• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

EasyMode

macuser1of5 said:
Yeah I run around in hypermode and that is basically a giant neon light of an aura. That said, using the thief ring lets me shoot arrows at people who just stand there waiting for me to approach :p
Haha, I noticed that a lot of people just stand around waiting for the BP to come to them. I guess they haven't encountered you before.

Well if my weapons are going to give me away I guess I might as well cast second chance as soon as I enter a game. I'll be a neon floating ball of godly goodness, Umbasa.

johntown

Banned
EasyMode said:
Haha, I noticed that a lot of people just stand around waiting for the BP to come to them. I guess they haven't encountered you before.

Well if my weapons are going to give me away I guess I might as well cast second chance as soon as I enter a game. I'll be a neon floating ball of godly goodness, Umbasa.
I always wait for them to come to me and I will usually look for the high ground and narrow passages.

one85x

EasyMode said:
Can you guys help me understand something about stealth and auras in this game? I was reading the Demon's Souls Wiki about how auras from weapons/spells/items break stealth. But lately I've been playing faith characters and I noticed that I don't see any aura when I'm using my Blessed weapons or Adjudicators Shield, even though the wiki says there should be and even includes pictures here:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/aura

If I equip the Regenerator's Ring I definitely see the aura, but the Blessed/Adjudicator's thing has me puzzled. Is it a glitch? Can other players see the aura but not me? Am I going crazy? :/
If you're wearing the thief's ring, then it's probably hiding the aura (on your screen only).

OK, I've got into a nice little groove now of grinding souls from the reaper in 4-2. Basically hit him with 4/5 Soul Rays from above, then by the time I reach the bottom of the stairwell he's usually moved from his original position and is waiting at the bottom doorway, he takes just one, maybe two slashes with an enchanted weapon, then evac, rinse and repeat.

I really don't want to go further for the metal skeletons, of any variety - the red eye ones scare the heck out of me and the others outside are where those damn flying stingrays are, which I hate as their attacks seem to home in on you. I've raised my Strength stat from 10 to 15 already in about 45 minutes, which is pretty good. :)

I think the reason I hadn't been raising Strength before was that the menu says it raises attack power and physical defense, which is what dexterity raises too, as well as safe landing - so I think I've just been going for dexterity thinking it's the same benefits.

EasyMode said:
I've only seen a handful of people use hypermode at all, and none of them took advantage of the visual similarity of second chance's aura or the thief ring's ability to obscure ranged weapons.

Bollocks

Where can I find a good shield one that blocks magic or whatever it is to block those skeletons in world 4.
I'm SL35 now and never had that much problems up until now those enemies in that world are just a tad bit to much right now.
Also it seems I cant get past the black phantom in 3-1 leading to the demon ._.

Skullkid

Red Liquorice said:
OK, I've got into a nice little groove now of grinding souls from the reaper in 4-2. Basically hit him with 4/5 Soul Rays from above, then by the time I reach the bottom of the stairwell he's usually moved from his original position and is waiting at the bottom doorway, he takes just one, maybe two slashes with an enchanted weapon, then evac, rinse and repeat.

I used to grind here a lot too, and flame spells do more damage to the reaper so you may be able to take him out faster this way. You can also fall on the reaper from above (this stuns him) and immediately lock on and begin your two-handed swipes.

The next metal skeleton section is good to continue the grind. Cast Warding and move slowly down the cliff. One metal skeleton will roll off, giving you free souls. The other will come after you but is easily killed with a good two-handed sword. The gold skeletons give a lot of souls, so you may want to test the waters and see if you can take them out before evacuating. It's not really a big deal if you die on the cliff since you can get back to your bloodstain easily.

Bollocks said:
Where can I find a good shield one that blocks magic or whatever it is to block those skeletons in world 4.
I'm SL35 now and never had that much problems up until now those enemies in that world are just a tad bit to much right now.
Run...

Use some soul remains and the BP will target that. I know there are a few good ways to fight it that are listed on the Wiki. Personally I used soul remains and then shot an arrow in the direction that her arrow was coming from.

Dyno

Bollocks said:

Silver skeletons are blocked with Purple Flame Shield or Steel Shield, get them up to +10. Brushwood Shield or Tower Shield are also good, get them up to +5 with Colourless Demon Souls. Gold skeletons have a lot of power, they can even break the guard of these shields. Personally I like to use a weapon like Meat Cleaver or Great Sword on the GS because they're slow moving. Two hand the weapon and they will hit the floor. If they swing at you roll back along the path.

The phantom beams are easily blocked with the Dark Silver Shield. I never upgraded it and it still provide near-complete protection throughout many New Games. Carry both physical and magical shield in 4-2.

You need a shield to easily beat the 3-1 BP. A spear or rapier helps too because you can keep your shield up.

cj_iwakura

Rickenslacker said:
I really wish they had the Demon's Souls dynamic theme for sale outside of Japan. It looks so nice.

It's 200 yen as of yesterday. Do want. :(

Anyone actually bought it?

Also, yeah, I need that PBS help. Anyone up for it now? L76 now.

cj_iwakura

Okay, forging trophies I have left to get:

-Marrowstone
-Bladestone
-Suckerstone
-Moonlightstone
-Mercurystone
-Greystone
-Cloudstone

I'm having a hell of a time finding the Suckerstone & Bladestone chunks, as well as the Pure Bladestone. Any help would be much appreciated.

L80 character now.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
cj_iwakura said:
I'm having a hell of a time finding the Suckerstone & Bladestone chunks, as well as the Pure Bladestone. Any help would be much appreciated.

L80 character now.

A couple of people here could help you if you got in the SL120 range :p Farming for Pure Bladestone should get you there in no time.

The Dragon Demon's Soul can be used for either Firestorm or Fireball - which would be the most useful to get? (I haven't got to Yuria yet, but just asking for reference).

johntown

Banned
Red Liquorice said:
The Dragon Demon's Soul can be used for either Firestorm or Fireball - which would be the most useful to get? (I haven't got to Yuria yet, but just asking for reference).
Personally, I like Firestorm better but they both have their advantages.

johntown

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Okay, forging trophies I have left to get:

-Marrowstone
-Bladestone
-Suckerstone
-Moonlightstone
-Mercurystone
-Greystone
-Cloudstone

L80 character now.
I can help you with the Suckerstone if you can make it in the 120 range. If you have beat 4-2 get PBWT and go backwards and kill all those slugs. It took me maybe 10-15 runs before I had enough Suckstone.

Good luck with the Bladestone.....I had someone dupe it for me.

cj_iwakura

Any advice on the Chunks for Sucker and Blade? The slugs and skeletons only seem to drop Shards.

Also, this is my third character. :p Maybe my 125 original can do it, come to think of it. I'll check.

oracrest

Red Liquorice said:

Firestorm is the big, area of effect spell, right? If so, that ones really helpful on the lizard nest.

oracrest said:
Firestorm is the big, area of effect spell, right? If so, that ones really helpful on the lizard nest.

God's wrath is more helpful in the lizards nest since it will hit them all consistently whereas the fire pillars of firestorm can miss them but I think he'd need to bump his faith up to 16 or get the ring of devout prayer to use it. Red, have you rescued Urbain yet?

cj_iwakura said:
Any advice on the Chunks for Sucker and Blade? The slugs and skeletons only seem to drop Shards.

Also, this is my third character. :p Maybe my 125 original can do it, come to think of it. I'll check.

Chunks drop more often with black world tendency is the only advice I have. I'll see if I have any spares with my character that's in summoning range of your SL125 one.

EDIT I've got 5 suckerstone chunks and 28 bladestone chunks if you want them.

electroshockwave said:
God's wrath is more helpful in the lizards nest since it will hit them all consistently whereas the fire pillars of firestorm can miss them but I think he'd need to bump his faith up to 16 or get the ring of devout prayer to use it. Red, have you rescued Urbain yet?
I haven't yet and re: crystal lizards, well I've kind of given up on them. Maybe NG+ I'll try harder.

Curse those holes in 3-1. I've fallen down each one, and it was always by choice. Twice I thought, I could make this jump, and I call to my death. Once it just lead me to a level I have gone to previously. The problem I have now is, after I found the sage, I am stuck. I don't know where to go and all the doors are locked. I reexplore the stage but I havn't found any new keys.

Helpz!

johntown

Banned
Anslon said:
Curse those holes in 3-1. I've fallen down each one, and it was always by choice. Twice I thought, I could make this jump, and I call to my death. Once it just lead me to a level I have gone to previously. The problem I have now is, after I found the sage, I am stuck. I don't know where to go and all the doors are locked. I reexplore the stage but I havn't found any new keys.

Helpz!
You need the Warden's Key. It is on a dead body near the machine that shoot arrows.

Anslon said:

Helpz!

You're probably missing the staircase right before the sage it's hard to see and if you miss it you'll be 100% stuck.

*Once you find the sage back track to the nearest staircase you used (should be very close) then look at it carefully. You'll see 2 sets of stairs and the road not taken...

Knight77

Guys I need an advice:

I just finished 3-1 killing (has been quite hard...) the Idol's Fool boss. Now I have around 9.000 souls that can use. Do you suggest to level up some ability or use those souls for magic and miracles. About that now I have only Heal (that cannot use because I miss one item) and Soul Ray, or how is called, given by Sage in exchange of the boss soul.

Any suggestion is appreciated also because I don't know what is expecting me and which kind of enemies I'll face now.

Thank you!

P.S. I also would like to upgrade my weapon (now is Long Sword +3) but cannot find anymore the stone required.

Grinchy

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
3-1 is a nightmare when you don't understand it, and a cinch once you do.
Yeah no kidding. Even after my first playthrough, enough time had passed that I had forgotten the way and got lost all over again. It's a really cool level, but I feel like I've seen too much of it. Now I secretly love 5-2. I should really make a character specifically built to invade there.

cj_iwakura

I really hope they keep the servers going. As it is, it's a great single player game and a multiplayer one, for totally different reasons. I love bumrushing a boss with a host and coordinating attacks against it.

Grinchy said:
Yeah no kidding. Even after my first playthrough, enough time had passed that I had forgotten the way and got lost all over again. It's a really cool level, but I feel like I've seen too much of it. Now I secretly love 5-2. I should really make a character specifically built to invade there.
Regeneration (to counteract the swamp), thief ring (to block lock-on), and ranged magic, like soul ray, firespray or even better, homing soul arrow. The either won't be able to run away or roll (swamp) or if they do, they'll roll off a high ledge into a shitty area or death. :D

I had an odd thing happen in 1-3, I got to the area where you raise the gate, but there was no Fat Official there, the one with the cap. I eventually went to the Nexus, and came back and he was dead with his cap there waiting to be picked up. Ostrava was also not there, I don't remember him dying at any point and definately rescued him in 1-1 and 1-2.

I also realised I'd already used the Dragon Demon's Soul for God's Miracle, when I'd wanted it for one of the fire spells. Grrrrrr! There's so much to keep track of!

1-3 is a great level, I love the design of going up and down small passages and how the game uses space, it's not a case of going along long corridors or areas from A to B, I really like how you can see earlier parts of the level from further on, or they're just over a wall, whatever, really well thought out.

EasyMode

Knight77 said:
Guys I need an advice:

I just finished 3-1 killing (has been quite hard...) the Idol's Fool boss. Now I have around 9.000 souls that can use. Do you suggest to level up some ability or use those souls for magic and miracles. About that now I have only Heal (that cannot use because I miss one item) and Soul Ray, or how is called, given by Sage in exchange of the boss soul.

Any suggestion is appreciated also because I don't know what is expecting me and which kind of enemies I'll face now.

Thank you!

P.S. I also would like to upgrade my weapon (now is Long Sword +3) but cannot find anymore the stone required.
I would spend most of those souls on leveling, but you can't go wrong with buying the flame toss spell. It's an effective spell against plenty of enemies, including those mind flayers in 3-1.

There's a lot of stone to be found in 2-1 and 2-2, and there's a guy in both levels who will sell you shards.

Red Liquorice said:
1-3 is a great level, I love the design of going up and down small passages and how the game uses space, it's not a case of going along long corridors or areas from A to B, I really like how you can see earlier parts of the level from further on, or they're just over a wall, whatever, really well thought out.
My favorite level, gameplay wise :)

Knight77

EasyMode said:
I would spend most of those souls on leveling, but you can't go wrong with buying the flame toss spell. It's an effective spell against plenty of enemies, including those mind flayers in 3-1.

There's a lot of stone to be found in 2-1 and 2-2, and there's a guy in both levels who will sell you shards.

My favorite level, gameplay wise :)

Who's the guy selling them in 2-1 ? I need Hardstone Shards... lots of them :-D

But, since I still didn't tried it, to use spells do I need any object (like for miracles) or not?

EasyMode

Knight77 said:

But, since I still didn't tried it, to use spells do I need any object (like for miracles) or not?
The filthy man sells shards of hardstone and sharpstone near the beginning of 2-1 just before the bridge.

You need to equip a catalyst to use spells. If you picked up the items lying around 3-1 then you should already have one.

johntown

Banned
Knight77 said:

He is right after the Archstone right as you come up the stairs just keep going straight and you will run right into him.

Personally, I think it is easier and cheaper to just do runs through 2-1, 2-2.

Red Liquorice said:
I had an odd thing happen in 1-3, I got to the area where you raise the gate, but there was no Fat Official there, the one with the cap. I eventually went to the Nexus, and came back and he was dead with his cap there waiting to be picked up. Ostrava was also not there, I don't remember him dying at any point and definately rescued him in 1-1 and 1-2.

I also realised I'd already used the Dragon Demon's Soul for God's Miracle, when I'd wanted it for one of the fire spells. Grrrrrr! There's so much to keep track of!

Were you playing with a blue phantom in 1-3? I think there might be a bug where Ostrava isn't at the gate when you open it if you've summoned someone. Sometimes I even hear a red eye knight fighting somewhere but I can never find it.

patsu

Amazing that people are still pushing through Boletaria every day. ^_^
Warms my heart big time.

If someone from Sony is reading... please, please patch in 3D support for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I'd so love to see them.

EasyMode

electroshockwave said:
Were you playing with a blue phantom in 1-3? I think there might be a bug where Ostrava isn't at the gate when you open it if you've summoned someone. Sometimes I even hear a red eye knight fighting somewhere but I can never find it.
I've seen that bug too, and only in Co-op. You can hear the red eye knights fighting someone up above. That would suck if Ostrava got killed up there.

No, I was playing offline at the time.

I have been in the level loads of times and died, but never got past the second flaming stoneball before (just up the stairs after the first Fat Official) - nowhere really near the otherside of the gate. I had invaded as a BP a few days ago in 1-3, but got killed almost immediately where the dogs are.

oracrest

Bollocks said:

For the shield you want, head over to world 5, and play through the whole archstone. That one is unique, and relatively easy for a lower level character to deal with. At the end, you get the best shield for dealing with those guys.

If that's too much, try and thief ring it, and run past the phantoms, straight to the reaper. If you can withstand a single hit, those beams only hit you once, even though the arc and duration looks long...

johntown

Banned
oracrest said:
For the shield you want, head over to world 5, and play through the whole archstone. That one is unique, and relatively easy for a lower level character to deal with. At the end, you get the best shield for dealing with those guys.

If that's too much, try and thief ring it, and run past the phantoms, straight to the reaper. If you can withstand a single hit, those beams only hit you once, even though the arc and duration looks long...
For the second reaper if he goes in the door and goes to the right edge and rolls off......he can bypass the phantoms and kill the reaper......or just run past it altogether.

When you roll you will land on a small ledge.....right above the reaper.

cj_iwakura

Blade trophy get. Four left: Moonlight(not sure how to get those chunks :( ), Mercury(should be easy), and Grey(just a couple chunks away).

And of course the dreaded 'get all weapon' trophy. I just need to fuse the prereqs, which will be hell.

If anyone can help with the Moonlights or whatever, that'd be great. SL 91ish now.

Joei

A friend of mine just started playing this the other day and I was talking to him and he was so frustrated... he was like, dude, I like the game and all, but I keep f'n dying. WTF man... so I went over to his place and helped show him how to play through some of the first level. I was so addicted playing again, lol. This game is still unbelievable. I'm going to HAVE to give it one more run through before Dark Souls is released.

Top Bottom