• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Soma

Awright Armored Spider and Tower Knight are down (
forgot how susceptible he is to soul arrow
).

Think i'm done for tonight.

I guess I'll tackle Tower Of Latria tomorrow. Man i am dreading that. :(

shiroryu

Fuck this thread for hyping me to dig this out of my backlog...started as a Royal female, made it through the Tutorial, killed by the boss in two hits lol :D

I love the realism of the sword and shield fighting...also how dark the world is...

Does anybody else find the control layout weird? Why are the face buttons not the primary attack and block buttons? Any way to change this?

Some questions I had:

Am starting 1-1 tonight and wanted to know, having read on some of the things you can do in this level: can I get Thief's Ring without having to save Ostrava? The wiki says if I save Ostrava then I need to defeat Phalanx too, else the next time I enter 1-1, Ostrava gets killed by the respawned enemies in his route.

How viable, overall, is a magic build? Are there times where you will need to be in melee? And is farming 1-1 to get the 2,000 soul shield from Boldwin a good move? Also, I assume that you can farm 1-1 without killing Phalanx - that you can just exit via the Archstone to preserve your souls? Thanks!

shiroryu said:
Does anybody else find the control layout weird? Why are the face buttons not the primary attack and block buttons? Any way to change this?
No, you can't change the controls. I personally find them intuitive and easy to use. Right side shoulder buttons control your right hand, and the left shoulder buttons control your left hand.

shiroryu said:
Am starting 1-1 tonight and wanted to know, having read on some of the things you can do in this level: can I get Thief's Ring without having to save Ostrava? The wiki says if I save Ostrava then I need to defeat Phalanx too, else the next time I enter 1-1, Ostrava gets killed by the respawned enemies in his route.
You can get the Thief's Ring without interacting with Ostrava. If you enter an area where he is and don't save him it's very likely he'll end up dead.

shiroryu said:
How viable, overall, is a magic build? Are there times where you will need to be in melee? And is farming 1-1 to get the 2,000 soul shield from Boldwin a good move? Also, I assume that you can farm 1-1 without killing Phalanx - that you can just exit via the Archstone to preserve your souls? Thanks!
All items can be found in the game as loot or treasure. You only need to spend souls on upgrading equipment/stats and buying consumables. Playing as a pure mage is viable, but not as fun as melee. The strongest spells can even kill bosses with only a few hits.

shiroryu

archnemesis said:
No, you can't change the controls. I personally find them intuitive and easy to use. Right side shoulder buttons control your right hand, and the left shoulder buttons control your left hand.

You can get the Thief's Ring without interacting with Ostrava. If you enter an area where he is and don't save him it's very likely he'll end up dead.

All items can be found in the game as loot or treasure. You only need to spend souls on upgrading equipment/stats and buying consumables. Playing as a pure mage is viable, but not as fun as melee. The strongest spells can even kill bosses with only a few hits.

Thanks!

Re: Ostrava, don't you have to talk to him to 'start' the rescue? Or does ignoring him altogether keep him safe for 1-1? Basically, I want the thief ring, but don't want to clear his route in the same playthrough - don't feel confident enough. Is that possible?

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, I've done all the grinding I care to do for my first playthrough for crafting items and the like. Still missing a few purestones, only did one PWWT (5-1), and just took down the Blue Dragon (holy hell that took awhile).

I should finish up 1-4 and the end game later tonight, hopefully. Then NG+!

I think I'm something like SL75. Hasn't been too rough lately, though the -2 World Tendency I accrued from killing
Old King Doran
made some of those guys in 1-4 a bit more of a pain in the ass.

Clunker

I decided to pick up my half-finished melee character again (about SL45 or so); I tried to make things fresh by going with a magician Royal build on a new character, but honestly, I found plinking at enemies from afar really, really dull. At least compared to my original character, where beating the Armor Spider with only a spear made me feel like a golden god! I've since picked up a bow but I think I'll try my hand at going mostly melee with some light miracle usage.

I have all of the first bosses in each area beaten, now trying to figure out where to start in next. I found 4-2 an awesome place to build up souls while also practicing how to beat those gold skeleton assholes consistently.

I started peeking at the wiki but I still have no clue how to handle weapon upgrades. Are they essential to really just beating the game (no real PvP interest yet for me)?

I'm having such a love/hate relationship with this game at the moment! I'm in world 1-2 and trying to kill the temple knight. Problem is, whenever I die, I have to restart at the beginning of the world and waste time to go all of the way back to the boss fight! Is there anyway to bypass this? Or do I just have to keep doing this until I kill the bastard?

Ben Pierce said:
I'm having such a love/hate relationship with this game at the moment! I'm in world 1-2 and trying to kill the temple knight. Problem is, whenever I die, I have to restart at the beginning of the world and waste time to go all of the way back to the boss fight! Is there anyway to bypass this? Or do I just have to keep doing this until I kill the bastard?

buy a ton of arrows and kill the dragon and it'll be slightly faster.

fredrancour said:
buy a ton of arrows and kill the dragon and it'll be slightly faster.

When I turned the game on today for the first time, I actually spawned in front of the fog where the temple knight is. How can I do this again?

Did you quit out of the game while there on your previous session? I usually only quit the game from inside the nexus, so I forget if you load in your previous location or not if you quit elsewhere.

Fired Demons' Souls first time in 2011, I want to get a Platinum. Crap, I forgot everything! Can't even make out what Magic/Miracles I have. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Can someone link to that Demons Souls Wiki? I need that info badly.

P.S. Is Bladestone the one you grind on miners in 2-1/2-2? I have that trophy, I still remeber running that part over and over again.

Got through all the -1 stages, and am now starting on the -2 stages. Finished off the red dragon. I'm thinking about going after Flamelurker.

A question about demon upgrades: I see all the time I need a +7 weapon or what have you to get them forged, but do they need to be a basic +7, or is it cumulative? ie. If I upgrade a +3 basic sword to a quality +1, and get it up to quality +4, does that count as a +7 sword?

Aguirre

Okay, w.t.f. Like the user above me, I just fired up this game in the first time in about 7 months. It says I've logged over 100 hrs. I can't tell where I am (somewhere in Boletaria, there is no shortage of ninjas and red knights), what I was doing here and what item does what.
To the wikia I go!

CatPee

SpeedySwaf said:
Got through all the -1 stages, and am now starting on the -2 stages. Finished off the red dragon. I'm thinking about going after Flamelurker.

A question about demon upgrades: I see all the time I need a +7 weapon or what have you to get them forged, but do they need to be a basic +7, or is it cumulative? ie. If I upgrade a +3 basic sword to a quality +1, and get it up to quality +4, does that count as a +7 sword?

Nope. Requirements are for that exact tier upgraded weapon.

J2d

24FrameDaVinci said:
Special request: I'm at the entrance of the boss for 3-2, Tower of Latria Maneater. Can someone please help me?
You do know that you can just arrow the first maneater to death through the fog right?

J2d

24FrameDaVinci said:
No, and on top of that I don't have any arrows on me lol
If you don't get anyone to help thats what I'd advise you to do, stand on the left side of the fog if my memory serves me right.

I just started the game today. I'm at the castle of the small king or whatever. I've acquired the bastard sword and that is about it.

I'm hoping I can upgrade my character very quickly.

Soma

oh my god

fuck you tower of latria

i have a bloodspot with 10,000 souls in it that's stuck on a railing right next to me that i can't reach :mad:

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
moonspeak said:
oh my god

fuck you tower of latria

i have a bloodspot with 10,000 souls in it that's stuck on a railing right next to me that i can't reach :mad:
lol you can farm that in like 1 1/2 minutes later :) actually you can right now :D

WEGGLES

Sisters fiance bought a PS3, so of course I had to get him a copy of this. So good to see this game didn't fall into obscurity and it's still easy to go out and get a copy nearly any where.

Soma

QisTopTier said:
lol you can farm that in like 1 1/2 minutes later :) actually you can right now :D
yeeeeaaaahhh i know

i just hate 3-1 in general

don't get me wrong it's an awesome level and holy crap they got the creepiness down so well, but i hate going through it since i get lost so easily.

and people say it's even easier to get lost in Dark Souls?

ffffffffffffffffffuuu

24FrameDaVinci said:
No, and on top of that I don't have any arrows on me lol

easy way to fight them... use Firestorm when they get close to you, then sprint all the way across the room, heal and restore your magic, rinse and repeat.

I wish I could adequately put into words how much I love this game. I could (and have many times) spend hours getting lost in the world of Demons Souls doing nothing more then upgrading weapons and finding the perfect combination of equipment to conquer each level. This game has grabbed me more then any game before. I fucking love it.

shiroryu

White ghosts when playing online are spooky...park myself in a safe spot to look through items or whatever and I'll see the ghost suddenly run by...gave me a heart attack the first time it happened.

Canova

Banned
shiroryu said:
White ghosts when playing online are spooky...park myself in a safe spot to look through items or whatever and I'll see the ghost suddenly run by...gave me a heart attack the first time it happened.

lol

white ghost is the best thing when playing online

Styles

So I am trying to get the platinum trophy for this game, but it seems like a chore. :( I want to start a new playthrough with a melee, but I still have a few more spells to get.

cj_iwakura said:
The toughest thing about platinum is easily the weapons. After that, slaying Doran.
Finding my problem is the rings. Accidentally killed the bag lady in 5-1 with an AOE magic under her and dropped my CT down.. I do not want to do the BP's in NG++...

Max

I am not Max
cj_iwakura said:
The toughest thing about platinum is easily the weapons. After that, slaying Doran.
I killed Doran at a pretty low level just by luring him out, waiting for him to walk back to his spot, and then backstabbing him

Over and over for 20 minutes

shiroryu

Am playing Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll and this back-to-back every weekend and both are fun, while being wildly different.

Trinity has me doing double-jumping, air-dashing, in-air combo badassery with Selene; it's like playing on the moon as far as gravity is concerned. If you fall off a cliff or into a chasm, the game brings you back with a minor hit to HP....

...whereas Demon's Souls on the other hand, the atmosphere is goddamn oppressive; it clings to you. If this is how the Palace is, don't want to go into the swamps! I'm walking everywhere with shield up though I know I cleared the area lol. Like playing on Jupiter.

Quick question: Should I be getting a good shield like the Purple Flame Shield for a magic-focused build ( started as a Royal) or is a cheap buckler enough?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So oddly enough playing Dark Souls made me want to get back into this and plat it. Which I did! If anyone needs Pure Bladestones (got mine in 5 mins farming >.>) or whatever just let me know. US servers, SL215. Bout the only thing I don't have is the Foe's Ring cause I gave it away. Game of the forever until I'm finished with DkS.

Soma

It's kinda weird that I'm noticing a lot more blue soul signs lately than when I played over a year ago. And a lot more white ghosts it feels like.

Well in any case it's good to see this game still has a lot of life in it.

Also, 3-1 is fiiiiinally down after like two hours of running around.

Gee

Before starting Dark Souls I would really like to try to and get the platinum.
I have been grinding for the pure bladestone for quite some time now.

Is there anybody on the EUR servers around lvl 173 who could spare one?
Any help would be kindly appreciated. (I'm playing right now, and would be available during the day)

shiroryu said:
Quick question: Should I be getting a good shield like the Purple Flame Shield for a magic-focused build ( started as a Royal) or is a cheap buckler enough?

I can't remember the stats but use something light. If you are a magic user and can't do the quick roll you're fucked.

shiroryu said:
Am playing Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll and this back-to-back every weekend and both are fun, while being wildly different.

Trinity has me doing double-jumping, air-dashing, in-air combo badassery with Selene; it's like playing on the moon as far as gravity is concerned. If you fall off a cliff or into a chasm, the game brings you back with a minor hit to HP....

...whereas Demon's Souls on the other hand, the atmosphere is goddamn oppressive; it clings to you. If this is how the Palace is, don't want to go into the swamps! I'm walking everywhere with shield up though I know I cleared the area lol. Like playing on Jupiter.

PFS is pretty heavy and the strength requirement is kind of high for a magic focused build. The buckler is pretty useless since it doesn't completely block physical damage. There's a kite shield on the 1st floor of 3-1 that should work pretty well for you right now.

Ostinatto

PEOPLEEEE i need help

i just need a pure Moonstone to get the platinum trophy

and

i cant have it, i just run out of lizards, ( i think is the only way to get one of those)

i need one of those, pls gaf help this poor soul :(

i can give you anything you want. demon's souls, weapons, anything fro exchange

lvl: 168
id: forsakenwins

shiroryu

electroshockwave said:
PFS is pretty heavy and the strength requirement is kind of high for a magic focused build. The buckler is pretty useless since it doesn't completely block physical damage. There's a kite shield on the 1st floor of 3-1 that should work pretty well for you right now.
Cool, thanks.

Anilusion

I had no problems with the Doran fight, I think I managed to glitch it somehow. He hit me once and I almost died so I started running, and I ran past the bridge with the red knight and throught that room, and outside that room there are some small stairs. Doran ran a bit past them and then started walking back. I started attacking him and I pushed him to the right of the stairs. All he did then was trying to go back to his "path" so he didnt even attack me anymore since I just pushed him away from it by attacking him.

Moobabe said:
I hate 5-2. It's made me stop playing the game :(

There's a 'clear' passage to go through. Just go in between the woodchunks. When your far, you'll also be able to make a shortcut accessible.

Who wants to beat this 4-3 boss with me? I'm level 76 or something...

i live in europe, don't know if it matters?

Top Bottom