• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

johntown

Banned
Red Liquorice said:
Talked to him, didn't see anything else happen - from looking on YT it seems like he says a lot more than he did when I spoke to him, and I certainly didn't see any death animation. Killed the black phantom version, but no item on the stairs where Ostrava was sat.

I think I'm probably done now any way. 5-2 is far too stupid. I had to turn the brightness on my TV and in game all the way up just to get even a tiny semblance of orientation. Only to get continually one-hit killed by the black phantom and/or big baddies in that level.

I got sick of continually doing that, so went for the storm king, which is a two hit kill situation just from the small flying sting ray things, which you can't roll dodge because their spike attacks are somewhat homing, and my knight can't roll very fast, so roll once or twice, then out of stamina and get killed by the next attack - soul ray is rubbish on these - hit one it takes half it's life, but get killed by it's own attack and that from another one whilst in spell animation.

Here's where hard has turned to stupid and lots of grinding if I want to continue, which is past my pleasure/annoyance ratio. So I'm done. Great game, shitty end section, lots of one time only things you can easily miss unless you are glued to and following religiously a wiki or guide because the game will never tell you about them. Two characters up to late 70s SL and hours and hours of gameplay - that's money well spent, but I'm out.
5-2 can be annoying but the level is suppossed to be very dark and hard to see. I recommend taking off any amor if you are wearing it......go close to the islands where the BP patrols but not too close and keep heading straight and that will take you right to the first big island with a Giant Depraved One..........move very slowly as close as you can get to the ramp that leads to the fist fog gate then go right to it.

Do you have a bow for the stingrays? If not then you really need to ditch the armor so you can roll and move better.

Red Liquorice said:
Talked to him, didn't see anything else happen - from looking on YT it seems like he says a lot more than he did when I spoke to him, and I certainly didn't see any death animation. Killed the black phantom version, but no item on the stairs where Ostrava was sat.

I think I'm probably done now any way. 5-2 is far too stupid. I had to turn the brightness on my TV and in game all the way up just to get even a tiny semblance of orientation. Only to get continually one-hit killed by the black phantom and/or big baddies in that level.

I got sick of continually doing that, so went for the storm king, which is a two hit kill situation just from the small flying sting ray things, which you can't roll dodge because their spike attacks are somewhat homing, and my knight can't roll very fast, so roll once or twice, then out of stamina and get killed by the next attack - soul ray is rubbish on these - hit one it takes half it's life, but get killed by it's own attack and that from another one whilst in spell animation.
You can easily dodge the sting ray's attacks if you roll or sprint. Take off armour to roll faster. Your timing might be a little off too as you shouldn't need to roll twice. You can learn the pattern to hear their attack sound then roll once perpendicular to the the direction that the attack is coming from. It sounds like your magic isn't very high either as on NG Soul Ray should tear them up.
If you sprint past the storm beasts at the start and go down to the left where there are two crystal lizards you can find a sword that has a special effect in 4-3 and can take down many of them at once.

For 5-2 you could equip the thief's ring and run around the tougher enemies. You'll need a decent amount of Royal lotus or regen gear as you'll be spending most of your time in the swamp. Alternatively you can learn to fight tough opponents on the pockets of land. The giants have very slow attack patterns that shouldn't be a problem if you are able to roll back. 5-2 is dark but you can see everything you need to.

I understand if you want to quit but it seems like you've only got 3 more levels to beat before the endgame. A soul level in the 70s is more than enough to get past these parts so you have no real need to grind. That just sounds like a bad habit you've picked up in other RPGs when you hit a wall.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yeah the fact that you're still referring to your character as "knight" and not "spellsword", "mage", "faith build", "dex build" etc... tells me you haven't done a good job of building your character. I've never had to grind in this game for levels. Early on I farmed for souls to buy grasses but that's because I had no idea what to do. But by level 70 I already knew what to do. Even by level 70 you should have one or two stats that are high enough for your character to be specialized. Having stats that are "jack of all trades and master of none" is a recipe for disaster.

That you're still not rolling properly is also telling. DO NOT go over 50% of your equip burden. Rolling quickly is far far more important than armor. Mix and and match your armor sets and your weapons to find the balance that works best for the particular situation while not exceeding that 50% threshhold. Don't use the same armor, rings, and weapons all the time, unless you've mastered a particular layout.

Red Liquorice said:

Here's where hard has turned to stupid and lots of grinding if I want to continue, which is past my pleasure/annoyance ratio. So I'm done. Great game, shitty end section, lots of one time only things you can easily miss unless you are glued to and following religiously a wiki or guide because the game will never tell you about them. Two characters up to late 70s SL and hours and hours of gameplay - that's money well spent, but I'm out.

Yep, Demons Souls is hard, and that's what make it so great. Most games hold your hands the entire way, telling you what to do, how to do it, way to to do it. Not Demons Souls, it never tells you to stock up on Royal Lotus before attempting 5-2, or that wearing heavy armor isnt smart when you need to roll a lot to avoid attacks. Those are things you have to figure out yourself.

Joei

Red Liquorice said:

Wow... when you play the game and figure out how it works, it's very, very managable. I'm almost done with the game (just have 5-2, 5-3, and 2-4 left) and I'm only SL28... and that's honestly a few levels too high since I have 2 extra levels in DEX that I don't need (it's @ 18 and *could* be 16).

All that said, I just recently did The Old Monk and I was HOPING I'd get to fight in a PvP, but no one was on :(. I've been getted invaded since I've been playing online, and, initially, I was so worried about it thinking I was going to consistently get my ass handed to me, but I've really held my own against the Black Phantoms winning far more often than losing. One time when I was going through 3-2, the same guy invaded me a few times (I would leave the level here and there to drop stuff off or fill up on arrows, etc.) and I kept beating him, it was pretty funny. On my first character I played offline for the majority of the game and didn't have to deal with getting invaded, plus my first character's stats were all over the place. I can't wait to play someone in 3-2. I'm gonna get my acid cloud in 5-2 first though.

Also, none of the bosses have given me trouble at this level, but what the hell about the Maneater? Was that boss intended to be fought co-op? I honestly can't think of a legit way to kill it single-player. I used the Thief ring trick of running to the opposite end and having the first one lose track of me, but it seems so "cheap." And no way I could kill the first one in under 100 seconds at my level. I came close, but he always flew away or was way out of range for too long.

johntown

Banned
Joei said:
Wow... when you play the game and figure out how it works, it's very, very managable. I'm almost done with the game (just have 5-2, 5-3, and 2-4 left) and I'm only SL28.

2-4?? How did you get there? I assume you mean 1-4 lol.

cnizzle06

Banned
So I've beat the game! Kudos to me :3

I'm on my second play-through now and my god is it hard. Everything seems to be kicking my ass. I feel so under-powered :\

cnizzle06 said:

I'm on my second play-through now and my god is it hard. Everything seems to be kicking my ass. I feel so under-powered :\

*bows*

I'm racing to beat this before Dark Souls comes out but I doubt that will happen. This game is beating the crap out of me.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
mintypixel said:
*bows*

I'm racing to beat this before Dark Souls comes out but I doubt that will happen. This game is beating the crap out of me.

You've still got a month! And we'll keep cheering you on.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
derder said:
I don't have a ps3, do I have to play the first one to know the story or can I just use wikipedia?

The games are related in spirit only. No need to touch the first game, but you're missing out.

johntown

Banned
cnizzle06 said:

Great job! You will feel underpowered until you can beat several levels........after that everything starts to even out again.

IMO Second Chance is an absolute must in NG+.

johntown said:
Great job! You will feel underpowered until you can beat several levels........after that everything starts to even out again.

IMO Second Chance is an absolute must in NG+.
This can not be stressed enough!

LaB_NL

Never used Second Chance in any of my 15 playhroughs. :p Warding is my must-have spell.

Does anyone want to trade me a Pure Darkmoonstone for...wel...anything?
(Asian server, SL 155 or SL 40, Gaf username = PSN)

johntown

Banned
LaB_NL said:
Never used Second Chance in any of my 15 playhroughs. :p Warding is my must-have spell.

Does anyone want to trade me a Pure Darkmoonstone for...wel...anything?
(Asian server, SL 155 or SL 40, Gaf username = PSN)
I have an extra one but I am not on the asian servers.

What you can do to get it is......get world 4-2 pure black, kill the hidden passage crystal gecko with a bow, see if it dropped a pure darkmoonstone, if it did your golden.......if not hit the PS button and quit the game and then reload your save and try again. I did it this way but then sure enough once I beat the 4-3 boss one of thos geckos there dropped another one.

BTW with using warding.......what do you do against magical attacks?

LaB_NL

johntown said:
I have an extra one but I am not on the asian servers.

Thanks, but I just found one! Soooo:

4au9J.jpg

I'm done untill Dark Souls. :)

I have died several more times to the boss of 3-2. I think I'll take some time to farm up some souls. I got lost while trying to find the boss fight room, I walked right past the stairs, and found a guy trapped in a cage. The voices on the ground told me to kill him so I did, but I stupidly rolled off the edge of the platform for reasons I can't quite say. I turned off the PS3 as quickly as I could, but when I restarted the game, the man was gone and no loot was to be had. Did I miss out on his drops?

johntown

Banned
Anslon said:
I have died several more times to the boss of 3-2. I think I'll take some time to farm up some souls. I got lost while trying to find the boss fight room, I walked right past the stairs, and found a guy trapped in a cage. The voices on the ground told me to kill him so I did, but I stupidly rolled off the edge of the platform for reasons I can't quite say. I turned off the PS3 as quickly as I could, but when I restarted the game, the man was gone and no loot was to be had. Did I miss out on his drops?

Yes you missed loot. It is possible to get it depending on where he fell in the swamp.

LaB_NL

Anslon said:
Did I miss out on his drops?

As johntown said yes. In fact this armor set.

As you described Yurt didn't fall of the platform, so the armor could still be on the platform or at the base of the tower. Step into Yurt's cage to take the elevator down and go check.

Also keep in mind his loot is quite heavy (29.9 total) so prepare yourself if you want to take it with you.

cj_iwakura

Elisabeth is my first truly PvP viable character. Feels good to actually have a chance.

Sharp Winged Spear +5 & Light Weapon & Purple Flame Shield.

Dragon Knight Sword + 5 is my backup. Not the most down and dirty equipment, but it gets the job done way better than a scimitar and/or Northern Regalia.

I still get wrecked by Mirdan Hammer users, but ah well.

MechaX

Man, I swear, NG+ is essentially "Glass Cannon" mode for me. I can still do ridiculous amounts of damage with my strength build + Dragon Bone Smasher (I'll love that weapon a little bit too much), but man has my defense punched through the bottom of the barrel. I swore I got one-shotted by everything that looked at me funny when I was messing with Pure Black World Tendencies on 2-2.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so I've killed the Phalanx, the Tower Knight, the Spider, the Adjuducior, the Fool's Doll, and finally the Blob thing from The Valley of Defilement.

What should I tackle next? Because each level seems to be kicking my ass in its own special way.

ahoyhoy said:
Okay, so I've killed the Phalanx, the Tower Knight, the Spider, the Adjuducior, the Fool's Doll, and finally the Blob thing from The Valley of Defilement.

What should I tackle next? Because each level seems to be kicking my ass in its own special way.

2-2, flamelurker, get his soul and you can start building new weapons. 2-2 is also filled with crystal lizards, so be sure you bring a bow and arrows.

DryvBy

I really hope Dark Souls has a more traditional invite system for co-op. Me and Johntown have been trying for like 15 minutes to get into the same game. I'm 165, he's 155, and we just can't do it.

DryvBy

Does anyone know how to join a friend's game? We're both SL close, NA servers, but we just can't see each other's blue stone drops.

*Edit: We got it.

Can anyone help me get the friend's ring? I'm level ~165, just need someone to drop and it and let me pick it up so the trophy pops and I'll give it back. That or invade me and let me kill you once or twice.

Dreaver

So I just started playing this game. I died a lot. Now I was almost at the end (I looked on Youtube) to unlock the the door for the boss.

So it's frustrating dying almost at the end after quite some time. I am thinking about playing it with a walkthrough... I am afraid I will miss loads of shortcuts. :x

MechaX

ahoyhoy said:

I second Flamelurker on 2-2. Hell, you should probably just finish up 2-3 immediately after that, since it's pretty short. Then do 1-3, then 3-2, 4-2, finish out World 3 and 4, finish the rest of world 5 (Just as a warning; world 5-2 is going to fucking suck. It's going to suck even worse if you get invaded), and save 1-4 for last.

Dreaver said:
So I just started playing this game. I died a lot. Now I was almost at the end (I looked on Youtube) to unlock the the door for the boss.

So it's frustrating dying almost at the end after quite some time. I am thinking about playing it with a walkthrough... I am afraid I will miss loads of shortcuts. :x

Welcome to Demon's Souls. Enjoy your stay (the beginning is always the worst due to its near-vertical difficulty scale; it gets much easier once you realize that the game is actually predicable in how it tries to screw players). If you want to use a walkthrough, the Demon's Souls wiki is the only answer.

24FrameDaVinci said:
I earned 60k souls and died twice in the Shrine of Storms. I nearly smashed my controller into a thousand pieces but somehow remained calm, turned the PS3 off and began browsing GAF in tears lol

Once you get the necessary items (by necessary, I mean like a ring and a bracelet), you can probably make that amount in Shrine of Storms in like 10 minutes.

I earned 60k souls and died twice in the Shrine of Storms. I nearly smashed my controller into a thousand pieces but somehow remained calm, turned the PS3 off and began browsing GAF in tears lol

Gregorn

I'm playing through this again as a Mage, which I remember reading is easy mode. But GOD is 4-2 annoying. 1-3, 2-3, 3-3 & 5-1 are done but I just can't make it through 4-2 without dying. I feel as if I've got a strategy for almost every encounter but still always die, especially on the 3rd reaper.

Pretty much everyone one hit kills me or makes me roll to my death. =/

Spiffy_1st said:
I'm playing through this again as a Mage, which I remember reading is easy mode. But GOD is 4-2 annoying. 1-3, 2-3, 3-3 & 5-1 are done but I just can't make it through 4-2 without dying. I feel as if I've got a strategy for almost every encounter but still always die, especially on the 3rd reaper.

Pretty much everyone one hit kills me or makes me roll to my death. =/

Do you have a shield that has decent magic reduction? The Tower Shield or anything that can be upgraded with cloudstone would work. That will make the shadowlurkers easier. As for the last reaper, the one hiding around the corner, I always run right pass it and down the stairs, just make sure you turn around quickly to deflect it's soul ray. Then you can just leave it and get to the boss.

stupei

This is a bit of a lame noob question I'm sure, but I'm playing through for the first time and am too afraid to test it for myself: the exploding barrels, can you hit them with a blunt or piercing weapon to safely break them? Because I think I remember breaking a few with my sword early on but I've been afraid to try it out again ever since I realized they can explode when they come in contact with fire.

Don't know if I'm remembering correctly or not.

It's been a while since I played the game, but I'm pretty sure they'll explode if you hit them with a weapon. Try using an arrow or a throwing knife instead.

The barrels are OK to smash/slash. They will explode if you hit them with a flame-enhanced weapon though (don't know about anything else, but flames definately).

McLovin

Anything with fire will make them blow up. Using Any weapon weapons or rolling on them works fine, unless you have a fire effect on your weapon. I never tried it but I'm guessing they would blow.

24FrameDaVinci said:

I feel your pain, I lost about 75k on world 4-2 during my first playthrough. Try not to feel that bad about it, you can get about 60k from one run of 4-2.

So, after rage quitting the game over a year ago on Phalanx (who I know realize is a complete pushover) I decided to dive back in to prepare myself for Dark Souls.

I'm making good progress now. Beat Tower Knight on my first try. Do I have what it takes to go all the way GAF? :p

I'm not sure if I'm spending my souls properly. I'm a Knight and I've been investing in Vitality, Endurance and Strength mostly, with a few levels in Intelligence and Magic. What sort of spells should I be buying at this stage? Is there any point in upgrading a standard long sword?

EasyMode

weekend_warrior said:
Can anyone help me get the bladestone sword trophy? I've got characters at level 19, 65, and 169, and I can buff them if needed. HELP!
If you can get in range of my SL 122 character, I can help you out. Send me a PM on gaf if you want it.

MrCookiepants said:
I'm making good progress now. Beat Tower Knight on my first try. Do I have what it takes to go all the way GAF? :p

I'm not sure if I'm spending my souls properly. I'm a Knight and I've been investing in Vitality, Endurance and Strength mostly, with a few levels in Intelligence and Magic. What sort of spells should I be buying at this stage? Is there any point in upgrading a standard long sword?
Yeah, you can do it. I even read a bunch of posts from people who gave up on the game because of Tower Knight. And if you get stuck, you can always summon or ask gaf for help.

Vit, End, and Str are good stats for a melee charater, so I'd say you're on the right track. IMO, I would level Int to 15 and stop leveling magic if you want to specialize in melee. But since you asked, soul arrow and flame toss are nice ranged spells to have. If you saved that Tower Knight soul, you can learn Warding later on which is a very good defensive spell.

The long sword is fine to upgrade for a first run, and I've beaten the game with it.

Whew, thanks to EasyMode for sharing a pure bladestone, saved me a lot of time farming. Finally finished off the Platinum. Now I can start a SL10 playthrough!

Top Bottom