• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Aha yeah stage five I was swearing so loud. The first is by far the worst! I must have died maybe forty times on that one? now its a breeze. Gold skellys id run like hell, now I run at them :D
Its crazy to think a week ago a tossed the controler and said fuck this and from picking it up on friday night/sunday morning im two levels and one archstone from finishing.

Looking forward to Dark souls now aswell!

Ourobolus

Banned
So with Dark Souls coming out I finally decided to go back and beat this damn thing.

Previously I had beaten Phalanx and kept getting destroyed by the Tower Knight, not really knowing that I could go do 2-1, 3-1, etc. beforehand. I wanted to keep playing, but Borderlands drew me away at the time.

Anyway, now I'm back. I rolled a Templar Knight and completed (in order): 1-1, 4-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1, TRIED 3-2 AND FAILED, 2-2, 2-3, 5-1.

Man, Maneater is freakin' rough. I'm glad I at least opened the level so I can just rush to him though. I haven't tried the isolation tactic though, I'll see if that makes anything easier. I've gained a few levels since my last try, so hopefully it's a little easier.

I've mostly been playing with Halberd +4, Crescent Falchion +1, Blessed Mace +1 as my weapons, and then either the Gloom set or the Black set for my armor (Black set mostly when I want to dodge or run better).

I haven't been putting points into Magic, so I'm strictly a melee/faith build, although I can do fine with a bow - I just hate getting all those souls and then buying arrows rather than levelling. I also refuse to cheap bosses to death, e.g. the fog/arrow cheat for taking out the first Maneater.

I think I may finish 5-2 and maybe 5-3 before going back over to 3-2, but I may get 4-2 in there since I hear the soul farming is good there.

EDIT: I've been playing online too, so I don't really care about World Tendency. Since the servers are going away, my first playthrough will concentrate on that while my next one will be played offline so I can concentrate on manipulating tendency.

Ostinatto

i need help

i need to remember another set of spells, but i just killed yuria and sage.
for the mephistopheles quests.

is there another way, besides yuria and sage?

thanks

Ostinatto said:
i need help

i need to remember another set of spells, but i just killed yuria and sage.
for the mephistopheles quests.

is there another way, besides yuria and sage?

thanks
Is Freke's apprentice still there? If not, I think you'll have to start your New Game+.

Ostinatto said:
too bad,

im in NG+ about to kill false king allan, but that motherfucker is tough, i cant do it :(.

Just cast poison cloud on him about 30 times from a distance. He won't see you and he'll just stand there and die.

...Or you could fight him like a man.

Ostinatto

Danexmurder said:
Just cast poison cloud on him about 30 times from a distance. He won't see you and he'll just stand there and die.

...Or you could fight him like a man.

that is why i need to remember that spell, i dont have it.

Now, that've played it more and I actually have some spells and stuff it's not so bad and I'm actually enjoying it. I regret telling my friend he can borrow my PS3 now to play FIFA since I probably won't have this finished my then. :(

johntown

Banned
Ostinatto said:
too bad,

im in NG+ about to kill false king allan, but that motherfucker is tough, i cant do it :(.
If you have Homing Soul Arrow and can roll/evade pretty well then he should be pretty easy. Make sure you either use Second Chance, Warding or have plenty of good grasses.

If you die from one hit from him though I suggest you level up a bit more.

thundr51

While waiting for the new game, I decided to take a quick run through 1-1 with a newly created barbarian. Suprisingly enough I didn't take much time at all and I only died 2x (forgot about some guys near the gate while running down the stairs).

Anyway, was thinking maybe i'll hang out with this char a bit more but not really sure where to go with him. Ideas?

btw, the skeletons in 4-1 are LAUGHABLY easier that I remember, probably because of the club that i'm using.

RedSwirl

Yoshichan said:
Are you playing it "chronologically"? 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1 etc?

I beat 1-1 and then went through 1-2 and had to beat the tower knight by summoning a co-op buddy who killed him before I could even get started. They won't let me into 1-3 yet presumably until I beat the third stage of another world. Had to rely on a co-op buddy again for the 2-1 boss, then went through 2-2 but stopped just short of the boss. Just beat 3-1 and am now at 4-1. I'd rather not have to grind too much in this game.

Also, I thought you could only get invaded when alive, but I recently got invaded when in soul form too (still beat the guy).

johntown

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I'd rather not have to grind too much in this game.

Also, I thought you could only get invaded when alive, but I recently got invaded when in soul form too (still beat the guy).

There really should not be a lot of grinding unless you keep dying over and over. Grinding in this game is NG+, NG++ etc. If you farm for rare stones you will grind too but as long as you use your sould wisely you should not have many issues.

You can be invaded in 3-3 regardless or being alive or not. As long as you are online the Old Monk will try to summon someone close to your SL for the boss fight.

Pookmunki

thundr51 said:
While waiting for the new game, I decided to take a quick run through 1-1 with a newly created barbarian. Suprisingly enough I didn't take much time at all and I only died 2x (forgot about some guys near the gate while running down the stairs).

Anyway, was thinking maybe i'll hang out with this char a bit more but not really sure where to go with him. Ideas?

btw, the skeletons in 4-1 are LAUGHABLY easier that I remember, probably because of the club that i'm using.
Yep any blunt weapon or fire magic will mess those skelles up good, got me my first 20 soul levels farming 4-1

Cirruss

I finally did it. I finally beat the end boss. It's finally over. That was awesome. I don't know why but for some reason the end boss reminded me of the feeling I got while fighting Ganondorf in OoT, that feeling that the whole game had just led up to that moment.

I think I'm going to take a break from Demon's Souls until Dark Souls now. I'll probably do the New Game+ after the online servers shut down and I can manipulate the world tendancies more easily.

oracrest

Cirruss said:
I finally did it. I finally beat the end boss. It's finally over. That was awesome. I don't know why but for some reason the end boss reminded me of the feeling I got while fighting Ganondorf in OoT, that feeling that the whole game had just led up to that moment.

I think I'm going to take a break from Demon's Souls until Dark Souls now. I'll probably do the New Game+ after the online servers shut down and I can manipulate the world tendancies more easily.

Congrats!

You can also play offline to control world tendency. And having the server available can give your world a bump for free, since they are usually average to white. Get a few bumps from the server, then continue to play offline exclusively.

RedSwirl

So here's my current situation: I'm just gonna repeat 4-1 for a while.

Every time I play 4-1, 5 minutes in I have enough souls to level up, and I don't wanna press forward and risk losing them, so I just head back to the nexus to level up. This'll probably continue until I reach a level high enough to where 9,000 souls is considered chump change.

imthemaid

Banned
My flame shield works against the dragon when he's near the nest, but when I try to use it on the bridge, it turns into a "the goggles, they do nothing" situation. Is it because of the angle of the dragon's approach? I'm locking on to it.

I've made it across the bridge, but I'm still curious.

2AdEPT

Killing Ostrava?

if you want the best armour in the game, and one of the most powerful (and coolest) non-upgrading swords....then kill away. You can wait for these things by saving him three times through the whole game and he gives a pure clearstone in 1.3.....but I like getting the sword and armour early with certain characters. Kill away as soon as you see him but get that key! Don't lose that KEY!

Ostinatto

i need help gap again

i need to have the white character tendency (friend ring)
so rightnow im in black character tendendy -4
so i have to kill 9 black phantoms to get WCT ??

any volunteers ? :D

im soul level 126
PSN ID: forsakenwins

thanks

Reilly

Ostinatto said:
i need help gap again

im soul level 126

thanks

You can also kill the BP NPCs in Pure Black World Tendency, though it might take another playthrough if you can't find invaders.

2AdEPT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Now, that've played it more and I actually have some spells and stuff it's not so bad and I'm actually enjoying it. I regret telling my friend he can borrow my PS3 now to play FIFA since I probably won't have this finished my then. :(
I was reading the last few pages and I would have bet money you would not give up...something about the hate that this game dishes out early must be vindicated!!!

You asked a lot of questions that people here only gave partial answers to in order to allow you to experience the game for what it is....an experience. I totally argued with my 12 year old son over this...he was on teh wiki right away cause he heard this game was "hard." I said that I wanted the satisfaction for figuring out things for myself...and got it in droves....but obviously paid a price for the satisfaction. I admit that the wiki helped me a lot after the fact, once spoilers were no large factor after a couple playthroughs....but that first game with you vs. Universe is so rewarding to overcome.

I wanted to tell you when you asked about doing more 1.1 or moving on past the dragon about all kinds of things you could do on 1.1 like acquire the best armour, coolest non-upgradable weapon, and a sneaky way get a tonne of souls by actually scaring off the dragon in 1.1 and then actaully killing that dragon that so rudely one hit you in 1.2....but I had to hold back......I what is soooo ironic is that you don't have to load up on souls or levels to get this stuff....just have to use your brain. I have been playing this game off and on since 2009.....I notice a handful of posters here like yosichan, oracrest, and others have been here since then as well....and are still here.....this should tell you something. I always laugh when I hear people say this game isn't for everyone....and it isn't; but everyone would be better off for liking demon's souls! The type of person that doesn't tough it out and learn the ropes could use this game as training for their life, if not for their gaming enjoyment.

2AdEPT

Ostinatto said:
i need help gap again

im soul level 126

thanks
you can also get white charcter tendency by being a blue helper and delivering the final blow in PVP on whatever black phantom, npc or invader. if your character isn't particulaly strong having a host and anohter bllue around means its easier to kill the phantom/ invader. You can message your team and ask them if they care about char tendency and will often let you take the final swing.

deim0s

imthemaid said:
My flame shield works against the dragon when he's near the nest, but when I try to use it on the bridge, it turns into a "the goggles, they do nothing" situation. Is it because of the angle of the dragon's approach? I'm locking on to it.

I've made it across the bridge, but I'm still curious.

Don't bother facing the dragon. If you're just trying to cross, wait till it starts its breath run then follow. If you're 'shooting it down' well...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ostinatto said:
i need help gap again

im soul level 126

thanks
Just go to 4-1 in body form and you'll be invaded all the time or get summed as a blue. You'll be there in no time.

Ourobolus

Banned
Slogged my way through 4-2 last night. The boss was cake, but that level sure throws a lot of different shit at you. That last reaper tucked in the corner at the end of the hallway was the bane of my existence for 30 minutes or so.

Reilly

Ourobolus said:
Slogged my way through 4-2 last night. The boss was cake, but that level sure throws a lot of different shit at you. That last reaper tucked in the corner at the end of the hallway was the bane of my existence for 30 minutes or so.

Of all the troll moments in Demon's Souls, I'm pretty sure that's #1. I just imagine the developers all laughing as they place a reaper there.

Ourobolus

Banned
Reilly said:
Of all the troll moments in Demon's Souls, I'm pretty sure that's #1. I just imagine the developers all laughing as they place a reaper there.
I must have tried at least 5 different ways to get past him before I finally settled on the one that I thought wouldn't work initially.

- Try to run towards the ghost and attack it. Destroyed by the reaper. Damn.
- Run straight at the reaper, get an attack in, get destroyed by laser beam from ghost. Damn.
- Fuck it, try to run straight through. YES I MADE IT DOWN THE STAIRS...destroyed by soul arrow from Reaper in the back.
- Slowly walk up with shield raised, block the laser beam, try to take out reaper, get destroyed by my own damn fault of not dodging well.

Finally I just decided to snipe the ghost from afar, stopping every now and then to re-kill the ghost that appears next to me. Then I just walked up and beat the shit out of the reaper. So satisfying.

johntown

Banned
Ourobolus said:
I must have tried at least 5 different ways to get past him before I finally settled on the one that I thought wouldn't work initially.

- Try to run towards the ghost and attack it. Destroyed by the reaper. Damn.
- Run straight at the reaper, get an attack in, get destroyed by laser beam from ghost. Damn.
- Fuck it, try to run straight through. YES I MADE IT DOWN THE STAIRS...destroyed by soul arrow from Reaper in the back.
- Slowly walk up with shield raised, block the laser beam, try to take out reaper, get destroyed by my own damn fault of not dodging well.

Finally I just decided to snipe the ghost from afar, stopping every now and then to re-kill the ghost that appears next to me. Then I just walked up and beat the shit out of the reaper. So satisfying.
Yeah, I was just going to say kill the phantom closest to the reaper and then run past. If you have enough stamina and the thief's ring you should be able to get past him without a soul arrow in the back.

Ourobolus

Banned
johntown said:
Yeah, I was just going to say kill the phantom closest to the reaper and then run past. If you have enough stamina and the thief's ring you should be able to get past him without a soul arrow in the back.
Yeah, I had both of those. When I tried it without killing the ghost I'd get hit, but if I took out the ghost, I knew I could get the reaper pretty easily. And with the Ring of Avarice on it's usually a pretty good chunk of souls.

2AdEPT

johntown said:

ROLL continuously if you have the stamina as well.....first time I made that run successfully I rolled....every other time I got a bottle of lightning in the back. Firestorm, and Wrath of GOd in particular (goes through the walll) has its uses as well...;)

Joei

Ourobolus said:

I always have the most trouble with this level. The way it's designed is very 2D esque with the way you progress through it though. I think this game does a fantastic job at integrating 2D level structure in a 3D environment while making it feel very natural and organic. Also, you have to have a lot of patience to get through the level and a lot of patience to beat the boss.

God the tower of latria or whatever is evil.
Those face hugging bastards, the constant up-down-up down layout. I must have spent 3 hours clearing my way through, unlocking stuff so I never have to go back.

Thankfully Im so powerful as this is the last tower stage two was alot easier and the Maneaters fight was me putting light weapon on my blueblade and hacking the hell out of them.

Im thinking of doing NG+ but what gets carried over and is there stuff I absolutely must do?
Wondering what my chances are of killing the tutorial guy are this time round...

Rattles

Ok I've decide to try and finish up my DS trophies but am having trouble with my world tendency. Everytime I beat a boss or just return to the hub the world go's pure black! I have been dieing but iv been doing the old quit game trick, Did they patch it?.
Im playing the chinese version btw

2AdEPT

Johnlenham said:
God the tower of latria or whatever is evil.
Those face hugging bastards, the constant up-down-up down layout. I must have spent 3 hours clearing my way through, unlocking stuff so I never have to go back.

Thankfully Im so powerful as this is the last tower stage two was alot easier and the Maneaters fight was me putting light weapon on my blueblade and hacking the hell out of them.

Im thinking of doing NG+ but what gets carried over and is there stuff I absolutely must do?
Wondering what my chances are of killing the tutorial guy are this time round...

YEah the medusas as I call them are deadly if you let them face you...the idea for them is to never let that happen....which isn't that difficult, because they are glacially slow. I usually do 3.1 right after 1.1 and 1.2 to get sage freke saved and into the magic. DOn't recall requiring anything big and mighty...which it sounds like you have.
THeif ring is a must but pretty sure you can freeze lock them with multiple backstabs with a dagger or spear, even if you don't get the critical backstab.
Just don't let them see you face to face and all is well even with the lowest level character.

YOu basically have to do at least 3 play-throughs to do everything, usually more if you want to try platinum, (which I am not crazy about BTW, its more the game play) because even as an experienced player, there is uslly something that I screw up once per round. THE mephistopheles quest for example is tough to mix with other things and you are forced to prety much do it last...so how the hell can you get a good feel for the
FOe's ring or that extra Coulourless demon's soul on your bone smasher
if you don't do another round? You will need the fancy items you get as it gets much harder as you go. You get different things from the end game and until you do two rounds you don't get both the
red-eye stone, and the maiden soul for soul-sucker.
YOu really haven't done everything unless you experience both of these entities and use them in the various situations they can then apply both in PVP and PVE alike, especially on earlier levels when you didn't have access to them the first time....
YOu gonna tell me with a straight face you don't want to pay back false King Allant for soul sucking your levels the first round in round two....well I did, and at least tried it even if it was going to be disallowed! DOran and Ostrava payed for him since the game disallows soul sucking of bosses!
Hence the real DS starts here slogan...there is too much to try, including all the pure white and pure black tendency stuff....it is next to impossible to remember to do everything you think you want to do in one playthrough, and impossible to do all things available quite frankly unles you don't mind missing certain major aspects of the game. DIfferent classes and magic vs. fatih vs. strength vs. dex hybrid is another story all together.

THis game makes a game within the game of giving you the choice of going through the levels and enemies in your own order, and hence has a perfect storm weapon or defence item out there that you obviously couldn't use the first round as you hadn't got all the stuff yet.....I argue at least two if not three playthroughs or you haven't even skimmed the surface of what the game offers.

THe vangaurd at the tutorial is not tough to beat, but it takes patience....more than the reward received.

2AdEPT

Rattles said:
Ok I've decide to try and finish up my DS trophies but am having trouble with my world tendency. Everytime I beat a boss or just return to the hub the world go's pure black! I have been dieing but iv been doing the old quit game trick, Did they patch it?.

I have no experience with the chinese version...but if you are dying a lot I would say it is patched, especially after a boss, which should be a pretty big whitener.....but as for the NA version:

You have to learn the trick of playing off line at times because as soon as you return to the nexus after engaging in a tendency changing event, things start averaging backto white, or if pure white they go back to off white, especially if you died while trying to get back after a boss by falling off a ledge or something. THis is annoying when going for black in partiucular but not insurmountable as Ephemeral eye stones are dime a dozen for farming in 5.2..especially when already toward black a bit. If you screw up your white you must kill black phantoms of any kind if all the bosess are done.

But the easy remedy is to NEVER ENTER the nexuswithout being offline first. YOu can do all the shtuff you want during PVP as long as you don't go opposite to the goal you have, i.e. go black phatom when trying for white, or blue when trying for black....just go to the Ps3 menu prior to entering the nexus and change your internet setting to offline. THere are various ways to do this, none are quick as you have to quit most itmes but there is a shorter version my son figured out that I can not recall right now which involves the triangle button and the game menu, not the system menu.

deim0s

I just witnessed my first BP invader... Started sniping him behind the pillar to where hes hiding in 3-2 then he walked to cross the narrow ledge towards me and fell to his death. LOL. Was looking forward to take a swing at Player BPs. :p

BTW can you disable the large arrow launcher in 3-1?

Rattles

2AdEPT said:
I have no experience with the chinese version...but if you are dying a lot I would say it is patched, especially after a boss, which should be a pretty big whitener.....but as for the NA version:
Cheers thanks for the help. Still pretty weird as iv never had this problem before.

Rattles said:

Chinese as in Asian version? Thats what im on and everything but the shrine of storms is pure black on mine. It made Latria tha bid harder with red soulsuckers running around all over the places!

Rattles

Johnlenham said:
Chinese as in Asian version? Thats what im on and everything but the shrine of storms is pure black on mine. It made Latria tha bid harder with red soulsuckers running around all over the places!
Yea mate asian version here too. Thats funny lvl 4 is the onlyone not affected here too...

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
deim0s said:
I just witnessed my first BP invader... Started sniping him behind the pillar to where hes hiding in 3-2 then he walked to cross the narrow ledge towards me and fell to his death. LOL. Was looking forward to take a swing at Player BPs. :p

BTW can you disable the large arrow launcher in 3-1?

Yes, from behind it. Eventually you'll make it there, then you disable it.

I hadn't played this bad boy since launch but I finally decided to boot it back up and play through it before Dark Souls hits. It took me about 20 minutes to remember how much I loved this game and kick myself for not finishing it a year and a half ago.

Anyway, I think I'm SL50 or so and I've played for about 22 hours. I managed to beat 5-2 last night, what a disgustingly unpleasant level. I mean that in the best way possible, of course.

I also had my first run in with a human controlled black phantom in 4-2. Somehow I got invaded by two of them back-to-back. I was able to take out the first one but the second proved to be a little too difficult for me. Either way I thought it was an awesome experience and I'm disappointed that I didn't spend more time getting into it in the past.

Does anyone know when the DS servers will shut down? I've heard October of this year but I'm not sure how current that is. I'm in NA by the way.

Finished it earlier. Fell kind of stupid for leaving it till this morning as Old monk was a walk up the stairs!
On NG+ now and beat 1-1, now Im not sure If I want to carry on. I would like to make Northern Regalia but other than that I dabbled in invading but I just got curb stomped by blue phantoms aha I prefer if people come after me!

oracrest

The_Darkest_Red said:
Does anyone know when the DS servers will shut down? I've heard October of this year but I'm not sure how current that is. I'm in NA by the way.

They have never given a "cut-off" date, but rather a date that they promise to maintain servers up until. Going by their history of server behavior, I imagine they will do at the very least a mini-extension once Dark Souls comes out, to see if that game boosts Demon's Souls activity.

From what I can tell, NA servers are still very active. I don't imagine them taking them down completely until the activity diminishes...

Top Bottom