn't even exist to be quite honest. at least not in the state it does exist. if it was a future proving thing with an option to unlock the framerate, then sure. but a 30fps lock with barely a visual benefit is just nonsense.

also, for the 60 seconds or so where I turned it on due to being curious, it felt like the camera motion cadence was kinda fucked. but not sure if it was just the typical shellshock you get when switching to 30fps when playing at 60 for a while.

Last edited:

Katatonic

James lets agree that this game didn't quite need the PS5 Pro enhancement. The game looked great in it's performance mode on base PS5 since day one. The added clarity isn't discernible on the Pro for this game and that's exactly what Digital Foundry is echoing in their analysis. It's nice to have but wasn't needed compared to the other games that are benefitting from the Pro upgrades.
Who cares if it was needed or not? It's there and we're glad it is.

Vick

Gold Member
When you need a tech experts website to tell you something looks "substantialy better", is because it doesn't looks substantialy better.
Eh, I would consider myself lucky to get something at 4K/60fps instantly recognizable as "substantially better" than this any earlier than PS6 Pro. lol

50644102042_5a178d88f5_o.png

Enn7Cj9XIAM5j8P

Enn7CVZXIAEkKUK

EneqAZRW4AIQKhR

Demon-s-Souls-20201118000213.jpg

EoL7QsxXIAI_zPa

Demons-Souls_20201123011119.png

37-A2-E54-B-751-C-4489-A801-51-AD1899-D84-B.jpg

EoBbsYDXIAMBrYh

50644120012_2cb4c1e8ec_o.png

Demons-Souls_20201116232304.png

Qfwz2TB.jpeg

Demon-s-Souls-20201117233936.jpg

DC77-D82-F-B902-406-C-83-D9-13681-FE46780.jpg

Hyperbole aside, not really sure what people expected PS5 Pro to be able to add to Demon's Souls visuals, other than bringing its 1440p/60fps to PSSR 4K.

Even further improving little things like contact shadows feels like an overkill to me.

PS fanboys need to learn how to use adverbs more appropriately.
OP simply copied the wccftech article title.

MiguelItUp

That's cool, but I was already incredibly happy with how it looked on the regular PS5. Game was still one of the best (if not THE best) games I've seen in a LONG time. Not going to get a Pro just to see an increase here and there.

Exaxtly...this is the big problem im seeing with the Pro. We're mostly seeing Performance modes getting enhanced with PSSR .....performance modes! What about Fidelity mode Sony, shouldn't that be the mode to get upgraded??!

For some reason I don't see gamers even hung up on this fact ...everyone just looks "on the bright side" and ASSUMES that we'll get Fidelity modes at 60 fps which is by and large not the case ...

If I've been already playing Last of Us 2 at 40 fps in Fidelity mode, why should I be excited about playing it with PSSR in performance mode?? Make it make sense guys

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's a shame that Sony refuse to deal with Digital Foundry, it would be interesting to get their take on this.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Why is DF sucking Hermans dick so much? Wow amazing you can replay the game for the millionth time but with a bit better graphics.
Isn't that one of the main points of PC gaming as well? Just bought a better card for a few dollars more, now I can move shadows from high to ultra when high was already fine. That seems to be accepted on pc but if a console does it : Waste of time, just be happy with medium shadows.

Three

This doesn't make sense in terms of what you were comparing though:
Same Gaffers when they see games running with better shadows on the Pro at 1440p against the PS5 at 1440p:

Hit The Woah Freaking Out GIF
The improvement would be: better Shadows on Pro at 4k against the PS5 at 1440p (the performance mode resolution).

Last edited:

Three

I was taking the piss. This was also a dig at those pretending that 4K is only "slightly" sharper than 1080p.
Well I can see you were taking the piss but why were you saying the pro mode is 1440p like the standard PS5 in that comparison? Then when somebody came and said it's a 1440p to 4k improvement you said it's only a fps improvement because there is a 4k 30fps mode on standard PS5. It doesn't make any sense really. The PS5 standard 1440p performance mode is now 4k performance mode with better shadows. Not 1440p vs 1440p.

Gaiff

Well I can see you were taking the piss but why were you saying the pro mode is 1440p like the standard PS5 in that comparison? Then when somebody came and said it's a 1440p to 4k improvement you said it's only a fps improvement because there is a 4k 30fps mode on standard PS5. It doesn't make any sense really. The PS5 standard 1440p performance mode is now 4k performance mode with better shadows. Not 1440p vs 1440p.
1. People were saying in the past that going from 1080p to 4K was just a "slightly sharper" image when it comes to PC. I pretend that 1440p upscaled to 4K using PSSR is just 1440p because if 1080p>4K is only a bit sharper, then 1440p>4K PSSR is basically the same image quality.

2. 4K isn't new, so in that sense, the game doesn't really get an IQ improvement (it should due to PSSR anyway, but for argument's sake, let's assume both 4K modes look the same). The point I'm making is that unlike the new shadows which aren't available at all in the PS5 game, 4K is already available, so in that aspect, the game doesn't look any better than what we've already seen in terms of IQ. That's why I said it's an fps improvement because we've already seen 4K and it doesn't improve upon that whether you use it or not.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Original Performance (1440p60) and Cinematic (2160p30) modes still options
I find it funny that one of the marketing points from the PS5 announcement was being able to remove the decision surrounding graphics modes, yet every game seems to actually be adding more graphics modes to the list.

Shin-Ra

The PS3 female/male gender option’s named Body Type A/Body Type B.

They also recorded new, seperate male and female player mocap whereas the original only had one animation set for male and female.

Three

1. People were saying in the past that going from 1080p to 4K was just a "slightly sharper" image when it comes to PC. I pretend that 1440p upscaled to 4K using PSSR is just 1440p because if 1080p>4K is only a bit sharper, then 1440p>4K PSSR is basically the same image quality.
Yes I get you were "taking the piss" by using upscaled res for PC (pathtraced 4k native? Not a chance) and native for PS5 or whatever the hell was going on there but it's just bizarre to reply to somebody who was saying the bigger difference is going from 1440p to 4k on Pro by saying there is a 30fps 4k mode on standard PS5. You were comparing to the 60fps 1440p mode on standard PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom