• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yes.

Prepare to feel pain.

FUUUUUUUUUU Why did I do 2-2? :(

2AdEPT said:
I was reading the last few pages and I would have bet money you would not give up...something about the hate that this game dishes out early must be vindicated!!!

You asked a lot of questions that people here only gave partial answers to in order to allow you to experience the game for what it is....an experience. I totally argued with my 12 year old son over this...he was on teh wiki right away cause he heard this game was "hard." I said that I wanted the satisfaction for figuring out things for myself...and got it in droves....but obviously paid a price for the satisfaction. I admit that the wiki helped me a lot after the fact, once spoilers were no large factor after a couple playthroughs....but that first game with you vs. Universe is so rewarding to overcome.

I wanted to tell you when you asked about doing more 1.1 or moving on past the dragon about all kinds of things you could do on 1.1 like acquire the best armour, coolest non-upgradable weapon, and a sneaky way get a tonne of souls by actually scaring off the dragon in 1.1 and then actaully killing that dragon that so rudely one hit you in 1.2....but I had to hold back......I what is soooo ironic is that you don't have to load up on souls or levels to get this stuff....just have to use your brain. I have been playing this game off and on since 2009.....I notice a handful of posters here like yosichan, oracrest, and others have been here since then as well....and are still here.....this should tell you something. I always laugh when I hear people say this game isn't for everyone....and it isn't; but everyone would be better off for liking demon's souls! The type of person that doesn't tough it out and learn the ropes could use this game as training for their life, if not for their gaming enjoyment.

I don't mind having to learn but when you look at your in game clock have 5-6 hours and literally ZERO progress you just get the feeling of why am I wasting my time with this? Once I beat the first level though that initial frustration was lowered since I finally accomplished "something"

Zeliard

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Because you want to murder Flamelurker since he holds the key to using boss souls to upgrade. I would say he's probably the toughest non-optional boss in the game, especially since you're 'expected' to face him relatively early on, though you can technically wait a long time before you do.

There are definitely much easier bosses you may want to look into slapping around first if you haven't, like 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, to start. All of those are cakewalks.

Yikes boss is fucking fast, why can't he just leave me along? Why can't we be friends? :(

Zeliard said:
Because you want to murder Flamelurker since he holds the key to using boss souls to upgrade. I would say he's probably the toughest non-optional boss in the game, especially since you're 'expected' to face him relatively early on, though you can technically wait a long time before you do.

There are definitely much easier bosses you may want to look into slapping around first if you haven't, like 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, to start. All of those are cakewalks.

I already went through the fog though!

johntown

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I read a couple places the 2-2 boss is one of the hardest in the game... Is this true? :(
I would say no. I think the 3-2 boss is harder than him. Possibly the 3-3 boss could be the hardest boss in the game (but it all depends who if you play online and who gets summoned).

EDIT: Not to mention the 1-4 boss who can be just as hard as 3-2.

Zeliard said:
Well after he sends you back to the Nexus in a few seconds, you can go kill the others. :p

Ya, I died. I think I can take him though. I got about 3/4 of the way and then I got trapped in one of the pockets of bone and he killed me. It doesn't seem bad but you really have to be patient.

johntown

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, I died. I think I can take him though. I got about 3/4 of the way and then I got trapped in one of the pockets of bone and he killed me. It doesn't seem bad but you really have to be patient.
You need either the Purple Flame Shield or Ring of Flame Resistance and the Thief's Ring equipped. If you do not have any of that equipment then you will have a VERY difficult fight and I would suggest doing a different level.

Joei

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I don't mind having to learn but when you look at your in game clock have 5-6 hours and literally ZERO progress you just get the feeling of why am I wasting my time with this? Once I beat the first level though that initial frustration was lowered since I finally accomplished "something"

Well, it's not that you didn't get anything out of it, you did, were learning the game, though commiting that amount of time to learn a game is not something people are happy with. Sometimes it's hard to see the worth of it if it's not a tangible result.

As for the 2-2 boss, try different methods and approaches to beat him. I thought he was one of the hardest bosses, but when I tried different ways of approaching him and using different techniques, I think he's definitely manageable. I beat him with my 25 character, no cheats or cheap techniques, just using a different approach than I tried before.

johntown said:
You need either the Purple Flame Shield or Ring of Flame Resistance and the Thief's Ring equipped. If you do not have any of that equipment then you will have a VERY difficult fight and I would suggest doing a different level.

That's just not true. I would tell you my technique but I'm on my phone and don't wanna type that much, lol.

Zeliard

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Most of the bosses in the game are pretty easy - some surprisingly so the first time you face them - but Flamelurker can be an early obstacle for melee players since he's fast, highly aggressive and can do damage in a wide arc.

Once his health drops below 50% or so his flames get redder and he gets faster and I believe does more damage, and his attack patterns slightly change. That's when he's most dangerous.

I dunno what type of char you're running but for Magic users he's probably quite easy, especially with the Thief Ring. Just stay back and Soul Arrow his ass.

He's not bad I just get myself trapped in the corner. I got stuck on one of the bone things and then he ran to fast and got me trapped and just kept pounding until I was dead. He was down to 1/4 health, I just wasn't careful and I literally couldn't move from that spot and I was helpless.

And ya, his pattern changes and his old attacks don't do more damage but the new attacks he does do do a lot more damage.

Zeliard said:
Most of the bosses in the game are pretty easy - some surprisingly so the first time you face them - but Flamelurker can be an early obstacle for melee players since he's fast, highly aggressive and can do damage in a wide arc.

Once his health drops below 50% or so his flames get redder and he gets faster and I believe does more damage, and his attack patterns slightly change. That's when he's most dangerous.

I dunno what type of char you're running but for Magic users he's probably quite easy, especially with the Thief Ring. Just stay back and Soul Arrow his ass.
Pretty much what I did. Roll, roll, soul arrow, soul arrow, roll, roll, etc.

inky

Oh God, Dark souls is almost here and Demon's Souls has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years unplayed! The servers are going (have gone?) down soon, aren't they?
The game defeated me without even having the disc in. =( TBH I liked the game, I played it some (defeated a couple of bosses) but I'm a heavy multitasker and the "no pause" in this game didn't help one bit.

Maybe I'll give it one last chance these days.

inky said:
Oh God, Dark souls is almost here and Demon's Souls has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years unplayed! The servers are going (have gone?) down soon, aren't they?
The game defeated me without even having the disc in. =( TBH I liked the game, I played it some (defeated a couple of bosses) but I'm a heavy multitasker and the "no pause" in this game didn't help one bit.

Ya, lack of pausing annoys me too.

fredrancour said:
Yeah, it's his only cheesy weakness, though it's nowhere near as overpowered and lazy as 3-2's cheap weakness.

:lol That bitch is going down then. Also, does the camera suck later on? The whole reason I got trapped is the camera angle is like constantly blocked by everything when dodging him so all I would see was rocks and I would panic since he was down low enough to start jumping around.

inky said:

I would give it another try, it's an awesome game and if you already beat a couple bosses I can't see it being that bad for you. The beginning was almost unbearable for me.

Zeliard

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Haha, seriously? People just try to get him stuck?

Yeah in one of the bone structures. It was popular to cheese him since he's a toughie for a lot of people.

Other bosses can be cheesed as well. I heard of one where you can shoot one of the Maneaters through the fog door before even entering it, which is just rofl. I think that's the one fredrancour is referring to. Maneaters (3-2 boss) are often considered one of the more difficult bosses, though that's largely because of the environment you're fighting them in, since your movement is limited.

Zeliard said:
Yeah in one of the bone structures. It was popular to cheese him since he's a toughie for a lot of people.

Other bosses can be cheesed as well. I heard of one where you can shoot one of the Maneaters through the fog door before even entering it, which is just rofl. I think that's the one fredrancour is referring to. Maneaters (3-2 boss) are often considered one of the more difficult bosses, though that's largely because of the environment you're fighting them in, since your movement is limited.

Haha, ya I'm definitely getting too him again then if he cheapshoted me :mad:

I found it easier to roll back then soul arrow him when I got the chance than try to straight up fight him flame-ring and shield helped alot aswell.
Defiantly the hardest boss for me. Thankfully the short cut stops it from being horrific with having to clear all the way to the end over and over again.

oracrest

After defeating Flamelurker for the first time (melee,) I became 3 or 4 times better at dodging.

You can roll through all his flame bursts unscathed if your timing is right.

I've never cheesed him or Maneater, and they were my two hardest battles.

johntown

Banned
oracrest said:
After defeating Flamelurker for the first time (melee,) I became 3 or 4 times better at dodging.

Didn't they suppossedly fix that in Dark Souls? Invincible timed rolls? That you take damage now?

EasyMode

johntown said:
Didn't they suppossedly fix that in Dark Souls? Invincible timed rolls? That you take damage now?
I think they just reduced the duration of the invincibility so the timing would be more strict.

johntown said:
I would say no. I think the 3-2 boss is harder than him. Possibly the 3-3 boss could be the hardest boss in the game (but it all depends who if you play online and who gets summoned).

EDIT: Not to mention the 1-4 boss who can be just as hard as 3-2.

After all, 1-4 can be considered the final boss of the game, but 2-2 is deadly if you face him early on, he's so brutal, fast and relentless.

3-2 can be really hard....but can be relatively easy, it's a bit random.

Zeliard

Johnlenham said:
I found it easier to roll back then soul arrow him when I got the chance than try to straight up fight him flame-ring and shield helped alot aswell.
Defiantly the hardest boss for me. Thankfully the short cut stops it from being horrific with having to clear all the way to the end over and over again.

Flamelurker is significantly easier if you use magic on him. In fact I'm pretty sure he actually has a weakness to all magic (cept fire of course), and not only that, but you get to stay out of range of his attacks.

It's fighting Flamelurker in melee that can be a bitch, especially if you're going with a Faith build and don't have access to spells like Water Veil (which I think stacks with the flame resistance ring), but so rewarding when you take him down.

Zeliard said:
Flamelurker is significantly easier if you use magic on him. In fact I'm pretty sure he actually has a weakness to all magic (cept fire of course), and not only that, but you get to stay out of range of his attacks.

It's fighting Flamelurker in melee that can be a bitch, especially if you're going with a Faith build and don't have access to spells like Water Veil (which I think stacks with the flame resistance ring), but so rewarding when you take him down.

Yeah I pretty much threw my hands up and said fuck this after losing 10 odd times in melee so I had to go soul arrow/roll route to win and even then it took me another 10 more! :p

oracrest said:

Ah, I was freaked out the 2 or so times I rolled when I was close enough that I should have been hurt and received no damage. That's interesting.

Joei

Zeliard said:

Yeah, that's exactly what it is with this boss. Melee works well on some bosses, on some bosses ranged works well, and on Flamelurker, magic is the way to go. You can powerlevel your character up if you insist on taking him down with brute force, but it's so much easier and time efficient to use magic. You get character with Soul Arrow and Thief Ring, and he can be beat pretty easily. All you have to do is keep your distance and blast away with Soul Arrow. You don't even have to be strong in magic, all you need is 10 INT. That's it. As for armor, make sure your weight under 50% to keep your mobility up, and if you have any armor that increases Fire Resistance, wear that. A crescent weapon is also an excellent choice to wear for the MP regen (like Crescent Falchion from 4-1), and it may be smarter to wear a Flame Resistance ring than a cling ring for the instance where you do get attacked, though you'd have to trial and error that one out. And yes, Water Veil and Flame ring stack.

Gregorn

I'm so close to getting platinum I can already hear the sound of it unlocking. I just need to get a couple of rings and grin for the stone, the one from the katana skeletons. I've read some guy saying it took him 40 hours until it dropped, no way will I attempt anything longer than 3 hours.

Leunam

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, so now the truth comes out! All that bullshit of "learning" just meant you need to learn how to cheese. I knew it was bullshit!

Well when I say cheesing I mean I just ran away and dodged when necessary. I didn't wait for him to disengage so I could plink him from far away nor did I get him stuck on the stairs.

Plus it really doesn't hurt to know a couple of spells like Soul Arrow even on a melee build.

razgriz417 said:
I hate 5-2 & 5-3 so much...

Valley of Defilement? Yeah, I hated that place as well. About the only thing I liked was the story behind Astraea and the Vinlands.

Joei

Leunam said:
I play a Knight, but I admit I cheesed Flamerlurker with Soul Arrow while running away like a little bitch.

How is that cheesing? If you go up to a beast running around lighting shit on fire, you will get lit on fire and lose most of your health. The best option is to then just keep your distance and battle him that way.

Spiffy_1st said:
I'm so close to getting platinum I can already hear the sound of it unlocking. I just need to get a couple of rings and grin for the stone, the one from the katana skeletons. I've read some guy saying it took him 40 hours until it dropped, no way will I attempt anything longer than 3 hours.

It took me about 6 or 7 hours with PBWT and LSoS.

RIK

Neo Member
Leunam said:
I play a Knight, but I admit I cheesed Flamerlurker with Soul Arrow while running away like a little bitch.

When i realized how powerful magic is in this game i went that route and never looked back. With maxed out magic equipment i am walking death for almost every enemy in the game, including most bosses, plus there is still the option to melee with weapons that scale with INT and magic stats when i feel like it. I'm a glass cannon with all that stuff i put on, but oneshotting Maneaters never felt so good. :p

The only exception was Garl Vinland, since he is almost immune to magic, but i cheesed him with a good shield and Scraping Spear.

Leunam said:
Well when I say cheesing I mean I just ran away and dodged when necessary. I didn't wait for him to disengage so I could plink him from far away nor did I get him stuck on the stairs.

Plus it really doesn't hurt to know a couple of spells like Soul Arrow even on a melee build.

Valley of Defilement? Yeah, I hated that place as well. About the only thing I liked was the story behind Astraea and the Vinlands.

Bullshit! You're backpedaling won't work here!

Gregorn

RIK said:
The only exception was Garl Vinland, since he is almost immune to magic, but i cheesed him with a good shield and Scraping Spear.

Homing soul arrow took him down with ease. Whenever I would get near he'd start to attack and the arrows would attack right at that moment taking off huge amounts of health.

RIK

Neo Member
Spiffy_1st said:
Homing soul arrow took him down with ease. Whenever I would get near he'd start to attack and the arrows would attack right at that moment taking off huge amounts of health.

Oh really? I never tried that since normal soul arrow didn't do much on him and he has all that dark silver gear. Need to try that, i think his BP should still be there on my current playthrough.

Spiffy_1st said:
I got a pure bladestone from the hidden passage black skeleton while I was farming for souls, you can have it if you want it.

Leunam

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Can you buy those or anything? The two guys in the nexus don't have any.

You can find them. There's one in the Nexus, actually. Under the platform where you meet the Monumental.

Gregorn

electroshockwave said:
I got a pure bladestone from the hidden passage black skeleton while I was farming for souls, you can have it if you want it.

I'm on the EU server (I think), if that prevents anything.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Can you buy those or anything? The two guys in the nexus don't have any.
You'll find most of them as set treasure drops in levels. There are a couple in the Nexus-one on the balcony below the Monumental and another in the Pantheon at the top of the Nexus. The giant depraved ones and plague babies in world 5 drop them. Patches and the world 5 vendor sell them but they're pretty expensive.

You can also get your body back by helping a host defeat a boss as a blue phantom or invading and killing a host as a black phantom.

Leunam said:
You can find them. There's one in the Nexus, actually. Under the platform where you meet the Monumental.

In the center where the entrances to the levels are or on the steps by the monumental?

electroshockwave said:
You'll find most of them as set treasure drops in levels. There are a couple in the Nexus-one on the balcony below the Monumental and another in the Pantheon at the top of the Nexus. The giant depraved ones and plague babies in world 5 drop them. Patches and the world 5 vendor sell them but they're pretty expensive.

You can also get your body back by helping a host defeat a boss as a blue phantom or invading and killing a host as a black phantom.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. What is the blue and black phantom thing? I know when I've killed a boss after dying I get my body back but that seems like an annoying way since I want my body back for the boss.

Spiffy_1st said:
I'm on the EU server (I think), if that prevents anything.
Ah, I'm on the NA/Atlus server. Well as a tip I'd recommend going after the hidden passage black skeleton rather than the black phantom one near the end of the level. It took me ages to get a pure with the latter but I've got two without really trying on the former.

Leunam

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
In the center where the entrances to the levels are or on the steps by the monumental?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. What is the blue and black phantom thing? I know when I've killed a boss after dying I get my body back but that seems like an annoying way since I want my body back for the boss.

Go to the far end of the platform away from the Monumental and there will be a small staircase that leads down one level.

If you help out another player as a blue phantom, you can get your body back when they defeat a boss. If you invade another player as a black phantom, you'll get your body back if you kill them.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Use your blue eye stone in a level while in soul form to put down your soul sign. Another player can use this to summon you into their world to help them. To invade use your black eye stone, it works pretty much the same way but there's no soul sign so it's non-consensual.

Top Bottom