• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

deim0s

Leunam said:
Well when I say cheesing I mean I just ran away and dodged when necessary. I didn't wait for him to disengage so I could plink him from far away nor did I get him stuck on the stairs.

Plus it really doesn't hurt to know a couple of spells like Soul Arrow even on a melee build.

Same here.

I tried using the environment at him on my first try and I got stuck instead on some rock and he just pounced on me.

Soul Arrow does wonders in a pinch.

Ostinatto

so , yesterday i was using my blue stone on 4-1 (trying to get friend's ring)
and i saw the summoner , one blue phantom and a black plhantom waving at me
seconds laterthe black phantom one shot me, and drain me 1 soul level.

conclusion??

is this a new way to farm soul levels?

2AdEPT

Johnlenham said:
I found it easier to roll back then soul arrow him when I got the chance than try to straight up fight him flame-ring and shield helped alot aswell.
Defiantly the hardest boss for me. Thankfully the short cut stops it from being horrific with having to clear all the way to the end over and over again.
Carrying dragon bonesmasher even in off hand also stacks with fire resistances...obviously only possible for ng + onward.

2AdEPT

Ostinatto said:
so , yesterday i was using my blue stone on 4-1 (trying to get friend's ring)
and i saw the summoner , one blue phantom and a black plhantom waving at me
seconds laterthe black phantom one shot me, and drain me 1 soul level.

conclusion??

is this a new way to farm soul levels?

YOu lose a level, I think they just get souls...double what your total soul count was if SS was used.

Probably one of the most annoying things people can do on the system is collude to steal souls from helping minded blue players...you can usually spot them, they aren't really fighting each other just dancing, oir even just standing around and waving like you said...then when you get close to the action and think the host will help you when you depleat yourself....the black brings out soul sucker. I only got duped once, and pressed the ps3 buttin after realizing what they were up to...I'm not losing even one sould to crap like that. I try ot kill the MF when I see what they are doing but if I happen to lose the button gets pressed, or I use white eye stone if I have time.

2AdEPT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nothing sparkles on the floor under him. :(
You may have taken the item at the start of the game and just didn't realize you took it already as you would not know what it was for.

THere are lots of EE stones all over the place...just look it up on the wiki and find the closest easiest one, its not a sin to use the wiki for something minor like that is it?

AS mentioned you can farm the giants in 5-1 and 5-2 and get enough for a whole playthrough (30-40)... while in black world tendency you get a few extra giants as well. AS you are a mage I would suggest homing soul arrow and lots of spice and extra MP form silver catalist and the headgear circlet thingy which I can't remember the name of right now.

2AdEPT

Johnlenham said:
Finished it earlier. Fell kind of stupid for leaving it till this morning as Old monk was a walk up the stairs!
On NG+ now and beat 1-1, now Im not sure If I want to carry on. I would like to make Northern Regalia but other than that I dabbled in invading but I just got curb stomped by blue phantoms aha I prefer if people come after me!
For anyone hoping to use Northern REgalia in NG+ etc.
you can go get soul brandt from the false king after defeating him. BUt before you choose what to do for end game you can leave using evacuate to the nexus then you can go to ED with both parts, make it, then take it with you or leave it in you stockpile for next game. THis way you have it for 1-1 etc, where as you would have ot wait until after flamelurker otherwise.

I'm so confused now, the thing by the monumental is that just one of the items that gives you back your body or what are you guys talking about. From people randomly saying I can't do it offline I have no idea what I am doing.

2AdEPT said:
For anyone hoping to use Northern REgalia in NG+ etc.
you can go get soul brandt from the false king after defeating him. BUt before you choose what to do for end game you can leave using evacuate to the nexus then you can go to ED with both parts, make it, then take it with you or leave it in you stockpile for next game. THis way you have it for 1-1 etc, where as you would have ot wait until after flamelurker otherwise.
Fuuuuu!
I went to walk out of the fog gate and well yeah..
Now I have to go through 2-1, 2-2 in NG+. That will not be fun! as they are my most hated levels!

Soma

Doing a new game to prepare my body for Dark Souls. Rolling with a Female Thief for this one.

1-1 is down. Totally didn't get myself killed once or twice in the process (damn spear dudes). Screw you too Phalanx. I don't care how relatively easy he is, the first time I beat him I was all FUCK YEAH I BEAT A BOSS IN DEMON'S SOULS

time for... 2-1 I guess. Come at me bro!

Ourobolus

Banned
Knocked out 5-2, 3-2, 3-3, and 4-3 last night. Almost there. After I've beaten the bosses (I know that 1-4 triggers the last boss), what should I do before going into NG+?

EDIT: I haven't done a whole lot regarding tendency. I played mostly online, though yesterday I had some internet issues and played offline while beating these four levels. So it's possible I have PWWT in 3/4/5 (maybe). I'm buying miracles with my souls (though I used Adjudicator's for the Meat Cleaver). Is there an easy way to go white with tendency after bosses are beaten? If not I suppose I could just go PBWT, but I may save that for the next playthrough.

Novid

Banned
Finshed the game. Greatest jRPG since Xenogears. So many flaws but the endings made up for it. looks like were gonna see another Xenosaga conserning dark souls. and even though that game was better than it had to be, it pretty much forced every company in Japan to find that cult classic - so much so they wrecked their mainline franchises up until Demon Souls came out.

Thats whats wrong with the J-Delovoper, not that the want to reach the west or this moe bullshit - they were looking for that NEXT Xenosaga/Crono Cross/FF7 and when the sales lacked, the audiance changed, the landscape (in the west more Millteristic with COD/Battlefield/Halo/Killzone in the east monster hunter like until Tales came out just recently) the J-Devlopment foolishly let go of their best and brightest minds, didnt let those who still were in these companies tell the the story they wanted and now let these psy-oped artist make a moekery (that was intentional misspelling) of the business with the cute games with sad messages.

Demon Souls is truly the message that Japan's Gaming Nexus need need new "Momumentals" before the old "sin" awakens again. They have a honest chance with Dark Souls to push JRPG's finally out of the cute and back to acceptance again. The mistakes starting to come up however worry me.

The ending was the greatest mind fuck ever but it was so simple. I see The Maiden as that force that creates all the "cute" ness in the world. The wax is the sugar that blinds the world to her reality. Shes nothing more than the
the anthropomorphism of the old one himself i.e. she is the force that forced the momumentals to free him and set all the contracts in order to him to wake and once one is smitten with her power that person kills her so she can live with in him/her - but then thats the trick. You have to LET HER GO in order for the old one to sleep
From Software used this game as the biggest inditment of a whole culture trapped between the foolish poltics, the loss of the youth in trying to reach something that can no longer be achived in its present form, how the souls corrupt even with the best of intentions. Its a masterpiece.

Leunam

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm so confused now, the thing by the monumental is that just one of the items that gives you back your body or what are you guys talking about. From people randomly saying I can't do it offline I have no idea what I am doing.

There are basically five "stones" in the game. The Stone of Ephemeral Eyes will restore your body instantly and can be used anywhere in the game, offline or online. The Blue Eye Stone, White Eye Stone, Black Eye Stone, and Red Eye Stone are for online gameplay only and can not be used unless you are online.

2AdEPT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sorry, you weren,t specific in your request...in order to get your body back via ANY EE stone, one of which is near the monumental, you can be offline. Allother ways toget body back will require internet.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Just got a PS3 slim after selling my YLOD'd fat. I'm going to beat this game like 3 more times before Dark Souls comes out. Now that I think about it, I've never done a speed run. I've got a full inventory on one of my chars, anyone need rare stones feel free to shoot me a pm.

oracrest

I found out from it's dedicated thread that just went up, but it needs to be mentioned here too.

;)

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/09/22/atlus-to-extend-demons-souls-online-servers-until-2012/

Also, they are planning special White/Black world tendency events for the holidays.

EDIT:

a new OP image with accurate server info...

servers.png

Anilusion

So the only level I've left is 1-4. I've got Pure White in world 4 and 5. How can I get pure white in 1, 2 and 3 so I can get the last remaining items before the game ends?

Gvaz

Banned
Here's how to keep the servers up: give the server code to players. I guarantee there will be tons of people willing to pay to host servers for this game.

oracrest

Gvaz said:
Here's how to keep the servers up: give the server code to players. I guarantee there will be tons of people willing to pay to host servers for this game.

I have a strange feeling the community would find a way. Hell, I'd throw in for it.

thefil

Hey GAF,

Dark Souls has me hyped. Which would be fine, except that I'm broke, and I have Demon's Souls which I haven't finished sitting on the shelf.

I would like to it again. Last time I played a Wanderer, and had significant difficulty. I was wondering if anyone had tips for making Demon's Souls as easy as possible.

I realize that's sort of counter-intuitive to the point of the game, but I feel like having some success would get me further into it than countless failures. Thanks in advance.

Max

I am not Max
thefil said:
Hey GAF,

Dark Souls has me hyped. Which would be fine, except that I'm broke, and I have Demon's Souls which I haven't finished sitting on the shelf.

I would like to it again. Last time I played a Wanderer, and had significant difficulty. I was wondering if anyone had tips for making Demon's Souls as easy as possible.

I realize that's sort of counter-intuitive to the point of the game, but I feel like having some success would get me further into it than countless failures. Thanks in advance.
Learn from your mistakes and keep playing, once you get the hang of things it's a great experience.

A lot people have been where you are, myself included.

Akainu

Just beat first boss. Was surprisingly easy compared to the red face guy I fought and finally killing after a being killed million times.

Some questions.

Why do people keep jumping from the top of the Nexus?
Where can I get a attack spell?

Akainu said:
Just beat first boss. Was surprisingly easy compared to the red face guy I fought and finally killing after a being killed million times.

Some questions.

Why do people keep jumping from the top of the Nexus?
Where can I get a attack spell?

The different worlds (the archstones)have a thing called Tendency (Black and White). Dying in body form in a world lowers the tendency towards black, which makes the world harder as you have less hp, mobs have more hp, more defense and deliver more damage.

Dying in the nexus in body form does not affect any of the levels tendency. Plus its fun to plummet to your death.

Here is a cool link for more info on Tendency.http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

As for attack spells, after you beat 1-1 and you get your magic to 10, the guy behind the pillars in the right side of nexus appears and trades souls for the first starting attack spells.

Anilusion

Is there anybody here playing on EU servers that could help me out with a Pure Bladestone and a Pure Moonlightstone? I can return the favor with giving you a pure of all other types of stone.

edit: I'm SL88

I also need some help getting the Friend's Ring (getting my character tendency up).

Raziel

thefil said:
Hey GAF,

THE simplest, most direct way to make ds as easy as possible (meaning, barring a faq worth of info and tips) is to use a royal and use the soul arrow spell, upgrade your magic stat steadily throughout, and move on to the soul ray spell when you acquire the 3-1 boss soul. theyre very powerful projectile spells that allow you to hit from a distance and use relatively little MP. tbh i relied on a similar method my very first time throughout the game before i learned the game inside and out.

Raziel

Max said:
Is it even possible to get the Platinum without using any kind of guide? o.o
i dont think so. between special tendency events to acquire special weapons, rings, and access to npc's, to knowing which enemies to farm for specific stones, there is lots of info you will need a guide for. for whats its worth though, once you have a guide, its relatively manageable.

Raziel

i think the only tricky collectibles for the platinum are a handful of the stones. always hit as many of the crystal geckos in world 3 and 4 for the pure moonlightstone and darkmoonstone respectively (as you can only obtain those this way) and always collect the chunks of cloudstones from the world 4 archdemon arena (possible to farm these but theyre kind of a bitch - might as well save yourself a lot of time and just remember to pick them up here every new game). always hit as many of the crystal geckos in all worlds actually to save farming time in general.

every other stone was relatively quick and easy to farm except for two: marrowstone and the infamous pure bladestone. bladestone simply requires black world tendency and persistence.

special weapons and rings - faq it.

all magic, all miracles - just about playing the game over and over to get the necessary duplicate boss souls.

DiegoXJ said:
.... I hate pure bladestones... still haven't had one drop.

Same here, in four playthroughs I haven't gotten one drop... Then again I haven't been very persistent in trying/farming them, but still. Last thing I really farmed was the Purple Flame Shield from pwning the first Red Eyed Knight...and that took me about 50-100 times of killing him (my first playthrough/knight class). Since then I just said screw the tedious crap and had fun. But between me, the dupe glitch/soul glitches from my roommate I did manage to get Platinum.

Top Bottom