• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Bollocks

Just beat 1-3, damn that level was frustrating. I hate those assassins, maybe I should play in body form and invest in some health, vitality right now at 13 so I can take some hits ._.
Also made sure that Ostrava stays alive, on to the last rescue.

After that I think I'll give world 5 a visit and get me this shield.

What surprised me was that I got killed, made my way halfway back when my internet connection died, I thought like great all my souls gone but when I loaded the game my blood stain was still there :)

e: Also what's better to use the Dragon Demon's Soul for? Firestorm or Gods Wrath?

Three trophies left until plat. Spells, Miracles, and Rings. Need 1 miracle, 3 rings, and several spells (i.e. all demon's souls spells from Yuria and Freke). I think rings will be my last one as I don't really want to go PBCT until I am done with the rest to get that Foe's ring.

Suprisingly it was 3-1 that has given me the most trouble in NG+ this time... 4 and 5 are completely done (working backwards this time) and very easy too. Hopefully tonight I can shoot my way through 3-2 and 3-3 and get my last miracle then its off to grinding for spells.

cj_iwakura

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Three trophies left until plat. Spells, Miracles, and Rings. Need 1 miracle, 3 rings, and several spells (i.e. all demon's souls spells from Yuria and Freke). I think rings will be my last one as I don't really want to go PBCT until I am done with the rest to get that Foe's ring.

Suprisingly it was 3-1 that has given me the most trouble in NG+ this time... 4 and 5 are completely done (working backwards this time) and very easy too. Hopefully tonight I can shoot my way through 3-2 and 3-3 and get my last miracle then its off to grinding for spells.

I have five left: Moonlight, Mercury, Greystone, Cloudstone, and Weapons. I think weapons is going to be the hardest.

How do you get Chunks of Cloudstone, anyway? Even at PBBT, the mantas never drop them.

cj_iwakura said:
How do you get Chunks of Cloudstone, anyway? Even at PBBT, the mantas never drop them.
I was more farming souls in 4-4 archstone and have LSoS in my offhand and stormruler two-handed and just kill all mantas then grab all the drops. After a few runs I had enough to upgrade my dark knight shield. I did have PWWT when I was soul farming. I think LSoS helped a bunch. The only stones I had real trouble farming was chunks of marrowstone, and Pure Moonlightstone. Just keep at it, you'll get them soon.

Bollocks

LeCapitan said:
Unless you need to kill all the lizards in the Lizard pit in 2-2, I would go for Firestorm.
haha, this is actually the reason why I asked, God's Wrath is it then.
How do you effectively clear the pit?
Do you need to cloak yourself/thief's ring and cast it from the bottom or can you cast it from above?

Bollocks said:
haha, this is actually the reason why I asked, God's Wrath is it then.
How do you effectively clear the pit?
Do you need to cloak yourself/thief's ring and cast it from the bottom or can you cast it from above?
I run in and fall to the bottom and cast as soon as I land. Gets them all as they run away from me.

MechaX

Despite owning this game since I first bought my PS3 last Christmas, I finally decided to give this game a fair try after convincing a couple of my friends to try it out as well.

It... went pretty disastrously, actually. It took them well beyond two hours (three+ in one case) to get past the tutorial boss and they were actually seething with anger. I'm talking like legitimately pissed at me for convincing them to buy the game, wasting their time, and were already vowing to sell/never return to the game. So... the entire "actually try to play it with friends because I'm sure there are a lot of griefers out there that would only ensure me not actually trying to get over the learning curve" angle is shot.

But speaking of grief, right when I stepped into my first actual world (the tunnel one), someone immediately invades my game. I'm thinking "eh, it's part of the experience, and it can't be that bad". Them comes some red phantom with a shield bigger than his entire body one-shotting every enemy in his path (that took at least three hits for me to defeat), and then promptly one-shots me. So now I'm body-less. Again.

I don't know. I'll probably still try to play through it, but so far the curve is like trying to penetrate a brick wall with your own head; yeah, you may do some damage to the wall, but what state would I even be in afterwards?

Yo Gotti

Banned
MechaX said:

Don't even sweat it.

You're supposed to die at the tutorial boss. Unless you're talking about Phalanx, and if it took 2-3 hours to beat Phalanx, it was much needed experience. If you read the notes on the floor and picked up enough stuff from dropped enemies on your way there, he should have been a breeze.

As for the Black Phantom, if you're in body form you're going to get invaded. You usually have the upper hand at lower levels I've found. Get the Cling Ring and take advantage of the extra damage you do in soul form.

Either way, you've barely scratched the surface of the game. Combat gets easier and easier the further you go.

Bollocks

Just killed the blue dragon, took me an hour lol
At first I shot arrows then I ran out of them so I cast soul ray, of course I had nothing to replenish my MP so I just let it charge with the ring.
As I let it charge I made myself something to eat, occasionally checked back and then I saw that a black phantom was standing right in front of me, I was like no fuck you, he ran behind me and back stabbed killed me but I was quick enough to disconnect from the PSN. Upon reloading I was still in body form and underneath the dragon, but the dragon had full health again and I had to use whats available, magic with fragrant/magical sharpness ring, 20 hit points each time, quite tedious/time consuming but it's done now :)

Also I bought the gold plate armor and I noticed that you either can't roll or if you can the controller is vibrating and it takes more time to get up. Is this something that can be improved so that I can roll with medium armor just like I'm used to with light armor?

Bollocks said:
Also I bought the gold plate armor and I noticed that you either can't roll or if you can the controller is vibrating and it takes more time to get up. Is this something that can be improved so that I can roll with medium armor just like I'm used to with light armor?

Raise your endurance or use the Ring of Great Strength. If you are over 50% of your equip burden you'll roll slower. If you completely go over your equip burden you will lose the ability to roll or run.

MechaX

Alpha-Bromega said:
MechaX this is my advice; "Endure, and in enduring grow strong"

Seems like that may be my only choice. But man, tell that one to my friends at this point!

Yo Gotti said:
Don't even sweat it.

You're supposed to die at the tutorial boss. Unless you're talking about Phalanx, and if it took 2-3 hours to beat Phalanx, it was much needed experience. If you read the notes on the floor and picked up enough stuff from dropped enemies on your way there, he should have been a breeze.

As for the Black Phantom, if you're in body form you're going to get invaded. You usually have the upper hand at lower levels I've found. Get the Cling Ring and take advantage of the extra damage you do in soul form.

Either way, you've barely scratched the surface of the game. Combat gets easier and easier the further you go.

It actually took friend 1 and I probably an hour or to to reach Phalanx, beating him on the first try (I was a knight, he was a magician). My other friend on the other hand, picked a Wanderer where he took all damage, both of his weapons broke, got schooled by the red lancer on the section of 1-1 that you're not supposed to go in, and took probably an hour to beat Phalanx because he had no turpentine/bombs.

As for invasion, I'll probably just go soul form for the most part. I was mistakenly told that dying in soul form means you lose your entire character (which is exceedingly masochistic, even for a game like this). But if it's just losing soul currency, I can plan around that much better.

Yeah, once you come to terms with losing souls rather than items, death becomes more annoying than tragic. For your first playthrough it is pretty easy to level up without excessive grinding/etc.

I tried getting one of my friends into the game and I think in 2.1 he was invaded and all his gear was destroyed lol :(

Bankoiia

oracrest said:
alternalw (the amazing speedrun dude) posted some new videos. Seems like it's BP focused. I haven't watched all of them yet. Could anyone fluent in Japanese do a rough translation of what the text says?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FyHuqnJXKM&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FyHuqnJXKM&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httYts_66IA&sns=em
I'm not fluent in japanese, but this seems to be the gist of it.

"We will hold a meeting on September 3rd to confirm participants for our inoffical Demon's Souls tournament. I will make sure the rules are easy to understand, so please check the bullentin board. Videos will be recorded of the event. We are still accepting new competitors so check out the details over at, http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/netgame/9108/"

The third video is appearently a promotional video for said event.

cj_iwakura

Question: for the weapon trophy, do I have to still have the weapons in my possession? I.E. if I gave the Phosphorescent Pole to Sparkly, and traded out the Bramd, but I had them at one point.

Just gotta upgrade four weapons to become the Demon Weapons, and I should be good. I've already gotten all the 'collectible' ones. (That and Cloud, Mercury, Moon, and Grey's upgrades...)

If anyone wants to help, my character's in the 90 range. (Lots of Hards needed, and Clouds and Moon are the killers for the upgrades.)

cj_iwakura

Three times farming 4-4, and still no Cloudstone chunks. :( SL 102 now, if anyone wants to hook me up. Those, Pure Moonlight, and a Mercury chunk or two, and I'm golden.

Johnas

cj_iwakura said:
Question: for the weapon trophy, do I have to still have the weapons in my possession? I.E. if I gave the Phosphorescent Pole to Sparkly, and traded out the Bramd, but I had them at one point.

You're OK, you just have to at least had them in your possession at one point.

cj_iwakura said:
Three times farming 4-4, and still no Cloudstone chunks. :( SL 102 now, if anyone wants to hook me up.

That was the worst part of the game for me, worse than Pure Bladestone in fact. You can only get them from those mantas (apart from the 2 you can find on the corpse in that same area) and the tricky part is making sure the mantas don't die over those large boulders or off the side of the cliff, if they do and they drop an item, you can't reach it.

Having the Large Sword of Searching in your off-hand apparently makes a difference. The whole ordeal was made more difficult for me as I chose to upgrade the Purple Flame Shield, which takes more Cloudstone Chunks than some other shields to fully upgrade.

For Pure Moonlightstone, I had the most luck with killing the crystal lizard in 3-2 when I had PWWT, the one that runs off the cliff when you give chase.

MidnightRider said:
I envy all of you with the plat for this game.

There is no way in hell I will get it :(
Thats what I thought until I started my current character. Dex and bows make it pretty smooth sailing for a plat run. I say try it!

Grinchy

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I envy all of you with the plat for this game.

There is no way in hell I will get it :(
It's totally doable. It will just take a lot of time. I guess new exploits will really cut down on that too if you want to go that route. But no matter what, it's multiple playthroughs where each subsequent one gets harder.

oracrest

Bankoiia said:
I'm not fluent in japanese, but this seems to be the gist of it.

"We will hold a meeting on September 3rd to confirm participants for our inoffical Demon's Souls tournament. I will make sure the rules are easy to understand, so please check the bullentin board. Videos will be recorded of the event. We are still accepting new competitors so check out the details over at, http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/netgame/9108/"

The third video is appearently a promotional video for said event.

Cool, thanks for the translation.

MechaX said:
Seems like that may be my only choice. But man, tell that one to my friends at this point!

It actually took friend 1 and I probably an hour or to to reach Phalanx, beating him on the first try (I was a knight, he was a magician). My other friend on the other hand, picked a Wanderer where he took all damage, both of his weapons broke, got schooled by the red lancer on the section of 1-1 that you're not supposed to go in, and took probably an hour to beat Phalanx because he had no turpentine/bombs.

As for invasion, I'll probably just go soul form for the most part. I was mistakenly told that dying in soul form means you lose your entire character (which is exceedingly masochistic, even for a game like this). But if it's just losing soul currency, I can plan around that much better.

Just keep at it, it takes a few levels before the game really clicks with most people, then it's total euphoria. I think it's right about the time when the frustration/enjoyment ratio starts to flip the other way around. Don't stress about finishing levels slowly either. Think of each level as it's own game, which it sort of is because of how unique each stage plays out. There are two rings that can be found in the first level that will help you out a lot throughout the rest of the game.

electroshockwave said:
Not with that attitude you won't!

dawson_crying.gif

cj_iwakura said:
Three times farming 4-4, and still no Cloudstone chunks. :( SL 102 now, if anyone wants to hook me up. Those, Pure Moonlight, and a Mercury chunk or two, and I'm golden.

I have two cloudstone chunks if you want them. (Not much I know) Which shield are you upgrading? If you're not planning to use it a Buckler is the best choice as it requires the fewest shards and chunks. I don't have much advice for getting the chunks yourself, I got most of mine across different playthroughs from the set drop in 4-3 and only got 2-3 from the mantas.

cj_iwakura

electroshockwave said:
I have two cloudstone chunks if you want them. (Not much I know) Which shield are you upgrading? If you're not planning to use it a Buckler is the best choice as it requires the fewest shards and chunks. I don't have much advice for getting the chunks yourself, I got most of mine across different playthroughs from the set drop in 4-3 and only got 2-3 from the mantas.

Uh, Heater Shield. Probably should've used a weaker one as an afterthought...

But yes, help is welcome. SL 103, cj_iwakura on PSN.

(Mercury chunks are great, also. :p I'm a couple away from the last upgrade.)

cj_iwakura

Platinum get! Never would've happened without all the help.

I wound up getting a Pure Moonlight from the last lizard in 3-3. Talk about luck.

Bowler

I started the game a month ago.... Ive got about 40 hours in, and level 57. But damn.... those 3 black phantoms on 1-4 are freaking brutal. maybe i should go back and take out 2-3 3-3 and 4-4 first. I haven't even been to 5-1 yet. ugg

cj_iwakura said:

I wound up getting a Pure Moonlight from the last lizard in 3-3. Talk about luck.
Kick ass! Good job. I have a few more runs through NG+, ++, and +++ to get all my spells and rings then I'll have it too.

cj_iwakura

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Kick ass! Good job. I have a few more runs through NG+, ++, and +++ to get all my spells and rings then I'll have it too.

I got all the rings in one go, I'm sure you can get spells and rings by NG+ at most.

cj_iwakura said:
I got all the rings in one go, I'm sure you can get spells and rings by NG+ at most.
I have all but 3 rings. I am in NG+ but I need to go through at least 2 more times since Maiden Astraea's soul has 4 different uses: BBS, Death Cloud, Relief, and Resurection. I have BBS and Resurection but still need to go through to at least NG+++ for the other two spells. No big since I am still working to 712 sl as I go through.

EasyMode

macuser1of5 said:
Beer + Demon's Souls = failboat. Props to EasyMode for dealing with my lameness lol
Yeah, It's pretty cool running into a GAFfer randomly. I didn't see your name right away, but when I saw an arrow take away 90% of my health I knew It was you. Good shit :)

Too bad about Maneaters. You should have lamed the first one through the fog gate.

EasyMode said:
Yeah, It's pretty cool running into a GAFfer randomly. I didn't see your name right away, but when I saw an arrow take away 90% of my health I knew It was you. Good shit :)

Too bad about Maneaters. You should have lamed the first one through the fog gate.
I thought about it, and I usually do, but I wanted to be hardcore... I forgot they just chase the host down 99% of the time lol. Maybe next time. *shakes fists*

EasyMode

macuser1of5 said:
I thought about it, and I usually do, but I wanted to be hardcore... I forgot they just chase the host down 99% of the time lol. Maybe next time. *shakes fists*
Were you using second chance? It sounded like it, but I wasn't sure if you could use that with hyper mode. Could you share your build? I wanna deal out the lameness on my next playthrough. The death cloud was a nice touch too... haha

MechaX

oracrest said:
Just keep at it, it takes a few levels before the game really clicks with most people, then it's total euphoria. I think it's right about the time when the frustration/enjoyment ratio starts to flip the other way around. Don't stress about finishing levels slowly either. Think of each level as it's own game, which it sort of is because of how unique each stage plays out. There are two rings that can be found in the first level that will help you out a lot throughout the rest of the game.

Yeah, I think I just hit that period of good balance between frustration and enjoyment. I managed to clear out 1-2, and the first levels of 2, 3, and 4 today alone each with some pretty awesome boss encounters (and good god, did 3-1 take a long time). I think I might have lucked out by picking a starting class that can actually take a few hits, even though it seems like you actually have a lot of leeway in terms of builds. I also found that ring that cuts down on the equip weights, so my knight can at least roll and sprint around at a very acceptable manner.

So far, I've been using mostly souls for stat upgrades rather than buying anything (although, I do have my eye on a soul boosting ring that you can buy in 3-1). 1-2 is pretty impressive in terms of farming healing items.

The only thing I need to get used to is invasions. I swear, I always get invaded when my pants are essentially down (in the item menu rearranging stuff, getting distracted irl, etc). But I think I hit the point where I'm actually having a lot of fun with the game.

DryvBy

Hopefully someone can help with this... I'm about to go through New Game+ but I wanted to get a few items before venturing forth. One person I'm having difficult finding is Mephistopheles in the Nexus. I know where she should be and know I need to be Pure Black, which I'm assuming I should be since I've killed several NPCs. But how do I check for sure? Will the character icon glow black or just be really dark in the menu?

Also, should I be in soul form to see her?

cj_iwakura

DryvBy2 said:
Hopefully someone can help with this... I'm about to go through New Game+ but I wanted to get a few items before venturing forth. One person I'm having difficult finding is Mephistopheles in the Nexus. I know where she should be and know I need to be Pure Black, which I'm assuming I should be since I've killed several NPCs. But how do I check for sure? Will the character icon glow black or just be really dark in the menu?

Real dark.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

Did you kill Yurt? You won't see her unless he's rotting in the depths of the swamp.

(Which is exactly how I axed that punk. Back kick straight into the Latrian slime.)

DryvBy2 said:

You need to
free/kill Yurt
for her to show once you have PBCT.

EasyMode

DryvBy2 said:

You shouldn't need to be in soul form too see, and the character icon just turns dark. If you reached pure black while in the nexus, then you'll have to reenter the nexus for her to appear on the second level.

Edit: Oh right, and you have to kill Yurt.

Gin

Bowler said:
I started the game a month ago.... Ive got about 40 hours in, and level 57. But damn.... those 3 black phantoms on 1-4 are freaking brutal. maybe i should go back and take out 2-3 3-3 and 4-4 first. I haven't even been to 5-1 yet. ugg

that part is very easy.

Just start at the archstone for the level .. kill the three archers - then the 3 black phantoms are there.
(there is also a crystal lizard in the area as well fyi)

Take a simple bow - and shoot one of the black phantoms..
Let him or her chase you - and you NEED to run back to the archstone.

Make sure the black phantom follows you back.

Right as you reach the archstone, turn around and look at the black phantom.
It will suddenly stop walking, but it will continue looking at you

There is a glitch with the level design that doesnt allow monsters from 1-3 run into 1-4 and vice versa

Kill the black phantom slowly by magic or quick weapon strikes.. be careful as he can still attack if you get too close. Take your time to heal as he aint going anywhere.

When he is dead. repeat the process and pull another one to same spot.

Easy as pie.

cj_iwakura

A real fun way is to bring two blues with you and have an epic 3v3 war, but I don't recommend that. Mostly because they'd probably win. :p

Beezy

I started playing this about 2 weeks ago and so far I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-2, 4-2, 3-1, in that order. I'm not sure what stage to do next. I went to 4-3 and it ended up being a boss fight (died ofcourse). Is there a recommended order to play through the stages in this game?

I love it despite all my deaths btw. I got my PS3 this past Christmas and this is the first game that I've been hooked on.

Beezy said:
I started playing this about 2 weeks ago and so far I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-2, 4-2, 3-1, in that order. I'm not sure what stage to do next. I went to 4-3 and it ended up being a boss fight (died ofcourse). Is there a recommended order to play through the stages in this game?

I love it despite all my deaths btw. I got my PS3 this past Christmas and this is the first game that I've been hooked on.

I don't think that there's a recommended order. I didn't touch world 5 til after I was done with 2,3, and 4 completely, and I felt madly overlevelled, so maybe now would be a good time for 5-1? 3-2 is also not that hard.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
cj_iwakura said:

Congrats man!

macuser1of5 said:
Beer + Demon's Souls = failboat. Props to EasyMode for dealing with my lameness lol

I find the complete opposite. Demon's souls quite a lot of fun when I'm aimlessly screwing around either helping or hampering the host. I do seem to die more when someone is actively pursuing me though... hmm...

Xeno_Flux2113 said:

I felt that the first time through was the hardest part, since you have to plan all the world tendency crap. After that it's all fun and games (albeit harder). Anyways, get to work!

Top Bottom