• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Looks Substantially Better on PlayStation 5 Pro; New Visual Feature Confirmed

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes I get you were "taking the piss" by using upscaled res for PC (pathtraced 4k native? Not a chance) and native for PS5 or whatever the hell was going on there but it's just bizarre to reply to somebody who was saying the bigger difference is going from 1440p to 4k on Pro by saying there is a 30fps 4k mode on standard PS5. You were comparing to the 60fps 1440p mode on standard PS5.
Well, it’s the same thing either way. If you were playing the 30fps mode, you get a frame rate improvement. If you were playing the 60fps mode, you get an IQ improvement. I just prefer comparing the best visuals vs best visuals, but as he replied, it’s semantics and changes depending on where the starting point is.

Three

Well, it’s the same thing either way. If you were playing the 30fps mode, you get a frame rate improvement. If you were playing the 60fps mode, you get an IQ improvement. I just prefer comparing the best visuals vs best visuals, but as he replied, it’s semantics and changes depending on where the starting point is.
The point was that you did not do this at all. Your starting point was the 1440p performance mode on base PS5 hence why somebody mentioned the 1440p>4k IQ jump on Pro.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The point was that you did not do this at all. Your starting point was the 1440p performance mode on base PS5.
You’re really fishing for that gotcha moment and still completely fail to grasp something very simple. Carry on then if all you’re interested in is arguing.

Three

You’re really fishing for that gotcha moment and still completely fail to grasp something very simple. Carry on then if all you’re interested in is arguing.
Nobody is fishing for a gotcha. It's just bizarre that your starting point was the 1440p performance mode on base PS5 and comparing to a nonexistent 1440p PS5 Pro mode. somebody replied to that mentioning the difference is the IQ jump from 1440p>4k, then you say that there is a 4k mode at half framerate already. If that conversation makes sense to you in your head then by all means carry on.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nobody is fishing for a gotcha. It's just bizarre that your starting point was the 1440p performance mode on base PS5 and comparing to a nonexistent 1440p PS5 Pro mode.
This wasn't my starting point. This was me being facetious and exaggerating. Hence why I said 4K with path tracing on a 4090. You need to drop down to 1080p for this to be viable. That's why I reduced the PS5 Pro's resolution to a mere 1440p when I damn well know it's 1440p upscaled to 4K using PSSR, which gives an image quality ostensibly comparable to native 4K.
somebody replied to that mentioning the difference is the IQ jump from 1440p>4k, then you say that there is a 4k mode at half framerate already. If that conversation makes sense to you in your head then by all means carry on.
Yes, because then I actually replied seriously and argued that "substantially better" would mean improvements that we haven't seen at all in the base PS5, just like with F1 2024. The IQ is an improvement over the performance mode but is not an improvement over the 30fps mode. The shadows, however, are a net improvement because we never had them in the base PS5 at all. I then clarified that it was indeed semantics because technically, even the 60fps mode isn't an improvement because we also have it on the regular PS5. However, I tend to compare best visuals vs best visuals, which is why I said it's a frame rate improvement. My starting point was always the quality mode.

Last edited:

DinoD

Season 10 Wtf GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I also got it at launch but sucked so hard at it. Couldn't pass the first mini boss :D. Eventually gave up in a total misery of frustration.

• LOL
Reactions: XXL
Doesn't solve the artstyle issue. It felt completely off playing this. Yeah the graphics were better but somethings felt generic compared to the original. The music and atmosphere was gone. I owned demons souls on ps3 before it came to the states. I had the Hong Kong import then a few months later atlus ported the game. So I bought it again, came with the guide and box was awesome. I remember Xbox fanboys making fun of it in the previews at tgs and then it came out getting amazing scores. All the sudden it was a hit and people wanted it.

That being said it was one of my favs until dark souls. This felt lacking. I doubt some fps boost is going to change that. It will let fidelity mode be playable though, for people who coughed up the insane cash for a pro.

Last edited:
No doubt this already beautiful game is gonna be a showcase piece on pro, ofcourse some haters already lol hopefully none that spent 2000 on a gpu to get 400x zoom upgrades 🤭

Wow! Better shadows!! Amazing!

Remember when system upgrades were “that two dimensional game is now in three dimensions.”

Diminishing returns indeed.
Closest similar jump you got was VR and that came and went without that much noise.

If you are expecting a new generation to have characters jump off the screen, or smell-o-vision, or some gimmick to sell you on a new console, you might be waiting on a lifetime.

Who cares if it was needed or not? It's there and we're glad it is.

Every single Playstation exclusive should be getting patched for the Pro! It's shocking that there are gamers out here that have to ask "why" a certain game is getting patched.

It's like, are you f'ing kidding me?! This is Sony's new $800 console they had better be updating the shit out of their games!

Console gamers are forever screwed with the "la di da" attitude of fellow console gamers man...if anyone ever wonders why devs get away with doing so little sometimes, look no further than the console audience ...

I find it funny that one of the marketing points from the PS5 announcement was being able to remove the decision surrounding graphics modes, yet every game seems to actually be adding more graphics modes to the list.

Not only that but the Pro was supposed to finally provide Fidelity mode quality of visuals at 60 fps ...don't believe that? Mark Cerny himself during Ps5 pro reveal said that we'll get more detail than ever before in Last of Us 2 ...more detail means better than Fidelity mode visuals since Fidelity mode has the de facto "most detail" so it stands to reason it would be Fidelity mode that gets upscaled....so why did it turn out to be Performance mode that gets used as the basis for the PS5 Pro mode??

Anyone else see the problem here? This is a cross gen game. Makes no sense that ps5 pro can't take Fidelity mode >60 fps using PSSR for a cross gen game like this ...

This is what I would call a red flag. Not having news regarding Pro patches for many other games like Cyberpunk, Black Myth, Dying Light 2, FF16 etc is another red flag.

I have a Pro pre-ordered but some of what we're seeing doesn't exactly bode well for what this $800 system is actually going to provide.

Yamato

Neo Member
Don't want to come off as overly pessimistic, but does anybody realize what's going on here? Instead of talking about new games, or real new features, people are talking about a small update to shadows in a remake of a game from 2009. Nobody would've discussed insignificant crap like this in the PS2 or PS3 era, because playing the plethora of games they had on their systems was a much better use of their time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Don't want to come off as overly pessimistic, but does anybody realize what's going on here? Instead of talking about new games, or real new features, people are talking about a small update to shadows in a remake of a game from 2009. Nobody would've discussed insignificant crap like this in the PS2 or PS3 era, because playing the plethora of games they had on their systems was a much better use of their time.
Gaming is better nowadays. So this is good.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
substantial
/səbˈstanʃl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of considerable importance, size, or worth.
    "a substantial amount of cash"

Wow! Better shadows!! Amazing!

Remember when system upgrades were “that two dimensional game is now in three dimensions.”

Diminishing returns indeed.
Welcome to the ray-tracing era of graphics, I imagine the PS6 era discourse would be reduced to something like "sHaDow nOt bEeINg cAst pRopErlY" or some other crap that you'd never notice in a game till it's pointed out to you, and even then you'll have a hard time.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm very unlikely to bug a ps5 pro but I own demon's souls and play it at least once per year. I'll likely buy a ps6 so this update will at least be available on that new console.

Hopefully one day a pc port will happen as it will look even better.

Gonzito

Gold Member
When people complain about Unreal Engine 4 I always use this game as an example that the engine is not the issue. The skill of the developer is the main culprit, always.

King Dazzar

I can immediately tell the difference currently between its performance and quality modes on base PS5. Can someone clarify (no pun intended), if this new Pro mode now matches the original quality mode but at 60fps? If so then for me it is a substantial improvement.

XXL

I can immediately tell the difference currently between its performance and quality modes on base PS5. Can someone clarify (no pun intended), if this new Pro mode now matches the original quality mode but at 60fps? If so then for me it is a substantial improvement.
Yes.

Exactly that, with improved shadow detail.

Top Bottom