• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

SUBZERO-08 said:
I would probably upgrade a Kris Blade to +5, and try to get a Monk's Head Wrappings.

i'll do it!

now i'm in world 4-1, with 13,000 souls and im at a fog area with the warning "beware of the cute foe ahead". fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. i could warp back to the nexus free of charge but...

edit -

i went in and it was a boss, the adjudactor.... who i didn't even see what the fuck it was before i was dead! hopefully i can make it back there without dying -_-

Eccocid

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'll do it!

now i'm in world 4-1, with 13,000 souls and im at a fog area with the warning "beware of the cute foe ahead". fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. i could warp back to the nexus free of charge but...

edit -

i went in and it was a boss, the adjudactor.... who i didn't even see what the fuck it was before i was dead! hopefully i can make it back there without dying -_-

You died at 4-1 boss? It's like one of the easiest boss battles!

Shoutouts to meeting random guy who recognizes your GAF name and puts you on blast for not knowing about "BP without armor = helper BP". Dude, I din't even notice you're not wearing armor! =p Thought he was trolling me hard for running away all the time and killing enemies.

Eccocid said:
You died at 4-1 boss? It's like one of the easiest boss battles!

i walked through the fog and was looking around for a second and then a tentacle or something hit me from below, i get up to heal myself and before the animation can happen i get hit with the tentacle again and i'm dead :(

so then on my way back im in soul mode so i equip the ring that lessens the HP lost (and take off the sharp magic ring). i'm headed back when i get to that black skeleton with double swords. i fire off 2 magic arrows at him and i'm around to take him out with the 3rd when i press the button and nothing happens. oh, my magic is depleted. by the time i start to run away i am already dead! if i had kept my sharp magic ring on he would've died in the 2 blasts i got him with -_-

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i walked through the fog and was looking around for a second and then a tentacle or something hit me from below, i get up to heal myself and before the animation can happen i get hit with the tentacle again and i'm dead :(

so then on my way back im in soul mode so i equip the ring that lessens the HP lost (and take off the sharp magic ring). i'm headed back when i get to that black skeleton with double swords. i fire off 2 magic arrows at him and i'm around to take him out with the 3rd when i press the button and nothing happens. oh, my magic is depleted. by the time i start to run away i am already dead! if i had kept my sharp magic ring on he would've died in the 2 blasts i got him with -_-

yeah same happened to me my first time. just couldn't figure out what was killing me then that tentacle would gouge me. finally i just dived in the hole after the first flight of stairs and found out he was one of the easier bosses.

you just have to run in and jump down without dying and you'll be fine

haha my first time too at 4-1 boss. No way did I want to go down there. Then again, there was nothing I could really from the top at the time.

I popped this game back in yesterday and got attacked by my first black phantom. Thankfully there were two allies I could summon nearby. It was freaking tense. I wouldn't have been able to kill him myself. I did get the finishing blow with a backstab. Felt awesome.

oracrest

Popped my game back in to help out other players with my level 1, and realized I hadn't yet defeated Phalanx in NG+

Finally got the gate open, and have given him a few goes, but it's definitely a tough battle. two hits kills me, and I am fresh out of flame stuff, heh.

It's nice to have the first level feel like the last :)

Ok so I just got fried by the dragon in the first stage at the 2nd part of the bridge, Im just wondering how do you go online. I got the 2 gems that you use for going online and im currently in soul form. So how can I get help or go into another persons game ?

McKeeverFever said:
Ok so I just got fried by the dragon in the first stage at the 2nd part of the bridge, Im just wondering how do you go online. I got the 2 gems that you use for going online and im currently in soul form. So how can I get help or go into another persons game ?

The game connects automatically to the servers everytime you load a game (if you aren't connected to PSN it will ask you to do so), so if you can see people messages on the floor or see random ghost (other people playing in their own games) you're online, so you just have to use the right stone and people could help you.

McKeeverFever said:

If your in soul form you use the stone Blue to help Red to invade, someone in body form will see the blue sign and have you join them. if you use red it will look for a game to connect you to for pvp.

patsu

MidnightRider said:
I just got the Dragon Bone Smasher. Is that a good thing? Haha I saw someone say they were happy the finally got it.

If you have the strength to wield it, it's a good find.

One of its best features is the sword slices from top to bottom. So you can swing it even in a narrow corridor, tunnel, or by the cliff.

Other swords like the more powerful Northern Regalia (sp?) swing wide from left to right, so you may not be able to use them in those situations.

I <3 to strike the skeleton warriors with the DBS. If you do it right, you can plant the skeleton's face into the ground with just one hit... kinda like a cartoon character getting smashed by a falling anvil.

EDIT: It's also safer to use the DBS beside a NPC. I fought the 1-3 boss together with one of the NPCs using the Northern Regalia. I killed the boss and hurt the NPC because of the very wide swing. He never forgive me since then. He would always come after my a** every time I pass by that corridor. 8^P

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the 2-3 archdemon has to be the easiest boss in the game. most disappointing boss fight since the killer crock fight in arkham asylum!

Yeah that's where I got the sword I just posted about. Got it right after the fight.

If you call that a fight..... haha

I liked that fight. 2-2 was fucking tough, for me at least, so to have an encounter which was a bit more laid back and just a spectacle was nice. Lord knows this game has enough bosses that kick your ass!

sublimit

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I liked that fight. 2-2 was fucking tough, for me at least, so to have an encounter which was a bit more laid back and just a spectacle was nice. Lord knows this game has enough bosses that kick your ass!

If it makes you feel better Flamelurker was one of the toughest bosses for many people,not only you.:)
In general the bosses in Demon's Souls are a bit easier than the levels IMO with some exceptions.Many can be beaten easily by a powerful bow from a distance but it feels very cheap so i would recommend to try fight them normally at first.
Hmm i must admit that the bosses that i killed with a cheap method (Poison cloud or bow) was Old King Doran (and i felt bad for doing so since he initially wasn't hostile),Old Hero (because i couldn't risk going through the hell that was the 4-2 level again),and Maiden Astrea which made me hate myself first for killing her and secondly for doing so like a coward using my bow from a distance.:/

Mana Sin

Hm, for some reason Ostrava won't appear for me in 1-3. As far as I know, he has yet to die, so is this a glitch? It would be pretty damn annoying if the idiot died without my knowledge. I want his key.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf i didn't get that sword. where is it?

It was to the left of the main walkway when you first came into the room...

You know how you ran right to go to the first gun/cannon/arrow shooter (i can't spell that B word).... well you go left instead

QUESTIONS START HERE

1.) When I first started playing the game... a false message told me to kick a guy in the nexus... i didn't know it was going to start a fight that i would have to end up killing the dude to make it stop.

Well... he was over next to the miracle guy. I see messages there all the time... about don't kick this guy or kick this guy. Who was he? I'm I missing anything by not having him around?

2.) Do you lose your souls if you use a "Shard of Archstone" to go back to the nexus with?

3.) What good are the "soul remains" ????

I really need to start looking into better weapons/armor now that i'm farther into the game. Right now I'm rocking this

starting top left

Adjudicator's Shield
Compound Long Bow (left the heavy crossbow so i could pick up the "God's Hands"
Long Sword +5
Silver Catalyst

Assassin's Mask
Leather Armor
Leather Gloves
Leather Boots

Thief's Ring
Cling Ring

Instro

Mana Sin said:
Hm, for some reason Ostrava won't appear for me in 1-3. As far as I know, he has yet to die, so is this a glitch? It would be pretty damn annoying if the idiot died without my knowledge. I want his key.

Yeah he might have died without you knowing. Happened to me before.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf i didn't get that sword. where is it?
Well, you need Pure White World Tendency to get it, which you might have by now. After walking up the long hallway, go left, and it should be somewhere in there.

Mana Sin

Yeah, I didn't have white tendency in that area (first play-through here) until after killing the Dragon King.

Ostrava, you have let me down. I will kill you next time I see you, in NG+.

Mana Sin said:
Yeah, I didn't have white tendency in that area (first play-through here) until after killing the Dragon King.

Ostrava, you have let me down. I will kill you next time I see you, in NG+.

I'm on my first play through and no fucking clue how i even have pure white

so i beat 3 black phantoms in 1-4. then i try to pickup the loot but one of the guys loot was too heavy.

so i go into my items menu and unequip my heaviest item, which is my armor, just to see what kind of weapon this guy dropped. as im doing that it says im getting invaded by a black phantom. so i quickly try to drop the shield that the black phantom left, then pick up my armor, but the dude is already on me so i just start running and he kills me.

ok, so now im dead and im trying to get back to reclaim my souls, and i get killed with 1 arrow from those assholes sitting on the dragon. all those souls down the drain because that dickbag invaded me at the worst possible time!

SUBZERO-08 said:
Yeah, those souls are gone. Don't worry, farming them isn't too hard, you'll be able to make them back relatively quickly.

i don't care about the souls as much as i do my armor. where can i find some decent armor in the game? there is none available at the nexus

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i don't care about the souls as much as i do my armor. where can i find some decent armor in the game? there is none available at the nexus
Hm. The Old King Doran armor is pretty solid, you can get that in 1-1 after you obtain the Mausoleum Key, which you should find in 1-4. You're gonna have to kill the King for it though, which is one hell of a fight.

There's also the Brushwood Armor set, but it's fairly heavy. It can be found in 1-1 when you have either Pure White or Pure Black World Tendency. You find that to the left of the very first archstone, there should be some pathway down.

On my old melee character, I used Yurt's armor, which I really liked the look of. You can get that by killing Yurt in 3-2.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Hm. The Old King Doran armor is pretty solid, you can get that in 1-1 after you obtain the Mausoleum Key, which you should find in 1-4. You're gonna have to kill the King for it though, which is one hell of a fight.

There's also the Brushwood Armor set, but it's fairly heavy. It can be found in 1-1 when you have either Pure White or Pure Black World Tendency. You find that to the left of the very first archstone, there should be some pathway down.

On my old melee character, I used Yurt's armor, which I really liked the look of. You can get that by killing Yurt in 3-2.

well without some type of armor i wont be able to win any of those fights :/

i'll poke around and see if i can find some other armor in the meantime. thanks for the tips!

LProtag

Alright, I played this for a while on my friend's PS3 but now I've picked it up for myself since I've got my own PS3.

I'm completely terrified of screwing up making my character. Should I find a build online and follow it or can I just go with my gut on this and be able to play through the game decently?

InsertNameHere said:
Alright, I played this for a while on my friend's PS3 but now I've picked it up for myself since I've got my own PS3.

I'm completely terrified of screwing up making my character. Should I find a build online and follow it or can I just go with my gut on this and be able to play through the game decently?

I've been just adding souls to where I want.... Don't really see a reason why you should follow a build order.

there is only a few choices that makes sense and i've just been adding souls to them in order keeping them all pretty close to each other.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
well without some type of armor i wont be able to win any of those fights :/

i'll poke around and see if i can find some other armor in the meantime. thanks for the tips!

In 5-1 you can buy some armor from that Filthy Woman pretty close to the start of the map.

You shouldn't have much trouble making it to her.

Mana Sin

Old King Allant kicked my ass. That's what I get for trying to spam magic :p Turns out his defense against magic is pretty darn high. I got cut down while trying to run away and heal. *sigh* I do not look forward to trying to make my way back to the fog gate. Damn dragons.

Does that trio of Black Phantoms and BP-Ostrava respawn?

Still never got around to completing one playthrough...dammit...

Online is up until October 2011 for NA then?

What about the EU and JP versions?

Mana Sin said:
Old King Allant kicked my ass. That's what I get for trying to spam magic :p Turns out his defense against magic is pretty darn high. I got cut down while trying to run away and heal. *sigh* I do not look forward to trying to make my way back to the fog gate. Damn dragons.

i killed the blue dragon by spamming some magic. then i got fucking worked by old king allant. not sure how i'm going to beat him, my character is almost fully magic based and it doesn't do shit to him, nor do i really have an opportunity to hit him with magic anyways cause he just rushes me

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i killed the blue dragon by spamming some magic. then i got fucking worked by old king allant. not sure how i'm going to beat him, my character is almost fully magic based and it doesn't do shit to him, nor do i really have an opportunity to hit him with magic anyways cause he just rushes me
Watch his pattern, afair there is some hint before any attack he does so you can roll out of harm's way, cast magic, repeat.

oracrest

Mana Sin said:

Once you kill those black phantoms, they are gone forever.

Mana Sin

^ That's a relief. I want to get to Allant as quickly as possible next time I play.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Well, he's supposed to be sorta vulnerable to fire. Try a fire attack? I've been told that I should use turpentine and just dodge around him attacking whenever possible. Also, you can apparently interrupt that nasty AOE blast of his by slapping him with something. Wish I knew that earlier.

oracrest

Mana Sin said:
Also, you can apparently interrupt that nasty AOE blast of his by slapping him with something. Wish I knew that earlier.

Yeah, you can hit him to interrupt his blast. Quite necessary if he has you up against a corner and you don't have time to run past him, and then out of the way. As scary as it is, rushing him and attacking is the safest defense against that attack.

pastacopy

Neo Member
stuckg.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Alright, so last night I was a bit drunk and farming on NG+ (all bosses killed except for False King). I go to 2-1 to kill the primeval demon and somehow manage to get myself stuck in the gears of one of the lifts. Now I'm a permanent fixture of the landscape. Evacuate doesn't work. Nexial Binding doesn't work. Suicide with magic sword makoto doesn't work! lol
Damn, and I was pretty happy with my knight. Oh well, I'm sure I will start over eventually.

Alright, so I wanna start getting into the world tendency events. I know about the Wiki, but can you guys maybe tell me what's the best way to start? Going all black by using stones and dying? 45hours in and this game still overwhelms me. Awesome!

barnone

Is there any way to dodge (1-2 boss)
the arrows constantly be shot at you on the tower knight? I understand I can run through his legs to escape his attacks, but these arrows are a constant distraction.

Zoe

barnone said:
Is there any way to dodge (1-2 boss)
the arrows constantly be shot at you on the tower knight? I understand I can run through his legs to escape his attacks, but these arrows are a constant distraction.

They're being shot by people. Find them.

Top Bottom