• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

CatPee

Tdog987 said:
Question about upgrading weapons...

Lets say I want to upgrade my Morning Star +3 to a Dragon Morning Star +1...from reading the wiki...I have a Morning Star +3 and the 4 dragon stone shards to upgrade, but I don't see a choice to upgrade to that.

How do I upgrade to that?

I'm taking it to Blacksmith Boldwin btw.

Talk to Ed in 2-1. Exclusively use Ed, since only he can offer the advanced upgrade paths with the special ores.

oracrest

cj_iwakura said:
You can't get from 2-1 to 2-2 after killing Fool's Idol though, at least not to my knowledge.

I went after the demon first. Time to die some more!

Your thinking about World 3, Tower of Latria, and you can't go back from 3-2. You have to do the PBWT events in 3-1 first, and then move on...

2-2 to 2-1 is the ride back up the Mine Elevator.

Every time I play this game I accumulate new information which adds to my overall knowledge and changes my play-style/strategy.

There are only 2 or 3 things that I still haven't figured out.

World Tendency: So it can be White/Black/Neutral...ok...and if it is white then enemies are easier, if black enemies are harder but drop items more often. But when I look on my WT map everything looks the same, I have no idea which is more white or black than the other. Also it seems that certain stages have special effects due to the WT being one colour.

But how do I raise WT one way or the other?

Also on that screen is a picture of a man...I assume that is my character's soul tendency, which again can be black/white...but how do I influence it?

Now, the next thing is: When looking at weapons there are four icons from the right they are pierce, slash, blunt but what is the last one to the very left? Game never says....

Also some weapons have a magical attack associated with them, does that mean that it does the normal dmg+the magic dmg stacked on top? Does it have a similar effect to enchanting a weapon?

And finally, when a shield is equiped on your back, does it protect you from rear attacks?

Oh and also, does increasing my dexterity increase my overall agility/attack speed? (Obviously equip burden would likely have an effect here too)

Many awesome duels today. Some pics:

double bp invasion
IMG_1384.jpg

our arena within the arena
IMG_1379.jpg

Man pvp is such a different animal, after playing awhile you can spot what to look for, like if someone has two katanas you can most likely look forward sometime in the fight to a pushlock combo of death.

Also claymores and longer weapons have a huge friggin hitbox.

To Oracrest: Any pvp tutorial vids like your awesome single player?

So went back to 1-1 and this time killed doran (sp?). I used my mercury rapier on him to poison him and started wailing on him with my short sword till he got to about 50% HP. Then I used Soul Ray with Ring of Magical Sharpness and Theif's Ring and just ran away until he walks back to his mausoleum and repeat. Got some sweet armour and a shit load of souls. Very close to being able to use sword of Demonbrandt and then it is ON!

Also how do you become a black phantom, is it random? And is there a level limit? For example if I'm Lvl 35 can a Lvl 150 guy invade my game with top tier gear and fuck up my shit? Also what do I lose if he kills me and what do I gain if I kill him?

LaB_NL

Ryujin said:
Also how do you become a black phantom, is it random? And is there a level limit? For example if I'm Lvl 35 can a Lvl 150 guy invade my game with top tier gear and fuck up my shit? Also what do I lose if he kills me and what do I gain if I kill him?

Check this section of the wiki, it answers your questions. Also there's a level range which limits who you are able to invade or to get invaded by. Try the level calculator.

johntown

Banned
Been farming for my Pure Bladestone and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

I basically start at the Old Hero archstone and go backwards. Kill the BP Dual Katana Skeleton and then evacuate. Go to the Ajudicator archstone and kill the hidden passage Dual Katana Skeleton........rinse wash reapeat. Of course PBWT

Is there anything else I should be doing? Or do I have to keep this up for who know how many hours until it drops?

johntown said:
Been farming for my Pure Bladestone and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

I basically start at the Old Hero archstone and go backwards. Kill the BP Dual Katana Skeleton and then evacuate. Go to the Ajudicator archstone and kill the hidden passage Dual Katana Skeleton........rinse wash reapeat. Of course PBWT

Is there anything else I should be doing? Or do I have to keep this up for who know how many hours until it drops?

that's about it. some people think holding the LSOS in the other hand (if your doing soulsucker) helps with it, but others think it just influences drop rate and not rarity, in which case it would do nothing since BP drop rate is 100%.

i got mine on the BP Skelly after 30 or so tries, but when you first start farming it's great because you can level up for a while until your in the PVP range.

Vitten

Ryujin said:
So went back to 1-1 and this time killed doran (sp?). I used my mercury rapier on him to poison him and started wailing on him with my short sword till he got to about 50% HP. Then I used Soul Ray with Ring of Magical Sharpness and Theif's Ring and just ran away until he walks back to his mausoleum and repeat. Got some sweet armour and a shit load of souls. Very close to being able to use sword of Demonbrandt and then it is ON!

To become a black phantom all you need to do is enter a level in phantom form, and then use your black stone. You can get the black stone from killing black phantom NPCs like the two club guys in 2-2, the knife chick in 3-1, the katana guy in 4-2 etc.. The server will automaticallly search for another player who's within your soul level reach and transport you to his game. You can only invade and be invaded by players who are roughly within 10 soul levels of yourself. If you win, you regain your body form and earn some souls. If you lose you simply return to your own world and you can try again.

I like the Brandt swords, they're the most powerfull and practical weapons you can get at low and mid SL-range. Demonbrandt should do 240 dmg with neutral character tendency but you can get it to 480 if you can get perfect white tendency. The 'easiest' way to get that is to kill invading black phantoms. Just hang out in popular invading spots in body form like in 4-1 and it shouldn't take to long to be invaded.

BTW, if you're going to invade and kill other players you will get black character tendency and then the Demonrandt will do 0 dmg so watch out..

johntown

Banned
JackSmithy said:
i got mine on the BP Skelly after 30 or so tries, but when you first start farming it's great because you can level up for a while until your in the PVP range.
I am already at like SL 126. I gave up on it after an hour or so and started going for other trophies. I guess I will just have to dedicate some time until it drops.

Thanks

johntown said:
I am already at like SL 126. I gave up on it after an hour or so and started going for other trophies. I guess I will just have to dedicate some time until it drops.

Thanks
I have an extra Pure Bladestone if you want. I am collecting chunks of marrowstone that seem to be the bane of my Demon's Souls playing.

approaching lvl 30 and I'm completly hooked. cleared 1-1,1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. so now I'm at the point where I'm not sure where I should be going armor and weapon wise. I'm a knight base using an Uch****katana thing, sorry at work and don't remember spelling. got it a +5. I'm still using fluted armor :( do have the regenerate shield tho and a few other good items.
What weapon should I aim for? I can make the cleaver as soon as I clear 2-2 and give the red hot soul to Ed.. it seems much easier to craft considering it just takes a base club. When can I kill Ostrava and get to the old king? it says I can't start 1-3 yet. any direction would be awesome!! sorry that this is a wall of text.. on cell in a terrible meeting, Thx again!

johntown

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I have an extra Pure Bladestone if you want. I am collecting chunks of marrowstone that seem to be the bane of my Demon's Souls playing.
Yeah, I think I will take you up on that offer. I would like to try to get it myself but then my SL may end being out of range of most people if I don't get it after awhile and want help then. Since there is really no skill in getting this (just based on a 1/200 drop rate) I can justify it to myself.

Send me a PM and we can work out a time. BTW I "might" have some Chunks of Faintstone I could dupe for you.

johntown

Banned
NarcissisticJay said:
approaching lvl 30 and I'm completly hooked. cleared 1-1,1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. so now I'm at the point where I'm not sure where I should be going armor and weapon wise. I'm a knight base using an Uch****katana thing, sorry at work and don't remember spelling. got it a +5. I'm still using fluted armor :( do have the regenerate shield tho and a few other good items.
What weapon should I aim for? I can make the cleaver as soon as I clear 2-2 and give the red hot soul to Ed.. it seems much easier to craft considering it just takes a base club. When can I kill Ostrava and get to the old king? it says I can't start 1-3 yet. any direction would be awesome!! sorry that this is a wall of text.. on cell in a terrible meeting, Thx again!
You have to beat an end level boss before 1-3 is unlocked. I think the easiest is going to be the boss at the end of 2-3. You said you were going to 2-2 anyway.

BTW you can kill Ostrava anytime and get the key but you get a reward if you can rescue him in every level.......you will get the key in 1-4.

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
To Oracrest: Any pvp tutorial vids like your awesome single player?

No, I actually haven't gotten into PvP all that much. The lag always threw me off, especially since the single player timing and precision is so tight in comparison.

electroshockwave said:
BTW Oracrest and Capitan, I'd love to see you do a Let's Play with commentary for your first playthrough of Dark Souls.

I would like to do that, although I have never recorded through a microphone, I'd have to figure out how to set that up.

oracrest said:
No, I actually haven't gotten into PvP all that much. The lag always threw me off, especially since the single player timing and precision is so tight in comparison.
The real problem with PVP is that I feel it is kind of shoehorned into the game, at least in the way people play it. The gentlemen's agreement is not to use acid cloud/scraping spear or antimagic field, which is kind of bullshit really, since two of the three are solely for use against other players. I can understand banning antimagic field since the lag it creates is quite amazing (in the range of 4-5 seconds if not more), but the entire point of that spell is to snuff magic use, and would be especially effective at stopping warding or firestorm spamming.

Now if there were a dedicated 'pvp' subgame or arena where weapon durability was not permanent outside of the match, I think it would be much better system overall. Another problem are the phantom hitboxes on a lot of weapons, but that is probably an effect of lag.

I need to get back into this game before Dark Souls comes out... it's been a long time.

I remember that I was holding off on committing to dexterity or strength as my main skill to level up. Are there any noteworthy reasons to choose one over the other or is it just preference for weapon type?

johntown said:
You have to beat an end level boss before 1-3 is unlocked. I think the easiest is going to be the boss at the end of 2-3. You said you were going to 2-2 anyway.

BTW you can kill Ostrava anytime and get the key but you get a reward if you can rescue him in every level.......you will get the key in 1-4.
cool, thx. Still no idea what weapon or armor set I should aim for

Kalamoj

MisterAnderson said:
I need to get back into this game before Dark Souls comes out... it's been a long time.

I remember that I was holding off on committing to dexterity or strength as my main skill to level up. Are there any noteworthy reasons to choose one over the other or is it just preference for weapon type?
I find the dex build more versatile, because you can use bows too. With some magic , you will have a near perfect PvE character.
PvP is totally different because your skills are more important than your actual build (except if you distributed your points evenly). Start PvP early, and you will see what fits you.

johntown

Banned
NarcissisticJay said:
cool, thx. Still no idea what weapon or armor set I should aim for
That all depends on what you want to dump you points into. It seems like you want to go for the big heavy weapons. If that is the case dump points into strength and endurance.

I don't use armor but if I were going to it would either be the Dark Silver or Ancient Kings set.

Dex also reduces fall damage, which may sound unimportant until you are dueling on the 4.2 bridges and take 80 points of damage in a fall and die. :D

Strength builds can be pretty devastating, though I would say the weapons are a bit more difficult to wield effective vs quick-fire dex weapons. In PvE it doesn't really matter.

survivor

Banned
One thing I hate about watching DS videos is how they all have badass looking characters with huge swords, very awesome looking armors, and huge health bar. I think after I'm done with my first playthrough with a mage, I'm gonna go full warrior build.

Bollocks

macuser1of5 said:
Re Miralda, she probably rolled herself off the stairwell. It happens. You aren't missing much if your character is male.
Does that mean she's gone for good? Bummer, my character is female really wanted her clothes. Also I noticed that you can actually climb down the ladder, down there was an item and a message that warned me of the item's weight, of course it was to heavy for me, so went back to the nexus, stripped myself of unnecessary items, went back and the item is gone?! Is this also gone forever?
The item on the narrow wooden ledge just above it is still there ._.

EasyMode

Bollocks said:
Does that mean she's gone for good? Bummer, my character is female really wanted her clothes. Also I noticed that you can actually climb down the ladder, down there was an item and a message that warned me of the item's weight, of course it was to heavy for me, so went back to the nexus, stripped myself of unnecessary items, went back and the item is gone?! Is this also gone forever?
That sucks, Miralda's outfit is my favorite in the game. Any loot you attempt to pick up, but can't due to weight, goes into a "dropped" state and disappears when you exit the level. In your case, it was the Brushwood set which is the heaviest in the game. You can get another set later in the game from
Biorr, by killing him or letting him die.

Bollocks said:
If you're level 40ish I can just give you the set. I thiiink I have it all stored somewhere.

macuser1of5 said:
That's a lot of laggy backstabbery haha. Invader needs to time his potion use better, no need to get hit so much.

BS is probably the biggest fun dampener in PvP, since people can target on and off and abuse it, but i've found rolling to be the biggest escape method for it, most times they will still do the backstab animation (starting from any direction) but rolling cancels the damage.

here is a huge writeup on how DS gauges lag and damage and how rolling negates it ect...
http://atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224411#post224411

LeCapitan

Neo Member
JackSmithy said:
BS is probably the biggest fun dampener in PvP, since people can target on and off and abuse it, but i've found rolling to be the biggest escape method for it, most times they will still do the backstab animation (starting from any direction) but rolling cancels the damage.

here is a huge writeup on how DS gauges lag and damage and how rolling negates it ect...
http://atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224411#post224411

Really interested in reading the post... but it will not load :(

Edit: I think I found the cached version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Bollocks

macuser1of5 said:
If you're level 40ish I can just give you the set. I thiiink I have it all stored somewhere.
Thanks, I just hit 20 when I'm 40ish I'll maybe come back to it but it's not like I need to get all that stuff in my first run anyway ;)

I only have that game since 3 days but boy do I love it, it's absolutely not my genre(tried Fallout3/New Vegas) but that game makes me love it. It's a shame that I only discovered it now but at least I don't have to wait that long for Dark Souls :D

This game is so well balanced and addictive, I don't think it's _that_ hard, you just have to look at your surroundings and messages. After defeating the Armor Spider I went left and somewhere in 2-2, I have a shitload of souls but I can't go back because I'm somewhat lost and to be honest I want to explore more than going back, it's that good. I like the exploding worms, so much that while I write this post I let my character charge it's mana so I can kill another one.

Call me addicted ;D

Used all my stones to get world 2 to pure black, went to fight bp scirvir and it all went downhill from there.
Tried killing him with bow trick from inaccessible platform, did like 20 damage a hit and he healed and then I ran out of arrows.
Rolled around until his mana drained and tried fighting him but he always manages to get 1 hit on me and I'm dead.
Then tried to backstab him over and over again, besides taking forever(~80 per bs) he either manages to heal or to one shot me again.

So I'm all out of souls, ephermeral stones and arrows and no idea how to beat him :|
And being like I am I won't do anything else until he's dead...

Any ideas? Anything I do barely does any damage. Plan was to get him, then kill primeval demon, then go to nexus and back in to kill flamelurker and do pure white thingy but at this rate...

P.S. This was done offline so hope it doesn't reset

Bollocks said:
Thanks, I just hit 20 when I'm 40ish I'll maybe come back to it but it's not like I need to get all that stuff in my first run anyway ;)
I started a new (for the 1000th time) character so let me know when you want her armor, as I just finished her off.

EasyMode

Nolimit_SS said:
Any ideas? Anything I do barely does any damage. Plan was to get him, then kill primeval demon, then go to nexus and back in to kill flamelurker and do pure white thingy but at this rate...

P.S. This was done offline so hope it doesn't reset
Are you okay with cheesing him? If so,
just equip the Brushwood or Purple Flame Shield and maneuver yourself so that his back is to the pit. Now just keep blocking and back him into the pit by keeping close to him. You may have to hit him once or twice, but sometimes he'll just walk off the edge on his own.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
EasyMode said:
Are you okay with cheesing him? If so,
just equip the Brushwood or Purple Flame Shield and maneuver yourself so that his back is to the pit. Now just keep blocking and back him into the pit by keeping close to him. You may have to hit him once or twice, but sometimes he'll just walk off the edge on his own.

HA! I think I'll do this just for fun!

is this possible: I went into 5-2 to grab my broken sword.. saw a blue marker so I summoned him.. while I was killing the cleaver dude... I think he grabbed my sword.. can he do that? went back 3 times and its so gone.. :(

am I stuck now?? bah

Might just do that, I thought it would affect WT but it only affects CT so yeah, thanks :)
Edit: can't get him to fall off, if I go back to nexus wt will change, because I killed primeval demon when game ported me to 2-1 :|
from weapons I have crescent falchion +1, crushing battle axe +1, pickaxe and winged spear +4 on me, purple flame shield and silver catalyst too.
Nothing seems to be able to push him, and if I kite him too close to the edge to bs him he usually sees me and melts my face

EasyMode

Nolimit_SS said:
Nothing seems to be able to push him, and if I kite him too close to the edge to bs him he usually sees me and melts my face
Have you tried two handing the Purple Flame Shield? You'll need to equip it in the right hand to do it. The 2-handed R1 attack for big shields blocks and attacks at the same time, and I used it to knock him off last time I faced him.

CatPee

Nope. Can't return to Nexus, quit to main menu, or load another profile during MP. The only way to escape legitimately is to use the Banish miracle. Otherwise, you'd have to quit the game or pull the cord.

EasyMode said:
Have you tried two handing the Purple Flame Shield? You'll need to equip it in the right hand to do it. The 2-handed R1 attack for big shields blocks and attacks at the same time, and I used it to knock him off last time I faced him.
Didn't know you could do that, thanks! How did you get him close to the edge to do it? Gonna try some stuff now but that would be very helpful :)

EasyMode

Nolimit_SS said:
How did you get him close to the edge to do it?
Just by blocking, keeping him between myself and the pit, and by staying close to him. His AI has a tendency to back away from you, so take advantage of that.

Just did it wooohoo :D
Soul arrowed him as far back as I could(to the left) and when he started going back I knocked him down with r2 and the push push push with r1! thanks a lot man, saved me a lot of nerves

Hmm, playing a Great Axe build, interesting playing with a weapon that has hyper armor for 90% of it's moves lol. Very different than my standard go-to build. I kind of like it. Debating rocking the magical nature ring for poison cloud just to throw people off. I could probably use the morion blade off-hand too, both for attack and that pinch of boost when needed.

Bollocks

So I bought the Evacuate Miracle but can't use it, she just waves it like I'm out of MP, what stats do I need for this to work? It seems I have everything?! And I don't think I was being invaded, it doesn't work in any level ._.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Bollocks said:
So I bought the Evacuate Miracle but can't use it, she just waves it like I'm out of MP, what stats do I need for this to work? It seems I have everything?! And I don't think I was being invaded, it doesn't work in any level ._.

You probably need more MP. You can try wearing the Silver Coronet and using the Silver Catalyst, both increase your base MP.

johntown

Banned
Tdog987 said:
Question...

If I get invaded, can I use Evacuate to get out?
If you don't want to fight then I suggest using the miracle Hidden Soul with the Graverobbers Ring and make sure you do not have anything that regains health or magic.

Then find a somewhere to hide, wait for the BP to pass you, sneak up behind and backstab or banish if you have it.

Top Bottom