• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

DryvBy2 said:
Hopefully someone can help with this... I'm about to go through New Game+ but I wanted to get a few items before venturing forth. One person I'm having difficult finding is Mephistopheles in the Nexus. I know where she should be and know I need to be Pure Black, which I'm assuming I should be since I've killed several NPCs. But how do I check for sure? Will the character icon glow black or just be really dark in the menu?

Also, should I be in soul form to see her?

Use the broken 6th archstone as reference for black tendency color of your character tendency statue. If your at the end, there are a number of minor merchants you can "use" for this quest, and save the main characters that are directly involved with her requests.

Beezy

fredrancour said:
I don't think that there's a recommended order. I didn't touch world 5 til after I was done with 2,3, and 4 completely, and I felt madly overlevelled, so maybe now would be a good time for 5-1? 3-2 is also not that hard.

Okay, I'll do 3-2 or 5-1. I felt overleveled when playing through 3-1, but the stage seriously creeped me out so I was on edge all the time. I'm assuming that 3-2 is more of the same or probably even more creepy. I don't wanna deal with that again right now. :(

johntown

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Kick ass! Good job. I have a few more runs through NG+, ++, and +++ to get all my spells and rings then I'll have it too.
Nice and good luck!

I am at 1-4 in NG+++ and it seems like the game keeps getting easier and easier. I purposely play in body form the whole time just to challenge BP's so I can get my skill level in PVP up and ready for Dark Souls.

Is it just me or do some of these PVP fights after SL120 seem to just drag on forever?

I have one more run on NG++++ to get my last trophy for spells. I only need to do worlds 3 and 5 and I will be done.

johntown

Banned
Beezy said:
Okay, I'll do 3-2 or 5-1. I felt overleveled when playing through 3-1, but the stage seriously creeped me out so I was on edge all the time. I'm assuming that 3-2 is more of the same or probably even more creepy. I don't wanna deal with that again right now. :(
You may feel a little over leveled in world 5 for the majority of enemies. There are several though that can give you a rough time and 5-2 is just a huge pain in the ass if you have never done it before.

If this is your first run through the game I would def do world 5 last.

EasyMode said:
Were you using second chance? It sounded like it, but I wasn't sure if you could use that with hyper mode. Could you share your build? I wanna deal out the lameness on my next playthrough. The death cloud was a nice touch too... haha
Yep, second chance is only blocked when using warding and hidden soul, and vice versa, iirc. It is pretty much a vital part of the build and often lets me absorb a hit when finishing someone off. Death cloud is nice when I'm trying to ID the number of people I'm up against, as it shows the invisible dudes for my arrows and lets me see where people are running about on the map :D

SL: 45
Class: Royal
VIT: 8
INT: 15
END: 8
STR: 15 (just enough to 2H the Hiltless and Composite bow)
DEX: 36
MAG:18
FTH: 18
LCK: 7

Items/Weps I use:
Hiltless - Useful against pole users (backstep 2x and lunge, or 'run away' and flip to do a running strike). I only have enough STR to 2H the weapon so I can hit things to lower my health back down to hyper mode numbers quickly or in an emergency. Does about 1k a hit
Makoto Blade - Slow HP adjustment when needed
Northern Regalia - Putting on the hurt through shields/staggering, around 1300-1400 dmg
Morion Blade - Always on my back

Sticky Composite Bow - White, Heavy, and Holy arrows. I messed with fire arrows for a while but it required too much arrow switching depending on the shield I was trying to penetrate. Holy Arrows get the point across just the same.
Blind +5 - Kind of junk without the hyper boost, though this is probably my favorite weapon to mess around with. Hitting a phantom through a dark silver shield for 480 dmg never gets old lol. Is it just me or does everyone and their mother have the dark silver nowadays?

Clever Rat's Ring
Talisman of Beasts
Thief Ring - To hide arrow use at long range... Vital! :D
Regenerator's Ring

Spells/Magic: Second Chance, Death Cloud

Kind of a hard build to work up to, but once you get a sticky bow it becomes cake. Most everything in the game will die in one hit (1k+ damage with heavy arrows, 600+ with holy, 1000+ melee), bosses fall quickly, and you can create a barrier for yourself against invaders with death cloud, giving yourself enough time to switch out to a better melee weapon. Invading with this will guarantee hate mail.

Nice use of the crescent axe (I think?) by the way, much more annoying in pvp than the mirdan hammer, which is kind of easy to backstep+lunge against.

johntown

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Blind +5 - Kind of junk without the hyper boost, though this is probably my favorite weapon to mess around with. Hitting a phantom through a dark silver shield for 480 dmg never gets old lol. Is it just me or does everyone and their mother have the dark silver nowadays?
Yes almost every PVP battle I have been in lately the other player has the Dark Silver shield.

Don't get me wrong I have it for my off hand shield just in case I get invaded by a pure magic user but most people want to use weapons so I use my trusty Purple Flame Shield +10.

I like starting my PVP battles with death cloud too but lately around my current SL it is useless.

I could see the stamina handicap being potentially useful at just about any level, not sure how well it would work out in actual battle. For invading it is awesome, people often stand just outside of the cloud which lets me pick them off :D

I might join the DSS myself lol, the only real consistent weak point in my build is buffed firespray use and this would help a bit.

johntown

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
I could see the stamina handicap being potentially useful at just about any level, not sure how well it would work out in actual battle. For invading it is awesome, people often stand just outside of the cloud which lets me pick them off :D

I might join the DSS myself lol, the only real consistent weak point in my build is buffed firespray use and this would help a bit.
Death Cloud creates a stamina handicap?

I always carry at least one or two Widow's Lotus anytime I am in body form just in case someone tries to use that.

I only use the DSS if I am fighting someone who only uses magic. Otherwise, the magic penalty is enough for me not to use it.

johntown said:
Death Cloud creates a stamina handicap?

I always carry at least one or two Widow's Lotus anytime I am in body form just in case someone tries to use that.

I only use the DSS if I am fighting someone who only uses magic. Otherwise, the magic penalty is enough for me not to use it.
Yeah, the cloud does penalize stamina regen, I'm not sure exactly to what degree. I don't use magic at all so I'm not concerned about the DSS in that regard.

I should probably find a better way to deal with firespray with my tools but nothing is really coming to mind, aside from death cloud and running away to a narrow area for arrow poking. Might just be worth restoring to full life and charging; by the time I get there I'll probably be near my hypermode health anyway lol.

EasyMode

macuser1of5 said:
Build stuff...
Nice, another build to kill some time with until Dark Souls. I never really used arrows much before so it'll be a nice change of pace.

Dark silver shields do seem popular, at least in 4-2 where it makes sense.

Yeah that was a blessed crescent axe. I like abusing hyper armor moves. The mirdan hammer gets more use in PvE or against shield users.

I knew about the 4.1 rolling trick (before the first fog); apparently you can just run up the side lol, looks much easier. Also, he STANDS on Yurt's cage as it lowers. Crazy. I feel badass when I do this in 3 hours or so; this is amazing.

edit: OMG at the 4.2 loading trick (video 3, 6:15). how the fuck.

Vitten

Awesome vids. so much stuff that could go wrong when playing in hyper mode nearly all the time and one hit is game over. Really liked riding Yurt's cage like a boss in 3-2, so going to try that out later today in coop.

Not a big fan of all the glitch crap that goes on in part 3 though. o_O

johntown

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Every second counts! I especially like his running attacks in 5.2 to get through the swamp more quickly.
I recently used the shortcut to the Adjudicator that he used in 4-1 and I was invaded and the BP was unable to locate me and gave up........I guess he did not know about that one.

johntown said:
Lots of glitch abuse in that run. The one in 2-1 was the best. What was the point of getting on top of the cage?

So you can roll off, instead of waiting for the whole open close animation which takes a life time.

Vitten

macuser1of5 said:
OMG at the 4.2 loading trick (video 3, 6:15). how the fuck.

Just managed to do it myself. Just rolled of the cliff like in the vid and hit reload as fast as I could before I got the 'You died' message. The game then reloaded my character on the lower plain like in the vid. Pretty cool walking around down there..
left an "I'm lost "message on the EU server :)

MechaX

Wow, World 5 sucks.

But man, I see all of these people running around with super long samurai swords and Final Fantasy buster swords and I'm kinda jealous (even though I'm perfectly comfortable with the sword + shield + bow approach).

Just finished watching that speed run. Fantastic use of glitches. Old Hero and Armor spider were not killed though. Did glitching past them auto kill the boss but not give him the soul?

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Just finished watching that speed run. Fantastic use of glitches. Old Hero and Armor spider were not killed though. Did glitching past them auto kill the boss but not give him the soul?

It probably just bypassed them. Many of the games later unlocks are probably based off primeval demon defeats anyway, so it wouldn't matter that they are alive. Just a guess...

johntown

Banned
I invaded someone last night and they sent me a message over PSN asking for help? Has anyone else ever had this happen? Needless to say I wiped him and the blue phantom out.

Then I got invaded and the guy sent me a message saying he was here to help. Needless to say I did not need help and did not really trust him anyway so I fireballed his ass. Strangely both of these things happened within mintues of each other in 1-4.

If I invade someone it's because I want to fight. If I lay a blue stone then I want to help. If someone invades me I assume they want to fight......not help me.

So has anyone here actually helped someone out as BP and not backstabbed or killed them later?

DryvBy

Special Key, I'm in Tower 3-1, in the area a map says it should be but nothing. Is it on the body of the dregling that I killed when I first cleared this tower?

I always thought it was weird that the camera followed you all the way down if you fell of that particular cliff in 4-2 but it never occurred to me to load my save as I fell.

DryvBy2 said:
Special Key, I'm in Tower 3-1, in the area a map says it should be but nothing. Is it on the body of the dregling that I killed when I first cleared this tower?

The key is on the wall beside the dregling that you can talk to.

johntown said:
I invaded someone last night and they sent me a message over PSN asking for help? Has anyone else ever had this happen? Needless to say I wiped him and the blue phantom out.

Then I got invaded and the guy sent me a message saying he was here to help. Needless to say I did not need help and did not really trust him anyway so I fireballed his ass. Strangely both of these things happened within mintues of each other in 1-4.

If I invade someone it's because I want to fight. If I lay a blue stone then I want to help. If someone invades me I assume they want to fight......not help me.

So has anyone here actually helped someone out as BP and not backstabbed or killed them later?

If I invade it's usually because I want to fight but if the host doesn't seem interested in it or seems like they're just trying to make their way through the level it's not very interesting for me so I might help out and get them to kill me. Once when I invaded someone in 1-4 they seemed to be stuck in front of the blue dragon so I told them to kill me and summon me as a blue since I couldn't lock on to it as a BP.

Bowler said:
hi macuser.....

sorry for killing you when you invaded....

:)

(psn= Droozy)

thats awesome i found another gaffer though.
Was this last night? I don't remember what I did; if I was friendly or not lol.

And occasionally I will invade and help or just dick around, though I'm getting kind of bored with it. Got my PWCT back so it's coop for now.

oracrest

johntown said:

Yeah. I was exploiting the Primeval Demon trick, and had to be killed as an invader. So, to have some fun with it, I tried helping them out.

You can see it here.

I personally love doing happy BP runs, although I have done very few. There is something challenging for me to try and convince someone that I am there just to help when my Demon red character is in their world. It puts them on edge.

There have been a few times that I killed an invader who then wanted my blue phantom help in their game. I developed a rather effective strategy as a mage when PvPing. I cast the 5 floating orbs spell, and then just run headlong towards them, and roll right past them. Most people lock in PvP, but I don't. It allows me to roll without the camera spinning out of control, and then when the spell goes off, it fires all 5 right into their back. Usually a 1 hit kill. I'm sure seasoned PvPers would learn to deal with it easily over time, but it works great if you know the firing delay of that spell, and can just get behind them when it fires.

oracrest said:
I personally love doing happy BP runs, although I have done very few. There is something challenging for me to try and convince someone that I am there just to help when my Demon red character is in their world. It puts them on edge.
This is more fun than invading for me, IMO. The best is when you have three people chasing you while you clear the level out in front of them. Especially fun in 1.3 since there are a lot of places to jump/evade attacks.

Vitten said:
Just managed to do it myself. Just rolled of the cliff like in the vid and hit reload as fast as I could before I got the 'You died' message. The game then reloaded my character on the lower plain like in the vid. Pretty cool walking around down there..
left an "I'm lost "message on the EU server :)

I just gave it a try about 10 times.. cant get it to work :/

Anything special you need to do/equip?

Vitten

NarcissisticJay said:
I just gave it a try about 10 times.. cant get it to work :/

Anything special you need to do/equip?

You need to equip the cat's ring.

Tried it some more and got better at it.. works about half the time now.
Best is to follow the guy's example and slowly walk of the cliff just to the left of the pole. Then quickly bring up your profile screen while falling but wait like a small second or so before actually reloading. If you reload too fast you'll just start back on top of the cliff behind the black skeleton.
It's easiest if you use your top profile so you don't waste time scrolling down in the character screen. Put a 'Try falling through' and 'welcome' message there on the US server

MechaX

Whoa. The boss of World 2 was actually kinda epic (if a bit anticlimatic, if that makes sense). I got extremely lucky and ended up netting the Dragon Bone Smasher somehow. Good thing too, because I don't think I would have even progressed in certain sections of this fight without a weapon just like it. But now I can run around pretending I'm Guts from Berserk with this huge ass thing.

Time to check to see if I have any other good World Tendancies.

Hey everyone, I know I haven't updated in a while but I was busy with some other things so took a break from Demon's Souls for a bit.

So I went to 4-1 and they have these skeletons...ok time to fight! ...Wait...they can flip around? What the hell?

So at first they give me some trouble but eventually I make my through, they appear to be weak against fire attacks and also blunt attacks so a hammer type weapon is the way to go. (Too bad I didn't realize that for AGES so many play through sessions haha)

So I go to run into the castle and...there is an arrow trap? God damnit! So back again use my shield to block but you can also run back out and dodge it seems. So there is this HUGE guy with an axe or something in the middle of the castle, so my cowardly tactics come into play again and I just rain down on him with arrows from atop the castle walls for about 10 mins and finally kill him haha.

String rays are annoying...but wait...I can lock on to them...and Soul Ray seem to tear them up, nice. The enemies in this place give you TONS of souls compared to everywhere else. So I come across a black dual katana skeleton with glowing red eyes...yeah I'm not fighting him up close, fuck that! Magic it is from a distance and kill him.

Also found a tree with someone caw-ing about some shit, but wouldn't come down and couldn't figure out how to interact with him...WT event maybe? Or maybe if I un-equip my weapons he might come down? No idea but I didn't stick around long enough to try anything.

So went underground through some secret tunnels or something, found graverobber merchant, and opened his cage. Anyway back up and past some enemies there is a small cliff walkway and some gold skeletons, yeah spells from a distance please!

During this playthrough I found a few things, Adjudicator's Shield which has a HP regen effect which also seems to stack with the Regenerator Ring. Crescent Falchion+1 which is a magical weapon but also has a magic stat boost of "A". Now I'm assuming that if I have that equiped in my right hand and a catalyst in my left, will my magic be stronger if I cast it due to the "A" stat bonus or does it not work that way? Also this weapon has a slow regen of MP.

Probably found some other things but this was all a few days ago so I forget now. So I make it to the boss:
The Adjudicator. Can't see him at first so I stand around for a sec confused and start to walk down the stairs, BLAM death by tongue attack! WTF happened?

So repeat again, this time I read messages that say to use fire on him, so ok I assume I have to use Flame Toss on him. So I make it to the bottom, try to use my spell but for some reason it can't reach his head and my target keeps auto locking onto all of his other body parts, I try to melee him a bit but my attacks bounce off him.

So I manage to keep dodging his tongue attack and meat cleaver and hit him in the head with Flame Toss when his head is a bit lower from time to time. But dead again when he has 1/4 HP left. Fuck.

So I repeat this a few times and seem to keep dying..."what the hell is going on? Why is he so hard" I keep thinking to myself.

So I look it up on youtube out of frustration after dying so many times to see if there is something I'm missing.....and it turns out I was being an idiot by concentrating so much on spells I didn't even look to see that his right side is injured/weak...ffs why the hell didn't I notice this??

So I go back again and this time use the correct tactic, when his head comes down I activate black turpentine for added damage as he is weak against fire, BLAM mega damage, repeat about 2 more times and he's dead...FINALLY! How did such a weakling give me so much trouble?

So went back to the nexus, powered up a bit and now I can use Demonbrandt! Yes!

So off I go to 5-1 which I had previously been too but for some reason thought it was 4-1, if you have been following my progress you'll remember my impressions. So I follow the same basic tactics, use a crossbow on the insect things to prevent poison.

Make my way through without too much hassle and then it's on to the boss!

I enter the fog gate and am greeted by a cutscene that makes this thing seem like a real pain in the ass/epic monster.

I'm standing on the other side and he's miles away and can't hit me, so I decide "Hmm that's odd, oh well arrows it is!"

But wait...he's regenerating after 1 or 2 hits? Fuck looks like I have to go down...

I make my way down only getting hit once by his leech balls that he fires all over the place. Now I'm right in front of him with Demonbrandt 2-handed and start slashing away...although for some reason I can't activate my black turpentine, but no bother.

Turns out this guy is the easiest boss so far, killed him in a few hits without dying first try! Well I had to redeem myself after my abysmal performance against the Adjudicator haha. Damn this guy was easy.

So now I'm trying to figure out where to go next. 5-1 has such a pitiful amount of souls from each enemy, especially after coming from 4-1, I'll probably head to 3-2 and see what happens from there.

Ryujin said:
Also found a tree with someone caw-ing about some shit, but wouldn't come down and couldn't figure out how to interact with him...WT event maybe? Or maybe if I un-equip my weapons he might come down? No idea but I didn't stick around long enough to try anything.
That's Sparkly the crow, if you drop certain items there you can trade with her. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/crow Remember you can only trade one item at a time and you can only trade each item once. Getting the colourless demon's souls from her are probably the most valuable as you can upgrade your Adjudicator's shield and other unique weapons with them.

During this playthrough I found a few things, Adjudicator's Shield which has a HP regen effect which also seems to stack with the Regenerator Ring. Crescent Falchion+1 which is a magical weapon but also has a magic stat boost of "A". Now I'm assuming that if I have that equiped in my right hand and a catalyst in my left, will my magic be stronger if I cast it due to the "A" stat bonus or does it not work that way? Also this weapon has a slow regen of MP.

The stat bonus means that damage will be added to your attacks with that weapon based on how high your magic stat is. The "+n" numbers in the stat screen show the stat based added damage. It won't make your spells more powerful but there is a weapon in 2-1, the Kris blade, that does.

I make my way down only getting hit once by his leech balls that he fires all over the place. Now I'm right in front of him with Demonbrandt 2-handed and start slashing away...although for some reason I can't activate my black turpentine, but no bother.
Quite a lot of weapons can't be enchanted with items like turpentine and sticky white stuff or spells. The list is here: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/enchant

DryvBy

I'm trying to Platinum this sucker, but I need a little help. For a few weapons, I need to get White World. Is it best to do this in Offline mode? And what's the quickest ways to get the worlds to white/black? Also characters?

Last, I'm playing as a Barbarian and I know I need to learn spells for a couple of trophies. I can get the spells, but do I need to memorize them for the trophy?

Top Bottom