• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

stupei

Thanks for the help, guys!

This game is so much better than I'd really anticipated. I've been intrigued for a while but pretty reluctant because I'm the kind of person who can become easily frustrated with games. Not controller breaking, but I definitely let a lot of games get under my skin and ruin my mood sometimes. But not this game.

Admittedly I'm playing as Royalty right now, which I guess is a pretty easy class, but overall it's not frustrating like I'd expected. Sure, it can be tricky at times. Sure, it can get demanding, but mostly in that it actually expects you to play attention to the game you're playing and to think. Somehow in the context of a lot of modern games, that feels like a lot to ask. (Although, okay: I'm still a little terrified of starting 3-1.)

In summary: this game is really awesome, I wish I'd started it sooner.

Canova

Banned
stupei said:
Thanks for the help, guys!

This game is so much better than I'd really anticipated. I've been intrigued for a while but pretty reluctant because I'm the kind of person who can become easily frustrated with games. Not controller breaking, but I definitely let a lot of games get under my skin and ruin my mood sometimes. But not this game.

Admittedly I'm playing as Royalty right now, which I guess is a pretty easy class, but overall it's not frustrating like I'd expected. Sure, it can be tricky at times. Sure, it can get demanding, but mostly in that it actually expects you to play attention to the game you're playing and to think. Somehow in the context of a lot of modern games, that feels like a lot to ask. (Although, okay: I'm still a little terrified of starting 3-1.)

In summary: this game is really awesome, I wish I'd started it sooner.

once you finish with royal class, you should try melee class. the game will feel much different when you fight your enemies close

EasyMode said:
Yeah, you can do it. I even read a bunch of posts from people who gave up on the game because of Tower Knight. And if you get stuck, you can always summon or ask gaf for help.

Vit, End, and Str are good stats for a melee charater, so I'd say you're on the right track. IMO, I would level Int to 15 and stop leveling magic if you want to specialize in melee. But since you asked, soul arrow and flame toss are nice ranged spells to have. If you saved that Tower Knight soul, you can learn Warding later on which is a very good defensive spell.

The long sword is fine to upgrade for a first run, and I've beaten the game with it.

I think the difficulty is really in some people's heads. You get to the boss, it looks intimidating as fuck, you don't know what you're doing and he kills you in 2 hits or less. It's easy to give up if that happens a few times, but he really wasn't that bad. I had about 40 crescent moongrass so that helped. :p

I am predominantly melee, but after seeing how effective flame toss was on those nasty blue eyed knights I thought it'd be worth upgrading. I've been saving my demon's souls because I heard they can be put to better use later. Thanks!

So I started playing Demon's Souls a few days ago and am addicted. Strangely the game it reminds me of most is Pixeljunk Monsters...both games kill you a huge number of times, but each time you play you get just a little bit closer to victory.

I've beat 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3 so far and am now getting my ass kicked by the 4-1 boss, who kills me with his tentacles as soon as I get into the room.

A question...is it true they are taking down the servers very soon, now that Dark Souls is almost out?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Through October 2011 is what Atlus has said.

As for 4-1 boss Adjudicator. Don't stay on the top of the room, haul ass down stairs and fight him head to head. It might seem intimidating but he's much easier that way.

stupei

Canova said:
once you finish with royal class, you should try melee class. the game will feel much different when you fight your enemies close

I've been thinking that I'd like to. There are definitely some enemy types that I've preferred to take on head to head, but there are some fights (like the 2-1 boss) that I find it hard to imagine doing straight melee. It really has to be a completely different game.

stupei said:
I've been thinking that I'd like to. There are definitely some enemy types that I've preferred to take on head to head, but there are some fights (like the 2-1 boss) that I find it hard to imagine doing straight melee. It really has to be a completely different game.

2-1 boss is the spider thing, right? I just beat him easily without using magic (I did watch the fight on youtube beforehand though).

Not sure where I should be going now. Got half eaten by rats and then fell off a ledge in 5-1. Yeah, won't be returning to that place any time soon. D:

bone_and_sinew

stupei said:
All boss fights can be done straight melee. You just need the right equipment and skills.

After wanting to kill myself and smash the TV because of 5-2, I did actually go back and complete the game. The bosses of 5-2 and 5-3 were thankfully both simple.

The False King was, a pain in the ass - After a couple of attempts I used the cheesy method of standing just inside the fog door and firing off arrows, I was doing fine till I came out of arrow view (?!) to do something (I forget what, use a spell or something) and as I go back into using the bow I notice he's almost up in my face and he still had about 40% health left. I thought I was fucked, but went with it, melee was going OK down to very little health, but he somehow cornered me at the bottom of the stairs and used his soul level drain move TWICE! I had zero health left, I mean there was not even a sliver of red on the bar, so I thought I was gone I'd even put the controller down, but my guy got up! I immediately grabbed it again and started slashing and managed to kill him just before he got me! Phew!

So after all that, I chose the 'bad' ending, and immediately went into NG+, fought Miralda which was fun because I'd always wondered what was down past the gate in 1-1, played right through till the fog gate to the Tower Knight, then called it a night. Now I'm wondering what is there left to do though besides do it all again just to, I dunno, get some trophies and rare weapons? I'm still enjoying the gameplay, but I'm not seeing anything new, so I think I will now move onto something else.

It's been a really amazing game, some frustrating moments more than any other game I can remember, but I have to say it's been worth it because it's probably my favourite game this gen and it's up there on the all time classics for me. :)

Red Liquorice said:
After wanting to kill myself and smash the TV because of 5-2, I did actually go back and complete the game. The bosses of 5-2 and 5-3 were thankfully both simple.

The False King was, a pain in the ass - After a couple of attempts I used the cheesy method of standing just inside the fog door and firing off arrows, I was doing fine till I came out of arrow view (?!) to do something (I forget what, use a spell or something) and as I go back into using the bow I notice he's almost up in my face and he still had about 40% health left. I thought I was fucked, but went with it, melee was going OK down to very little health, but he somehow cornered me at the bottom of the stairs and used his soul level drain move TWICE! I had zero health left, I mean there was not even a sliver of red on the bar, so I thought I was gone I'd even put the controller down, but my guy got up! I immediately grabbed it again and started slashing and managed to kill him just before he got me! Phew!

So after all that, I chose the 'bad' ending, and immediately went into NG+, fought Miralda which was fun because I'd always wondered what was down past the gate in 1-1, played right through till the fog gate to the Tower Knight, then called it a night. Now I'm wondering what is there left to do though besides do it all again just to, I dunno, get some trophies and rare weapons? I'm still enjoying the gameplay, but I'm not seeing anything new, so I think I will now move onto something else.

It's been a really amazing game, some frustrating moments more than any other game I can remember, but I have to say it's been worth it because it's probably my favourite game this gen and it's up there on the all time classics for me. :)

Multiplayer. I've been having fun with a strong low level character helping newbies beat bosses and defend against black phantoms.

weekend_warrior said:
Multiplayer. I've been having fun with a strong low level character helping newbies beat bosses and defend against black phantoms.
I guess. I've never had much luck with multiplayer. Don't know if it's the Euro servers being sparsely populated or what, but I've done a lot of waiting around.

bone_and_sinew

I got the platinum in like April and still played nearly-daily afterwards until my PS3 died, all of my post-platinum gametime was spent in multiplayer and experimenting with new characters. It's one of the few games this gen I've played for months after platinum'ing.

stupei said:
2-1 was so GLORIOUS as a melee character. rage-inducing, but glorious.

Was enjoying myself in 3-2 until I came along one of them octopus faced things. ;_; Explodey attack, paralyzey attack, kiss of death and I'm back to the beginning of the level.

I don't find this game particularly difficult (the first four bosses have collectively only killed me twice), it's just frustratingly unforgiving. There's nothing I hate more than repetition in games. I don't see myself ever finishing this :(

EasyMode

MrCookiepants said:
Was enjoying myself in 3-2 until I came along one of them octopus faced things. ;_; Explodey attack, paralyzey attack, kiss of death and I'm back to the beginning of the level.

I don't find this game particularly difficult (the first four bosses have collectively only killed me twice), it's just frustratingly unforgiving. There's nothing I hate more than repetition in games. I don't see myself ever finishing this :(
You were pretty close to opening up a big shortcut in that level. The mindflayers are weak to fire and pretty easy to backstab if you're wearing the thief's ring. A backstab may not kill in one hit though, since that's a black phantom with extra health.

MrCookiepants said:

Octo Heads were one of the most annoying enemies when I was new to the game. Scary unapproachable, killed me again and again...

Now I sprint through that level killing everything in my path and swat them like flies, even on a new playthrough with a weak character. Once you really understand how to fight them it won't be so bad.

bone_and_sinew

oracrest said:
Here's a pretty cool video showing the inside of From Software, and interviewing some of the team...

From Software studio profile
"Not chasing what's popular, but rather make games based on what we value." "we put enormous emphasis on simply making the kinds of games we want to make".

God bless this brave developer, Umbasa.

EasyMode said:
You were pretty close to opening up a big shortcut in that level. The mindflayers are weak to fire and pretty easy to backstab if you're wearing the thief's ring. A backstab may not kill in one hit though, since that's a black phantom with extra health.

Yeah. It wasn't as bad as I made it out. 3-2 is probably the easiest level so far apart from the boss. Speaking of which, I'm stuck on Maneater now. :p I hear he's the hardest boss in the game so if I can beat them I'll be fearless!

MrCookiepants said:
Yeah. It wasn't as bad as I made it out. 3-2 is probably the easiest level so far apart from the boss. Speaking of which, I'm stuck on Maneater now. :p I hear he's the hardest boss in the game so if I can beat them I'll be fearless!
Flamelurker gave me more trouble then any other boss in the game. Maneaters are kinda easy if you keep the pyre between you and them.

matmanx1

So after nearly a year hiatus I picked up Demon's Souls again today in preparation for Dark Souls. I've already beaten the game as a Royal on the Asian version but never actually beat the game on the US version even though I have a fairly well equipped lvl 74 sitting there.

Only things I have left are 5-2, 5-3 and the back part of Boletaria castle after beating Leechmonger on 5-1 tonight. I even got invaded on 5-2 and was able to choose my spot (the first little island off of the ramp going into the swamp) and beat the Phantom! It was like "welcome back to Demon's Souls, sucker!" and easily the highlight of my night.

Of course I then died shortly thereafter to a large Ratman that I let get too close but I had a good time doing it, and that's really what counts. =P Man I missed this game!

MechaX

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Flamelurker gave me more trouble then any other boss in the game. Maneaters are kinda easy if you keep the pyre between you and them.

I got pretty lucky with the Maneaters. I made sure to position myself where I would be knocked into a pillar as opposed to being knocked clear off the ledge. Up close, the thing telegraphs its attacks so obviously, so evasion isn't much of a problem.

Flamelurker was a bit of a bitch, though.

Compare this to my friend, who always got knocked clear off the ledge, couldn't fight him that effectively since he was a magic build and didn't have good spells, and got stuck on it for weeks. He eventually took advantage of some glitch to get up to like SL 600 or some shit and "beat" the game that way.

EasyMode

Anslon said:
I am ready to be done with the man eater. Anyone up for helping me? I have gone 0/12 on this thing. It's time I even the odds.
I don't think I have any mid-level characters at the moment, but could you post your soul level and what region you're in?

EasyMode

Anslon said:
USA, is that a region? SL 38.
Yeah, well North American region anyways. I don't have a character in that range, sorry :(

I just wanted the info to be sure, but someone else might see that though and lend a hand.

johntown

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I have yet to finish Demon's Souls. When the servers get shut down, will it be impossible to play this game?
Nope......if they actually get shutdown. There will not be any kind of multiplayer componet in the game.

No invading
No blue phantom assistance
No notes or bloodstaines
No duping items with other players
No 3-3 PVP boss fight

Wallachia

oracrest said:
I may have a guy in range...

PSN: sonofmaneater

I'll help you kill my father(s)

I can be on later, after 8ish, central time.

I am close to that range as well. Add me, might be on late PM tonight, PST
Untaken1

Anslon said:
I am ready to be done with the man eater. Anyone up for helping me? I have gone 0/12 on this thing. It's time I even the odds.
You can take one of them out by using arrows and standing at the fog door, at the very right - before you actually go in. Taking one of them out first makes it a lot easier. Use the Clever Rat ring to boost your attack power, but don't forget to heal before you go through the fog door.

Like everyone else said, once inside use the central pyre to avoid the 2nd maneater. Use magic like soul ray as he's far away, then melee up close and run out. There are times in his pattern when he does something (an attack?) then just stands there recovering - this is the best time for a chain of melee attacks, otherwise I used magic mostly.

The next part after Man Eater is delicious btw so you have to get past Maneater!

leroidys

So... have people figured out any gamebreaking techniques yet? I'm playing on NG+ and, holy fuck, the real demon's souls starts here. On my first playthrough I thought the game was kinda hard, but this is absolutely insane. I beat the first boss and simply can not continue anywhere else.

leroidys said:
So... have people figured out any gamebreaking techniques yet? I'm playing on NG+ and, holy fuck, the real demon's souls starts here. On my first playthrough I thought the game was kinda hard, but this is absolutely insane. I beat the first boss and simply can not continue anywhere else.

What your character type? What's your strategy? How do you keep failing?

leroidys

weekend_warrior said:
What your character type? What's your strategy? How do you keep failing?

I started as a Royal and played the first half of my first game spamming magic. Now I'm running around with a dark heater shield and blueblood trying to melee stuff. Basically the problem is that everything kills me in or two hits.

My first playthrough I went without guides as much as possible, so my character build is probably pretty awful. I really don't want to start over though unless I have to...

EDIT:

Stats are:

Vit 22
int 20
end 24
str 18
dex 18
mag 23
faith 20
luck 17

soul level 82

Yo Gotti

Banned
leroidys said:
I started as a Royal and played the first half of my first game spamming magic. Now I'm running around with a dark heater shield and blueblood trying to melee stuff. Basically the problem is that everything kills me in or two hits.

My first playthrough I went without guides as much as possible, so my character build is probably pretty awful. I really don't want to start over though unless I have to...

EDIT:

Stats are:

Vit 22
int 20
end 24
str 18
dex 18
mag 23
faith 20
luck 17

soul level 82

Yea, you're spread pretty thin, made this same mistake on my first playthrough. Not a big problem unless you're looking to get into PVP.

You should be plenty strong for NG+ though, what kind of weapons/equipment do you use?

EDIT: Just read BBS and Dark Heater Shield, yea you need to pick a path and stick with it from this point. If you like the BBS get your luck up to 25 or so.

leroidys said:

EDIT:

Stats are:

Vit 22
int 20
end 24
str 18
dex 18
mag 23
faith 20
luck 17

soul level 82

First things first- drop the heater shield. You should be using a purple flame shield +10 as your primary, and the dark silver shield against magic enemies (like world 4). Really you could use the DSS for eveything but I like the improved guard break from the big shields.

the BBS is probably a good sword for you because of your stats, make sure you use enchant spells on it. I'd also recommend using a blessed +4/+5 Mirdan Hammer, which will regen your health, and a sticky compound long bow and LIGHT arrows.

getting killed very easily is a shock every NG+ player gets. It's really important you use your shield in tight areas, and only 2-hand when you're in open space and are sure you can dodge attacks. You simple can not afford to take hits like you could in NG. Thats why I like the heavier shields, because you can take more hits before the opportunity to get a clean strike in open up.

You should also be casting second chance, every time to go to a new world, and always keep in eye on the icon below your health bar so you know when you've lost it, so you can recast it again.

gioGAF

If you don't plan on using weapons that require more than 18 strength, I would advise against the Purple Flame Shield. Stick with the Knight's Shield, Dark Silver Shield (both of these can parry) or the Steel Shield (just about as good as the Purple Flame Shield). None of these will require you to waste points in strength just to use a shield.

I agree with using the Blueblood Sword. Your stats are good for it (add one point to Luck).

Facism

Been doing a bow-only playthrough. None of this "sit out of range and cheese enemies from a distance" crap, but closequarters combat with a bow.

And it fucking works so well. Managed to beat Flamelurker with a Sticky Compound Long Bow + 3. Was a lot of fun to dodge around that motherfucker with the lock-on and let off a few heavy dildos his way.

I had more trouble with the rolling skeletons, though ;o

Very different experience from my melee/magic build. Can imagine it'd get battered in PVP, though.

bone_and_sinew

leroidys said:

EDIT:

Stats are:

Vit 22
int 20
end 24
str 18
dex 18
mag 23
faith 20
luck 17

soul level 82
Jack of all trades, master of none. I did the same stuff in my first playthrough, got destroyed in NG+, got someone here to delevel me, built a character properly and I had no more problems in NG+. If you're going to do a blueblood build, you need to jack up your vitality. This is a good blueblood swordmans build to follow. Know this, every stat can be deleveled to your character's default except Vitality so think carefully what build you want.

oracrest

Facism said:
Been doing a bow-only playthrough. None of this "sit out of range and cheese enemies from a distance" crap, but closequarters combat with a bow.

And it fucking works so well. Managed to beat Flamelurker with a Sticky Compound Long Bow + 3. Was a lot of fun to dodge around that motherfucker with the lock-on and let off a few heavy dildos his way.

I had more trouble with the rolling skeletons, though ;o

Very different experience from my melee/magic build. Can imagine it'd get battered in PVP, though.

That sounds like a fun way to play.

I love doing those kinds of playthroughs. My magic characters used magic as much as possible, and very little melee, and my knights used no magic. It is nice how it changes up what you have to do to get through it, going back to the royal mistress every so often, and setting aside a lot of souls for spice, for example.

2AdEPT

oracrest said:
This is the essence of the game, and the reason it is so brilliant.

To play through a first time, and know nothing, you will LEARN enough to have a solid, balanced playthrough. Then, on return to it, you will have curiosities and things you picked up on to make NG+ more than just a second run, but a fresh experience in many ways. And that could go on over and over.

9, 10, however many playthroughs in, to still be engaging in new content is simply amazing.

Hell, after my first SL1 playthrough, playing online with Canova was when I first discovered that a
shortcut from the end of 5-2, to the start even existed, haha

Incredible, incredible game design...

YEs this game was/is the best ever at creating that special feeling like you are a small hero in a big universe....but you still have a chance to use your brain to overcome the odds! I know you do this often Ora, but helping noobs is where the re-living of this feeling lies. Nothing was more satisfying than getting the large "thank-you's" from a relatively new player when he realized there was more to 5-2 than met his eye!
I took him up the ramp to the slug nest in my own game (he was blue I believe) let him hack away at the nest as if I didn[t know what was going to happen, then took the item and just gave him the Sword. He didn't realize the full use or limitations of the weapon, but becuase he was low level, and using poor weapons, he barely got through 5-1 by himself to even get there, and was just about ready to give up on 5-2. I was as Socratic as possible and let him do most of the fighting but steered him in the best path so we could backstab the giants etc. on the way.
He loved his new sword so much and yet I already had one upgraded to max so it was no sweat off my back. Staying at low soul level to help is FUN!

PS thanks to you and other original thread members for all your help in 2009 when I started playing...I was a lurker until I got my account here after a year and half wait.....already completed tonnes of playthroughs so didn't post much recently but was an original DSer when the thread started......am now coming back to get reinvigorated for Dark. I am so torn about whether to allow myself to come on here, spoilers or not, nor am I leaning toward using the wiki. Gotta start fresh I think and be alone in the universe again!

Top Bottom