• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
On and off for over an hour. I just seem to die so easily. I'm fine except when there are multiple enemies than my blocking wears down too fast. Should I countering more? I can't seem to get the timing right.

Ah an hour isn't that bad, just try to kill enemies one at a time if you can, and let your guard down when you are far enough away from enemies for a brief time so your stamina can regenerate much quicker so you can take those blows again. Later on you will learn how to roll and won't need to block as much.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Flame weapons and flame spells wreck them. Destroying the snake tail disables all their spells except for the shockwave roar. Use a shield with high magic resistance. When one on one, use the pyre to create space between him and heal. Be careful when rolling from the pounce attack since you can roll off the bridge. You can kill the first Maneater from behind the fog gate. It takes a couple hundred arrows though, but walk up to the fog gate, don't cross it though, go in first person view towards walk leftmost, shoot.

Joei

Anilusion said:
Stuck on 3-2 boss now (Maneater). Any tips?

When you zone in, stay there for a few seconds and let the first maneater walk to you. When he gets to you, run off for the other gate. Also, make sure you're wearing a Thief Ring so he doesn't follow you. I think it's about 100 seconds into the fight, the other maneater will zone in where you are and you'll fight him. Stay at that end of the platform to kill the second one. Once you beat him, walk back and fight the first one. This seems like a cheesy method, but I honestly think this fight was meant to fought with Blue Phantoms or something. Unless your character is really powerful, taking the first maneater out in 100 seconds is pretty hard. I could almost do it with my L26 character, but the problem was he would fly off and hang in the sky for a while and I wasn't causing enough DPS. It really ended up being a crapshoot when I tried killing the first one before the 2nd one came in.

Grinchy

Banned
Joei said:
When you zone in, stay there for a few seconds and let the first maneater walk to you. When he gets to you, run off for the other gate. Also, make sure you're wearing a Thief Ring so he doesn't follow you. I think it's about 100 seconds into the fight, the other maneater will zone in where you are and you'll fight him. Stay at that end of the platform to kill the second one. Once you beat him, walk back and fight the first one. This seems like a cheesy method, but I honestly think this fight was meant to fought with Blue Phantoms or something. Unless you're character is really powerful, taking the first maneater out in 100 seconds is pretty hard. I could almost do it with my L26 character, but the problem was he would fly off and hang in the sky for a while and I wasn't causing enough DPS. It really ended up being a crapshoot when I tried killing the first one before the 2nd one came in.
I feel like this is a much less "cheesy" method than shooting arrows through the fog gate for 10 minutes.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to fight both, and I did it one time (first run, not +) but it was ridiculously hard every other time. You're probably right. That fight was probably set up as a way of saying "use co-op guys!!"

Anilusion

I don't have any magic resistance shield. Right now I'm using purple flame shield. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1. Are there any magic shields I can get easily with this progress?

Also I guess I should be using the Dragon Longsword against him?

bone_and_sinew

Grinchy said:
I feel like this is a much less "cheesy" method than shooting arrows through the fog gate for 10 minutes.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to fight both, and I did it one time (first run, not +) but it was ridiculously hard every other time. You're probably right. That fight was probably set up as a way of saying "use co-op guys!!"
On the contrary, dropping a blue stone anywhere in World 3 is liable to
getting you summed by the Old Monk as a Black Phantom to fight someone. It is the one world where the stone rules are twisted.

Anilusion said:
I don't have any magic resistance shield. Right now I'm using purple flame shield. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 4-1. Are there any magic shields I can get easily with this progress?

The Adjudicator's Shield can be found in 4-1 IIRC. Not only does it have a 50% magic resistance but it also regenerate's health and has a 50 guard break, which is decent guard break on your first play through. Yes, use Dragon Long on them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
bone_and_sinew said:
The Adjudicator's Shield can be found in 4-1 IIRC. Not only does it have a 50% magic resistance but it also regenerate's health and has a 50 guard break, which is decent guard break on your first play through. Yes, use Dragon Long on them.

With that shield and my blessed mace + high faith I'm a health regen master... with a pretty good melee. It's a fun build so far.

2AdEPT

Anilusion said:

GOod question. I love this game because each sheild has special properties and unless you do research on wiki it is very difficult to tell what each does. Often, getting a prize in one world, won't be beneficial until you takie it to the next world where it becomes the perfect piece for what you are doing there....don't throw away any equipment...always save your stuff in the nexus.

Because the game is pretty wide open for which levels you do first you can get pretty much get any of the magic blocking sheilds that are out there depending on your path...yours lends you to all but the Dark Silver Shield, which is at the end of 5.3. THe ones that have high magic resistance, and in no particular order, the ones I would recommend for maneaters amoungst any magic using attackers are:

1.) Dark Silver shield (Dark insinuates magic block BTW and is created by cloudstone...you can make any upgradable shield like Purple FS Dark if you like but the stats are mitigated, meaning you don't get as good regular stats for the PFS, and you lose upgrades you already did past a certain point.) MOst figure the DSS is the best sheild in the game, but ALL Dark armour, and the shield is included, GREATLY reduce magic attack power while you wear or hold it...making it a very poor choice for magic users. THere are advantages and disadvantages for all equipment and I died multiple times on Maneater mostly becuase I used magic and thought I was smart using this shield. FAIL.

+- 100% block of magic,
- - but guard break not as high as Adjudicator? I think, and of course magic attack power greatly reduced...same for wearing the armour and the armour is heavy. Also tough to get at the end of 5.3. overall rating: poor choice for maneater, particularly if you want to use magic. (most do as they are tough without it.)

2.) Dark Heater shield - a lighter shield, but has high magic resistance and it parries like the DSS, and already has a "2" rating for Dark when you get it in 2.2, so consumes less cloudstone to get to full. Easy to find and easy to upgrade if you go all the way through 4.3. A reasonable choice for maneaters, but weaker than Adjudicator for guard break (althoguh the maneaters are pretty tough and break any guard with their antics regardless.) SO not a bad choice...no penalty to magic users like DSS.

3.) Adjudicator - easy to get early adn upgrade over time, health regen helps, but this shied is actually not as good at blocking magic as any of the other magic blocking sheilds and is somewhat heavier than the rest of the magic blocking shields as well. Still a decent choice for maneater.

4.) My favourite choice for many situations as a magic user is the RUne Shield. Simply holding it greatly increases magic resistance whether you block with it or not. You can hold it on your back and hold the RUne Sword in your off hand while retreating, then swith to the magic talisman of choice for attack...but this is tough so I usually am satisfied simply with the RUne Shield and a talisman. OF course there is a high magic block when blocking with it, but it is very weak physically. meaning it is not a shield you wnat to use the whole game, but certain situations, like maneaters, are actually a time when it is good to dust it off and bring it form the nexus. YOu can get it early in the game in 3.2, and again later when you fight black phantom Ostrava. I prefer getting it in 3.2.
it is on a secret ledge above the entrance to the round central area after the third gargoyle. Jus tgo up the stairs the left one flight, IIRC, then clear the urns, then drop off the ledge to the one below..takes practice, prepare to die, but what else is new and it takes little time to get there from the start of the level.

Joei

Anilusion said:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/shield

A Dark Heater+5 is good for its weight and what I use on my character. At 100/70/70, it gets the job done most of the time. I should clarify that a +5 is only attainable after completing 4-3 I believe, given the materials needed to upgrade to it.

For where you're at, Rune Shield might be the best. It's got a low weight and decent magic defensive.

I also want to clarify that you do in fact have a magic resistant shield, it's just a low percentage one. To read that chart for the site I gave you, a/b/c a=physical reduction, b=magic reduction, c=fire reduction, so the Dark Heater+5 gives 100% reduction on physical damage, 70% reduction on magic and fire damage

Since he has the strength to use a purple flame, he might as well use a knights shield instead of a kite shield to maske a +5 (or + whatever) dark shield, until of course he gets the dark silver shield. A purple flame shield +10 and Dark Silver shield makes a great combo.

Joei

weekend_warrior said:
Since he has the strength to use a purple flame, he might as well use a knights shield instead of a kite shield to maske a +5 (or + whatever) dark shield, until of course he gets the dark silver shield. A purple flame shield +10 and Dark Silver shield makes a great combo.

I don't think anyone's recommending him a Kite Shield. On a purely magic resistance and magic defense basis, the Rune Shield is his best option at the moment. And I'd be questionable on the Dark Knight Shield since it only edges a Dark Heater by 2 on the shield break reduction, yet costs 1.5 more weight. Of course, if weight isn't a concern, do whatever, but for the time being with magic defense being a concern, then Rune is his best option. Dark Purple Flame isn't bad, but again, to upgrade that high, he'd have to complete world 4 and do a hell of a lot of farming. Those Chunks are a hassle if you don't have PBWT in 4.

The Adjucator's Sheild isn't bad either with its 50% resistance, the only thing that bothers me is its 90% on physical. I don't like not having 100 there, though the Regen likely makes up for it.

Joei said:
I don't think anyone's recommending him a Kite Shield. On a purely magic resistance and magic defense basis, the Rune Shield is his best option at the moment. And I'd be questionable on the Dark Knight Shield since it only edges a Dark Heater by 2 on the shield break reduction, yet costs 1.5 more weight. Of course, if weight isn't a concern, do whatever, but for the time being with magic defense being a concern, then Rune is his best option. Dark Purple Flame isn't bad, but again, to upgrade that high, he'd have to complete world 4 and do a hell of a lot of farming. Those Chunks are a hassle if you don't have PBWT in 4.

The Adjucator's Sheild isn't bad either with its 50% resistance, the only thing that bothers me is its 90% on physical. I don't like not having 100 there, though the Regen likely makes up for it.

Doesn't the Rune shield require pretty high magic skill to use? And I don't really like the Adjucator's as a defensive shield either. Besides the 90% physical damage, it only does 50% magic and 10% fire, and at that rate you'd be a lot better trying to avoid getting hit then depending on your shield to minimize damage.

Joei

weekend_warrior said:
Doesn't the Rune shield require pretty high magic skill to use? And I don't really like the Adjucator's as a defensive shield either. Besides the 90% physical damage, it only does 50% magic and 10% fire, and at that rate you'd be a lot better trying to avoid getting hit then depending on your shield to minimize damage.

Yeah, you're right, Rune does require 18 magic. Based on what that player has available to him with the levels he's beaten, that is going to be the one with the highest magic resistance though. The thing is, there are only a few shields that that the player finds that give magic resistance. Dark Silver is the best, but that's a near endgame shield since I would think most players won't complete all of the Valley till near the end. Your assessment of Adjucator's is right though. He'd be better of dodging than relying on that shield for general defensive play. But if he has it on hand and needs something to mitigate magic damage, that would be his best bet behind Rune and an upgraded Dark shield.

bone_and_sinew said:
On the contrary, dropping a blue stone anywhere in World 3 is liable to
getting you summed by the Old Monk as a Black Phantom to fight someone. It is the one world where the stone rules are twisted.

This happened to me. I didn't know what was happening. I like the tactic of waiting for the 2nd Maneater to appear and fighting him alone. I'll try that this week and see if it can't break me out of my Demon Souls funk.

cj_iwakura

So are we doing anything special for Demon's Souls as a send-off? Mini tourney? Speed run of the world? Just beating up on Allant for kicks?

Evolved1

How do people know the special properties of some of these weapons/shields/armor?

I mean... how do you know the heater shield is good vs magic? I don't see this represented in the stats anywhere... like I know purple flame is good vs fire, but only because it says so in the description. I've never seen this reflected in the stats.

Evolved1 said:
How do people know the special properties of some of these weapons/shields/armor?

I mean... how do you know the heater shield is good vs magic? I don't see this represented in the stats anywhere... like I know purple flame is good vs fire, but only because it says so in the description. I've never seen this reflected in the stats.
Press square while viewing an item in your inventory or at stockpile Thomas to switch views and show it's stats. Weapons and shields will have a damage reduction stat. The first number is physical damage reduction and the second is magical damage reduction. So a fully upgraded Dark Heater shield will have 100/70 as it's stats. Shields also have a fire damage reduction stat that doesn't seem to be shown in the game for some reason but it's on the wiki. Most shields have 60/70% for fire damage, apart from the wooden shields which I think only have 10% and the PFS and Brushwood shield which block 90% and 100% respectively.

There's also the guard break reduction stat. The higher it is the less stamina it takes to block and the less likely your guard is to be broken.

Evolved1

electroshockwave said:
Press square while viewing an item in your inventory or at stockpile Thomas to switch views and show it's stats. Weapons and shields will have a damage reduction stat. The first number is physical damage reduction and the second is magical damage reduction. So a fully upgraded Dark Heater shield will have 100/70 as it's stats. Shields also have a fire damage reduction stat that doesn't seem to be shown in the game for some reason but it's on the wiki. Most shields have 60/70% for fire damage, apart from the wooden shields which I think only have 10% and the PFS and Brushwood shield which block 90% and 100% respectively.

There's also the guard break reduction stat. The higher it is the less stamina it takes to block and the less likely your guard is to be broken.

Thanks for that... some of that I knew once. Long break from the game, guess I forgot.

Still... I suspected fire resistance wasn't anywhere to be found but the wiki.

JackSmithy said:
Ah an hour isn't that bad, just try to kill enemies one at a time if you can, and let your guard down when you are far enough away from enemies for a brief time so your stamina can regenerate much quicker so you can take those blows again. Later on you will learn how to roll and won't need to block as much.

Nah, fuck this game. I can't do it as a mage, my health is just too low. If I swing and I only hit one enemy and there's two the other one destroys half my health. Fuck this game.

Joei

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nah, fuck this game. I can't do it as a mage, my health is just too low. If I swing and I only hit one enemy and there's two the other one destroys half my health. Fuck this game.

Try a different class, a lot of people say knight is a good beginner one. Try not to get too frustrated, this game has a very steep leaning curve. If you see something you like in it, I still say try it out, this game can be incredibly rewarding once you figure out all the game-play nuances.

Joei said:
Try a different class, a lot of people say knight is a good beginner one. Try not to get too frustrated, this game has a very steep leaning curve. If you see something you like in it, I still say try it out, this game can be incredibly rewarding once you figure out all the game-play nuances.

I do ok except when they're 3 guys attacking at different times all trying to hit me so I can't see to get an opening due to when they rotate attacking and the stupid black knight thing by the gate of mist early on that I barely do any damage to and have to be on it or it heals itself. Should I be going through the mist normally? I always skip it since I'm afraid it will be worse. How do you get spells in this game too? It sucks just attacking with no spells as a mage.

Also, is there some place to store souls? Losing all my souls that I need to buy shit with every time I die has to be one of the worst mechanics I've ever seen. It's beyond stupid.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Also, is there some place to store souls? Losing all my souls that I need to buy shit with every time I die has to be one of the worst mechanics I've ever seen. It's beyond stupid.
Just learn from your mistakes and go back and get your lost souls :p

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I do ok except when they're 3 guys attacking at different times all trying to hit me so I can't see to get an opening due to when they rotate attacking and the stupid black knight thing by the gate of mist early on that I barely do any damage to and have to be on it or it heals itself. Should I be going through the mist normally? I always skip it since I'm afraid it will be worse. How do you get spells in this game too? It sucks just attacking with no spells as a mage.

Are you sure you're a mage? Both magician and royal start with spells, although you can't get any more until you beat the first boss. Or do you mean restoring your MP?

What's the furthest point you've got to in the level? I'm a bit confused by you saying "going through the mist normally."

QisTopTier said:
Just learn from your mistakes and go back and get your lost souls :p

Sorry, but that's bullshit. And I can't because I fell off the cliff trying to dodge someone and now they're gone, there is no blood stain and the piece of shit game autosaves so I can't even undo it. So I just lost over 2000 souls with no way to them back. This isn't challenging gameplay or different mechanics it's a piece of shit halfbaked game that could have been good but has some of the shittiest mechanics ever making it pretty much unplayable. And it's even more bullshit when you lose your souls on a bloodstain and then your weapon breaks on your way back to that bloodstain. What the fuck are you supposed to do then. Losing the souls is just a shitheaded mechanic there's no reason for it at all.

electroshockwave said:
Are you sure you're a mage? Both magician and royal start with spells, although you can't get any more until you beat the first boss. Or do you mean restoring your MP?

What's the furthest point you've got to in the level? I'm a bit confused by you saying "going through the mist normally."

I though I was able to cast before but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. And yes I'm definitely a mage. I'm guess flame toss and water veil are the spells but from looking online I can't figure out how to cast them.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Really man? Are you using your shield at all? Are you locking on before using spells? Or are you just trying to run through the stage as fast as possible, ignoring enemies, not unlocking shortcuts, and basically not thinking at all about what you're doing?

And yeah, going through the fog doors is pretty important, since it unlocks the rest of the level.

Zeal

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sorry, but that's bullshit. And I can't because I fell off the cliff trying to dodge someone and now they're gone, there is no blood stain and the piece of shit game autosaves so I can't even undo it. So I just lost over 2000 souls with no way to them back. This isn't challenging gameplay or different mechanics it's a piece of shit halfbaked game that could have been good but has some of the shittiest mechanics ever making it pretty much unplayable. And it's even more bullshit when you lose your souls on a bloodstain and then your weapon breaks on your way back to that bloodstain. What the fuck are you supposed to do then. Losing the souls is just a shitheaded mechanic there's no reason for it at all.
Haha, 2000 souls? That's chump change, man. Many, myself included, have lost hundreds of thousands of souls. DS is a very unforgiving yet fair game. If you die, it is always due to your own mistakes, not bad game design or any other millions of excuses you can use.

If 2000 souls is enough to make you nerdrage that hard, DS is just too much game for you. Sorry, but simply being honest.

weekend_warrior said:
Really man? Are you using your shield at all? Are you locking on before using spells? Or are you just trying to run through the stage as fast as possible, ignoring enemies, not unlocking shortcuts, and basically not thinking at all about what you're doing?

And yeah, going through the fog doors is pretty important, since it unlocks the rest of the level.

Of course I'm using my sheild, what else would I be using exactly? I'm not sprinting through or anything. You still take damage when you use your shield, pretty much everything seems to make you lose health. I told the parts I have problems with how does unlocking shortcuts have anything to do with that? What shortcut am I missing?

Zeal said:
Hana, 2000 souls? That's chump change, man. Many, myself included, have lost hundreds of thousands of souls. DS is a very unforgiving yet fair game. If you die, it is always due to your own mistakes, not bad game design or any other millions of excuses you can use.

If 2000 souls is enough to make you nerdrage that hard, DS is just too much game for you. Sorry, but simply being honest.

So instead of addressing my points it's just "nerdrage". Great contribution. It's annoying that I lose 2000 souls and a couple thousand before that that I can't reach farther in the level because my equipment is broken. How is that a "fair" mechanic? But whatever you'll just respond that it's just nerd rage.

Zoe

I had my sword break maybe once throughout the entire game. You're either using the wrong weapon or haven't been maintaining it anyway.

Zeal

Banned
Ok, ill address your question. Learn better item management, keep additional backup weapons, and farm those souls back from stages that you know and are more comfortable with. Get enough souls, buy new weapons or upgrade them, then go back to the point of difficulty with said equipment and utterly destroy your enemies like a boss.

Always strategize, improvise, take alternate routes and advance. Ds is a game about mastering your hardships slowly and systematically.

bone_and_sinew

I'm sorry but if your equipment is breaking from simple overuse, you're terrible at the game, point blank. It's understandable if it broke because some jerk cast Acid Cloud but from sheer overuse, it means you have no clue what you're doing. You didn't even know that you had to cross fog gates for crying out loud.

First, avoid the Red Knight eye, he's too strong when you're starting off. Enemies in 1-1 are fucking cake, you should be parrying and riposting their attacks and mixing with blocks and pushes. Your stamina bar is just as important as your health bar, do not let it run out. Every move you do should be calculated because it uses stamina. If you can't take on groups, split them up and take them one on one.

To cast spells, equip a catalyst (a wooden wand) on one of your hands and press the button you mapped it to.

I'm sure you'll just ignore my advice and cuss me out though so whatever.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I though I was able to cast before but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. And yes I'm definitely a mage. I'm guess flame toss and water veil are the spells but from looking online I can't figure out how to cast them.
Your bloodstain is wherever you were ~10 seconds before you died. Even if you fall off a cliff it should be somewhere reachable. Losing souls is to make you not play carelessly. And I find it a lot more forgiving than losing my equipment until I retrieve it in something like Diablo.

Have you accidentally unequipped your catalyst or maybe ran out of magic points?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Of course I'm using my sheild, what else would I be using exactly? I'm not sprinting through or anything. You still take damage when you use your shield, pretty much everything seems to make you lose health. I told the parts I have problems with how does unlocking shortcuts have anything to do with that? What shortcut am I missing?
The Magician doesn't have a very good shield to start with. If you decide to pick a different class go for Knight or Temple Knight, they have shields that completely block physical damage.

And I'm still not entirely sure where you've gotten to. Have you not gone past the fog gate guarded by the first blue eyed knight? If you continue past him (not through the fog gate) you can enter a tower, follow the stairs down and you'll find a lever to open a shortcut from the start of the level and a ring that raises your health in soul form.

electroshockwave said:
Your bloodstain is wherever you were ~10 seconds before you died. Even if you fall off a cliff it should be somewhere reachable. Losing souls is to make you not play carelessly. And I find it a lot more forgiving than losing my equipment until I retrieve it in something like Diablo.

Have you accidentally unequipped your catalyst or maybe ran out of magic points?
I searched all around that part there is literally no blood stain from falling off that cliff.

There's no way to replenish magic except by items right?

bone_and_sinew said:
I'm sorry but if your equipment is breaking from simple overuse, you're terrible at the game, point blank. It's understandable if it broke because some jerk cast Acid Cloud but from sheer overuse, it means you have no clue what you're doing. You didn't even know that you had to cross fog gates for crying out loud.

First, avoid the Red Knight eye, he's too strong when you're starting off. Enemies in 1-1 are fucking cake, you should be parrying and riposting their attacks and mixing with blocks and pushes. Your stamina bar is just as important as your health bar, do not let it run out. Every move you do should be calculated because it uses stamina. If you can't take on groups, split them up and take them one on one.

To cast spells, equip a catalyst (a wooden wand) on one of your hands and press the button you mapped it to.

I'm sure you'll just ignore my advice and cuss me out though so whatever.

Ya, finally got the catalyst thing, I guess it was because I had two swords equipped? I don't remember seeing the catalyst when I was scrolling through with R. Ya, a lot of times it's from over use but it's because I get far/used my weapons a lot then I died and have no souls to maintain it. I'm starting to get the hang of it I think now but I seem to still hit the wrong buttons when I panic and they do enough damage that it usually means I'm dead. Maybe I'll switch classes to something with more HP. How do you push? I've done it a bunch of times but I've done it more randomly by accident then by actually wanting to do it.

You replenish mana by using fresh spice or old spice, it also replenishes every time you die.

My advice would be to start a new character and play the tutorial level. When it asks "Do you want to play the road the Nexus" pick yes, that's the tutorial level. It sounds like you haven't even grasped the most basic concepts of the game. There's a guy in the Nexus who will repair your weapons and you can also buy crescent grass and fresh spice to replenish health/mana.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I searched all around that part there is literally no blood stain from falling off that cliff.

There's no way to replenish magic except by items right?
gear that regens it passively later.

Also this is a serious business game, take your time think analyze on how to approach stuff. YOU WILL DIE AND YOU WILL DIE A LOT and it will ALWAYS be your own fault. Playing the game a second time will make you wonder how the hell you died to some of the stuff at all.

bone_and_sinew

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, finally got the catalyst thing, I guess it was because I had two swords equipped? I don't remember seeing the catalyst when I was scrolling through with R. Ya, a lot of times it's from over use but it's because I get far/used my weapons a lot then I died and have no souls to maintain it. I'm starting to get the hang of it I think now but I seem to still hit the wrong buttons when I panic and they do enough damage that it usually means I'm dead. Maybe I'll switch classes to something with more HP. How do you push? I've done it a bunch of times but I've done it more randomly by accident then by actually wanting to do it.
Well, you picked the Magician to start with, that's a sucky class. If you want to do magic, pick the Royal since you get the Fragrant Ring (automatically regens mana when equipped) and the silver catalyst (increases mana bar when equipped).

Always keep a catalyst equipped if you're a spell user, no matter what.

To push an enemy, press forward and R1 at the same time.

QisTopTier said:
gear that regens it passively later.

Also this is a serious business game, take your time think analyze on how to approach stuff. YOU WILL DIE AND YOU WILL DIE A LOT and it will ALWAYS be your own fault. Playing the game a second time will make you wonder how the hell you died to some of the stuff at all.

Ah, ok that's kind of what I figured. I guess I just have to stock up more on the items that let you replenish it then.

bone_and_sinew said:
Well, you picked the Magician to start with, that's a sucky class. If you want to do magic, pick the Royal since you get the Fragrant Ring (automatically regens mana when equipped) and the silver catalyst (increases mana bar when equipped).

Always keep a catalyst equipped if you're a spell user, no matter what.

To push an enemy, press forward and R1 at the same time.
Is it actually shitty later on or? I just picked that class because I like casting magic whenever I play a game with classes I always choose the "mage" sort of class so I have spells.

Souls are so plentiful losing 2000 is like nothing. How come the game is so half baked I wonder? Sounds like frustration is all. What turned you on to the game? The frustating mechanics have been made known since the beginning...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Souls are so plentiful losing 2000 is like nothing. How come the game is so half baked I wonder? Sounds like frustration is all. What turned you on to the game? The frustating mechanics have been made known since the beginning...

Just looked like a really cool game and was proclaimed as being amazing.

I think I have to take a break for tonight, I think I'm just too tired now. It's 2am here and I'm just dying for stupid reasons now, I'll try again in the morning. Is the strong attack useful in this game? Maybe it's because my attacks are weak as a mage but it just seems so worthless and does more harm than good.

bone_and_sinew

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, ok that's kind of what I figured. I guess I just have to stock up more on the items that let you replenish it then.

Is it actually shitty later on or? I just picked that class because I like casting magic whenever I play a game with classes I always choose the "mage" sort of class so I have spells.
Magician is shitty period, lol. The description even tells you that it's basically a ghetto version of Royalty. Royalty is the much superior magic caster class of the two.

bone_and_sinew said:
Magician is shitty period, lol. The description even tells you that it's basically a ghetto version of Royalty. Royalty is the much superior magic caster class of the two.

Bah, seriously? I'm just starting over as Royalty then. I figured Mage might be more magic orientated when I chose it and I though I'd have a lot less spells as Royalty.

Another question, do you level up in this game at all or you just get better stuff for your character?

bone_and_sinew

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Bah, seriously? I'm just starting over as Royalty then. I figured Mage might be more magic orientated when I chose it and I though I'd have a lot less spells as Royalty.
You start off with less spells yes, but Water Veil is super cheap to buy and really, only necessary for one level in the game. Soul Arrow is a better spell starting out since once you're done with 1-1, you'll probably want to go to 2-1 and the enemies there are fire resistant.

bone_and_sinew said:
You start off with less spells yes, but Water Veil is super cheap to buy and really, only necessary for one level in the game. Soul Arrow is a better spell starting out since once you're done with 1-1, you'll probably want to go to 2-1 and the enemies there are fire resistant.

Sweet, just restarted at Royalty then. Is Temple Knight or whatever any good?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Another question, do you level up in this game at all or you just get better stuff for your character?
You level up by speaking to the Maiden in black to raise stats. You can only do that once you've beaten the first boss and spoken to the Monumental.

Also, classes are just starting points. A Royalty will be able to learn the Magician's spells and more if you want and vice versa.

bone_and_sinew

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Both. You level up your character however you want by spending souls into your stats. Once you beat 1-1, you'll unlock the NPC who does it for you. You'll find better gear later on as well and there's also a crafting system where you make weapons that scale depending on your stats.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sweet, just restarted at Royalty then. Is Temple Knight or whatever any good?
Temple Knight are melee priests in this game and are the opposite of mages. They have no offensive spells whatsoever (well except for one but that's way later) but they have a few regeneration spells, status ailment cures, revival, etc.. You're better of picking Royalty since it's the offensive mage that you want to play with. There's an in-game as well as metagame-rivalry between mages and priests since they're on opposite sides of the spectrum gameplay wise and plotwise.

Top Bottom