• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

LaB_NL

bone_and_sinew said:
Welcome to the club. The tanker truck full of whiskey and wheelbarrow to carry testicles is behind the second door past the T-Rex arena.

Nice!!!

After achieving platinum in the NA version I was completely done with Demon's Souls. Been there, done that....

....starting NG+++ in the PAL-release of the game.

chris-013 said:
I bought the game six maybe seven month ago and never played it... and now it's like drugs !

I finally got sick of it during my 4th or 5th cycle. I had one of those 'why am I doing this' moments whilst trying to farm the different items and so on for trophies.

So I went around and killed every NPC to pretty much stop my progress and force me not to be able to pick it up again without it being extremely difficult to continue (I had no spells equipped etc).

That was about a month ago.

But now....... now it calls to me...

I have a question about how the game is saved. I know there's autosave often but if I quit game in the middle of a level, will I go back to autosave point or beginning of level? Or the fog is like checkpoint and you get to latest one you entered? And what about nexus? Died at that point in tutorial level and had to go eat lunch so just wandering about this.

Thanks!
Been playing for few hours now, got to the first boss and returned to nexus to take a break.
Died once at bridge because I ran across before pulling mobs and clearing a bit of path.

All in all, loving it :D

RedSwirl

Okay what just happened?

At around Soul Level 17 I was having a lot of trouble in the second area of the palace. I could get to the Tower Knight but got 1-hit KO-d. On one of my rare opportunities to actually be alive I got the opportunity to summon a blue co-op player, and they basically beat the entire level for me. How does that whole system work?

Also, will I eventually be able to kill those dragons terrorizing the bridges?

RedSwirl said:
Okay what just happened?

At around Soul Level 17 I was having a lot of trouble in the second area of the palace. I could get to the Tower Knight but got 1-hit KO-d. On one of my rare opportunities to actually be alive I got the opportunity to summon a blue co-op player, and they basically beat the entire level for me. How does that whole system work?
Some blue peeps will be sporting maxed out weapons/gear and a lot of experience in the game. The only restriction is that summoned people are within 10-15 levels of your own character (the range increases at higher levels).

Also, will I eventually be able to kill those dragons terrorizing the bridges?
The opportunity presents itself :)

EasyMode

RedSwirl said:
Where do I even get better equipment? In three areas I haven't seen anything different from what I started out with.
There's plenty of nice items lying around 3-1 tower of latria and 4-1 shrine of storms.

You can kill the orange dragon as it flies over the bridge itself, this is how I did it, I think I used Soul Arrow as it flew over, I guess arrows work too. Standing under the first turret, as the dragon swoops down over the first section of the bridge, cast Soul Arrow, then target (since there is a slight delay in casting a spell, and the speed the dragon moves at). Didn't take too long.

I really want to get back into this game, haven't played it for about 2 weeks or so because of 3D Dot Game Heroes and mainly Minecraft.

Any gear/stats tips for leveling Royal? I started reading this http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/56739 but it got too complicated.
I bought a short spear and gonna buy shield from blacksmith. What are some other things I should be aiming for while leveling and going through the game?
Also the stats, I see many builds around for pvp, for this and that but I'm not sure what I should be doing while, again, leveling.

Tips? :)

RedSwirl

EasyMode said:
There's plenty of nice items lying around 3-1 tower of latria and 4-1 shrine of storms.

What I meant to say was that I haven't encountered ANY equipment drops at all since the tutorial stage. What's wrong?

magichans

Banned
RedSwirl said:
What I meant to say was that I haven't encountered ANY equipment drops at all since the tutorial stage. What's wrong?
You buy it or forge it. Also, one of your skills may be low that encourages drops from what I remember.

manzo

Just finished my first playthrough. The final battle was quite a letdown however.

This, Nier, Last Remnant and Deadly Premonition = my games of this generation.

Now, on to NG+!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
RedSwirl said:
Well for armor it's not like you find legs here and helmets there, it's entire sets at once and they're usually hidden or you have to kill a named npc to get it.

RedSwirl

magichans said:
You buy it or forge it. Also, one of your skills may be low that encourages drops from what I remember.

Luck? I upgraded that once.

So is it more important to spend souls on equipment or leveling up?

magichans

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Luck? I upgraded that once.

So is it more important to spend souls on equipment or leveling up?
Both. Some items you can't wield or use to the full potential without having the necessary stats. IIRC, a bosses soul is used to forge higher level weapons, so don't waste those and keep on to them.

RedSwirl

magichans said:
Both. Some items you can't wield or use to the full potential without having the necessary stats. IIRC, a bosses soul is used to forge higher level weapons, so don't waste those and keep on to them.

I just used the last boss's soul to get more souls dude.

This is so frustrating! I'm trying to get the Talisman of Beasts in 2-2, but Stonefang Tunnel is Pure White WT at the moment and I need Pure Black to fight Scirvir. So for the first time in the game, I've tried to manipulate WT by dying in body form (which, according to Demon's Souls Wiki, shifts to black by one).

So far, I've wasted like ten Stone of Ephemeral Eyes dying in body form and then regaining body form and dying again in 2-2, but on the menu Stonefang still looks Pure White. Gah! Is there another way to get this item? I hate carrying around a Talisman of God and a Silver Catalyst separately.

EDIT: Never mind, it didn't show up until I went back to the Nexus :p

RyanDG

Leona Lewis said:
This is so frustrating! I'm trying to get the Talisman of Beasts in 2-2, but Stonefang Tunnel is Pure White WT at the moment and I need Pure Black to fight Scirvir. So for the first time in the game, I've tried to manipulate WT by dying in body form (which, according to Demon's Souls Wiki, shifts to black by one).

So far, I've wasted like ten Stone of Ephemeral Eyes dying in body form and then regaining body form and dying again in 2-2, but on the menu Stonefang still looks Pure White. Gah! Is there another way to get this item? I hate carrying around a Talisman of God and a Silver Catalyst separately.

Are you going back to the nexus? The change to world tendency won't occur until you've gone back to the nexus and re-entered the level.

Edit - And there you go. :p

oracrest

Sykotik said:
Awesome job, oracrest! Perhaps the next step is live commentary?

Thanks. I have an idea for another one. It will be different than these though, not a challenge mode of any kind. It should be fun, and probably more interesting to watch than these two...

Tenbatsu

Anyone encountered this before? While talking to Thomas in Nexus in my human form, I was killed suddenly while sorting out my inventory. Anyone know the reason why?

EasyMode

Tenbatsu said:
Anyone encountered this before? While talking to Thomas in Nexus in my human form, I was killed suddenly while sorting out my inventory. Anyone know the reason why?
Maybe you equipped the magic sword Makoto? That sword drains your health.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just got this game the other day purely due to Gaf-Hype. I really only play fighting games, but I've been wanting to try something more relaxing as of late. Just got passed the tutorial. Game seems very promising.

I'm typically an RPG hater, also. That might be changing.

oracrest

Kimosabae said:
Just got this game the other day purely due to Gaf-Hype. I really only play fighting games, but I've been wanting to try something more relaxing as of late. Just got passed the tutorial. Game seems very promising.

In a way, the fighting system feels to me a lot like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, mixed with Monster Hunter.

Your skill with the fighting system is the meat of this game. The timing of the invulnerable roll is similar to the third strike parry timing. Very precise and specific.

Kimosabae said:

If you like fighting games, I would wean yourself off the targeting system ASAP. The game plays much more smoothly this way IMO. Familiarize yourself with stamina use and weapon attack variety and you'll be set.

Grinchy

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
I am equipped with Meat Cleaver. Makoto is in Thomas's inventory.
Did you accidentally roll into anyone before opening the inventory. I remember pissing off Sage Freke on accident during a playthrough because I'd always roll from the steps. I hit him one too many times, I guess haha.

EasyMode

Kimosabae said:

Normally, saying this about demon's souls would make me laugh, but this game won't make your sodium levels go up half as badly as a fighting game would. So I guess it is relatively relaxing :)

Also good job beating the tutorial.

EasyMode said:
Normally, saying this about demon's souls would make me laugh, but this game won't make your sodium levels go up half as badly as a fighting game would. So I guess it is relatively relaxing :)
Dunno, going by some of the hatemail I've gotten there is a lot of salt being passed around Boletaria. Granted it isn't quite as bad as what I've seen of MK9 (yikes).

EasyMode

macuser1of5 said:
Dunno, going by some of the hatemail I've gotten there is a lot of salt being passed around Boletaria. Granted it isn't quite as bad as what I've seen of MK9 (yikes).
I guess I've been lucky not getting any hatemail for this game. Probably because most of my PvP experience is as a blue phantom. I feel bad about invading people (well that, and I'd be free).

RyanDG

macuser1of5 said:

I never send hatemail as a rule. And as a player who usually plays the Black Phantom route, I tend to get a lot myself (especially when you start using environmental concerns against your opponent)... The only time I ever consider throwing out hatemail personally though (and I never follow through on it) is the jokers who hop in with a Tower shield/Scraping Spear. That's really the only thing in the game I ever really frown upon. :(

Kimosabae

Banned
EasyMode said:
Also good job beating the tutorial.

Was it supposed to be hard? I vaguely remember people talking about how hard this game is - I think I remember one guy saying he problems getting passed the first enemy??

The rumblings about the game's difficulty is part of what intrigued me about it. I didn't die during the tutorial.

RyanDG

Kimosabae said:
Was it supposed to be hard? I vaguely remember people talking about how hard this game is - I think I remember one guy saying he problems getting passed the first enemy??

The rumblings about the game's difficulty is part of what intrigued me about it. I didn't die during the tutorial.

You beat the Vanguard in the tutorial on your first try? Wowzers.

Tower Shield and scraping spear? That's what Death Cloud and hyper arrows (or hyper Blind if you're feeling cheeky) are for. :D

And yeah, most of the hatemail will come from running away to gain advantage/split up a party, as if I'm supposed to take on three people at once. No, Mr. Host, I really do not want to be gangbanged by 3 dudes with Meat Cleavers and Firestorm.

EasyMode

Most people die to Vanguard on their first try since he can kill you in 1 hit. He's more intimidating looking than challenging though, since he's slow and telegraphs his moves. But yeah, beating him on your first try is pretty impressive.

Kimosabae

Banned
What's the Vanguard? The beast with many eyes? If so, he did kill me. I thought he was supposed to, :/

(since that sends you to the Nexus.)

RyanDG

Kimosabae said:
What's the Vanguard? The beast with many eyes? If so, he did kill me. I thought he was supposed to, :/

http://demonssouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/screenshots/ds8.jpg

If you are talking about that guy, then it is possible to kill him. ;)

EasyMode said:
Most people die to Vanguard on their first try since he can kill you in 1 hit. He's more intimidating looking than challenging though, since he's slow and telegraphs his moves. But yeah, beating him on your first try is pretty impressive.

Yep, that was my point... I just couldn't imagine being able to get the vanguard's patterns down on the first attempt without getting splattered at least once. After you have beaten him once and are able to understand his patterns, it's not really that big of feat, but it's still a good show of your 'ability' in terms of demon's souls development by that point.

Kimosabae said:

Haha, I was gonna say, if you beat him your first play, this game will be cake. However not dying is pretty damn good too, I'm sure I did the first time. What class did you run with, and what do you think you'll focus on?

Kimosabae

Banned
I kinda stood there and let him clobber me. I was interested in seeing what his attack pattern was, and I learned the hard way I couldn't take more than one swing. :/

Now I'm annoyed.

Kimosabae said:
I kinda stood there and let him clobber me. I was interested in seeing what his attack pattern was, and I learned the hard way I couldn't take more than one swing. :/

Now I'm annoyed.
It will be the first of many learning experiences :)

Drewfonse

Nolimit_SS said:
Any gear/stats tips for leveling Royal? I started reading this http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/56739 but it got too complicated.
I bought a short spear and gonna buy shield from blacksmith. What are some other things I should be aiming for while leveling and going through the game?
Also the stats, I see many builds around for pvp, for this and that but I'm not sure what I should be doing while, again, leveling.

Tips? :)

I used Royalty too, make sure that you save Ostrava in 1-1, because you can get the Thief's Ring as a result. It makes your life considerably easier, especially in World 4. Soul Arrow is your best friend for now, Soul Ray, Warding and FireSpray were mainstay spells for me.

I forget my Armor's name, but I went lightweight throughout, I found it easier to have more mobility. It's daunting, but if you can get through World 4 early, there are a few great grinding areas, especially after the World's finale.

Top Bottom