• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Joei

So, after finally playing this game the proper way and not cheap killing any bosses (like, arrow through fog for Maneater/trapping Flamelurker/etc.) I'm down to one boss, False King. This dude keeps killing me pretty handily. The closest I got to killing him was taking him down 2/3s of the way. I got his patterns for attack down and can tell what's coming based on the way he moves, but man, I just haven't pulled through yet. Sometimes he attacks in such a quick succession, I just can't withstand it all. And when Warding drops, oi, I get creamed if I can't get it back up in time. The thing is, I know if I practice just a little more and just get a little lucky, I can pull it off.

TUSR

Banned
So am I doing this right?

I completed 1-1 after struggling to figure this game out, I then went to 4-1 (Shrine of Storms?) and got that falchion and went back and completed 2-1.

This game is so open ended that im pretty confused where I should be, and if im playing right haha...

So far after beating Tower Knight, I figured this is possibly one of the best games ive ever played.

oracrest

Squire Felix said:

I completed 1-1 after struggling to figure this game out, I then went to 4-1 (Shrine of Storms?) and got that falchion and went back and completed 2-1.

This game is so open ended that im pretty confused where I should be, and if im playing right haha...

So far after beating Tower Knight, I figured this is possibly one of the best games ive ever played.

There really is no true order to play in. Just have at it, and do the ones that feel fun to play through.

TUSR

Banned
oracrest said:
There really is no true order to play in. Just have at it, and do the ones that feel fun to play through.
Does the game change drastically on the NG+ mode or whatever when you finish your first play through?

Squire Felix said:
Does the game change drastically on the NG+ mode or whatever when you finish your first play through?
The enemies get stronger and you get more souls from each kill, but other then that, not really. Multiple run throughs are pretty much the only way you're going to get every weapon or spell, however, or to be able to upgrade some equipment.

I'm just starting out. I beat beat 1-1 just now. Should I up my strength (14) or Luck (which is a 7)???????? I just up my vitality a bit and I'm not sure what will make life easy.

EasyMode

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm just starting out. I beat beat 1-1 just now. Should I up my strength (14) or Luck (which is a 7)???????? I just up my vitality a bit and I'm not sure what will make life easy.
Don't bother with luck. Can't go wrong with vitality, and more strength will be needed to equip certain items, so level it as you need to. Endurance is also an important stat for a melee character.

Pookmunki

Just wanted to share my 1-4 story:

Spent 15 minutes FireSpray-ing the
Blue Dragon
before running out of spice (approx 50 Fresh used). Proceeded to return to nexus and farm 4-2 to get 99 and try again.

Spend 15 minutes getting him down to about 30% when I get invaded by Black Phantom. He makes his way to the safe landing and watches as I notch another 20% or so off. All the time I'm flicking the camera between the 2 as it is possible to be hit by flames. Thinking he is a benevolent Black, I proceed to spray
old bluey

Tiniest sliver of health left and the BP makes a charge for me so I roll down the stairs, taking a blast of flame. We do a soul arrow dance on the steps of the castle before he casts magic field, nullyfing me, before switching weapons and backstabbbing me for insta-death. The
Blue Dragon
must have had less than 5% health and I lost a good 20 minutes of my life.

God I love DS!

oracrest

Squire Felix said:

The game is harder, enemies deal a lot more damage, and can take more hits.

But, the fact that your character and world tendency carry over, it may give you an opportunity to keep manipulating them enough to explore new content and areas that you bypassed the first time.

Trust me, there is plenty that you didn't do in NG. I was still discovering new content on my 7th, or 8th playthrough.....

Joei

Squire Felix said:

Yeah, there's no "right way" to beat the game, though there things you can get that make progressing a bit easier. Knowing to get that Falchion is huge though. I didn't realize how much it helps until I tried it on my new character. Another level you'll want to complete soon is probably 2-2 since the soul from that boss is very useful. That boss fight can be pretty difficult though. You'll probably end up completing 2-3 shortly after since that boss fight is pretty easy once you figure it out and it'll let you continue on in world 1. There's also a shield in 3-2 that can be very helpful early on if you can find it. Other than that, tackle the levels how you want, that's part of the fun in the game.

Pookmunki

EasyMode said:
Funny story... that guy was kind of a dick, :lol.

I'm pretty sure that enemy is very resistant to fire damage though. Why not soul arrow/ray?

Actually he has no resistance to flame at all according to the wiki - the problem with Soul Ray etc is you actually have to aim about a second before where his head will be. With the Fire Spray you literally hold R1 to get about 70 hp off every time he breathes fire, only letting up to eat spice.

Cheese it!

Trickster

This game is arriving at my home tommorow. I bought it not knowing a lot about the game other than it's hard and a lot of people really love it.

So I'm curious, what can I expect when I boot it up after coming home tommorow?

Kalnos

Banned
Trickster said:
This game is arriving at my home tommorow. I bought it not knowing a lot about the game other than it's hard and a lot of people really love it.

work.7244787.4.fc,220x200,black.v3.jpg

Leunam

Got my Monks Head Wrappings on my first try! Wooooooo!

Also Maneater/s, who I feared after my encounters with Flamelurker, went down on my first try as well! Wooooooo!

oracrest said:
The game is harder, enemies deal a lot more damage, and can take more hits.

But, the fact that your character and world tendency carry over, it may give you an opportunity to keep manipulating them enough to explore new content and areas that you bypassed the first time.

Trust me, there is plenty that you didn't do in NG. I was still discovering new content on my 7th, or 8th playthrough.....
Really? I'm about to finish my third playthrough and I feel like I've seen every nook and cranny of every level. What content specifically are you talking about?

EasyMode said:
Don't bother with luck. Can't go wrong with vitality, and more strength will be needed to equip certain items, so level it as you need to. Endurance is also an important stat for a melee character.

So item drops arent a big factor in this game?

I guess I'll up strength next and go back to health raising stats later.

Any good early spots to grind for souls?

I know of one in 1-1. There is a place off to the left of the frist bridge at the start of the level where some red guys are on a hill at the foot of the castle. I've been grinding that here and there.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

I know of one in 1-1. There is a place off to the left of the frist bridge at the start of the level where some red guys are on a hill at the foot of the castle. I've been grinding that here and there.
What SL are you? Early on I found 4-1 to be quite the place to gather souls. 4-2 reaper is also a very quick way to get them.

After that 4-4 archstone with stormruler is super easy to get tons of souls.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

You could always farm the Red Eyed Knight on 1-1, then go back to the stairs and kill yourself, collect your souls and rinse and repeat. It's 2000 souls a pop in a relatively short amount of time.

gdt

Trickster said:

General tips that helped me.

DON'T CONSUME THE DEMON SOULS! The game literally doesn't mention this. Use them for spells/items.

Take it very, very slow. Most levels have a sort of checkpoint system, so you won't lose much progress when you die, often.

BE ABLE TO ROLL. This is nearly essential.

Get Soul Arrow. ASAP.

And use the Demon's Souls wiki. It's essential with how obtuse the game is.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I might still be SL 4. I didn't check after meeting the stat altering girl.
Gotcha, well the skeletons in 4-1 tend to give the most souls that I have seen. If you can I would try 4-1. I would take out the skeletons up to the first fog gate and then use the archstone then do it all over again.

If you can get past the tower knight you can use that arch stone and backstab the two blue eyed knights right before his area for souls as well. But nothing beats world 4 for soul farming in my eyes.

gdt5016 said:
DON'T CONSUME THE DEMON SOULS!
This cannot be stressed enough!

Pookmunki said:
Actually he has no resistance to flame at all according to the wiki - the problem with Soul Ray etc is you actually have to aim about a second before where his head will be. With the Fire Spray you literally hold R1 to get about 70 hp off every time he breathes fire, only letting up to eat spice.

Cheese it!
Are you sure about that?
rAggp.png

2AdEPT

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm so confused now, the thing by the monumental is that just one of the items that gives you back your body or what are you guys talking about. From people randomly saying I can't do it offline I have no idea what I am doing.
f

Joei

Leunam said:
Don't let up on her and use both hands for your weapon. Her sword will go right through your shield.

Lava Bow works well too. I faught her straight up and when she moved back to start healing I started tagging her with my bow and setting her on fire. I eventually had her backed into the wall and just depleted her health from there.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

world 4 is great to grind for souls. if you are careful you can go there pretty early. i think 4-1 was the second or third area i finished my first time through.

i started playing this game during a pure black world tendency event, completely ignorant of how much more difficult that was making the game. it makes 1-2 almost literally impossible
two BP red eye knights right before the boss in an area thats hard during neutral tendency? fuck you game!
and 2-1 is no cake walk either in PBWT.

man, i love this game. maybe ill replay it before my dark souls preorder arrives. i plan to reply briefly to a simple post but just want to keep talking about the game.

2AdEPT

Vect said:
So how do you kill BP Selen Vinland in 5-2? Stupid bitch keeps healing.
Use a knockdown weaopn like bone smasher, great sword or axe, or meat clever. Use warrior ring. Time it right...just when she finishes getting up rain more Pain.

Vect said:

What kind of character you rolling? The easiest way is to sneak up behind her (graverobbers ring helps), with a stunlock weapon (like meatcleaver), equip the clever rats ring and morion blade, enchant the meatcleaver (or use black turpentine) then a 3 or 4 hit combo should kill her.

Vect said:
I've always killed her with a Tearing Uchigatana. The bleed damage is faster than her healing skill and it's fairly easy to get a stun lock.

Kinda upset at Demon's Souls right now, and for a different reason than usual. Some black phantom made his way into my game and, without paying me any mind, wandered deeper into 4-1 than I've ever been and proceeded to kill everything, Vanguard included. He scored me a bunch of souls and all, but even if I was just gonna plug that demon with arrows from a comfy distance, it would've been nice to experience it for myself. Hopefully this doesn't have any impact on being able to finish the game properly, but anyway... thanks for the hand, asshole!

Dreweyes

BlewHedgehog said:
Kinda upset at Demon's Souls right now, and for a different reason than usual. Some black phantom made his way into my game and, without paying me any mind, wandered deeper into 4-1 than I've ever been and proceeded to kill everything, Vanguard included. He scored me a bunch of souls and all, but even if I was just gonna plug that demon with arrows from a comfy distance, it would've been nice to experience it for myself. Hopefully this doesn't have any impact on being able to finish the game properly, but anyway... thanks for the hand, asshole!

Lol never had that happen before. Damn.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Vect said:
Lure her to solid ground and use a 2handed big-ass sword (axe range is too short) that has knockdown on impact. Rush the hell out of her when she gets up. I fought her last night and killed her rather quickly with Great Sword.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
BlewHedgehog said:
Haha, this is pretty funny. A BP with a change of heart - trying to turn over a new leaf and help people - ends up just being an asshole.

There should be a comic/picture somewhere addressing the complexities of BP life. They're just the guys everyone loves to hate.

Quick question:

I was skimming through the trophy list and realised that to have some of the trophies I will have to beat the game 3 times?
For example, the Dragon Demon's Soul gives me tree options, all of which I will need for the trophies:
Fireball Magic
Firestorm Magic
God's Wrath Miracle

Am I correct?

Ostinatto

Frank Jaeger said:
Quick question:

I was skimming through the trophy list and realised that to have some of the trophies I will have to beat the game 3 times?
For example, the Dragon Demon's Soul gives me tree options, all of which I will need for the trophies:
Fireball Magic
Firestorm Magic
God's Wrath Miracle

Am I correct?

you have to beat the game 4 times, to get platinum, you need the old monk's soul 4 times for spell miracles and weapons. same thing with Maiden Astraea demon's soul

Akainu

Killed my first red dragon the one in 1-2. It took awhile at 19 hp an attack. But I did it.

I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to do it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ostinatto said:
you have to beat the game 4 times, to get platinum, you need the old monk's soul 4 times for spell miracles and weapons. same thing with Maiden Astraea demon's soul

Well, beat the game 3x and those bosses for a fourth time. There are other ways of acquiring them though..ahem..

TUSR

Banned
Akainu said:
Killed my first red dragon the one in 1-2. It took awhile at 19 hp an attack. But I did it.

I too did that last night... 2 Arrows a pass at 18ish damage a hit.

Canova

Banned
Akainu said:

Next time wait till you get morion blade and clever rat ring to kill the dragons

Leunam

So yesterday I decided to finish Latria since that was the only world left before the end of the Boletarian Palace. I had terrible luck with that place so it really put me off even though I liked the level and the story behind it. Made my way to the Maneaters as carefully as I could, almost getting killed by the BP Guard before the fog gate. I had a fairly easy time against the boss thanks to my Blue Blood sword even though I had been dreading that fight for a while. I took too long with the first Maneater and he was still around 60% health when the second showed up.

After that fight I did some maintenance in the Nexus and came back for 3-3. I got the cutscene with the Old Monk but I wouldn't know if I was fighting an NPC or another player until I got there. Unfortunately, I got the NPC BP. After I finished that fight I went back and invaded someones world. Got into the throne room with the wrappings and fought some guy in light armor using a Purple Flame Shield, a Great Axe (might have even been a Dozer Axe) and what I assume was a Dragon Long Sword. I wasn't taking a lot of damage but it was hard to get in because my roll timing was terrible and one hit from the axe sent me flying. If I landed a backstab he would simply roll away and heal. Occasionally he would use Enchant Weapon and Warding but not to much effect. Eventually I landed the backstab that I needed and I rushed him while he rolled away and landed the last two hits required to kill him. I got my Monks Head Wrappings and was on my merry way. I was using the full Dark Silver set minus the gauntlets which were Brushwood and a Blue Blood Sword and Dark Silver Shield.

Trickster

The black knight with red eyes in the castle level ( first level i guess? ). Am I supposed to fight that guy the first time i meet him? Dude one shot me :|

EasyMode

Trickster said:
The black knight with red eyes in the castle level ( first level i guess? ). Am I supposed to fight that guy the first time i meet him? Dude one shot me :|
You don't need to fight him, just ignore him and find another route.

Top Bottom