• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Anyone on NG+2? How hard is it?

I only need it for the plat but NG+ is a pain on what I thought would be a cakewalk. I'm doing it for the plat no two ways about it...

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I forgot to mention I had a bug too. Complete crash of the game. First time it's happened. Could be os or the game, not sure
Anyone on NG+2? How hard is it?

I only need it for the plat but NG+ is a pain on what I thought would be a cakewalk. I'm doing it for the plat no two ways about it...
I think the recent patch has adjusted the difference between NG and NG+ to be the proper 30% increase in difficulty. It was apparently more like 300% prior! Yikes! I THOUGHT it felt like a VERY steep ramp!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the recent patch has adjusted the difference between NG and NG+ to be the proper 30% increase in difficulty. It was apparently more like 300% prior! Yikes! I THOUGHT it felt like a VERY steep ramp!
Lol that explains a lot.

I have actually only beaten NG+ once. with my Northern Regalia, but I had to invest 50 in vitality to basically be able to take more than a couple of hits.

On my royalty NG+ run i am routinely one shotted by knights and if I wasn't one shotting everyone with my mage attacks, I think the game wouldve been far more difficult. warding is pretty much essential in NG+. Even second chance doesnt help because some spear attack combos just eat up the extra health you get from it.

That said, i still had fun with both my NG+ runs.

I think at this point that I just find the 4-3 boss annoying. I'm on my "I get one-shot by anything sneezing in my direction" mage character in NG+ and this dumb boss always hits me with one single projectile no matter how many times I stand in the proper safe spot. And it's always when it's on the last hit or 2. It's just such a long and annoying slog of a "boss fight" when you've already done it a dozen times.

What the other guy said. If you hide behind the ruined building, nothing can hit you and you can easily get 3 hits in as he passes over you. on NG, i was doing like 340 damage per hit compared to the 120 damage you do with the storm ruler. You can also get 3 soul arrows hits in one go unlike the storm ruler. so 2 passes max. its a very fun fight for mages actually because you can take out all the smaller ones with your soul ray as well.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
lol yeah I took my mage in with pure black character tendency and the guys on 1-1 were hitting me for like 60% of my health all of a sudden

SlimySnake

made it to the Flamelurker boss with my low level strength build character. damn, strength build is hard mode!
Get the water veil spell from the mage in Nexus, the flame resistance ring and the flame shield from dragon cliff and you wont have any issues with Flamelurker.

But yes, I dont really like Strength builds because you pretty much HAVE to invest in Endurance and Vitality just as much as Strength. Which means you get OP far later in the game compared to dex, faith and magic builds which only need points in one or two attributes.

Then there is the stamina regen penalty you get for equipping heavy armor which really limits your hitting potential with big strength based weapons even if you have high endurance.

I find that the Dex builds are the best. You can easily get by with just 20 endurance, and you get a great range weapon since bows typically scale with Dex. I didnt even need Second Chance for my dex build. Warding just lets you tank most attacks and you can easily do a 3 hit combo even with only half of your small endurance bar.

lol yeah I took my mage in with pure black character tendency and the guys on 1-1 were hitting me for like 60% of my health all of a sudden
i was farming colorless demon souls in world 3 and brought it down to black to get the primedevil to appear, then totally forgot about it and beat the final boss to trigger NG+. Now mind flayers and the 3-1 boss are pretty much one shotting me lol. to make matters worse, i forgot to pick up the ring of magical dullness in my NG run so I am fucked. i will probably just unequip the kris blade, ring of magical sharpness and the old monk hat to see if i can tank some hits. Really wish there was a spell to negate magic damage.

Last edited:
i was farming colorless demon souls in world 3 and brought it down to black to get the primedevil to appear, then totally forgot about it and beat the final boss to trigger NG+. Now mind flayers and the 3-1 boss are pretty much one shotting me lol. to make matters worse, i forgot to pick up the ring of magical dullness in my NG run so I am fucked. i will probably just unequip the kris blade, ring of magical sharpness and the old monk hat to see if i can tank some hits. Really wish there was a spell to negate magic damage.
You could kill the black phantom rydell for a 3 level world shift. He is easy to cheese with thief ring etc and that other ring you missed is very near the start of 5-1 so go fetch it!

Edit. Also with rydell if you lead him onto the stairs and get him above you all he seems to do is hit the wall so you can cheese him that way too.

Last edited:
Lol that explains a lot.

I have actually only beaten NG+ once. with my Northern Regalia, but I had to invest 50 in vitality to basically be able to take more than a couple of hits.

On my royalty NG+ run i am routinely one shotted by knights and if I wasn't one shotting everyone with my mage attacks, I think the game wouldve been far more difficult. warding is pretty much essential in NG+. Even second chance doesnt help because some spear attack combos just eat up the extra health you get from it.

That said, i still had fun with both my NG+ runs.

What the other guy said. If you hide behind the ruined building, nothing can hit you and you can easily get 3 hits in as he passes over you. on NG, i was doing like 340 damage per hit compared to the 120 damage you do with the storm ruler. You can also get 3 soul arrows hits in one go unlike the storm ruler. so 2 passes max. its a very fun fight for mages actually because you can take out all the smaller ones with your soul ray as well.

Heh we basically reached the same conclusion... pure black (or semi pure black) tendency with Nothern Regalia. Black Skeletons wrecked me sooooo bad - lunging attack b4 adjudicator boss (120k souls lost). Mind you I was super tired not thinking properly (evacuate and spend the souls). That's about the time you have to hang the controller and play the following day.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You could kill the black phantom rydell for a 3 level world shift. He is easy to cheese with thief ring etc and that other ring you missed is very near the start of 5-1 so go fetch it!
Oh right! i totally forgot that ring was in 5-1. I thought it was in 3-2 under the heart for some reason. thanks!

I will look up where that black phantom is. I never ran into him when i was clearing 3-1.

EDIT: Its because im not pure black, so i need to die once more in human form and he should appear. thanks.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Heh we basically reached the same conclusion... pure black (or semi pure black) tendency with Nothern Regalia. Black Skeletons wrecked me sooooo bad - lunging attack b4 adjudicator boss (120k souls lost).
i had to farm the black skeleton for bladestones in black world tendency in early game and that was nightmarish. took me well over an hour because he refused to drop chunks. had three pure bladestones before i finally had enough chunks. so many deaths until i realized i could kill him easily by using fireballs.

that lunging attack is very easy to avoid but when you are fighting him dozens of times, it only takes one wrong move for him to go through your shields, take out all of your stamina and then your health in one hit. its by far the most OP move in the game. I wish we had those style art moves from Dark Souls 3 and this was one of the most you could learn.

TBH, the more i think about this remake, the more I hate how faithful it is to the original game. There are so many great things Dark Souls and even bloodborne added that wouldve made this game the ultimate souls game. Estus flasks, boss shortcuts, 4 ring slots, NG+ bonfires, NG+ rings in different locations, style arts or whatever those L1+R1 moves were called.

Though its shocking how good it despite being 11 years old. I guess it a true classic in that sense. Timeless.

BGs

Industry Professional
I imagine that by now you all know that DS: R can be played with custom filters. Changing not only the color but also the dirt of the camera, glow, hue, exposure, light scattering, etc ...

For those who do not know how to do it, when you are in photo mode, you can change all the options and save up to 4 custom filters that you can use in the game if you activate the corresponding option.

For those who already knew (surely 99.9% of you), what is your preferred configuration?

I was trying to make a filter that was as realistic as possible, and I was close to it, but I can't quite manage to maintain a realistic camera simulation without the sky burning (although it makes all the sense), I still try to find a realistic balance at the same time as cinematographic.

Anyone interested in sharing their custom filter settings?

I'll try to put mine when I hit the right key.

Cheers

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Well crap, I was fighting executioner Miranda and she killed herself... I can't get the ring from the monumental now...
You still can!

You need pure white character tendency to get the ring. There is more than one way to obtain pure white tendency.

Last edited:
Has anyone messed around with Fractured mode? That's about the only thing I have left to try, but it seems kind of pointless, if all it does is mirror the game.

Vidraino

Neo Member
So, Bluepoint kinda ruined multi-player with this last update. They added way too many servers and now the player base is spread super thin. Went from being able to invade consistently to not getting any at all...

Rolla

Banned
I need a little advice on magic use. I bought these 3 miracles/spells but can't attune 2 of the three and can't use the soul arrow.

W7wqEkV.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Paulxo87

I need a little advice on magic use. I bought these 3 miracles/spells but can't attune 2 of the three and can't use the soul arrow.

W7wqEkV.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

How many memory slots do you have?

There are miracle memory slots(blue) and spell ones(red)

Rolla

Banned
How many memory slots do you have?

There are miracle memory slots(blue) and spell ones(red)

Memory slots?

I haven't actively sought them out because I didn't know I needed them. I've seen how many options Magic users gain via using that build and figured I needed to rescue the prisoner. I saved up, purchased a few and now I have the sneaky suspicion that I wont be able to use the damn things lol

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Intelligence is what you gives magic memory slots. more INT = more slots. if you have 14 INT you can hold 2 spells (or a spell that takes 2 slots).

You can gain up to 6 magic slots and 4 faith slots. For Intelligence, you gain 1 magic slot at 10 points, then 14, then 18, then 24, then 30 and finally at 40. For Faith, you gain one miracle slot at 10, then 16, then 24 and finally at 36.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

Memory slots?

I haven't actively sought them out because I didn't know I needed them. I've seen how many options Magic users gain via using that build and figured I needed to rescue the prisoner. I saved up, purchased a few and now I have the sneaky suspicion that I wont be able to use the damn things lol

The guy above Phonepunk summed it up correctly.

You need more memory slots to carry more than one spell at at a time. I suspect you have only one. Some of the more advanced spells can use 2 slots.

I would google a wiki guide for the most in depth info so you can plan accordingly.

McHuj

The mephistopheles quest is epic trolling by From.

It was the last thing I did and as a primarily melee character, it didn't matter. But if you have a faith build or are a magician you're fucked with no being able to attune spells anymore. Unless there's some secret way, that I don't know about.

Rolla

Banned
Intelligence is what you gives magic memory slots. more INT = more slots. if you have 14 INT you can hold 2 spells (or a spell that takes 2 slots).

You can gain up to 6 magic slots and 4 faith slots. For Intelligence, you gain 1 magic slot at 10 points, then 14, then 18, then 24, then 30 and finally at 40. For Faith, you gain one miracle slot at 10, then 16, then 24 and finally at 36.

Vital info.

One final question on this, I've gone a mini spree so to speak and need to clarify the difference between magic and miracles. Is magic identified by the red sphere and Miracles blue?

W7wqEkV.jpg

Again, excuse my ignorance.

Still having a blast with this game. Bluepoint did an incredible job with this remake.

Paulxo87

Vital info.

One final question on this, I've gone a mini spree so to speak and need to clarify the difference between magic and miracles. Is magic identified by the red sphere and Miracles blue?

W7wqEkV.jpg

Again, excuse my ignorance.

Still having a blast with this game. Bluepoint did an incredible job with this remake.

yes red spells blue miracles. And the number 1 on the far right is how many memory slots the spells take up. You have no advanced spells yet so you don't have any that take up 2. But that's where the numbers will be

SkylineRKR

So it wasn't me. I got one shot by everything in NG+. Beat 2 bosses so far but its been extremely tough. I thought my build was shit, or I was shit. Even God's Wrath only did like 100 on lizards, had to cast it 3 times.

SkylineRKR

i had to farm the black skeleton for bladestones in black world tendency in early game and that was nightmarish. took me well over an hour because he refused to drop chunks. had three pure bladestones before i finally had enough chunks. so many deaths until i realized i could kill him easily by using fireballs.

that lunging attack is very easy to avoid but when you are fighting him dozens of times, it only takes one wrong move for him to go through your shields, take out all of your stamina and then your health in one hit. its by far the most OP move in the game. I wish we had those style art moves from Dark Souls 3 and this was one of the most you could learn.

TBH, the more i think about this remake, the more I hate how faithful it is to the original game. There are so many great things Dark Souls and even bloodborne added that wouldve made this game the ultimate souls game. Estus flasks, boss shortcuts, 4 ring slots, NG+ bonfires, NG+ rings in different locations, style arts or whatever those L1+R1 moves were called.

Though its shocking how good it despite being 11 years old. I guess it a true classic in that sense. Timeless.

I do miss the Estus, I don't like farming heals. And you can only do it in specific stages as well. I believe 3 (and shaman from 5) drop Spice and heals, World 1 only heals. 2 ring slots feels very restrictive as well, since you're likely using up one to Cling Ring. Unless you're human, which means you can accidentally shift the tendency or be invaded when online. The game punishes you for dying this way, as black tendency is much harder. Its weird when you think about it.

Boss shortcuts wouldn't be bad either. There are some, like 1-1, but the run to flamelurker sucks ass despite not having to battle. I would rather enable an elevator at the end of the difficult part of the stage that brings me right there. 5-1 could also use a shortcut, and 4-2 lol. But luckily those bosses are jokes.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so yeah, magic is OP, reminder #1,000,000. been working through a new game with my Knight pure STR build. decided to also put a point into MAGIC to bring it to 11 and now i have soul arrow and fire and already it is kicking ass. soul arrow takes out rolling skeletons in 3 shots. right away the fire projectile is perfect for the big demon in 4-1.

here are images from that. still tripping out that this is gameplay imagery. it looks so good!

7WIoGv2.jpg

EPTXqSL.jpg

Ar¢tos

I do miss the Estus, I don't like farming heals. And you can only do it in specific stages as well. I believe 3 (and shaman from 5) drop Spice and heals, World 1 only heals. 2 ring slots feels very restrictive as well, since you're likely using up one to Cling Ring. Unless you're human, which means you can accidentally shift the tendency or be invaded when online. The game punishes you for dying this way, as black tendency is much harder. Its weird when you think about it.

Boss shortcuts wouldn't be bad either. There are some, like 1-1, but the run to flamelurker sucks ass despite not having to battle. I would rather enable an elevator at the end of the difficult part of the stage that brings me right there. 5-1 could also use a shortcut, and 4-2 lol. But luckily those bosses are jokes.
Cling Ring is a crutch. Send it to storage and forget it exists. You will become a better player and you will "gain" a ring slot.

SkylineRKR

Cling Ring is a crutch. Send it to storage and forget it exists. You will become a better player and you will "gain" a ring slot.

I have very low VIT, and PBCT. But I still use it less and less because I tend to run with sincere prayer and regeneration ring or something situational. I don't use thiefs either, in fact I hardly ever used it during fresh run.

Everyone always said magic is OP, but I've found bow and arrow even more OP.

I went with Winged Spear, Purple Flame Shield and bow/arrow and found the game to be almost too easy.

Honestly, I'm having more difficulty platinuming Sackboy than I did getting the platinum for Demon's Souls.

To be fair, I've played a lot of Soulsborne, including platinuming the original when it first released on PS3. Still, this particular version of Demon's Souls is the easiest I've found any Souls game, by quite a bit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

4-2 boss is a joke but that guy has killed me so many times by accident. He just randomly turns around and i happen to be right in his line of fire. every single time. i am on my 6th run and i have yet to beat him on my first try.

and yeah, I bitched about the cling ring and ring of great strength the other day. you basically have to have both if you are a melee build leaving you zero room for experimenting. dark souls 3 got rid of that half health nonsense altogether i think.

the biggest issue i have is that the game's graphics take a big hit with you in soul form. it completley ruins the image quality having a white glowy character running around in this gorgeously detailed next gen environment. i actually played my Mage run offline so i could see my character in her full human form. The cloth and armor work in this game is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I hadn't bothered looking at the trophies yet, but I just did and realized it's not the same as the PS3 version. I remember the PS3 trophy for collecting every weapon being kind of a bitch for a single character slot and it turns out that's not in this version.

This version also doesn't have trophies for maxing out every weapon type through upgrades. I thought it was weird when I got my sharp weapon to max level, and then on my mage character I had taken the Kris Blade to +5, and never saw a trophy pop. Now I know why! In some ways I kinda wish they had kept the trophy list the same.

Nakasan

Yes! Completed it!! As much as I'd term completed anyway! No NG or anything.

36 hours in total for me (no idea if that's slow or not... But I'm guessing it is!) and an extremely satisfying game. The sound track is soooooo good. Graphics, amazing.

All in all, I can see what the fuss is about re: soulsbourne games now.

MDSLKTR

Is anyone else getting those strange random sounds that sometimes can scare the f out of you?
I tought it was limited to the nexus (like the supposed mgs tease) but I had one in the mines, 2nd time in 100h of play.

Nakasan

Is anyone else getting those strange random sounds that sometimes can scare the f out of you?
I tought it was limited to the nexus (like the supposed mgs tease) but I had one in the mines, 2nd time in 100h of play.

Yeah, I got 3 or 4. Playing with headphones on and already crazy tense, they were not welcome!

I've seen somewhere blue point say it's a bug and not a random mystery to solve

Is worth to play online?
I’m in my second run, offline again
Not really. Coop is largely dead thanks to world tendency and the forced invasion to the old monk bossfight for people wanting to help out anywhere in world 3. You also dont get the troll messages placed over tricky item pickups on ledges etc offline. So unless you are really into being a dick and invading people offline is better.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Anoneone willing to help me get to pure white tendency in Boletaria and Stonefang Tunnel?
(invading with password and letting me kill them)

I would also gratefully accept any donation of ceramic coins via the crow trick.

Like what?

Last edited:
Today was a good day. I killed Storm King, Penetrator, Dirty Colossus and Garl Vinland.
My strength build is pretty strong now.

It sucks that it seems I can't get Pure White on Boletaria and Shadowmen.
Well there's always new game +
Are there any spells you guys recommend for strenght build?

This game has really grabbed me by the balls. I even might want to try platinum.

Top Bottom