• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Cool, maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly but it feels like Royalty uses less MP for it's spell too right now.

And ya, I figured it probably didn't have magic but I'm always interested when games have non-basic classes where it's not like warrior/archer(ranger)/mage. It actually has diversity like templar knight, necormancer, etc.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well the thing is, classes in this game are just a stepping stone for starting off. Once you start you can become anything you want and distribute stats and learn anything you want :p

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Cool, maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly but it feels like Royalty uses less MP for it's spell too right now.

And ya, I figured it probably didn't have magic but I'm always interested when games have non-basic classes where it's not like warrior/archer(ranger)/mage. It actually has diversity like templar knight, necormancer, etc.

Yeah, Soul Arrow is more economic with magic points than Flame toss.

Classes in this game are important when starting out but you can mold your class to whatever you want. You can turn a mage into a melee only fighter, a temple knight into a mage, etc... It all depends on where you sink your souls for your stats. Although if you're picking a particular build, it's good to pick the "correct" class since you save on a few levels here and there in the long run and optimize that build better, but it's not mandatory. Whatever you want to play as, it depends solely on you and which stats you build.

The game has been out long enough that the pvp meta game is "set". There are plenty of battle-tested builds based on specific weapons and builds based on specific stat categories. Once you're talking about those builds, then the original classes are irrelevant. You're no longer talking about "Royalty" or "Wanderer" but "Spellsword", "Blueblood swordsman", "Faith Build", "Quality Build", "Dexterity Build" etc...

Is it pretty common for it to not have your blood stain anymore? Or can you only have one at a time and if you die the other one disappears? There was nothing by the dragon when I went back.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is it pretty common for it to not have your blood stain anymore? Or can you only have one at a time and if you die the other one disappears? There was nothing by the dragon when I went back.
only 1 blood stain at a time. If you had souls from the previous death and had not picked it up, its gone.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

You can only have one bloodstain. A bloodstain is left where you were 10 seconds before dying. If you die again before reaching it then it disappears and a new bloodstain is left where you were 10 seconds before dying that time.

Joei

I just noticed something pretty interesting. First off, my character has a 41 equip burden. When his equip weight is 20.5 with some equipment, he can't roll at all and it's like he has a heavy equip on, but when it's 20.5 with another arrangement on, he rolls like he is < one-half his equip burden. Now, my hands equip is the same in both instances:
Dark Heater Shield+5
Silver Catalyst
Blessed Knight Sword+5
Lava Bow
8.5 equip burden

My armor equipment is where it gets interesting. With this arrangement on he rolls and runs no problem at all:
Plate Helmet
Black Leather
Wizard's Gloves
Plate Leggings
12 equip burden

However, with this arrangement on, he can't roll and runs slow:
Assassin's Mask
Coat of Plate
Wizard's Gloves
Black Boots
12 equip burden

For general defense, the first setup is better anyways, but it's just something that I find strange. Has anyone else encountered this?

weekend_warrior said:
You can only have one bloodstain. A bloodstain is left where you were 10 seconds before dying. If you die again before reaching it then it disappears and a new bloodstain is left where you were 10 seconds before dying that time.

Ah, ok. Makes sense.

I guess I just took a wrong turn in the first level since I just got back to the beginning area but on the other side.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, ok. Makes sense.

I guess I just took a wrong turn in the first level since I just got back to the beginning area but on the other side.

That's where you want to be. There should be a giant door that you just opened near the beginning of the stage. That's the boss.

Yo Gotti

Banned
So has anyone else had to put Demon's Souls on the shelf? On my 3rd character and 4th playthrough, and even though I'm still nowhere near bored with the game, I think it's time to black out and reset for Dark Souls. I want to go in with the same feeling I had the first time I played Demon's Souls, as blank as possible.

I've got a feeling that even though Dark Souls will be the superior game, Demon's Souls will probably be 100% playable even after it releases. I just don't see this game getting "old" anytime soon. This'll be the first game in a long time, probably since Halo 1 and 2 that I'll go back and play the original after I beat the sequel.

Grinchy

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Holy shit, I beat the first boss. I can finally go to sleep now!
In the 2nd level, the 1st level's boss is a regular enemy. You fight up to 5 of them at a time all at once while on a plank that overlooks a bed of spikes but one of your legs are tied to one of your arms so you have to figure out how to fight that way. Hope you enjoy that tomorrow!

(jk)

Grinchy said:
In the 2nd level, the 1st level's boss is a regular enemy. You fight up to 5 of them at a time all at once while on a plank that overlooks a bed of spikes but one of your legs are tied to one of your arms so you have to figure out how to fight that way. Hope you enjoy that tomorrow!

(jk)

You son of a bitch. :p

oracrest

Yo Gotti said:
So has anyone else had to put Demon's Souls on the shelf? On my 3rd character and 4th playthrough, and even though I'm still nowhere near bored with the game, I think it's time to black out and reset for Dark Souls. I want to go in with the same feeling I had the first time I played Demon's Souls, as blank as possible.

I've got a feeling that even though Dark Souls will be the superior game, Demon's Souls will probably be 100% playable even after it releases. I just don't see this game getting "old" anytime soon. This'll be the first game in a long time, probably since Halo 1 and 2 that I'll go back and play the original after I beat the sequel.

I am one of the biggest Demon's Souls fans on the forum (arguably.)

And, I still put it on the shelf for a good 5 months when Monster Hunter Tri came out. It's a game you can do that with. There will never be a game "better" than Demon's Souls. It will always maintain it's replayability, like the original 'SMB' series. Dark Souls will be improved in some ways, but still different, mark my words.

Even after servers go down, the strict single player remains one of the best games I have ever played. It will stay in a category all it's own, like how Ico is different from Sotc.

RedSwirl

Just so you know, there's a difference between "fun," and having played a game for four hours and made absolutely zero progress in it.

Yazan

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I can't do anymore in LV.1 right? The part past the boss arc stones just gets me killed by the dragon.

You just need to time your run. But leave 1-2 to later. Try 2-1.

Yazan said:
You just need to time your run. But leave 1-2 to later. Try 2-1.

Is 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel? Because the wolves are destroying me at the beginning.

And is there an armor merchant? I didn't see one in the nexus and the one that was in the first level is gone now.

Edit: Wait, I didn't see the right side lit up too. I'm assuming valley of defilement is 2-1.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

And is there an armor merchant? I didn't see one in the nexus and the one that was in the first level is gone now.

Edit: Wait, I didn't see the right side lit up too. I'm assuming valley of defilement is 2-1.

Valley of defilement is 5-1. Your merchant has moved on to 1-2.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Bah. Is there something I should be doing with the wolves? They just swarm me too fast and I can't run away.
Approach slowly and keep your shield up. If you have some kind of ranged attack, you can lure them out one by one.

archnemesis said:
Approach slowly and keep your shield up. If you have some kind of ranged attack, you can lure them out one by one.

Maybe it's because I just have the wizard's clothes for armor but they do a lot of damage relatively speaking even with my shield up. I'll try to lure them with some magic then.

Yazan

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Everything is hard and confusing in the beginning. Just give it some time:)

kyubajin

RedSwirl said:
Just so you know, there's a difference between "fun," and having played a game for four hours and made absolutely zero progress in it.
Playing for hours and dying constantly IS progress, you're acquiring experience with the game and the way you control your actions.

Gregorn

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sweet, just restarted at Royalty then. Is Temple Knight or whatever any good?

I started the game as a Royalty and thought it sucked and pretty much complained about the same things you were complaining about. Then started again a couple of months later as a Temple Knight and enjoyed it immensely. If you're fine with a Royalty then keep going, but if you're still not 'getting it' give it one more chance with a Temple Knight.

Spiffy_1st said:
I started the game as a Royalty and thought it sucked and pretty much complained about the same things you were complaining about. Then started again a couple of months later as a Temple Knight and enjoyed it immensely. If you're fine with a Royalty then keep going, but if you're still not 'getting it' give it one more chance with a Temple Knight.

I've got it for the most part I think but I still feel so underpowered when there's a group that gangs up on you. I like the game more than before but I still think it's stupid that they use death as like a mechanic. Whether you want to argue it's the player's fault for the death or not you're going to die multiple times in a level it seems and it's so unforgiving to the point that it's kind of silly IMO. Like with the wolves, most areas are dark and then all of a sudden there is an explosion and 3 wolves just destroy me. I have my shield up and everything but they're quick enough to circle you and you can only block when facing that creature if they're not all exactly in front of you they get unblocked damage off. I just don't like the you should die and learn from your mistake approach especially when you have to walk all the way from the beginning and you lose all your souls.

Jimrpg

hello all, I'm about 15 hours into it and died heaps :p

love the game though, the game is the new bible on good game design...

I've done the phalanx boss, the tower knight and the spider

where should i go now? easiest route as possible please now that dark souls is coming out I kinda want to finish it before that comes out in a few weeks.

I'm using the royal class.

and I'm playing single player offline - is it harder? I just brought my ps3 home and I'm too lazy to set up the wifi :p

kyubajin

arbok26 said:
hello all, I'm about 15 hours into it and died heaps :p

love the game though, the game is the new bible on good game design...

I've done the phalanx boss, the tower knight and the spider

where should i go now? easiest route as possible please now that dark souls is coming out I kinda want to finish it before that comes out in a few weeks.

I'm using the royal class.

and I'm playing single player offline - is it harder? I just brought my ps3 home and I'm too lazy to set up the wifi :p
I'd strongly suggest you do 4-1 Shrine of Storms as it has one of the best weapons for magic user (Crescent Falchion +1) and will make the rest of the game easier. Mind the skellies and try to kite them, explore the level throughly and you'll find nice goodies.

Also, playing online is good for beginners because of the messages and blood pools that might alert you about ambushes and traps, plus you don't have to fear invasions if you're in soul form (likely your case for most of the 1st playthrough).

I've got a question again, is there a point to breaking the breakable stuff or is it just there? It seems like you never get anything by breaking so I haven't bothered anymore.

kyubajin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've got a question again, is there a point to breaking the breakable stuff or is it just there? It seems like you never get anything by breaking so I haven't bothered anymore.
There's some treasure hidden under stuff IRRC, but in very very few places.

kyubajin said:
There's some treasure hidden under stuff IRRC, but in very very few places.

Ah, ok. I used to smash a lot and after finding pretty much nothing I was curious if there was a point. I probably still won't bother then.

Jimrpg

kyubajin said:
I'd strongly suggest you do 4-1 Shrine of Storms as it has one of the best weapons for magic user (Crescent Falchion +1) and will make the rest of the game easier. Mind the skellies and try to kite them, explore the level throughly and you'll find nice goodies.

Also, playing online is good for beginners because of the messages and blood pools that might alert you about ambushes and traps, plus you don't have to fear invasions if you're in soul form (likely your case for most of the 1st playthrough).

thanks i tried that i think the last time i picked up the game... they completely overwhelmed me... they were faster and i couldn't even get an attack in... i read that i could kill one of the skellies for major souls.... ill give it another go.

if i don't do shrine of storms, what about the level immediately after the spider? i got really deep in the caverns and then somehow died and haven't gone back down again.

also i never felt that the world tendency thing affected me much in the 15 hours i played through.... things didn't get harder or easier.

So how does the health bar work exactly? It seems to expand at times and it grew a little then I equipped a new weapon to hand I had nothing in and my health dropped and unequipping it didn't bring it back to where it was. Why does it do that?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I ran out of magic with one hit left on the spider and died. Fuck this shit.

I think I'm done.

kyubajin

arbok26 said:
if i don't do shrine of storms, what about the level immediately after the spider? i got really deep in the caverns and then somehow died and haven't gone back down again.

also i never felt that the world tendency thing affected me much in the 15 hours i played through.... things didn't get harder or easier.
The caverns 2-3 aren't that difficult per se but lead you to one of the hardest bosses of the game - Flamelurker, so I wouldn't recommend tackling him just yet.

The tendency starts to be noticeable when it gets to extreme levels - aka pure white or dark tendencies.

Herla

I never found this game to be frustrating, I killed pretty much every boss on the first try...but no shortcut in 1-4 has to be the most infuriating thing in the entire game.
I'm ok with dying in one hit, but doing that entire stage from the beginning every single time is a major pain in the ass. Am I missing something !?

edit: and yes, I
killed the dragon. I just hate wasting time on trash mobs

Cirruss

Herla said:
I never found this game to be frustrating, I killed pretty much every boss on the first try...but no shortcut in 1-4 has to be the most infuriating thing in the entire game.
I'm ok with dying in one hit, but doing that entire stage from the beginning every single time is a major pain in the ass. Am I missing something !?

edit: and yes, I
killed the dragon. I just hate wasting time on trash mobs

I didn't
kill the dragon so I can't comment on the two officials on the wall
, but i find that I can pretty much just skip all the ranged mobs and I only need to kill the two red eye knights (which die easily in one stamina bar each for me)

Doc Evils

Hey guys, do you think I should restart this game?

The last trophy I got was slaying the old monk demon and then my game save got corrupted. After spending 40 hours and losing it all I didnt want to go back and lose my save again, but now that Dark Souls is coming out soon a part of me wants to start again.

I was a temple knight class last time, but what is the best class to be to help me go though it fast?

Doc Evils said:
Hey guys, do you think I should restart this game?

The last trophy I got was slaying the old monk demon and then my game save got corrupted. After spending 40 hours and losing it all I didnt want to go back and lose my save again, but now that Dark Souls is coming out soon a part of me wants to start again.

I was a temple knight class last time, but what is the best class to be to help me go though it fast?

Ok, trust me on this I've got character at like SL583 or so - this game is very easy and fast if you:

Start as Royalty, defeat Phalanx boss, grind Blue and Red Knights in 1-1 with Soul Arrow spam (every three hits they will get stunned, keep your distance)

Only level your Luck to 8 (item drop glitch) and your Vitality to 30 or 40 (diminishing returns start at 41) - do whatever you please with other stats for your build

Get the Composite Long Bow and lots of arrows, like 400 at any time (most encounters can be exploit/distance sniped): Level to this 3(I think), and then convert to Sticky Bow (use spiderstones from 2-1, 2-2)

Your main weapon is a Winged Spear leveled up to 6(I think) and then converted to a Moon Winged Spear and fully upgraded

Thief Ring is very important for sniping, should probably use that at all times since you'll be using exploit kills with bow

In 2-2 you get the best caster item in the game if you have pure black tendency - from the 2-2 archstone go forward then right down the mining hall (avoid monsters) drop down this shaft to the first stone ledge, if in Pure Black you will see a phantom, kill him and he'll drop the Talisman of Beasts which can cast miracles and magic and is OP as hell

Good luck man!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you use new spells? I bought new spells but when I press up it still only has Soul Arrow and not any of the new spells.

Talk to the magic guy at the Nexus, you'll be able to choose which spells you "carry".

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, I see it now. You have to go to memorize spell. Do you unlock more slots by just straight leveling?

You get more slots when you level up Intelligence. At 14 Intelligence you'll get a 2nd slot and at 18 you'll get a 3rd slot.

Top Bottom