• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

MechaX

SON OF A...

I tried to help out Ostrava, but the damn idiot decided to get between a strong swing of a Dragon Bone Smasher and an enemy, and now he's aggro'd. Is there anyway to de-aggro him or am I screwed?

MechaX said:
SON OF A...

I tried to help out Ostrava, but the damn idiot decided to get between a strong swing of a Dragon Bone Smasher and an enemy, and now he's aggro'd. Is there anyway to de-aggro him or am I screwed?

Pretty sure you're screwed... He usually takes a few hits before turning, or it might be dmg percentage.

MechaX

33-Hit-Combo said:
Pretty sure you're screwed... He usually takes a few hits before turning, or it might be dmg percentage.

It was the Bone Smasher, so that took off at least 75% of his health. Doesn't help that my easiest way of getting the Talisman of Beasts in this playthrough is essentially shot because of this god damn chucklefuck.

Hanmik

Is there any easy strategies with the Reaper / Shadowlurkers in 4.2..? I can kill the first one fast and easy with my bow.. then I come to the next one. The one where the shadowlurkers shoot those beams at me.. but i Die here all the time. I haven´t even seen the reaper here yet.. so any easy strategies..? (I´m playing with a Royalty around lvl 40.)

McLovin

I never beat this game, I got overwhelmed by all the crap you have to look up. Things like conditions you have to meet to get special weapon, things you only get one chance to do, various other things. But I got to give it another shot. Any tips on what to level up have a smooth complete playthrough? I figure I'll go for all the cool weapons on another play through. I just need some things to focus on.

DryvBy

McLovin said:
I never beat this game, I got overwhelmed by all the crap you have to look up. Things like conditions you have to meet to get special weapon, things you only get one chance to do, various other things. But I got to give it another shot. Any tips on what to level up have a smooth complete playthrough? I figure I'll go for all the cool weapons on another play through. I just need some things to focus on.

I had a hate/love relationship with DS. My advice is to farm souls in certain areas that you get a lot. I ended up fighting in this one area over and over and getting so many souls, I got a huge soul level boost in health. I basically rushed through parts afterward to get to NG+. I'd mainly focus on beating an area until you can just rush through it. And use teh Wikidot maps!!! Once you get a good enough weapon and a lot of chunks of stone, you can start really killing things with one hit that were three or four before. I farmed dragonstones for the fire damage and have a +5 Great Axe right now. Even on NG+, I'm 1 hit killing everything.

And apparently, don't pick Barbarian if you are just starting. I did this and it was more of a struggle in certain areas than it should have been.

McLovin

DryvBy2 said:
I had a hate/love relationship with DS. My advice is to farm souls in certain areas that you get a lot. I ended up fighting in this one area over and over and getting so many souls, I got a huge soul level boost in health. I basically rushed through parts afterward to get to NG+. I'd mainly focus on beating an area until you can just rush through it. And use teh Wikidot maps!!! Once you get a good enough weapon and a lot of chunks of stone, you can start really killing things with one hit that were three or four before. I farmed dragonstones for the fire damage and have a +5 Great Axe right now. Even on NG+, I'm 1 hit killing everything.

And apparently, don't pick Barbarian if you are just starting. I did this and it was more of a struggle in certain areas than it should have been.
Ok so I'll try that, would Royal be a good class to start with?

oracrest

MechaX said:
It was the Bone Smasher, so that took off at least 75% of his health. Doesn't help that my easiest way of getting the Talisman of Beasts in this playthrough is essentially shot because of this god damn chucklefuck.

Mephistopheles may still ask for it, if he's still alive.

McLovin said:

In all honesty, just play it through. All the things you can/will miss are inconsequential to beating the game. You can't get and do everything in a single playthrough anyways, so like you say, just save it for a later playthrough.

EasyMode

Hanmik said:
Is there any easy strategies with the Reaper / Shadowlurkers in 4.2..? I can kill the first one fast and easy with my bow.. then I come to the next one. The one where the shadowlurkers shoot those beams at me.. but i Die here all the time. I haven´t even seen the reaper here yet.. so any easy strategies..? (I´m playing with a Royalty around lvl 40.)
If you have the dark silver shield you can just block the beams. Otherwise I like to wear the theif's ring and throw soul remains at the first beam shooter from the edge of lock-on range. Then while he's distracted, run past or kill him. The second beam shooter you can just run past. After that the reaper is nice and easy, just run up to him and hit him once and he'll fall to his death.

Hanmik

EasyMode said:
If you have the dark silver shield you can just block the beams. Otherwise I like to wear the theif's ring and throw soul remains at the first beam shooter from the edge of lock-on range. Then while he's distracted, run past or kill him. The second beam shooter you can just run past. After that the reaper is nice and easy, just run up to him and hit him once and he'll fall to his death.

thanks. will try this tonight then..!

DryvBy

McLovin said:
Ok so I'll try that, would Royal be a good class to start with?

I'll send you a link when I'm at home tonight. Send me a PM so my brain will trigger a memory lol. Or hit me up on PSN (DryvBy) and I'll give you a link on a huge beginning guide I found that helped me 10 fold.

Nix

Banned
Any other Melee player find that crossbows were alot more fun/versatile than bows? I mean, I eventually switched to bows because bolts were just, goddamn heavy, but I had alot more fun with crossbows and an easier time switching them on the flow.

Although reload is a bitch.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Nix said:
Any other Melee player find that crossbows were alot more fun/versatile than bows? I mean, I eventually switched to bows because bolts were just, goddamn heavy, but I had alot more fun with crossbows and an easier time switching them on the flow.

Although reload is a bitch.

Reload kills it.

cj_iwakura

DryvBy2 said:
I'm trying to Platinum this sucker, but I need a little help. For a few weapons, I need to get White World. Is it best to do this in Offline mode? And what's the quickest ways to get the worlds to white/black? Also characters?

Last, I'm playing as a Barbarian and I know I need to learn spells for a couple of trophies. I can get the spells, but do I need to memorize them for the trophy?

I never would have done it if I had played online. PWWT events are so much easier to do offline. In fact, do everything in soul form to be sure.

DryvBy

Is there a better way to tell if I'm Pure White/Black? I can't for the life of me figure out the Tendency crap. I've just destroyed bosses 1-1 and 1-2 Offline and it looks like the same color. I was trying to get to the side gate but it's just not letting me pass.

I also seem to stay black no matter what I do. I'm trying to get Friend's Ring on NG+ but I can't do that if I'm constantly black.

DryvBy2 said:
Is there a better way to tell if I'm Pure White/Black? I can't for the life of me figure out the Tendency crap. I've just destroyed bosses 1-1 and 1-2 Offline and it looks like the same color. I was trying to get to the side gate but it's just not letting me pass.

I also seem to stay black no matter what I do. I'm trying to get Friend's Ring on NG+ but I can't do that if I'm constantly black.
Pure white is kind of hard to tell, but pure black is pretty obvious. Have you returned to the nexus and checked again? it changes.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
DryvBy2 said:

You have to go back to the Nexus to change World Tendency. Character Tendency changes immediately. To change Character Tendency you have to kill Black Phantoms (either online users or Named NPC Black Phantoms) to go white. Killing demons doesn't change Character Tendency, just World.

DryvBy2 said:

If its your Character Tendency then you need to take out the named BPs that are found in the PBWT in each area. You can also help people as a blue online or defeat invading BP online to raise your CT to pure white.

Destroying bosses will only affect world tendency.

oracrest

DryvBy2 said:

Pure black is easy, just reference the color of the broken archstone, it has the color scheme of PBWT.

Like they said, character tendency is raised by killing BP characters, but also lowered by killing Miralda and doran.

All but one named BP is in pure BLACK world tendency.

White world tendency is identified by a fully blown out archstone gem. If you can see the edges of the stone, it's not full white.

MechaX

I almost feel kinda guilty that I'm always trying to stay one step ahead of the game in terms of reading FAQs. This way, I can dodge every nut-shot the game tries to deliver. I am so glad I read up on
Yurt
ahead of time. Time to correct this little issue...

LeCapitan

Neo Member
The first time around, I let him go.
Then I was wandering through the Nexus and found a dead body and said to myself, "This wasn't here before..."

johntown

Banned
Finally got my platinum for this last night :)

As an added bonus I was actually able to get the Monk's Head Collar after missing it my first couple playthroughs. Does anyone think it would be an easier fight if I opt to get the head collar at a low soul level?

What is better to wear to up magic? the collar? the ring of magical sharpness? or the kris blade? or stack all three?

Zoe

MechaX said:
I almost feel kinda guilty that I'm always trying to stay one step ahead of the game in terms of reading FAQs. This way, I can dodge every nut-shot the game tries to deliver. I am so glad I read up on
Yurt
ahead of time. Time to correct this little issue...

I really regret following the FAQ's for this game. It made it way too easy.

MechaX

Zoe said:
I really regret following the FAQ's for this game. It made it way too easy.

I try to make a fine line in terms of using FAQs; I'll use it to be cognizant of World/Character Tendency events, since the rewards are good and the game is pretty draconian about a lot of those events (plus, with Xenoblade arriving next week and grad school starting back up, I didn't want to just leave everything on a second playthrough that I may not be able to do any time soon). I won't use it as absolute guides through the levels or for bosses themselves, as I like to discern things like boss patterns for myself.

With the scenario of
Yurt
, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed what was going on until it was too late since I released him before reading up about him. And since I still have some important business with certain NPCs, I actually might have backlogged the game out of rage right then and there. But with a title like this that pulls no stops, I feel like some research before hand is only fair, especially with NPC events.

cj_iwakura

I mostly use FAQs for post game help, unless I'm really stumped. The messages carried me through most of the game, including how to deal with Yurt.

DryvBy

Is there a away to play with a friend or someone and have them trade or drop weapons near me? There's absolutely no way I'm going to get to Pure White character and I'm only missing a couple of swords and three rings for the trophies I need. I'd rather get those out of the way so I focus on just playing again. /ocd

johntown

Banned
MechaX said:
I try to make a fine line in terms of using FAQs; I'll use it to be cognizant of World/Character Tendency events, since the rewards are good and the game is pretty draconian about a lot of those events (plus, with Xenoblade arriving next week and grad school starting back up, I didn't want to just leave everything on a second playthrough that I may not be able to do any time soon). I won't use it as absolute guides through the levels or for bosses themselves, as I like to discern things like boss patterns for myself.

With the scenario of
Yurt
, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed what was going on until it was too late since I released him before reading up about him. And since I still have some important business with certain NPCs, I actually might have backlogged the game out of rage right then and there. But with a title like this that pulls no stops, I feel like some research before hand is only fair, especially with NPC events.
I ran into the exact issue you are describing my first playthrough. Needless to say I had to restart the game and at that point I felt I had already beaten the majority of the game without a guide so it did not really matter.

Once I looked at the guide though and saw the many many things I had missed I was amazed.

johntown

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
Is there a away to play with a friend or someone and have them trade or drop weapons near me? There's absolutely no way I'm going to get to Pure White character and I'm only missing a couple of swords and three rings for the trophies I need. I'd rather get those out of the way so I focus on just playing again. /ocd
It took me 4 runs to get every trophy but if you are anywhere close to SL 148 I have everything and I could dupe it for you.

cj_iwakura

DryvBy2 said:

Yep, as long as their SL is close to yours.

http://www.demonssouls.info/level-range.php

DryvBy

johntown said:
It took me 4 runs to get every trophy but if you are anywhere close to SL 148 I have everything and I could dupe it for you.
Please, sir lol. My PSN is DryvBy.

*Edit: Crap, I'm apparently too high of a level on the guy I need. I have a "cheat character" I made so I could actually get the Platinum before Dark Souls came out and my guy is at 195 or something. I ended up duping the soul that gives you 60,000 each time 99 times and used it to boost my strength.

Here's a list of what I need:

==Rings==
Dull Rat's Ring
Foe's Ring
Friend's Ring

==Weapons==
Blind
Bramd
Dark Silver Shield
Dozer Axe
Istarelie
Makoto (Magic Sword)
Meat Cleaver
Phosphorescent Pole
Talisman of Beasts

As for the stones, I don't have many missing. My biggest focus is getting those trophies.

Also, does anyone know if the Saints/Sages trophies can be put on a Barbarian or should I just create a magic dude for those?

Sayah

I need the following items for my platinum:
-Friend's Ring
-Best weapon by Greystone
-Best weapon by Bladestone
-Best weapon by Spiderstone
-Best weapon by Dragonstone
-Best weapon by Suckerstone
-Best weapon by Marrowstone
-Best weapon by Moonlightstone
-Best weapon by Darkmoonstone
-Best weapon by Cloudstone

I'm not lazy. I've tried very hard searching for all of these and this game won't find the things I need. Not to mention it's taking forever to attain pure white character tendency. :/

I'm around/close to soul level 130. Who wants to help meh?

Sayah

DryvBy2 said:

*Edit: Crap, I'm apparently too high of a level on the guy I need. I have a "cheat character" I made so I could actually get the Platinum before Dark Souls came out and my guy is at 195 or something. I ended up duping the soul that gives you 60,000 each time 99 times and used it to boost my strength.

==Rings==
Dull Rat's Ring
Foe's Ring
Friend's Ring

==Weapons==
Blind
Bramd
Dark Silver Shield
Dozer Axe
Istarelie
Makoto (Magic Sword)
Meat Cleaver
Phosphorescent Pole
Talisman of Beasts

As for the stones, I don't have many missing. My biggest focus is getting those trophies.

Also, does anyone know if the Saints/Sages trophies can be put on a Barbarian or should I just create a magic dude for those?

I could help you with most of the items on your list if you were close to soul level 130.

cj_iwakura

Sayah said:
I need the following items for my platinum:
-Friend's Ring
-Best weapon by Greystone
-Best weapon by Bladestone
-Best weapon by Spiderstone
-Best weapon by Dragonstone
-Best weapon by Suckerstone
-Best weapon by Marrowstone
-Best weapon by Moonlightstone
-Best weapon by Darkmoonstone
-Best weapon by Cloudstone

I'm not lazy. I've tried very hard searching for all of these and this game won't find the things I need. Not to mention it's taking forever to attain pure white character tendency. :/

I'm around/close to soul level 130. Who wants to help meh?

I have the friend ring. Those weapons are gonna take you some time, though. As for pure white, the easiest way to get it is to either kill the NPC Black Phantoms or wait for someone to invade your game, then kill them.

DryvBy

Well, if you guys add me, I just won't play until you guys get to 160ish, which looks like should be a good enough level. I have all the stones pretty much for those trophies you listed. I'll stay off the game until tonight. Terraria it will be! Just add me on PSN and I'll be on around 5pm or 6pm eastern time.

Sayah

cj_iwakura said:
I have the friend ring. Those weapons are gonna take you some time, though. As for pure white, the easiest way to get it is to either kill the NPC Black Phantoms or wait for someone to invade your game, then kill them.
I've already killed all 5 of the NPC black phantoms in my second playthrough. Still not close to attaining PWCT and I've used up all my stones of ephemeral eyes. I made the mistake of doing the Mephistopheles mission first which turned my character tendency to pure black. Would be appreciated if you can get me the friends ring. Thanks.

Sayah

DryvBy2 said:
Well, if you guys add me, I just won't play until you guys get to 160ish, which looks like should be a good enough level. I have all the stones pretty much for those trophies you listed. I'll stay off the game until tonight. Terraria it will be! Just add me on PSN and I'll be on around 5pm or 6pm eastern time.
Not sure how long it'll take to get to 160 for me but I will add you next time I get on.

cj_iwakura

Sayah said:
I've already killed all 5 of the NPC black phantoms in my second playthrough. Still not close to attaining PWCT and I've used up all my stones of ephemeral eyes. I made the mistake of doing the Mephistopheles mission first which turned my character tendency to pure black. Would be appreciated if you can get me the friends ring. Thanks.

The best way to get PWCT is go to a level you haven't cleared in body form, wait for invaders, and kill them. Might take like five of them.

Make sure you win. :p

Also, add me at your leisure; cj_iwakura. Pretty sure my character is in your range, she's around 110.

johntown

Banned
DryvBy2 said:

==Rings==
Dull Rat's Ring
Foe's Ring
Friend's Ring

==Weapons==
Blind
Bramd
Dark Silver Shield
Dozer Axe
Istarelie
Makoto (Magic Sword)
Meat Cleaver
Phosphorescent Pole
Talisman of Beasts

If you have a Red Eye stone you can de-level yourself.

Sayah

cj_iwakura said:
The best way to get PWCT is go to a level you haven't cleared in body form, wait for invaders, and kill them. Might take like five of them.

Make sure you win. :p

Also, add me at your leisure; cj_iwakura. Pretty sure my character is in your range, she's around 110.
I've had people invade and more often than not, I find that it turns into a healing contest and I end up using all my precious white/full moon grass, haha.
I will add you when I get on PSN and if there are certain items you need as well, let me know. I may have them.

DryvBy

johntown said:
If you have a Red Eye stone you can de-level yourself.
Ok, I can do that. I can search around for it after I get back from getting my driver's license updated. That will probably be a couple of hours and I'll be ready.

DryvBy2 said:

==Rings==
Dull Rat's Ring
Foe's Ring
Friend's Ring

==Weapons==
Blind
Bramd
Dark Silver Shield
Dozer Axe
Istarelie
Makoto (Magic Sword)
Meat Cleaver
Phosphorescent Pole
Talisman of Beasts

I should have all of those things on my first character that's around your level range. I'd rather hold onto some of them but I think you can get the trophy just for having them in your inventory for a bit.
You need 10 magic for Freke to teach you spells and I think you need 10 faith to learn miracles. Aside from that I don't think there's any reason your barbarian can't get those trophies.

johntown

Banned
Sayah said:
I've had people invade and more often than not, I find that it turns into a healing contest and I end up using all my precious white/full moon grass, haha.
I will add you when I get on PSN and if there are certain items you need as well, let me know. I may have them.
To prevent the healing contests try equiping the clever rats ring and activating second chance when someone invades. Also, I found Death Cloud works wonders for this as well.

johntown

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I should have all of those things on my first character that's around your level range. I'd rather hold onto some of them but I think you can get the trophy just for having them in your inventory for a bit.
You need 10 magic for Freke to teach you spells and I think you need 10 faith to learn miracles. Aside from that I don't think there's any reason your barbarian can't get those trophies.
You can dupe them and that way you don't lose them. That is what I was going to do.

I was just summoned as a Black Phantom in 3-1 for the boss fight, as is often the case the player died before he even got into the room (lol), when the game sent me back to my world, I arrived at the start of 2-1! Anyone else had this happen? First time for me, it usually puts be back exactly where I was in my own game.

CatPee

Red Liquorice said:
I was just summoned as a Black Phantom in 3-1 for the boss fight, as is often the case the player died before he even got into the room (lol), when the game sent me back to my world, I arrived at the start of 2-1! Anyone else had this happen? First time for me, it usually puts be back exactly where I was in my own game.

Whenever you regain your body, it puts you back in the last place where you died in body form.

Top Bottom