• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

schennmu said:
Alright, so I wanna start getting into the world tendency events. I know about the Wiki, but can you guys maybe tell me what's the best way to start? Going all black by using stones and dying? 45hours in and this game still overwhelms me. Awesome!
I would probably do all the Pure White events first, because I find it's harder to get back to those, and you're likely already nearly Pure White in most worlds. After that, keep dying in body form and going back and forth to the Nexus to reach Pure Black. Make sure you kill any Black Phantoms and Primeval Demons in one go.

pastacopy said:
stuckg.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Alright, so last night I was a bit drunk and farming on NG+ (all bosses killed except for False King). I go to 2-1 to kill the primeval demon and somehow manage to get myself stuck in the gears of one of the lifts. Now I'm a permanent fixture of the landscape. Evacuate doesn't work. Nexial Binding doesn't work. Suicide with magic sword makoto doesn't work! lol
Damn, and I was pretty happy with my knight. Oh well, I'm sure I will start over eventually.

weird edit: glad you got out

pastacopy

Neo Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
I just got Old King Doran to about 20% health and he healed.

You motherfucker!

I'm ashamed to admit I cheesed him because I found it too hard/tedious to fight him. Poison Cloud + Death Cloud, then just stand outside the Mausoleum until he croaks.

one85x

schennmu said:
Alright, so I wanna start getting into the world tendency events. I know about the Wiki, but can you guys maybe tell me what's the best way to start? Going all black by using stones and dying? 45hours in and this game still overwhelms me. Awesome!
Killing the bosses is enough for PWWT. Just be sure to suicide in the Nexus whenever you're in body form. You also might want to play offline as the server neutralizes the WT every time you log on. If you're at PWWT, it will take seven SoEE to get to PBWT.

Eccocid

pastacopy said:
stuckg.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Alright, so last night I was a bit drunk and farming on NG+ (all bosses killed except for False King). I go to 2-1 to kill the primeval demon and somehow manage to get myself stuck in the gears of one of the lifts. Now I'm a permanent fixture of the landscape. Evacuate doesn't work. Nexial Binding doesn't work. Suicide with magic sword makoto doesn't work! lol
Damn, and I was pretty happy with my knight. Oh well, I'm sure I will start over eventually.

LOL! Wait for someone to invade you...Maybe they can kill you?! OH ut you are in phantom mode :/

Have some questions, firstly I started as a soldier how can I learn magic and where can I get a bow and whats all these soul arrows I keep hearing about. Second what is the best order to play through the game.

McKeeverFever said:
Have some questions, firstly I started as a soldier how can I learn magic and where can I get a bow and whats all these soul arrows I keep hearing about. Second what is the best order to play through the game.
Start over as a Royal

oracrest

McKeeverFever said:

You can begin to learn magic and miracles from some of the NPC's in the Nexus, but you may need to increase your proper stats to be able to cast a single spell. There are other characters down the road that you will encounter that can teach you more powerful stuff. You also need a "catalyst" equipped in one hand to be able to use magic.

Soul Arrow is a useful missile spell that the Royal class starts the game with automatically. Of course, there's nothing wrong with trying to learn it with your current character.

sixghost

Are there any quick-look type videos out there of this game? I watched the giantbomb one back around the release of the game, but it didn't really seem like Vinny had gotten a good grasp on the game yet.

oracrest

Man, you GOTTA kill both Maneaters up close and personal.

It's one of the truest tests of the game, up there with Flamelurker.

sixghost said:
Are there any quick-look type videos out there of this game? I watched the giantbomb one back around the release of the game, but it didn't really seem like Vinny had gotten a good grasp on the game yet.

I watched the IGN video review of it recently, and it sums it up pretty well.

Flamelurker nearly did me in, so I thought one would be enough! Haha.

So now I've done 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1

4-2 boss is kicking my ass, so I may try world 5 for the first time.

This game is sucking my life away I swear.

I still can't believe that all these people like DS'. It makes me happy.

I feel lucky to play this game and be around people who like it too.

patsu

oracrest said:

^^^ This. It's one of the most intense moments in the game. Whelp... getting chased by one of those
world 5 giant monsters across the viscous, poisonous swamp
is &%*(&%$* scary too.

Beating the sh*t out of an invading Black Phantom is the most exuberating. Some of them are really great melee fighters. I can't do much but to die and surrender my souls to them.

Most of the invasion combats are more a fierce test of will, calmness and who-has-more-potions. :p

ssolitare said:
I still can't believe that all these people like DS'. It makes me happy.

I feel lucky to play this game and be around people who like it too.

Yap ! And a big thank you for all your dying moments and bloody messages.

oracrest said:

In all honesty, I felt like Flamelurker was an absolute bitch compared to Maneater. But, to each his own.

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
I can see myself getting bored just because running from the very beginning every time you die is so tedious. I wish there were checkpoints...

Just not sure if I'm going to like the way the game is designed. I find the combat really satisfying but yeah...

Foliorum Viridum said:
So after ten hours that's now three levels finished!

Really, really loving it now.

I love when this happens...

Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha, yep, I could have easily stopped then and walked away thinking this game was trash. That was, what, a week ago? Now I'm the best part of 40 hours in.
"The true Demon's Souls starts here."

;)

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha, yep, I could have easily stopped then and walked away thinking this game was trash. That was, what, a week ago? Now I'm the best part of 40 hours in.

I took a long break from the game myself. Mainly because Monster Hunter Tri came out.

Generally, if I put a game up, I rarely ever go back and finish it, but I popped DS back in 5 months later, and continued to play it till the end, and through again, and again, until I had played it through 5 times back to back, with a melee fighter, mage, priest, level 1 playthrough, and ultimately platinum. (I've never played a game back to back even once before...)

Never had a game sucked me in so much. I don't give a shit about trophies whatsoever, but they just kept giving me one more goal to go for, and ultimately that Final trophy is like a badge of honor now :)

Mana Sin

Ah, the BP that would have given me a black stone to invade others (and force a monk summon?) just jumped down a bottomless pit. =/ Will it respawn or is that yet another item I lost for this play-through?

Mana Sin said:
Ah, the BP that would have given me a black stone to invade others (and force a monk summon?) just jumped down a bottomless pit. =/ Will it respawn or is that yet another item I lost for this play-through?

Um....reload your game? The item should be there....if you already leaved the level...yeah, it's useless, you'll have to wait until next run.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Flamelurker nearly did me in, so I thought one would be enough! Haha.

So now I've done 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1

4-2 boss is kicking my ass, so I may try world 5 for the first time.

This game is sucking my life away I swear.
World 5 is pretty annoying but the first boss was pretty cool and really easy with magic.

I've done the first world of every zone, working on the second ones, on 2-2 now, damn Flamelurker.

Oh, I killed the Red Dragon from 1-1/1-2 and I noticed the wiki doesn't show anything to trade his soul in for, is this true should I just use it for souls?

theta11

Flizzzipper said:
World 5 is pretty annoying but the first boss was pretty cool and really easy with magic.

I've done the first world of every zone, working on the second ones, on 2-2 now, damn Flamelurker.

Oh, I killed the Red Dragon from 1-1/1-2 and I noticed the wiki doesn't show anything to trade his soul in for, is this true should I just use it for souls?
Save it for when you are in a pinch and need some quick souls.

Mana Sin said:

You can get a black eye stone from any humanoid black phantom including invading players. But reloading resets the loot position as long as you dont leave the level.

LogicStep

So I just got this, I tried it once but I got so frustrated because I kept dying to some insanely powerful dude in the first stage, I guess he was a knight or something, I got so close to killing him a few times but he would get some quick jab at me with his lance and I would die right there.

Anyways, going to give the game another shot. I kind of want to play a character that uses a big ass weapon and smashes through shit, what class should I start out as? Also, what things in general should I keep in mind? I read somewhere in this or the other thread about not using boss souls, anything else?

theta11

zazrx said:
So I just got this, I tried it once but I got so frustrated because I kept dying to some insanely powerful dude in the first stage, I guess he was a knight or something, I got so close to killing him a few times but he would get some quick jab at me with his lance and I would die right there.

Anyways, going to give the game another shot. I kind of want to play a character that uses a big ass weapon and smashes through shit, what class should I start out as? Also, what things in general should I keep in mind? I read somewhere in this or the other thread about not using boss souls, anything else?

Temple Knight is the best melee starting class, but really it doesn't matter much.

As for tips, take your time and move carefully. And yes the boss souls are used for making unique weapons and learning spells so try not to use them since you only get one of each per playthrough.

patsu

zazrx said:

Just like in real life, if the enemies are too strong, run away or avoid until you are stronger. Or perhaps there's an easier way around.

oracrest

zazrx said:
And if I want to be a badass wielding a huge sword, class has nothing to do with it right?

The class names are misleading, as they are just different stat attribution from the start. They will start out with different gear, and maybe a spell or two from the get go, but that's it. In time, you character can do anything at all that a character may do, depending on how you level them up.

Also, avoid that spear wielding knight in the first level for now...

God, trying to farm a Pure Darkmoonstone is one of the most annoying things ever. Those damned Crystal Lizards and Mantas, I feel like breaking my freaking controller.

oracrest said:
I took a long break from the game myself. Mainly because Monster Hunter Tri came out.

Generally, if I put a game up, I rarely ever go back and finish it, but I popped DS back in 5 months later, and continued to play it till the end, and through again, and again, until I had played it through 5 times back to back, with a melee fighter, mage, priest, level 1 playthrough, and ultimately platinum. (I've never played a game back to back even once before...)

Never had a game sucked me in so much. I don't give a shit about trophies whatsoever, but they just kept giving me one more goal to go for, and ultimately that Final trophy is like a badge of honor now :)
I'm 99% sure I haven't got a trophy that isn't related to killing a boss, hah...

I would like to replay the game but this summer is huge push for me to clear my backlog. Since I'll be jumping on Dark Souls at release I'm sure that will get some replays, though :)

LogicStep

oracrest said:
The class names are misleading, as they are just different stat attribution from the start. They will start out with different gear, and maybe a spell or two from the get go, but that's it. In time, you character can do anything at all that a character may do, depending on how you level them up.

Also, avoid that spear wielding knight in the first level for now...
Oh you don't have to tell me, I saw him a little while ago and just turned around and kept about my business :lol I'm just trying to figure out how to get past those dragons by the cliff =\

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm 99% sure I haven't got a trophy that isn't related to killing a boss, hah...

I would like to replay the game but this summer is huge push for me to clear my backlog. Since I'll be jumping on Dark Souls at release I'm sure that will get some replays, though :)

The great thing about replays in this game for me was that they go considerably faster than the first time. You pretty much remember where things are, and you can burn through a handful of levels in a night. It makes more playthroughs pretty quick and fun, and there's stuff you can focus on a second time around, like multiplayer, using a different kind of weapon or magic, or figuring out secrets that you missed the first time.

Trophies are for killing bosses, upgrading a weapon for all the different stone types, and then a few unique trophies, like learning all spells. Also, you can achieve these through different characters. I got the spell trophy with my magic user, and the weapons with my melee character.

zazrx said:
Oh you don't have to tell me, I saw him a little while ago and just turned around and kept about my business :lol I'm just trying to figure out how to get past those dragons by the cliff =\

lol, you can avoid them for now too ;)

Flizzzipper said:
Damn it! I'm right at the cusp of beating Flamelurker and keep screwing it up.

Flamelurker is definetly a bitch to beat.

I'd suggest using thief ring: if you gain enough distance and hiding between the pillars, will make him lose sight of you (he will stand up doing nothing or...walking without actually moving...), use that to set attacks to his back or to regain health/put up warding or second chance.

Take into consideration that in the last 1/3 of his health bar, he will go batshit insane and will not leave you much room to breath.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Finally got a Pure Darkmoonstone, now for a Pure Bladestone. This should be fun...

it is...it is...

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, I'm back in town for the summer and need a game to play. I've played this game a few times but dismissed it for being "not my cup of tea", but I feel like I just need to sit down and play the damn thing uninterrupted for a few hours.

Any tips, hints, or advice to make this experience more smooth?

patsu

Better allocate a few days rather than just a few hours.

Also, be open minded until you kill the first 1-2 boss(es). Be flexible about your approach, and don't be a completionist for first try. You need to push yourself but let it go if the enemies are too powerful. And ask for help in this forum. You'll need it.

I really want to try this game, but I have no idea how I'll react to it. I'm not used to playing super-punishing game, and I don't want to be turned away by its difficulty. I hear fantastic things about the battle mechanics, and I'm really interested in it. Decisions, decisions. :-/

Attackthebase said:
I really want to try this game, but I have no idea how I'll react to it. I'm not used to playing super-punishing game, and I don't want to be turned away by its difficulty. I hear fantastic things about the battle mechanics, and I'm really interested in it. Decisions, decisions. :-/
I was scared away by people saying how hard it was until last week when I first played it, died a lot for the first few hours, then it twigged and I fell in love.

Just dive in and stick with it. If you can get over that hump, you're good to go!

Havok

Attackthebase said:
Honestly, its only really difficult for the first few hours, and then it tapers off, especially if you take a look at some gear locations and get some of the good stuff. I just finished the game for the first time last night and I wholeheartedly recommend it, I think my copy was like 16 bucks at my local Gamestop (so its not like paying 60 and hating it, at least).

Top Bottom