• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

johntown

Banned
The_Player said:
F U Tower Knight!!! You hear me? F U. I'll beat your ass ankle one day, be sure.
If you have any ranged attacks (bows or magic) you do not need to hit his ankles. You can hit his head from the top where the guys with bows are. There are plenty of walls to duck behind to avoid his attack as well.

johntown

Banned
Yazan said:
I fucking hate the Blue dragon.

Any tips on how to kill both dragons. I only use swords (and bows), no magic.
Either the Sticky/Vicious Compound Long Bow +5 or the White Bow.

For the Blue Dragon just stand right below him equip the Clever Rats ring and make sure your health is below 30% and keep nailing him with arrows. I think around 200 depending on your stats.

The Red Dragon in 1-2. Go to the 1st tower and go into sniping mode with the bow and aim for the top of the archway from the tunnel you came from and let the arrow go when the dragons wing comes into your bow's sights. Take about 200 arrows just in case you miss. You will know if you hit him because the dragon will let out a cry instead of a roar.

johntown said:
If you have any ranged attacks (bows or magic) you do not need to hit his ankles. You can hit his head from the top where the guys with bows are. There are plenty of walls to duck behind to avoid his attack as well.
I know, but my spells and bolts missing most of the time. This coupled with his amizing evasiveness makes me frustrated.

oracrest

2AdEPT said:
YEs this game was/is the best ever at creating that special feeling like you are a small hero in a big universe....but you still have a chance to use your brain to overcome the odds! I know you do this often Ora, but helping noobs is where the re-living of this feeling lies. Nothing was more satisfying than getting the large "thank-you's" from a relatively new player when he realized there was more to 5-2 than met his eye!
I took him up the ramp to the slug nest in my own game (he was blue I believe) let him hack away at the nest as if I didn[t know what was going to happen, then took the item and just gave him the Sword. He didn't realize the full use or limitations of the weapon, but becuase he was low level, and using poor weapons, he barely got through 5-1 by himself to even get there, and was just about ready to give up on 5-2. I was as Socratic as possible and let him do most of the fighting but steered him in the best path so we could backstab the giants etc. on the way.
He loved his new sword so much and yet I already had one upgraded to max so it was no sweat off my back. Staying at low soul level to help is FUN!

PS thanks to you and other original thread members for all your help in 2009 when I started playing...I was a lurker until I got my account here after a year and half wait.....already completed tonnes of playthroughs so didn't post much recently but was an original DSer when the thread started......am now coming back to get reinvigorated for Dark. I am so torn about whether to allow myself to come on here, spoilers or not, nor am I leaning toward using the wiki. Gotta start fresh I think and be alone in the universe again!

Thanks man!

I do try to help people that need it on here, but 9 times out of 10, they beat the boss before I am able to get online with them, or they cancel.

To think that I bought this because of it's frequency on /V/ around the time of it's release combined with my love of the armor design on the cover.... Usually "gut feelling" game purchases don't go over so well, let alone becoming one of your favorite games of all time!

LeCapitan

Neo Member
The_Player said:
I know, but my spells and bolts missing most of the time. This coupled with his amizing evasiveness makes me frustrated.

Upgrade your weapon some, it will really make the hits you can get count for something.

2AdEPT

The_Player said:

He is not evasive, but rather runs a predictable circuit. Do lock on, then when his head is far left, FIRE! It should merge with your shot directly above where you are standing...just play with the timing ujtil you learn the pattern adn go in hyper mode as was suggested and the Blue dragon will scream defeat in less than 5 minutes...with helpers less than 2 min. USe good bows and arrows if you can afford them...saving patches first is always a benefit in order to get cheap arrows which are still good.....

Damn my hard drive became corrupted and had to reset it. I was able to copy all my saves to a memory stick except Demon's Souls. It wouldn't let me copy it to my stick, but would let me save it in my cloud save if I was a plus member.
I was tempted to join just to keep my save, but wasn't sure if it was worth $50, especially with Dark Souls a couple weeks away. Oh well, good bye New game ++, we had fun.

oracrest

Proposed Law said:
Damn my hard drive became corrupted and had to reset it. I was able to copy all my saves to a memory stick except Demon's Souls. It wouldn't let me copy it to my stick, but would let me save it in my cloud save if I was a plus member.
I was tempted to join just to keep my save, but wasn't sure if it was worth $50, especially with Dark Souls a couple weeks away. Oh well, good bye New game ++, we had fun.

Ooh, I didn't know that plus members had that. I wouldn't mind backing up my DS save data...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I signed up for PSN+ JUST for the "upload copy-protected saves to the cloud" feature. A ton of my games saves are copy-protected.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How long should it take to beat the first level? I keep dying and it feels like I've been playing it forever... Maybe it's because I'm a mage?

How long have you been playing the first level?

It's funny, I'm playing through this game a third time and I still find myself smashing all of the breakable shit even though I know there's never going to be anything inside.

Yeah kinda regretting that I didn't just pay for Plus to back it up. It will be cool though to return to Demon's Souls with a fresh player after playing Dark Souls for awhile. Oh by the way, fuck Resistance 3. This game file corrupted my PS3.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How long should it take to beat the first level? I keep dying and it feels like I've been playing it forever... Maybe it's because I'm a mage?

I can bust through 1-1 in about 10-15 minutes with a level 1 character. A first time player should be able to in about an hour, maybe longer with a crappy starting character like a barb. If it's taken long much longer then that you're really doing something wrong, like not unlocking the shortcuts, or keep trying to kill the red-eyed knight. Keep your shield up going around corners, take your time, stay on your toes. It shouldn't be too hard.

2AdEPT

oracrest said:
Thanks man!

I do try to help people that need it on here, but 9 times out of 10, they beat the boss before I am able to get online with them, or they cancel.

To think that I bought this because of it's frequency on /V/ around the time of it's release combined with my love of the armor design on the cover.... Usually "gut feelling" game purchases don't go over so well, let alone becoming one of your favorite games of all time!

Yeah I know...I was debating with my son over Dragon age vs. Demon's souls for Xmas for him 2009. I make sure he reads up on the games before we get one for him. Although game spot already gave DS game of the year after one month on the market, HE was hard set on Dragon age. But we found a DA on sale at the supermarket so it justified me getting what I was leaning towards al along in DS based mostly on the trailer (and that I don't like platforms.) Problem was it was nowhere to be found up here in Canada...i realized I was on to something despite that there were not a lot of copies purchased by the stores, something was up, with the title listed but sold out everywhere through word of mouth mostly I think....Vancouver has 2.5 Million people and i think I got the last Xmas copy available at the local overpriced music store. I think I paid $68 tax inc. Was I ever lucky....I really appreciated being part of the original online GAF crowd experiencing the game for the first time....would have hated being even a couple months later! Really sucked not being a posting member until well after +++ though as I had figured a lot out on my own that others hadn't early on, despite me being helped more than I would have helped others the game is soo rich that there is always another way to do something that might be more efficient, enjoyable, cool etc, that others did not try. I am the father of a gamer..totally found this site by mistake while googling DS. Despite being part of the original pong and Atari crowd of hard core gamers, i hadn't done much VG playing since Rygar and Black tiger in the arcades. Totally back in thanks to Oblivion and DS. I like to jump and shoot...don't like straight ROLE play, and LOVED the return to BOSSes from my Atari days. I doubt there are many gen X ers like me who wouldn't like DS if they knew it existed. YOu just didn't beat games very often in my day...they were designed to make you want to try harder and spend more quarters, but not give it away like today.

Flip it....I am goingto go back on tonight and continue with my asian looking female character Xienfeng...she is modeled after my wife and I got tired of the novelty of using my MOon great sword on people who thought she was a lightweight by looks...of course she was modeled based on the Demon mage coinage, but I didn't follow the stats to the letter. I also started her out with the DEmonbrandt on the least soul level possible and having not completed much of 1.1...as soon as OStrava was availbale for smearing I was in to see the king.

oracrest

I am doing some pieces for an art show that a friend of mine puts on, and I painted up one of my favorite parts of Demon's Souls for one of the pieces. I still might add more, but it's about 99%

I suppose this would be my first fan art for this game...

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

oracrest said:
I am doing some pieces for an art show that a friend of mine puts on, and I painted up one of my favorite parts of Demon's Souls for one of the pieces. I still might add more, but it's about 99%

[MG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/IMG_7196.jpg[/IMG]

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

That's really cool. It reminds me more of Where the Wild Things Are, but still looks awesome.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

awesome!

man you're true demon's souls hardcore!

I just popped someone's black phantom cherry earlier. I invaded 1-3 because I'm trying to get black character tendency for Mephistopheles on my blueblood swordswoman build. When I found the host he was fighting a red eye knight so I let him finish and heal before bowing, casting Light weapon and attacking. He just blocked with his PFS so he didn't really stand a chance against that much magical damage. I sent him a message saying GG and sorry for killing him and he replied with "WTF, where did you come from? I didn't even know you could do that!" I was terrified the first time I got invaded, and at least I knew what was happening and could expect it.

Also, I got another pure bladestone while farming the hidden passage black skeleton for souls. I think my soul level is somewhere in the 80s if anyone wants it. And I need quite a lot of moonlightstone shards and chunks for a Moon uchigatana, if anyone has some to spare I'd be happy to trade something in return.

EasyMode

oracrest said:

Good stuff! That knight looks like he shat himself :lol

oracrest

Wolf Akela said:
Pretty cool but the player has cartoony proportions.

Yeah, the proportions are exaggerated. It started as a small thumbnail in a sketchbook, and I blew it up to the size of the painting, and just stuck with the proportions of him.

66672a41.jpg

EasyMode said:
Good stuff! That knight looks like he shat himself :lol

I think he has!

oracrest said:

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite
Wow, awesome!

I wish to have a wallpaper of that for my desktop image.

sublimit

Banned
oracrest said:

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

That's very nice but at first glance i thought "what is Link doing there?"
But you really captured the atmosphere.:)

deim0s

Just picked the game up and for a week now (been playing it off and on) I've beaten the Phalanx, Tower Knight and the spider... The game got me hooked! Playing as knight, with 18 str, end and 16 vit. Any non-spoilerish tips? Weapon tree for the longsword?

I went to the prison to check it out... Holeeee shit Mind Flayers! I've searched around to open the sages cell, but can't see a key... :/

johntown

Banned
deim0s said:
Just picked the game up and for a week now, been playing it off and on, just beat the Phalanx, Towee Knight and the spider... Got the game got me hooked! Playing as knight, with 18 str, end and 16 vit. Any non-spoilerish tips? Weapon tree for the longsword?

I went to the prison to check it out... Holeeee shit Mind Flayers! I've searched around to open the sages cell, but can't see a key... :/
Considering your stats and class.......I would upgrade the sword to either Crushing+5 or Dragon+5.

You will find the key but you need to search everywhere. It is near the end of 3-1.

oracrest said:

IMG_7196.jpg

"The Maneaters"
Acrylic on Masonite

That is super cool.
The "dirty" green background really captures the DS bleakness.
I like it a lot.

deim0s said:
Just picked the game up and for a week now (been playing it off and on) I've beaten the Phalanx, Tower Knight and the spider... The game got me hooked! Playing as knight, with 18 str, end and 16 vit. Any non-spoilerish tips? Weapon tree for the longsword?

Are you trying to play without the help of the wiki? Seen HERE. It's one of the most thorough wikis I've come across, but that can be a double edge sword as it becomes a bit too easy to depend on the wiki instead of figuring things out yourself. If nothing else though you should check out the sections under the "guides" button, including controls, game concepts and world & character tendency, and also the weapons section to figure out how upgrading works. It's really important to upgrade and tailor your weapons to your highest stats, something that most people don't realize the first time through.

deim0s

Thanks @johntown

weekend_warrior said:
Are you trying to play without the help of the wiki? Seen HERE. It's one of the most thorough wikis I've come across, but that can be a double edge sword as it becomes a bit too easy to depend on the wiki instead of figuring things out yourself.

I do try to avoid reading the wiki to not spoil myself on the game as much as possible.

Just took a peek on the longsword chart, seems that stones I need are from 2-1. Heh. Didn't kill the miners since most of them aren't hostile.

Should I worry myself on world tendencies on my first play through?

bone_and_sinew

Nah focus on the tendency stuff in subsequent playthroughs, otherwise you'll get confused and get your ass kicked by the the NPCs and effects.

Vard

1-4 and 5-2 are my current options. I can consistently get to the 1-4 boss but keep dying. He has so much health. I've only tried 5-2 twice and died after running into giants. Must keep trying...

bone_and_sinew

1-4 is basically the end boss of the game, most people save that for last. If you want to avoid Giants, Thief's ring is absolutely necessary for 5-2, stay out of the water since you'll run into them without knowing otherwise. IIRC, there's only one Giant you absolutely have to fight while the rest can be avoided with stealth. To kill that Giant (the one before the first fog gate) shoot an arrow at it and lure it to land otherwise you're toast. Focus on beating 5-2 first then exploring.

Vard

bone_and_sinew said:
1-4 is basically the end boss of the game, most people save that for last. If you want to avoid Giants, Thief's ring is absolutely necessary for 5-2, stay out of the water since you'll run into them without knowing otherwise. IIRC, there's only one Giant you absolutely have to fight while the rest can be avoided with stealth. To kill that Giant (the one before the first fog gate) shoot an arrow at it and lure it to land otherwise you're toast. Focus on beating 5-2 first then exploring.
Yea that's how I killed the Giant the first time. I always wear the Thief's Ring (wanderer), but the time I came across 2 I died. Next time I get there I know to just lure 1 out at a time or sneak around them at least. I'll focus on 5-2 then. I hate getting poisoned, but besides the Giants it seems like a fairly straightforward level.

JackSmithy said:
How long have you been playing the first level?

On and off for over an hour. I just seem to die so easily. I'm fine except when there are multiple enemies than my blocking wears down too fast. Should I countering more? I can't seem to get the timing right.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Canova said:
The only game in GAF where the original OT overlaps with its sequel OT thread
And how! I think if anything, excitement for the sequel encouraged more to get into Demon's Souls, and for veterans to play again.

There's just something about this 'franchise' (for want of a better word)...
Truly unique in this day and age.

Anilusion

I'm a total noob at this game and I've beat 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1, working my way through 2-2 right now. Would it be possible for me to finish the game before Dark Soul's launch? Would you recommend using a walkthrough? In that case, where can I find the best one?

johntown

Banned
Anilusion said:
I'm a total noob at this game and I've beat 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1, working my way through 2-2 right now. Would it be possible for me to finish the game before Dark Soul's launch? Would you recommend using a walkthrough? In that case, where can I find the best one?
Yes it is very possible.

The best resource you have right here http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Anilusion said:

Demon's Souls wiki is the definitive source.

Play time, I cannot estimate. Different for everyone. Some people have beat the game at SL1.

Anilusion said:

Don't use a guide on your first playthrough. Don't rush to finish it up before the new game hits either. You should enjoy the game. Really, don't rush.

kyubajin

valentine71 said:
Don't use a guide on your first playthrough. Don't rush to finish it up before the new game hits either. You should enjoy the game. Really, don't rush.
Exactly, don't ruin your fun with a guide... I read way too much about this game before playing it and spoiled a lot of it.

johntown

Banned
valentine71 said:
Yeah, I semi agree with this. I did that for my first run and I was so lost and made so many mistakes that I had to start over from the begining.

I would use the guide more for areas you are stuck and upgrades and some other things which you would have no idea about unless you look at the wiki.

Top Bottom