• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest said:
There have been many comparisons to the Berserk comic. No doubt an influence...

1271717936246.jpg

Does anyone have any more comparison screenshots to Berserk?

soldat7

Just played for the first time in a very long time. Tried sniping a black skeleton on 4-1 and forgot how to zoom back out. I fumbled with my controller, sending my character spinning towards a wall, one that fortuitously held a ladder. I hit triangle and began a mad scramble up the ladder just as my legs nearly took a blow from below, my heart racing. That was the best ladder climb this side of MGS3. What a game.

barnone

This game is infuriating! I wish there was a way to practice fighting without the constant threat of death. I want to learn the Tower Knight's attacks, specifically how to dodge his wide arching sword slash. But I can't, and the five minutes it takes to make it back to his room is getting tedious.

It also pissed me off when he used a different variation of his shield slam on me. I am probably going to have to find a guide for these bosses since I don't want to use all of my time learning the fights.

Also, any tips for the L2 shield attack? Is that "parry" (I always thought parries were done with swords)?

So I beat a few more maps tonight. 5-1, 3-2, and 3-3. Puts me at about halfway done as I'm using that order that someone gave me a few pages back.

What I wanna know is where the hell the message was that said "bring your own lube" before walking into the maneater fight. My God. On my 4th or 5th attempt I felt more and more like I should Just knock ln the fog gate and say I was here for the gangbang.

After that battle I've been thinking I should really start hunting down a better sword. My long sword +5 just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

Mana Sin

So... I hear you can zoom in while using a ranged weapon. Is that for both bows and crossbows? I imagine crossbows have sights, and as I cannot figure out how to zoom with a bow, I may have answered my own question.

Mana Sin said:
So... I hear you can zoom in while using a ranged weapon. Is that for both bows and crossbows? I imagine crossbows have sights, and as I cannot figure out how to zoom with a bow, I may have answered my own question.

I take it you already know about pushing L1 to get the sight reticule to come up? Once that is up you push up on the d pad to zoom in and down to zoom out.

EDIT**** THIS is fOR BOWS! IVE NEVER USED A CROSSBOW... DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS ON THAT!

patsu

MidnightRider said:
So I beat a few more maps tonight. 5-1, 3-2, and 3-3. Puts me at about halfway done as I'm using that order that someone gave me a few pages back.

What I wanna know is where the hell the message was that said "bring your own lube" before walking into the maneater fight. My God. On my 4th or 5th attempt I felt more and more like I should Just knock ln the fog gate and say I was here for the gangbang.

After that battle I've been thinking I should really start hunting down a better sword. My long sword +5 just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

You need the
Warding spell if you want an easy fight. I think Maneater is weak against fire. And if you chop off their tail, their attack become weaker or so I read.

Mana Sin

MidnightRider said:
I take it you already know about pushing L1 to get the sight reticule to come up? Once that is up you push up on the d pad to zoom in and down to zoom out.

EDIT**** THIS is fOR BOWS! IVE NEVER USED A CROSSBOW... DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS ON THAT!

lol, thanks. I just accidentally figured that out like 3min ago.

LogicStep

Is there an easy way to get the parry move to work? Every time I try to parry an attack I just get hit to the point where I just rather block or dodge.

patsu said:
You need the
Warding spell if you want an easy fight. I think Maneater is weak against fire. And if you chop off their tail, their attack become weaker or so I read.

Yeah I beat them before I made that post.... I just made me realize I need to hunt down a better sword.

roxya

zazrx said:
Is there an easy way to get the parry move to work? Every time I try to parry an attack I just get hit to the point where I just rather block or dodge.

It's just a matter of timing it right. Most people don't bother with it though.

LogicStep

Ok so I got the Purple Flame Shield but I need to raise my strength to be able to wear it correctly but I'm dead... should I use a stone that I have to resurrect and level up? Are these stones needed later on or something?

Broseybrose

zazrx said:
Ok so I got the Purple Flame Shield but I need to raise my strength to be able to wear it correctly but I'm dead... should I use a stone that I have to resurrect and level up? Are these stones needed later on or something?
You must complete 1-1 (defeat phalanx) and then talk to - i forget her name, she sits on the upper level of the nexus with a lit candle in front of her - before the Maiden in Black will level you.

Also, though only applicable to weapons, dont for get that two-handing gives you a 1.5x STR bonus. STR doesnt do more damage, just allows you to hold weapons with a higher STR req.

LogicStep

Broseybrose said:
You must complete 1-1 (defeat phalanx) and then talk to - i forget her name, she sits on the upper level of the nexus with a lit candle in front of her - before the Maiden in Black will level you.

Also, though only applicable to weapons, dont for get that two-handing gives you a 1.5x STR bonus. STR doesnt do more damage, just allows you to hold weapons with a higher STR req.
Yeah I defeated the first boss, got the winged spear and purple shield by killing the red dragon. The thing is I'm dead now, died while doing the whole red dragon thing, so I can't see the Maiden.

I thought I saw in the stat description that Str raised attack power hmm... so what am I supposed to raise beside vitality? Enough Str for gear I guess but what about the rest? I know eventually you can have everything maxed but I'm not even thinking that far ahead.

So the only way to do more damage is get better gear? I guess this isn't like traditional rpgs where you can get to a certain level and just own everything in sight? Here you actually need to always play smart or get owned?

Broseybrose

zazrx said:
Yeah I defeated the first boss, got the winged spear and purple shield by killing the red dragon. The thing is I'm dead now, died while doing the whole red dragon thing, so I can't see the Maiden.

I thought I saw in the stat description that Str raised attack power hmm... so what am I supposed to raise beside vitality? Enough Str for gear I guess but what about the rest? I know eventually you can have everything maxed but I'm not even thinking that far ahead.

So the only way to do more damage is get better gear? I guess this isn't like traditional rpgs where you can get to a certain level and just own everything in sight? Here you actually need to always play smart or get owned?
Exactly.

Youre supposed to be dead half of the time youre playing (soul form). The only way to get your body back is to beat a boss (or use a rare item).

You can return to the nexus at any time through the gate you entered the world from.

Did you get the cling ring in 1-1, which raises your HP in soul form?

"The thing is I'm dead now, died while doing the whole red dragon thing, so I can't see the Maiden. "

I dont understand this statement. U can always see the maiden in the nexus, as long as youve spoken to that blind woman with a candle in front of her on the upper level of the nexus once.

LogicStep

Broseybrose said:
Exactly.

Youre supposed to be dead half of the time youre playing (soul form). The only way to get your body back is to beat a boss (or use a rare item).

You can return to the nexus at any time through the gate you entered the world from.

Did you get the cling ring in 1-1, which raises your HP in soul form?

"The thing is I'm dead now, died while doing the whole red dragon thing, so I can't see the Maiden. "

I dont understand this statement. U can always see the maiden in the nexus, as long as youve spoken to that blind woman with a candle in front of her on the upper level of the nexus.
Yeah I got the ring. So I can level up even if I'm dead? I don't see that girl anymore to raise my stats.

What is the point of being alive in this game?

Edit: I found her, didn't notice she moved :S

daffy

Banned
Broseybrose said:
as long as youve spoken to that blind woman with a candle in front of her on the upper level of the nexus once.
Damn, I thought that was a prepubescent boy.
zazrx said:
Being alive nets you full health and allows you to invite other souls (players) into your world. There may be some other benefits I can't think of right now.

zazrx said:
Yeah I got the ring. So I can level up even if I'm dead? I don't see that girl anymore to raise my stats.

Edit: I found her, didn't notice she moved :S
When you're alive you have more health without needing the cling ring. Your footsteps/dodges make noise when you're alive, and they don't when you're dead. Also, you can summon blue phantoms / be invaded by black phantoms when alive.

Dyno

Save those Stone of Ephemral Eyes for when you are ready to modify World Tendency. There are Colourless Demon's Souls to be gained if you have most of the worlds open and a stack of Ephemral Eyes. A good time to do this is when most of the bosses are dead and only the final part of the game awaits.

Broseybrose

And, finally, if your character has white soul tendency you will do more damage in soul form. If you character has black soul tendency you will do less damage in soul form.

Character tendency is completely separate from world tendency.

MidnightRider said:

What order are you playing the game ?

Broseybrose

The stat-independent Dragon Long Sword +1 can be found at the bottom of 2-2, in an offshoot tunnel from the lava pit. You should also be able to grab enough Dragon Stone down there to upgrade the sword to at least +4.

That sword got me through the first 2/3rds of my first playthrough.

oracrest

zazrx said:

As mentioned, the health boost, and ability to summon other players to help you out. (these will be blue messages left on the ground that you may summon into your world. Players can drop their blue invite anywhere in a level, but tend to do so near the beginning, close to the archstone.)

Also, when in body form, other players may invade your game, and try to kill you (when they do, they will resurrect in their own game.) The system is set up so that only characters of a lower level may invade you, so that it's not incredibly unfair, but in the end, it's all how good the Player is, not their character stats. The different "blue barriers" that you enter through in any given level are the barrier zones for multiplayer as well. So if you drop your sign at the archstone, it will disappear when you go through that barrier, and you may leave another in that area. This works the same with black phantoms as well, so a player trying to invade your world will have no success if you are a beyond that first barrier, and they are trying to invade near the archstone. Hope that makes sense...

A few other things about body/soul form. When you drop your blue stone in a level, and are summoned to another players game, you will be resurrected into body form again if you successfully help them navigate the level, and defeat the boss. This is a handy (but potentially time consuming) way to acquire your body again if you are stuck on bosses, or out of stone of ephemeral eyes.

All in all, the multiplayer aspect is elusive, and frustrating at times, but can be very fun as well. The sudden fear when a black phantom invades your game is terrifying, and also one of the best feelings when you defeat them....

One of the most intense moments in all of my playthroughs was in 1-4. I had pretty much forgot that I was in body form, and was trudging through the level. I got to the other side of the gate, and opened it up. On the other side, Ostravia was facing off against the horde of red eyed knights, and I went sprinting over to help him out, when on screen "black phantom ....... has invaded your game!" Fuck!.... So, I ran down the stairwell towards the beginning of the level, and met him near the fountain. It was a pretty even and cautious battle, but in the end, I defeated him, and could then go help out Ostravia with the knights. Pretty intense, and especially so since if I died, Ostravia would have died as well. One of the most heart pounding moments in the game, and these strange circumstances may only happen with invaders.

test_account

XP-39C²
That Berserk comic picture above here, which level is the pile of enemies from? I cant remember to have seen this pile when i played. Or did someone just kill a lot of enemies in the same place?

test_account said:
That Berserk comic picture above here, which level is the pile of enemies from? I cant remember to have seen this pile when i played. Or did someone just kill a lot of enemies in the same place?

3-1 IIRC.

It was a big ball of bodies that shot a beam at you every once in a while.

McKeeverFever said:
What order are you playing the game ?

2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, 2-2, 2-3, 5-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, 4-3, 1-3, 5-2, 5-3, and 1-4

BOLD = I still haven't beat the level

EDIT* to keep from double posting

OneMoreQuestion said:
3-1 IIRC.

You are correct. It was right before you went back outside away from the cells.

There was also one in the blood swamp on 3-2

Rabbitwork said:
oh wow. is there an english translation of berserk?

Yeah, officially, I think the manga is up to volume 34. But people have translated the Japanese version unofficially. You should read the manga if you get the chance, Berserk is truly marvelous.

I just killed Old King Doran and his armour was worse than the one I have. Lame.

This game doesn't have enough loot, I've been using the same armour, shield and sword for 80% of the game now.

New to the game. I'm enjoying it so far but I simply will never ever parry anything ever

I started as a Royal based on some comments I've read but I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't a parry heavy/dependent class

My play style is to go slow, roll backwards a lot and wait for an opening. Royality the way to go?

oracrest

HamPster PamPster said:
New to the game. I'm enjoying it so far but I simply will never ever parry anything ever

I started as a Royal based on some comments I've read but I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't a parry heavy/dependent class

My play style is to go slow, roll backwards a lot and wait for an opening. Royality the way to go?

Play style is universal across all classes. Meaning, the classes don't have different animations or anything like that. Going slow is the way to do it!

test_account

XP-39C²
OneMoreQuestion said:
3-1 IIRC.

Oh ok, thanks :) Been almost a year since i played Demon's Souls, so i couldnt quite remember.

MidnightRider said:
If you missed the Demons Souls comic thread... check it out here. Please add anything you don't see in it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410758
Haha, great :) I havnt seen this thread before.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just killed Old King Doran and his armour was worse than the one I have. Lame.

This game doesn't have enough loot, I've been using the same armour, shield and sword for 80% of the game now.

what shield and sword are you using?

Havok

Foliorum Viridum said:
The durability is better, but the defense for my Brushwood Armour is much better, other than against fire and magic but that isn't too much of a difference.
The difference is that the Brushwood armor weighs 3 to 4 times as much as Doran's, so you'll likely run into problems carrying loot at some point (at least, I did).

Johnas

Playing New Game + (for the first time, been through the regular game twice) and 5-1 is just annihilating me. I decided to go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2 (etc.) this playthrough for whatever reason, and I've hit a huge roadblock.

It's mainly the giant depraved ones, the second one in particular. It seems like their attacks can't be blocked with a shield, is that correct? Either that or I haven't been able to successfully line up a block.

MidnightRider said:
what shield and sword are you using?
Purple Flame Shield +something until I have enough strength for another one I can't remember the name of.

Scimitar +8, although I've read that world 4 has some nice swords which I may switch to when I find them! (going to do the 4-2 boss later)
Havok said:
The difference is that the Brushwood armor weighs 3 to 4 times as much as Doran's, so you'll likely run into problems carrying loot at some point (at least, I did).
I always have the Hercules ring, so that's not an issue for me.

I'm sure there are better things than what I have, but it just feels like I haven't found anything new and cool for ages.

barnone

Wheres a good place to farm arrows or souls to buy them? I have only completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. The witches in 3-1 are frustrating me with melee.

Edit: any advice for getting the crystal lizard in 1-2? With thiefs ring it runs away as soon as I step into the doorway.

Johnas

barnone said:
Wheres a good place to farm arrows or souls to buy them? I have only completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. The witches in 3-1 are frustrating me with melee.

There's a guy you can rescue in 4-1 who will then sell you arrows.

As for the squidheads, try some backstabs to take out a good chunk of their health.

thorin

barnone said:
any advice for getting the crystal lizard in 1-2? With thiefs ring it runs away as soon as I step into the doorway.
With the theif's ring you should be able to rush him down and attack him as he claws at the wall to escape, just don't hesitate. Otherwise you could use the cloak spell, which should let you stand at the doorway without him running away so you can shoot him with arrows or something.

Top Bottom