• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CatPee said:
Whenever you regain your body, it puts you back in the last place where you died in body form.
That is awesome.

MechaX said:
Wow, the 3-3 main boss fight is pretty epic in hindsight after reading what was really going on.
At first, I was seriously confused that I was being invaded while I was in soul form. I even thought that it was just randomly generated screen names for an AI to make things feel authentic. But after getting my way up there... yep, it was definitely a human, lag and all. The guy even tried to jump me as I was walking into the room, but this game has made me excessively paranoid to the point where rudimentary ambushes like that won't work on me. It was a pretty fun fight, even though the guy was doing shit damage and I was busting out like 400hp per hit with the Dragon Bone Smasher. Even fucked around with the lava bow a bit.

I'm also sorry to the other 3 players that got booted out of the session as I died to the same BP Mind Flayer. Fuck those guys.
My first attempt and victory in 3-3 was so frenetic and fun it will forever be one of my most memorable gaming moments.

I had it spoiled for me that it would be a human opponent, but as a result I basically just knew that there was nothing I could do to prepare and basically just went in wary and expecting to lose. As soon as I stepped though the door I got hit with acid cloud- my first time ever seeing it. The sudden pop up messages about all your armor being broken is pretty terrifying. I wheel around on the guy and I am obviously seriously outmatched. He's got a huge sword (maybe the meat cleaver) and massive armor, and obviously a varied arsenal of spells. He starts throwing energy balls at me and all kinds of shit and I am basically just running my ass off trying to figure out what possible weaknesses he could have. Eventually I go in for a strike and get clocked by the sword; with the acid cloud effect it got me down to just one sliver of health. Somehow I pull off a lucky backstab with my Mercury Claw and poison him, before running away like a bat out of hell and healing up.

Now I'm just trying to stay outside the path of the onslaught. I'm a very lightly armored thief and he's a juggernaut, so this is pretty simple, but I'm basically just constantly dancing around dodging spells and rolling out of the sword's path. Every once and a while he'll use something to heal from the poison and I'll get in another quick jab before going back to ninjaing all over the place. This just goes on and on for 10 minutes.

Eventually it hits me that he has absolutely no poison-cure items or spells on him at all. He's just been delaying the inevitable by healing and hoping I'll slip up enough for him to get in a lucky shot and kill me. But it's not happening. At this point I'm in so much disbelief at how fortunate I am to be matched against someone with no poison remedy that I'm untouchable. Soon I notice he has given up on healing items and is just coming at me full force, more and more desperate as his health ticks away. When he has just a sliver of health left, he seems resigned that he won't be able to catch me and just stops entirety. And bows.

I bowed back. Then just riiiight before his last bit of health slipped away, I waved to him with the claw hand. Then he disappeared.

So much fun. And such a great testament to how simple skill and the randomness of being
matched up with a live person and the choices they've made
can rival the most brilliantly scripted gameplay moments.

Hawkian said:
That is awesome.

My first attempt and victory in 3-3 was so frenetic and fun it will forever be one of my most memorable gaming moments.

I had it spoiled for me that it would be a human opponent, but as a result I basically just knew that there was nothing I could do to prepare and basically just went in wary and expecting to lose. As soon as I stepped though the door I got hit with acid cloud- my first time ever seeing it. The sudden pop up messages about all your armor being broken is pretty terrifying. I wheel around on the guy and I am obviously seriously outmatched. He's got a huge sword (maybe the meat cleaver) and massive armor, and obviously a varied arsenal of spells. He starts throwing energy balls at me and all kinds of shit and I am basically just running my ass off trying to figure out what possible weaknesses he could have. Eventually I go in for a strike and get clocked by the sword; with the acid cloud effect it got me down to just one sliver of health. Somehow I pull off a lucky backstab with my Mercury Claw and poison him, before running away like a bat out of hell and healing up.

Now I'm just trying to stay outside the path of the onslaught. I'm a very lightly armored thief and he's a juggernaut, so this is pretty simple, but I'm basically just constantly dancing around dodging spells and rolling out of the sword's path. Every once and a while he'll use something to heal from the poison and I'll get in another quick jab before going back to ninjaing all over the place. This just goes on and on for 10 minutes.

Eventually it hits me that he has absolutely no poison-cure items or spells on him at all. He's just been delaying the inevitable by healing and hoping I'll slip up enough for him to get in a lucky shot and kill me. But it's not happening. At this point I'm in so much disbelief at how fortunate I am to be matched against someone with no poison remedy that I'm untouchable. Soon I notice he has given up on healing items and is just coming at me full force, more and more desperate as his health ticks away. When he has just a sliver of health left, he seems resigned that he won't be able to catch me and just stops entirety. And bows.

I bowed back. Then just riiiight before his last bit of health slipped away, I waved to him with the claw hand. Then he disappeared.

So much fun. And such a great testament to how simple skill and the randomness of being
matched up with a live person and the choices they've made
can rival the most brilliantly scripted gameplay moments.
HAHA that is awesome. I love stories like these. Its what makes the game so great.

I had wondered why I never met patches the Hyena on my first playthrough. I never knew exactly where to find him in 2-2 and just assumed I missed him and got on with it. I just now learned thanks to the magic of ng+ that it's because the humanoid enemy that I killed on sight the first time through was him. oh well, he's been restored now. no harm done. makes me realize what a bloodthirsty person I can be, though.
BRING MORE SOULS!!!!!

I hate everything about world 5. I hate the ugliness of it, the dark ugly swamp thing is covered in 4-2, enough with ugly cave-swamps. I hate the regular baddies with their stupid pushing attacks, I hate the flame spear carrying ones, I hate big versions of them, I hate the stupid rats that give you the plague even though you're swinging at them, I hate the stupid leech boss. I hate 5-2 even more and I've only ventured into it once.

/vent over. <_<

cnizzle06

Banned
Red Liquorice said:
I hate everything about world 5. I hate the ugliness of it, the dark ugly swamp thing is covered in 4-2, enough with ugly cave-swamps. I hate the regular baddies with their stupid pushing attacks, I hate the flame spear carrying ones, I hate big versions of them, I hate the stupid rats that give you the plague even though you're swinging at them, I hate the stupid leech boss. I hate 5-2 even more and I've only ventured into it once.

/vent over. <_<

I'm with you.

Seriously.

Fuck it.

I can't get through 5-2 because those fuckin large troll things fuckin destroy me because I can't move quickly or roll while I'm in the fuckin poisonous swamp.

fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck

And then when I by habit try to roll away, my character does that fuckin 'immobile' animation!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
5 is the best world guys :p

EasyMode

I like bleak, gloomy stages for some reason so I can't help but like world 5. The only things I don't like about it is the wonky camera and geometry issues.

In other news, I finally platinum'd the game this weekend. I crippled my ass working out, so I got to lay around and get the Rogues and Bladestone trophies.

fallagin

Red Liquorice said:

/vent over. <_<

Oh man the worst part about that area is the
black phantom with the meat cleaver, which scared the shit out of me since I couldn't roll away.

Dyno

cnizzle06 said:
I can't get through 5-2 because those fuckin large troll things fuckin destroy me because I can't move quickly or roll while I'm in the fuckin poisonous swamp.

It took me NG++ to finally master my fear of World 5 and the giant trolls. I did it though. I had the equipment I wanted and I had learned the skills. Eventually even those trolls were simply a deadly dance that I could always win. Doing a level like 5-2 from beginning to end is one of the most satisfying achievements in the game.

Your hate is understandable but it is only a stepping stone on your journey of illumination. Don't give up! You are the slavery of demons! ; )

cnizzle06

Banned
Dyno said:
It took me NG++ to finally master my fear of World 5 and the giant trolls. I did it though. I had the equipment I wanted and I had learned the skills. Eventually even those trolls were simply a deadly dance that I could always win. Doing a level like 5-2 from beginning to end is one of the most satisfying achievements in the game.

Your hate is understandable but it is only a stepping stone on your journey of illumination. Don't give up! You are the slavery of demons! ; )

I'm gonna give 'em hell once I return from my class tonight. Hopefully I can find a phantom to lend a helping hand. I need to start cashing in those boss souls for some better magic; this is my last level after all.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Red Liquorice said:

/vent over. <_<

Haha! Don't worry I feel the same way. NG+++... and still hated 5-2.

EasyMode said:
In other news, I finally platinum'd the game this weekend. I crippled my ass working out, so I got to lay around and get the Rogues and Bladestone trophies.

Congrats are in order EasyMode, even if you're in quite an interesting situation.

Hanmik

So I completed my first playthrough yesterday.. what a fantastic game.. I started NG+ and quickly completed 1-1. I have both Soulbrand and Demonbrand now, and the Sould required for the weapon upgrade. But in order to upggrade I have to go through 2-1 and 2-2 again.. I just played through the beginning of 2-1..and fuck it I got my ass handed on a silver platter.. everything that could move in that level managed to kill me. Fuck that shit..

So now.. is it worth it going through the game again..? or is the total failure to even start world 2-1, an indication that I should let the game sit on my shelves for some time..?

I'm really loving the flames on weapons upgraded with dragonstone, it makes dealing with the skeletons in world 4 a breeze. Even with the black skeletons it cuts through them like butter ^_^

johntown

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I'm with you.

Seriously.

Fuck it.

And then when I by habit try to roll away, my character does that fuckin 'immobile' animation!

World 5 can be challenging but any fire based weapon or magic will help a lot. The troll guys are a pain but in 5-2 if you have the thief's ring you can go right past them on the far left. Just make sure you walk and are not wearing any armor or anything that will make noise and they will never detect you.

If you are worried about the BP with the meat cleaver you need to hit him with either a bow or magic and then run away with the thief's ring.......keep that up and he will be dead quickly.

Otherwise, you only other chance is ranged attacks. The Lava bow works very well but if that does work any bow from a distance (with the thief's ring) will take them out slowly.

At the island where there are 4 of them I just sat in the swamp and took them all out froma distance......one by one.

johntown

Banned
Hanmik said:
So I completed my first playthrough yesterday.. what a fantastic game.. I started NG+ and quickly completed 1-1. I have both Soulbrand and Demonbrand now, and the Sould required for the weapon upgrade. But in order to upggrade I have to go through 2-1 and 2-2 again.. I just played through the beginning of 2-1..and fuck it I got my ass handed on a silver platter.. everything that could move in that level managed to kill me. Fuck that shit..

So now.. is it worth it going through the game again..? or is the total failure to even start world 2-1, an indication that I should let the game sit on my shelves for some time..?
What SL are you at? NG+ is 40% more difficult than your first playthrough. I suggest you raise your stats some before trying 2-1 and 2-2. I started NG+ at SL 78 and I got my ass handed to me for awhile. Even at that level most enemies will one hit kill you. IMO Second Chance is an absoulte must in NG+.

I'm sticking with my Knight character now, and I've already caught up to where I was with my Thief character which was at SL 75 when I started this new one. I'm about SL 45 and I can now see so many positives compared to the Thief class.

I know some of my gains are due to this not being my virgin playthrough, but I definately feel a boost compared to the Thief. I am lagging a little with magic, and need to keep buying a lot of spice, but I'm looking at using my next level upgrades to be concentrated on magic power etc.

Edit - I am having a lot of trouble with the dragon god at the end of 2-3, I remember it being a straight run through before, didn't get hit once, but I'm having a hard time passing the first blockage now. I think it's to do with weapon/stamina since I'm lucky if I remove the first stone blockage without having to regain stamina - which is why I get one hit killed by the fucker!

oracrest

Hanmik said:

You're used to those enemies being easy, just treat them with a bit more respect again, and you should be fine. Plenty of new things to do in NG+

I am forever thankful of whoever let me summon them in 2-2. I kept getting lost in that maze, but when that person showed up, they knew exactly where to go. I had already killed most of those monsters in a previous run though, so I don't feel like I missed anything by running by them this time. His help was even better for being able to take on the boss and kill it on our first try.

I did not have similar luck with 3-2. I did make it though the entire level solo, and I unlocked the path to the boss, but
those man eater twins freaked me out. I was busy kiteing the first one, and then that second one pops up out of nowhere. I went into panic mode. I was more focused on dodging the melee attacks than the magic ones. I was rolling everywhere and nearly fell off the stage. I died, and I do not look forward to fighting them again. Magic is great for one hit kills, but it makes me feel very weak when a monster wants to get up in my face.

Hanmik

If you want an easy way to kill the maneaters... then read on:

Have a bow and lots of heavy arrows (or normal if you only have them). Go up to the Maneaters Fog door. DO NOT ENTER.. take your bow, go to the far right of the door. And manually aim. You will see the first Maneater, standing there breathing fire. So just fire your arrows at it. It will die after lots of arrows.

Then just enter the fog door. Have Firestorm ready. Run to the center of the path (where the big firebrazier is) and circle the brazier. Hit him with 1 or 2 firestorms and he will be gone..

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
Awesome story
Bravo, sir. The fact that he 'resigned' and didn't rage quit or anything is a testament to the playerbase. And kudos to both of you for slogging it out!

I have been missing hardcore gaming lately, what with something of a new lifestyle and no PS3 at the moment. It's stories like this that keep me from going totally cold turkey, thanks :)

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
cnizzle06 said:
I'm with you.

Seriously.

Fuck it.

World 5 is simple.
In 5-2, all you have to do is hug the right wall when you get to the swamp and cross through. You'll end up at the right of little island with the giant depraved bitch. WALK behind them and voilá. Same thing can be done on the second island with two giant bitches, snipe the shaman and then sneak past them.
Poison can be a problem but as long as you keep it checked it poses no real danger. A few royal lotus and some grass is all you need. Thief's Ring is a must.

I'll take world 5 before 4 anyday. Damn shadowfuckers.

DuendeSmoker said:
World 5 is simple.
In 5-2, all you have to do is hug the right wall when you get to the swamp and cross through. You'll end up at the right of little island with the giant depraved bitch. WALK behind them and voilá. Same thing can be done on the second island with two giant bitches, snipe the shaman and then sneak past them.
Poison can be a problem but as long as you keep it checked it poses no real danger. A few royal lotus and some grass is all you need. Thief's Ring is a must.

I'll take world 5 before 4 anyday. Damn shadowfuckers.
the reaper things weren't that hard for me, they killed me a few times but most of the time i destroyed them before they could even do anything because i was
two handing a meat cleaver

and i basically just did your strategy and avoided the islands with the giant depraved ones altogether. i remember falling to the island with 4 of them before unlocking the shortcut and i was literally screaming in my apartment for 5 minutes straight because i had to spend thirty minutes getting back through the swamps... :(

still, beyond fucking stoked for dark souls. game looks incredible and i have a feeling it will top demons souls for me. demons souls is still my favorite game this gen and maybe last gen too, although ninja gaiden absolutely ruined action games for me.

edit: forgot to mention the story of 3-3 earlier this page, that was a truly epic read. i wish mine turned out like that, mine was just
ambushing the guy as soon as he entered with the dragon bone smasher, then as he tried to roll away i sprinted to him and backstabbed him.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
mooglesoft said:
the reaper things weren't that hard for me, they killed me a few times but most of the time i destroyed them before they could even do anything because i was
two handing a meat cleaver

The first reaper is easy enough. The second can get tricky because of the kamehameha shadows, but still not too troublesome. The third one is the fucker that gets me every time. I have a horrible timing when it comes to this guy, and I don't know why! Last time I tried to be the flash and just ran past him, got a soul arrow in the back, instakill. Then I tried to bumrush, got kamehameha'd. Then I decided to go all out with my DBS, I used the overhead attack, hit the wall, kamehameha'd and soul arrow'd up in this bitch.

Eventually I made past the guy but goddamn, this part is the worst for me, and the main reason why I tend to avoid world 4 like the plague.

Hanmik said:
If you want an easy way to kill the maneaters... then read on:

Have a bow and lots of heavy arrows (or normal if you only have them). Go up to the Maneaters Fog door. DO NOT ENTER.. take your bow, go to the far right of the door. And manually aim. You will see the first Maneater, standing there breathing fire. So just fire your arrows at it. It will die after lots of arrows.

Then just enter the fog door. Have Firestorm ready. Run to the center of the path (where the big firebrazier is) and circle the brazier. Hit him with 1 or 2 firestorms and he will be gone..
I have none of those things. For reasons I don't know, my wimpy arms can't handle a bow. I have a different plan. I am going to
run past him, then slowly walk backwards as I spam the fire ball spell. I hear that can work wonders. All I need is to keep my mana high.

johntown

Banned
Anslon said:
I have none of those things. For reasons I don't know, my wimpy arms can't handle a bow. I have a different plan. I am going to
run past him, then slowly walk backwards as I spam the fire ball spell. I hear that can work wonders. All I need is to keep my mana high.
Just keep the bonfire between you and the maneater and you will be fine. He can do his dash move through the bonfire though.

Anslon said:

the trick for me was
to work on one until the second one arrives, then run back and forth until they separate and you can face them one at a time. i think the thief ring may be helpful or necessary for this but its been a while
. and, as with the rest of the game, patience.

dantehemi

Just started playing the game.
I'm having a very hard time beating the first level. (is this normal?)
My character is royalty
How do you become better at this game? I really want to give it a play through with everything you guys are saying about it. But fuck I can't even survive the first level I'm supposed to play. It's getting frustrating. Any tips or advice on how to make this more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks .

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
dantehemi said:
My character is royalty
How do you become better at this game? I really want to give it a play through with everything you guys are saying about it. But fuck I can't even survive the first level I'm supposed to play. It's getting frustrating. Any tips or advice on how to make this more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks .

Kill. Don't get killed.

Translating: Don't bumrush, unless you absolutely know what's up ahead and know how to counter it. Avoid taking several enemies at once, try to separate and engage them 1-on-1 whenever possible. Remember, you're not the motherfucking Bayonetta. R3 locks the cam on the bad guys, use it.

Also, as royalty you started with the fragrant ring, so abuse your spell and, when out of mp, chill out somewhere safe and let that delicious mp recover.

And one last thing, treasure the souls of bosses. They're more useful than tasty, so don't eat them.

dantehemi said:
My character is royalty

Thanks .
It's hugely normal to die LOTS immediately. Are you in the first area of Boleteria palace (the castle area) or in the tutorial level? If it's the tutorial level, don't worry about killing the boss, I'd say it's impossible on your virgin play-through.

You will become familiar with where enemies are, so use that to your advantage. There are two rings in 1-1 the first area, that will help you a lot throughout the game, so look out for them.

BLOCK a lot. Often you can kill an enemy just by blocking with your shield, letting them get their hit in then countering whilst they're recoiling. Don't worry about losing souls, it's frustrating at first to lose a few thousand souls, but you will soon learn that a few thousand is peanuts and not worth sweating over.

Don't try and take on the red eyed knight, he will kill you. dead. immediately. BUT he is a good source of souls early on in the game, so lure him to the indoor stairwell once you've taken out everyone else in there and on top of that battlement. With good timing you can make him fall down and die right at the top - stand just below the top of the stairs just after where the two explosive barrels are/were - if he doesn't go for it, and it's a 50/50 kind of thing - lure him to the bottom and he will make his way past the bottomless pit around the corner from the bottom of the stairs, stand on the other side of the pit and watch him charge at you and die - you don't get his item (usually healing herbs) but you get his souls - easy peasy.

dantehemi

I finally beat 1-1

I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Is there any type of demon should wiki online or any type of page that I can read about demon souls and it can help me with equipment and a walkthrough for when I get stuck or fed up with certain parts.

Joei

dantehemi said:
I finally beat 1-1

I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Is there any type of demon should wiki online or any type of page that I can read about demon souls and it can help me with equipment and a walkthrough for when I get stuck or fed up with certain parts.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home

Bookmark it. Make love to it. You will likely refer to this site a million times.

MechaX

I second looking at the Wiki. It is literally invaluable in terms of knowing everything about the game. You don't even have to use the wiki as a verbatim guide, but there is a lot of benefit in knowing some stuff ahead of time because there are a lot of ways that will make the early phases of the game very manageable (which I thought was the hardest part; not knowing things and not being in a good position to make mistakes because of low health, strength, shit weapons, etc).

At the very least, make sure you get to reading on World Tendency and Character Tendency events before moving forward. There are a lot of very good, but once-per-playthrough items that solely rely on World/Character Tendency and they are not very easy, if not impossible to fix after the fact.

And don't do what my friends did by deciding to use all the boss demon souls on themselves. Save them. (Deposit them with Stockpile Thomas to get them out of your way until you need them) You will appreciate this advice later in the game.

Joei

MechaX said:
I second looking at the Wiki. It is literally invaluable in terms of knowing everything about the game. You don't even have to use the wiki as a verbatim guide, but there is a lot of benefit in knowing some stuff ahead of time because there are a lot of ways that will make the early phases of the game very manageable (which I thought was the hardest part; not knowing things and not being in a good position to make mistakes because of low health, strength, shit weapons, etc).

At the very least, make sure you get to reading on World Tendency and Character Tendency events before moving forward. There are a lot of very good, but once-per-playthrough items that solely rely on World/Character Tendency and they are not very easy, if not impossible to fix after the fact.

And don't do what my friends did by deciding to use all the boss demon souls on themselves. Save them. (Deposit them with Stockpile Thomas to get them out of your way until you need them) You will appreciate this advice later in the game.

For the most part, I agree, but not so much with the World Tendency stuff. I really wouldn't even worry about that until NG+. Just enjoy the game, don't worry about purposely dying in the Nexus or playing offline to control your WT, etc. The stuff might be interesting to know if you can figure out the stuff behind WT, but it's not something to put too much stock into the first time through the game.

MechaX

Joei said:
For the most part, I agree, but not so much with the World Tendency stuff. I really wouldn't even worry about that until NG+. Just enjoy the game, don't worry about purposely dying in the Nexus or playing offline to control your WT, etc. The stuff might be interesting to know if you can figure out the stuff behind WT, but it's not something to put too much stock into the first time through the game.

I slightly disagree; I agree that you probably don't have to (and probably shouldn't) worry about Black World Tendency at all during your first playthrough. But there are a lot of White World Tendency events that give good rewards and you don't have to put a great amount of effort into building up White Tendency at all (you can play normally and still get White Tendency without skipping a beat). Character Tendency isn't that hard to alter too and I guess he would have to look up some of the rewards for Character Tendency himself to judge whether or not they would be useful for his build.

Joei

MechaX said:
I slightly disagree; I agree that you probably don't have to (and probably shouldn't) worry about Black World Tendency at all during your first playthrough. But there are a lot of White World Tendency events that give good rewards and you don't have to put a great amount of effort into building up White Tendency at all (you can play normally and still get White Tendency without skipping a beat). Character Tendency isn't that hard to alter too and I guess he would have to look up some of the rewards for Character Tendency himself to judge whether or not they would be useful for his build.

Yeah, you do have some good points.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Does trophy boosting ever happen in this thread? While this game is my all time favorite of this generation, I've never been enough of a trophy whore to bother grinding out the weapon trophies as it just ain't fun. Do you guys ever meet up and just drop/pick up weapons for the trophies? If so..send me a PM haha. My main is around soul level..I forgot..somewhere between 125-150. I figured finishing off the trophies in this game would hype me up even more for Dark.

Mxrz

I'm not sure I ever built a character (that wasn't over leveled for its cycle) that could straight up fight the giant trolls in 5-2. You can't dodge them that well, and you can't really tank their hits (Maybe if you have full brushwood/shield?) either.

I haven't played much lately, but I usually spend most of my time on my sl70 invaders. On a lark I loaded up the sl180 I used to platinum the game. (Grew bored farming pure bladestone, leveled up for the hell of it). She had 1500 health in body form. I ran through 1-2 easy enough, and then Tower Knight 1-shotted her with his shield smash. Must've been on cycle 4 or 5 with her. Good times.

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I played and didn't get far at all. This game is a freaking mountain climb and then some, but I am enjoying the grind of knowing how enemies might attack. It's fun so far.

KidDork

Just combed this entire city trying to find a copy of this game, and finally found one way the hell at the north end of the city. Since the store was close to the university, they jacked the prices on all the Greatest Hits games to $29, with the exception of....Demon's Souls.

So it's like DESTINY that I play it.

And that I only had $25 in my wallet.

3 rings and 3 spells away from Plat. Accidentally killed the bag lady in 5-1 on NG++ so my CT dropped, I am hoping it didn't drop enough that I can take out the BP's in this run and get my friends ring I really don't want to do any more BP after this...

Spells I need are Death Cloud, Relief, and the Soulsucker spell. Its so close.

Alright you Demon's Souls fanatics, after a lot of failed starts in this game, I think I finally "get" this game.

Ever since I got a PS3 a year ago, I've been trying so freaking hard to get into this game and I've never saw what was so good about it. This is my 3rd attempt to restart this game from the beginning and try to get into it and I finally understand it. So far I took out 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 3-1 bosses and I'm pretty sure I got the hang of this game. Slow and steady and grinding seem to be the name of the game. I'm starting to enjoy the game now that I have higher stats and getting used to learning enemies attacks and weaknesses. Those blue face knights in 1-1 are little pawns now when at one point they were a nightmare when I started the game out. I like the hint system in the game as well as the bloodstains and white tip ghosts that run around.

There are still things about the game I dont really like, for example the lack of music(yeah yeah I know its supposed to add to the atmosphere, but trudging through some of the areas gets a little boring). The other thing that I hate is there are some things about the game that just aren't explained well. Like the runes in the menus, its kind of dumb you have to check the instruction booklet just to learn what they meant(unless theres a way in game you can check). The other thing is the world tendency stuff as well as the entering of other users worlds. I still really dont fully understand how this stuff works so I leave it alone. I know the game obviously doesnt handhold much, but it couldnt've hurt to put better explanations in. The tutorial at the beginning of the game wasn't enough, imo. But for the most part these are more small things and just a little frustrating if you're starting the game for the first time.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish this game at least once so I'm ready for Dark Souls this October.

weekend_warrior said:
If you haven't already, this needs to be bookmarked. It will explain every thing much better, as well as help you understand the upgrading system, a must have for the novice demon hunter.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Oh yeah I've been consulting it constantly and its helped a lot especially with upgrading certain weapons. I never would've known to keep the material to get the lava bow without it. ;)

Could someone SL 285 +/- 38 please spare me a friend ring? I'm really close to plating the game, but my character is pure black, I need to get the foe ring as well. As you all know, both at different ends of the spectrum..2 play throughs just to get back to pure white.

NA server

Any help would be much appreciated. I want to finally put this game to rest before I go insane with Dark Souls. B)

On my second character and Ostrava is dead again, so I can't get the Mausoleum key. :/

I saw him sat on the steps in 1-4 just after the dragon, is this where he gives you the key? I spoke to him once, but I'm guessing you have to speak to him more than once or something like a lot of other NPCs till they do something specific.

Red Liquorice said:
On my second character and Ostrava is dead again, so I can't get the Mausoleum key. :/

I saw him sat on the steps in 1-4 just after the dragon, is this where he gives you the key? I spoke to him once, but I'm guessing you have to speak to him more than once or something like a lot of other NPCs till they do something specific.
You get the key when he
dies, which should happen if you speak to hm just once in 1-4.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Red Liquorice said:

I thought he drops the key when he dies, no matter how he dies, even by your own hand. Just kill that fool and take it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yeah, just get it over with and
kill him
. It's not worth the pain of the ass of rescuing him so many times. The brass telescope is useless, Dark Moon grass is found elsewhere, and Pure Clearstone is dropped by lizards in 2-3. All those items are dupable anyway, someone here can hook you up if you really want them. The key though, you can't get that shit unless
he dies.
You'll go a couple of points towards black character tendency if
you kill him yourself
but you can undo those by killing named npc/player black phantoms.

electroshockwave said:
You get the key when he
dies, which should happen if you speak to hm just once in 1-4.
Talked to him, didn't see anything else happen - from looking on YT it seems like he says a lot more than he did when I spoke to him, and I certainly didn't see any death animation. Killed the black phantom version, but no item on the stairs where Ostrava was sat.

I think I'm probably done now any way. 5-2 is far too stupid. I had to turn the brightness on my TV and in game all the way up just to get even a tiny semblance of orientation. Only to get continually one-hit killed by the black phantom and/or big baddies in that level.

I got sick of continually doing that, so went for the storm king, which is a two hit kill situation just from the small flying sting ray things, which you can't roll dodge because their spike attacks are somewhat homing, and my knight can't roll very fast, so roll once or twice, then out of stamina and get killed by the next attack - soul ray is rubbish on these - hit one it takes half it's life, but get killed by it's own attack and that from another one whilst in spell animation.

Here's where hard has turned to stupid and lots of grinding if I want to continue, which is past my pleasure/annoyance ratio. So I'm done. Great game, shitty end section, lots of one time only things you can easily miss unless you are glued to and following religiously a wiki or guide because the game will never tell you about them. Two characters up to late 70s SL and hours and hours of gameplay - that's money well spent, but I'm out.

Top Bottom