• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Oppo

Hi Demon Hunters. Quick question for a LTTPer.

Is there an easy way to compare stats between what you currently have equipped, and a new weapon? or so you just have to memorize stats when going between screens?

PortTwo said:

Is there an easy way to compare stats between what you currently have equipped, and a new weapon? or so you just have to memorize stats when going between screens?

I don't remember how but I believe there is. Something about a screen with blue and red highlights on some stats ?

Edit : I'm not sure after all, haven't played in a long time.

one85x

BaronLundi said:
I don't remember how but I believe there is. Something about a screen with blue and red highlights on some stats ?

Edit : I'm not sure after all, haven't played in a long time.
Na, you're right. Just go to the equip menu, select the item you currently have equipped, press square to change the item display, then scroll down to the weapon you want to compare it to.

Johnas

mintypixel said:
I'm just starting this game now. Any tips for a newbie?

Get used to dying, it will happen often.

Don't make a big deal about losing souls when you die, you'll regain them as you practice the levels.

There are two important rings to be obtained in the first level (not the tutorial level, the first level of Boletarian Palace), they will help you often through your entire playthrough.

You will get special souls from
killing bosses
, don't just consume these to increase your soul count. They have other special uses, you'll see.

Play slowly and deliberately, recklessness will lead to death.

Locking on to enemies (with R3) is often helpful, but sometimes can put you in a bind. In tight spaces or on narrow ledges/walkways, it can hurt more often than help.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions here, lots of fans of the game on this forum.

mintypixel said:
I'm just starting this game now. Any tips for a newbie?
As somebody who just beat the game for the first time today:

If you can't beat something it's because you're not patient enough. CALM THE HECK DOWN. impossible crazy speedruns exist on the internet but YOU will die 9999 times out of 10000 if you rush.

For your sake I pray you're better at resisting black phantom invasions than I. I have yet to survive one.

MechaX

Wow, the 3-3 main boss fight is pretty epic in hindsight after reading what was really going on.
At first, I was seriously confused that I was being invaded while I was in soul form. I even thought that it was just randomly generated screen names for an AI to make things feel authentic. But after getting my way up there... yep, it was definitely a human, lag and all. The guy even tried to jump me as I was walking into the room, but this game has made me excessively paranoid to the point where rudimentary ambushes like that won't work on me. It was a pretty fun fight, even though the guy was doing shit damage and I was busting out like 400hp per hit with the Dragon Bone Smasher. Even fucked around with the lava bow a bit.

I'm also sorry to the other 3 players that got booted out of the session as I died to the same BP Mind Flayer. Fuck those guys.

MechaX said:
I'm also sorry to the other 3 players that got booted out of the session as I died to the same BP Mind Flayer. Fuck those guys.
iirc they have a chance to receive a monk's headwrap so they should be thanking you for dying if they dont have it yet.

CatPee

The_Player said:
So, I bought PS3 recently and now can't decide what to buy: GTA4 or Demon's Souls? Help me to make right decision, GAF!

Clearly Demon's Souls because it's 100% free of your annoying cousin/other random people constantly calling and asking you to go bowling.

oracrest

PortTwo said:

I just equip the different weapons, and attack something, and compare the damage. There are so many variables with enemy weaknesses, stat bonuses, etc, that the number it gives you can be deceiving.

Mxrz

GTA4 was probably my first PS3 game. I was disappointed. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games this gen. But seriously isn't for everyone. The game does not screw around, and it does not hold your hand. A lot of people buy it cause they see us fanatics screaming about how motherlovin' hardcore awsomeballs it is, only to not be able to pass 1-1 and then rage.

But both are super cheap now, so grab 'em.

gioGAF

GTA4 is a good game, but Demon's Souls is fantastic. Though, as someone already pointed out, it might not be your cup of tea.

With GTA, you already know what you are getting if you have played any previous entry, just be aware that GTA4 injects a dose of "realism" that takes away some of the over-the-top fun of the series (more difficult to maneuver vehicles, less crazy things to do, nagging friends, etc.). If you really want to get a GTA-type game, I would suggest you get Red Dead Redemption instead.

Demon's Souls was a breath of fresh air in a sequel-stagnated gaming market. The art direction is superb, the worlds are expertly crafted, the creatures are unique and the online component is innovative (not to mention fun). The game leaves a great deal of the exploration and progression to you. That can put some people off since they are used to "do this", "go there" game play. It also punishes the impatient gamer, which can also be a problem for many gamers.

Tdog987

I really want the Dragon Bone Smasher. I have beaten 2-1 and 2-2, but only have Neutral World Tendency.

I red this in the the wiki

Note: If you kill the Dragon God with a Neutral World Tendency, you will have to go back to the Nexus, and then return to claim the Sword.

So if I kill the Dragon God, I can grab the Dragon Bone Smasher?

Has anyone tried this?

Tdog987 said:
I really want the Dragon Bone Smasher. I have beaten 2-1 and 2-2, but only have Neutral World Tendency.

I red this in the the wiki

So if I kill the Dragon God, I can grab the Dragon Bone Smasher?

Has anyone tried this?

Which of these does your world tendency look like?
archstones-wt-stonefan4u0w.png

If it's the fourth from the left or darker I don't think you'll be able to get white world tendency by killing one boss. You might want to go pure black and kill the primeval demon and BP Scirvir without returning to the Nexus which should get you almost to pure white. Then when you kill the Dragon God you should be able to get the the DBS.

Tdog987

electroshockwave said:
Which of these does your world tendency look like?
archstones-wt-stonefan4u0w.png

If it's the fourth from the left or darker I don't think you'll be able to get white world tendency by killing one boss. You might want to go pure black and kill the primeval demon and BP Scirvir without returning to the Nexus which should get you almost to pure white. Then when you kill the Dragon God you should be able to get the the DBS.

Its the second (possibly third) one on the left. So once I kill the dragon, I should be able to just to grab the sword?

MechaX

Finished my first playthrough with roughly 40 hours on the clock at Soul Level 87. Man... what a ride it has been. World 5 was pretty annoying, but thankfully I got through it without much hassles since I was extremely overleveled and overprepared for what was allegedly the worst world in the entire game.

The real funny part was my run through World 1-4 and how someone decided to invade literally at the worst possible time (the only fate I can think of that is worse is getting invaded in World 5-2 before getting the short cut open).
Basically, I was racking my brain on how to get around this dragon that was guarding the gate. I saw no other passages, my Lava Bow was not quite the best fit to deal with this situation, and I couldn't even hide behind pillars. So... I rolled my ass through the flames and hoped for the best. I got lucky enough where I timed every roll just right and took zero damage.

So here I am, on the bridge to the penultimate boss of the game, and I get a message that I got invaded. I was seriously fretting at this point because I had no fucking clue how I was going to get past that dragon a second time. I see this Black Phantom just waiting for me at the other end and I take care of him. I was thinking "Oh... that wasn't so bad...." But then I swiveled the camera around and see a second Black Phantom walking up with his magic sword with his curse weapon enchantment on. "... So THIS guy is the actual invader. Fuck me." I was worried since I was fairly high in levels and it is around this point where people really start getting their PvP builds together.

After a couple of swings between us, I decided to take a risk and use the Dragon Bone Smasher two handed. After one swing that took off 1/4th of his health, it actually managed to fling him off the bridge entirely.
So yay for unexpected victories over invasions at the worst possible moments!

As for the end-game itself,
I felt it was actually rather anticlimatic. I know that there is some merit in showing the king essentially as some delusional blob monster after fighting the demon of him, but I don't know. I was just expecting something a little bit more than "King's defeated? Okay, Old One situation solved, good night folks!"
But in all, I thought it was a pretty well put together game that actually benefits from its approach of always trying to mentally challenge players as a form of immersing them in the experience. Will a go through a second playthrough? Maybe, but I really don't care too much for the PvP aspect and the coop aspect is not as refined as I would have liked (maybe Dark Souls will definitely improve upon this).

Tdog987 said:
Its the second (possibly third) one on the left. So once I kill the dragon, I should be able to just to grab the sword?

most likely, just be sure to exit and re-enter the world after you kill the dragon

cj_iwakura

MechaX said:
As for the end-game itself,
I felt it was actually rather anticlimatic. I know that there is some merit in showing the king essentially as some delusional blob monster after fighting the demon of him, but I don't know. I was just expecting something a little bit more than "King's defeated? Okay, Old One situation solved, good night folks!"
But in all, I thought it was a pretty well put together game that actually benefits from its approach of always trying to mentally challenge players as a form of immersing them in the experience. Will a go through a second playthrough? Maybe, but I really don't care too much for the PvP aspect and the coop aspect is not as refined as I would have liked (maybe Dark Souls will definitely improve upon this).

A lot of people feel that way, but it helps if you do 1-5 as the final battle, because that's as epic as they come. Then the last event is just a follow-up;
you see what became of the true king, and what his desires cost him.

Yo Gotti

Banned
The final battle and level preceding it was so hard for me that
everything that came after being sort of easy was a great way to wind down IMO.
The decision at the end was also pretty tough, it took me a while to decide which path to take.

I also thought it was kinda cool how the Old One was basically
a giant, mindless tree. You don't get the feeling that it's some super-evil entity hellbent on destroying the world, but a sort of life form or force that just exists, there was really no chance of fighting or destroying that thing.

Great story telling regardless.

So, I want to finish this game before Dark Souls comes out, and I've beaten 1-1, but I might've lost Ostrava without realizing it.

Basically, I did a run where I was able to get through most of 1-1, save Ostrava, and got to open the door to the boss, but I decided to save it for another time and quit. I picked it up again last night, died at Phalanx once, then killed him the second time. But when I go back to the Nexus, I don't see Ostrava anywhere.

Is their anychance he was moved on to 1-2, or is it more probable he died during one of my attempts to kill the 1-1 boss?

one85x

He doesn't appear in the Nexus until you save him in 1-2 and defeat the boss. If he's still alive though, then you'll be able to talk to him right at the start of 1-2. He'll be trapped over on the left side in that beginning area.

Valravn

Old King Doran is giving me a hard time. Should have picked up Poison Cloud in NG. But oh well, maybe ill keep trying with my BBS and hopes he doesnt land his one hit kill on me.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Para bailar La Bomba said:
But no ghosts, right? And what about the messages will they be patched locally?

No ghosts and probably no messages. There are a few built into the single player game, though very little.

Joei

I just restarted a game recently and decided to try and do a relatively low soul level run. I'm only at 28, which is a little higher than I should be when reviewing my stats with the equipment I want to wear. Has anyone done a low-level run before? What kind of equipment do you wear? Right now I've beaten 1-3, 2-3, 3-1, 4-2, and 5-1. I have a mix of assassin gear and wizard gear, and a plate mail. I'm using the Heater shield, a Cresent Kilij+4, and the Lava bow. My equip burden is 42, so I'm trying to keep it under 21. I plan to get soul sucked and remove two levels from Dex, which is at 18 but should be 16. I'm not sure what I'm going to increase though. I might increase Magic a little to help with the Cresent attacks or possibly END to increase my equip burden. Oh, and I'm male so I can't wear Female-only gear :(

Joei said:
I just restarted a game recently and decided to try and do a relatively low soul level run. I'm only at 28, which is a little higher than I should be when reviewing my stats with the equipment I want to wear. Has anyone done a low-level run before? What kind of equipment do you wear? Right now I've beaten 1-3, 2-3, 3-1, 4-2, and 5-1. I have a mix of assassin gear and wizard gear, and a plate mail. I'm using the Heater shield, a Cresent Kilij+4, and the Lava bow. My equip burden is 42, so I'm trying to keep it under 21. I plan to get soul sucked and remove two levels from Dex, which is at 18 but should be 16. I'm not sure what I'm going to increase though. I might increase Magic a little to help with the Cresent attacks or possibly END to increase my equip burden. Oh, and I'm male so I can't wear Female-only gear :(
I think Oracrest's SL1 run counts. I would watch his vids on youtube. GODLY.

Joei

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I think Oracrest's SL1 run counts. I would watch his vids on youtube. GODLY.

That is far too hardcore for me, lol. I'm just looking interesting builds in the 25-35 range. I'm really curious on what kind of equipment people wear. I didn't realize how much equipment matters on my first play through, in fact, it matters almost more than stats to some extent. When I picked up the suggested Cresent Falchion in 4-1, I started slaughtering enemies at only like level 20. My first character is SL185ish, but the stat build is a total mess. I could NG++ it and delevel, but I thought I'd just start fresh with a new character.

Playing low level is honestly pretty fun cause it can make the game a little harder. Not that it needs that, but after going through the game and really knowing how to use the battle system, the games not that difficult. In fact, even being at the level I'm at, the only level that gave me trouble was 4-2, and that's cause I kept falling off them damn ledges. I also found that this time I'm using spells more. I hardly ever used them on my first character and now I realize how easy Flamelurker is with Soul Arrow. I'm never straight up meleeing him again. :/

I would say make sure you can roll in your armor. I am still using my assassin's gear, never changed it and it made 5-2 not as much of a pain. For me it wasn't so much armor as getting used to a different playstyle: ranged from melee.

oracrest

Para bailar La Bomba said:
So what's gonna happen when the servers go down in October? Wil the single player campaign still be playable?

After servers die, this game will still be very playable!

Despite it's innovative online, at it's core, it's a single player experience through and through.

oracrest said:
After servers die, this game will still be very playable!

Despite it's innovative online, at it's core, it's a single player experience through and through.

+1

At a certain point messages mean nothing, and getting invaded blows, so ... what else is there with online?

I LOVE the online, just saying.

Just played a session of Demon's Souls online. There was one guy that was "blaming" me for ruining his Pure Black Tendency runs lol..

Cough cough maybe you shouldn't play online when you are doing those things.

I'm very slowly making my way through this. I've beaten the Tower Knight just now so I feel pretty good (I think everyone's jaw probably dropped when they saw that cutscene).

I did manage to have him fall on me a few times, though. All in the process I guess!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
MarshMellow96 said:
I'm very slowly making my way through this. I've beaten the Tower Knight just now so I feel pretty good (I think everyone's jaw probably dropped when they saw that cutscene).

I did manage to have him fall on me a few times, though. All in the process I guess!
It wasn't just the tower knight himself, it was all those fucking archers coming out and aiming at you. When I first watched it I thought "well shit the tower knight is badass, surely he's going to kill the archers in a show of strength. They're not going to have me fight him and all those archers at once. That's Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja type insanity".

Cutscene finishes with no one dying and my thoughts are "oh shit...oh shit".

bone_and_sinew said:
It wasn't just the tower knight himself, it was all those fucking archers coming out and aiming at you. When I first watched it I thought "well shit the tower knight is badass, surely he's going to kill the archers in a show of strength. They're not going to have me fight him and all those archers at once. That's Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja type insanity".

Cutscene finishes with no one dying and my thoughts are "oh shit...oh shit".

And then you get upstairs and there are like 4 archers on each side :p

I'm on the Armoured Spider now. Sheeeeeeit. I know exactly what I have to do but I'm just not good enough to compete against it without resorting to attrition-based combat.

Back to farming souls!

oracrest

MarshMellow96 said:
And then you get upstairs and there are like 4 archers on each side :p

I'm on the Armoured Spider now. Sheeeeeeit. I know exactly what I have to do but I'm just not good enough to compete against it without resorting to attrition-based combat.

Back to farming souls!

If you simply hold up your shield when webbed, his fire attacks will burn them away, and do minimal damage.

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, I just don't have the resources at the moment to take the hits!
There are a few spots that are safe from the fireball if you are a ranged/magic user. One I know of is right at the entrance on the right side, the web still can hit you but that does minimal damage.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
There are a few spots that are safe from the fireball if you are a ranged/magic user. One I know of is right at the entrance on the right side, the web still can hit you but that does minimal damage.

I'm melee unfortunately! Thanks for your time, though.

Top Bottom