• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sweet, thanks. Should I be just focusing on doing Int, Magic, and Faith then?
If you're a mage character you shouldn't be too concerned about Faith. Maybe just level it up to 16 to have two miracle memory slots and use something like Second Chance. You should also upgrade Endurance and Vitality as they are important for pretty much every character build.

Doc Evils

we.are.the.armada said:
Ok, trust me on this I've got character at like SL583 or so - this game is very easy and fast if you:

Start as Royalty, defeat Phalanx boss, grind Blue and Red Knights in 1-1 with Soul Arrow spam (every three hits they will get stunned, keep your distance)

Only level your Luck to 8 (item drop glitch) and your Vitality to 30 or 40 (diminishing returns start at 41) - do whatever you please with other stats for your build

Get the Composite Long Bow and lots of arrows, like 400 at any time (most encounters can be exploit/distance sniped): Level to this 3(I think), and then convert to Sticky Bow (use spiderstones from 2-1, 2-2)

Your main weapon is a Winged Spear leveled up to 6(I think) and then converted to a Moon Winged Spear and fully upgraded

Thief Ring is very important for sniping, should probably use that at all times since you'll be using exploit kills with bow

In 2-2 you get the best caster item in the game if you have pure black tendency - from the 2-2 archstone go forward then right down the mining hall (avoid monsters) drop down this shaft to the first stone ledge, if in Pure Black you will see a phantom, kill him and he'll drop the Talisman of Beasts which can cast miracles and magic and is OP as hell

Good luck man!

Cool thanks, I'll see how it goes. :)

electroshockwave said:
If you're a mage character you shouldn't be too concerned about Faith. Maybe just level it up to 16 to have two miracle memory slots and use something like Second Chance. You should also upgrade Endurance and Vitality as they are important for pretty much every character build.
Ah, ok. Ya, I'm a Royalty. It started with high faith so I thought maybe it was important. I forget what it boosts now though.

RedSwirl

kyubajin said:
Playing for hours and dying constantly IS progress, you're acquiring experience with the game and the way you control your actions.

No. I'm not even gaining experience points since I lose them upon every second death (getting killed by some enemies I got past previously). Trying to find the 2F and 1F keys in the Prison of Hope.

RedSwirl said:
No. I'm not even gaining experience points since I lose them upon every second death (getting killed by some enemies I got past previously). Trying to find the 2F and 1F keys in the Prison of Hope.
He didn't mean experience points, he meant learning the level layout and the enemy patterns.
The 1F keys should be on the wall on the connecting floor between Freke's cell and 2F. The 2F cell key is found in
3-2 in an area that opens up during white world tendency.
You'll need it to platinum the game but you shouldn't necessarily concern yourself with it on your first playthrough.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, ok. Ya, I'm a Royalty. It started with high faith so I thought maybe it was important. I forget what it boosts now though.
Increasing Faith raises miracle power (so that miracles that scale with stats like heal will work better), miracle memory and magic resistance.

Cirruss

GRRRRR. I finally manage to perfect my dragon fire running method on 1-4 but I get to the boss and find that suddenly almost everything he does can one shot me since the palace is now in pure black tendancy.

To make matters even worse, Biorr hates me now too for some reason and, I also got soul sucked and lost the strength to even wield the new awesome weapons I crafted.

And to add even more insult to injury, I decide that it might be easier if I go back and get the Second Chance miracle
but that bastard Yurt already killed Saint Urbain and his apprentice.

Oh, Umbasa.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Cirruss said:
GRRRRR. I finally manage to perfect my dragon fire running method on 1-4 but I get to the boss and find that suddenly almost everything he does can one shot me since the palace is now in pure black tendancy.

To make matters even worse, Biorr hates me now too for some reason and, I also got soul sucked and lost the strength to even wield the new awesome weapons I crafted.

And to add even more insult to injury, I decide that it might be easier if I go back and get the Second Chance miracle
but that bastard Yurt already killed Saint Urbain and his apprentice.

Oh, Umbasa.
If shit has gone to hell for you like that, you might as well
Go Pure Black Character Tendency and do the Mephistopheles quest.

RedSwirl

electroshockwave said:
He didn't mean experience points, he meant learning the level layout and the enemy patterns.
The 1F keys should be on the wall on the connecting floor between Freke's cell and 2F. The 2F cell key is found in
3-2 in an area that opens up during white world tendency.
You'll need it to platinum the game but you shouldn't necessarily concern yourself with it on your first playthrough.

I don't think I've ever gotten any World Tendency to change from neutral at all. How long do you have to play the game in one sitting to do that?

No wait. I think I actually have the 1F key, but need the keys for 2F and the cell keys for both Freke's body and soul. And I can't find the lever to turn off the machine on the bridge. I'm basically lost and at a dead end.

Dark souls coming out has got me into gear in finishing this (or rather getting past 1-3/2-1 aha)

After weeks of banging my head against the walls of my house its all clicked and I managed to beat 3 big bosses today (dragon,King) and cheesed the lady/knight with a bow aha

Got some sweet heavy armor, blueblood sword and a huge ass shield to finish kicking storms and the jails ass!

RedSwirl said:
I don't think I've ever gotten any World Tendency to change from neutral at all. How long do you have to play the game in one sitting to do that?

No wait. I think I actually have the 1F key, but need the keys for 2F and the cell keys for both Freke's body and soul. And I can't find the lever to turn off the machine on the bridge. I'm basically lost and at a dead end.

You should have found the Wardens key in front of the arrow machine. Back track to where you meet Lord Rydell, theres a floor above him that you passed as you work your way down the stairs. The Warden key opens that door.

RedSwirl

So I'm at the boss with no healing items (used them all on the last three attempts) and no souls. I'm trying to figure out why I can't use the heal miracle. I had to kill the last two bosses through co-op, "co-op" meaning I just sit back as a higher level player kills the boss in 15 seconds.

RedSwirl said:
So I'm at the boss with no healing items (used them all on the last three attempts) and no souls. I'm trying to figure out why I can't use the heal miracle. I had to kill the last two bosses through co-op, "co-op" meaning I just sit back as a higher level player kills the boss in 15 seconds.

Ok... ???

Gregorn

I just got all of the magic but the trophy didn't come up, then I realized I needed the Maiden in Black's soul. Looks like I'll have to do another playthrough if I want to get that platinum trophy...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RedSwirl said:
Oh and I forgot: why should I not use the boss souls on myself?
Because you'll use the boss souls to upgrade your weapons :).

RedSwirl said:
Oh and I forgot: why should I not use the boss souls on myself?

Because it's really easy to farm for souls, but the boss demon souls you get a one shot deal and you need them to create special weapons and buy special magic/ miracle spells.

gdt

God, I used the first boss's soul on myself. The game NEVER said you shouldn't do that, or informed me of the options with a Boss's soul.

Hopefully Dark Souls is much more...informative? Dunno, accessible isn't the word I would use.

But the game should have an in game guide with it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gdt5016 said:
God, I used the first boss's soul on myself. The game NEVER said you shouldn't do that, or informed me of the options with a Boss's soul.

Hopefully Dark Souls is much more...informative? Dunno, accessible isn't the word I would use.

This shouldn't be a problem since you'll be able to go back in NG+ and defeat the boss again :)

gdt5016 said:

If you read the item description for the demons' souls it says that they can be used to get weapons, magic or miracles. At least Phalanx's soul can only be used to make a scraping spear so you didn't waste much.

weekend_warrior said:
Because it's really easy to farm for souls, but the boss demon souls you get a one shot deal and you need them to create special weapons and buy special magic/ miracle spells.

Well theres a few that give nothing but souls like the Blue dragons one though right?

Deadstar

gdt5016 said:

gdt5016, you've got a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

RedSwirl

weekend_warrior said:

I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion.

Deadstar

RedSwirl said:
I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion.

4-2 + the ring that gives you more souls. Run down the steps, across the bridge, drop onto the Grim Reaper, kill him and get a ton of souls instantly (all monsters in the area will die when you kill Grim). Then use a miracle to teleport back to the nexus. Rinse and repeat.

RedSwirl

Deadstar said:
4-2 + the ring that gives you more souls. Run down the steps, across the bridge, drop onto the Grim Reaper, kill him and get a ton of souls instantly (all monsters in the area will die when you kill Grim). Then use a miracle to teleport back to the nexus. Rinse and repeat.

Not that far yet and don't have that miracle yet. Not to mention I'm still occasionally getting killed by normal enemies in the Tower of Latria.

Yoshichan

RedSwirl said:
Not that far yet and don't have that miracle yet. Not to mention I'm still occasionally getting killed by normal enemies in the Tower of Latria.
Are you playing it "chronologically"? 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1 etc?

Deadstar

RedSwirl said:

I am not quite sure when you can get the teleport miracle but I might suggest beating 4-1 before you go to 3-1. You can do any of the levels in any order really.

4-1 is a good place to farm if you are just starting out. You can kill the skeletons and get 300-500 souls per kill then go back to the Nexus and do that over and over until you are as strong as you think you need to be to beat the next boss. Don't give up man, the game is very rewarding when you succeed.

RedSwirl said:

Even a very low level character should be able to farm souls on 4-1 to the tune of about 5000/5 minutes. On NG+ it possible to acquire about 60,000/3 minutes in 4-2.

RedSwirl

weekend_warrior said:
Even a very low level character should be able to farm souls on 4-1 to the tune of about 5000/5 minutes. On NG+ it possible to acquire about 60,000/3 minutes in 4-2.

Maybe. Just playing through the first couple rooms, dying, then beating them again netted me 3,000.

By the way my character is level 29 (I've only been able to get in about 15 hours since Spring).

Leon S. Kennedy said:
After you beat the 4-4 boss, just come back to farm. Tons of souls. The boss is easy.

So basically I should do level 4 first? Or still focus on beating the boss of 3-1?

oracrest said:
I am one of the biggest Demon's Souls fans on the forum (arguably.)

And, I still put it on the shelf for a good 5 months when Monster Hunter Tri came out. It's a game you can do that with. There will never be a game "better" than Demon's Souls. It will always maintain it's replayability, like the original 'SMB' series. Dark Souls will be improved in some ways, but still different, mark my words.

Even after servers go down, the strict single player remains one of the best games I have ever played. It will stay in a category all it's own, like how Ico is different from Sotc.

yeah my sentiments exactly, but I still want Dark Souls to be better, even though deep down I know Demon's Souls will always be the king.

RedSwirl said:
Where's the best place to get healing items of all kinds though? The shop in 3-1 just sells Full heals.
The merchant in 1-2 has the best price on crescent grass and he sells half and late moon grass too. If you free Blige in 4-1 he should have the best price on half moon grass that's available to you right now. You could also just farm the enemies in 1-1 and 1-2 for them.

RedSwirl said:
So basically I should do level 4 first? Or still focus on beating the boss of 3-1?

I would grind a little bit on 4-1 to get some souls and level up. You don't have to beat the 4-1 boss, just do part of the level and return to the nexus. Grind 1-1 to get healing items. Then beat 3-1. Just hide behind pillars to heal up - its not that difficult a boss. You can always use that one stone to get your body back. I must have had over 30 of those stones by the time I finished the game the first time.

RedSwirl said:
Talismans can't break can they?
It's possible but unlikely since you won't be hitting them against anything so it would only happen from another player using acid cloud or a scraping spear on you. I once fought someone using a scraping spear for the 3-3 boss fight. They broke everything I had equipped including my Insanity catalyst. I can't remember how much it cost to repair but I do remember that each piece of my Ancient King's armour set cost 24,000 souls to fix.

I found killing my way to the red and blue knight in 1-1 the best was to get souls and items as if I died against red somehow it was easy to get back with even more when I got to the blood patch.
Went back on last night and crushed 4-1 and decided to check my SL and it turns out im SL61!! what the hell! Ive still got 4-2 4-3 and all of Latria to beat!

deim0s

Was wondering why do you guys count your SL's? If I understand correctly everytime you use the Maiden to add stats, it increases by one. Does a certain SL unlock something in the game world?

Still quite new to the game and on my first playthrough.

deim0s said:
Was wondering why do you guys count your SL's? If I understand correctly everytime you use the Maiden to add stats, it increases by one. Does a certain SL unlock something in the game world?

There's nothing special to soul level particularly, as far as I know. In discussion here it's just a general way of tracking overall progress without having to type out each individual stat.

Could someone help me re-spec my character? I'm SL 202 and play on the NA servers. Just need someone within level range that has Soulsucker.

I can give you pretty much any item you want in return if you help me. Just reply or send me a PM.

deim0s said:

Your soul level determines who you can summon to help you out as a blue phantom and who's world you can invade as a black phantom. You have to be within 0.1*SL±10 of each other. For instance, a player with soul level 50 can summon people between SL 35 and 65.

archnemesis said:
Your soul level determines who you can summon to help you out as a blue phantom and who's world you can invade as a black phantom. You have to be within 0.1*SL±10 of each other.
I always forget about this stuff because I play offline, haha.

Invasions are fun but god its annoying sometimes.
Ive fought off everyone apart from one jackass that I was murdering in 4-2 (before the reaper). He then runs off and I couldnt find him anywhere so I proceed down the hallways as I was bored after spending five mins looking for him (litrally NO clue where he could be). I then get halfway down the stairs and the fucker appears almost out of nowhere and backstabs me :/

I want to play in human form all the time but I think im down to one Eye after wasting loads lusting after more hp for Flamelurker lol

LaB_NL

Johnlenham said:
(litrally NO clue where he could be). I then get halfway down the stairs and the fucker appears almost out of nowhere and backstabs me :/

So you had an encounter with a ninja/stealth build. :)

LaB_NL said:
So you had an encounter with a ninja/stealth build. :)

:( annoying but thankfully it was easy to get my 60k souls back!
Someone using two daggers came at me in 1-4 but he couldnt get through my sheild and then I just hammered him with my uchi sword! he the legged it, fully healed and came back with what looked like a claymore and that couldnt get through the shield either!

Is it possible to buy the stones that put you back in human form? Pvp is pretty fun.

Also im reading through this thread from the begining and ive realized I dont even have the Thief ring and I havnt upgraded anything past level 3 (flame shield)

Dunan

I first trained myself by repeating 1-1 multiple times. The weak enemies drop enough healing items that you'll basically be set for the entire remainder of the game if you just train on 1-1 for a while. I used a magic build, and trained for a long while, calculating the damage on each hit from my beams, before taking on the Red-Eye Knight who's off the main path on 1-1, but if you're very careful about staying invisible and staying out of his sight, he can be a pushover.

My next stage was 3-1, and even before finishing it, I was taking practice runs through the parts that I'd already mastered so that I could stock up on magic-restoring agents. The Mindflayers drop them in spades.

The very first part of 4-1 will get used to the gymnastic skeletons that can be murder on a beginner. My magic build was able to take them down from afar, and the rest of 4-1 is surprisingly easy.

4-2 is an excellent place to farm souls and also get lots of practice in for the intermediate player. Do the "drop down and hit the Reaper with ranged attacks" thing first, and then you can either take a step backward out onto the ledge (behind you if you're facing the Reaper) and train yourself to fight the skeletons that will come at you along that thin ridge. Fight them and grab another ~2000 souls; worst comes to worst, they kill you and your bloodstain is right there for you to pick up.

It is very gratifying to see your skill rise, and to see those nasty skeletons go from the scourge of your existence to just another enemy that you can handle.

There's a whole lot more to 4-2 after that part, and there's a good chance that you'll die a few more times even after testing your mettle with the skeletons, but you should have picked up enough soul levels to make the nest part a little easier.

Then in 4-3, once you've beaten the boss, you get to have a whole lot of fun with a special weapon that you can only use there. Trust me, grinding on that stage is more fun and stress relief than actual ability honing.

The steady progress that you'll see in your own ability is the most satisfying thing about Demon's Souls. The first time, you're cursing the monsters and the game's developers and God and fate, but the next time you'll actually manage to kill some of those nasties, and before you know it you're walking through those halls and caves with some confidence.

I must have died a hundred times in 1-1; maybe more. But I didn't die a single time in either 5-1 or 5-2, until the boss fight. If you'd shown me a video of my own play in the Valley of Defilement two weeks before I actually did it, I wouldn't believe it. But trust me, you'll improve in just the same way.

Oh, and the final battle in 1-4, which I saved for the very end and only took on at around SL 86, was one of the most thrilling boss fights I've ever had in any video game, ever.

Do not give up on Demon's Souls. It's a great experience.

Top Bottom