• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

I went on a tear last night and am now pretty close to finishing this game up after owning it since launch. Shame on me for waiting this long, the game is absolutely phenomenal. I already knew it was good but I forgot how much I liked it when it got buried in my backlog a few years ago.

I have a question, though. Right now I'm using a Kilij +7 because I really like the attack patterns of the weapon. I was planning on upgrading to a Quality Kilij at some point to take advantage of my fairly high dex and strength. The thing is, for some reason I was confused and thought I needed a Kilij +8 to upgrade to Quality, when in fact I only needed a +3. So, first of all, is there any way to upgrade my Kilij +7 to a Quality Kilij without melting it down? Would it actually be worth doing that? Here's the real question --- how high do my strength and dex need to be to make a Quality Kilij +5 a better weapon than a Kilij +10?

shiroryu

Lol, my bad about L1/L2. What Leunam said.

I think humanoid bosses can always be parried - there's a whole wiki strategy for Garl Vinland that is nothing but parry and riposte. Non-humanoid ones, the ones much bigger than you, should not theoretically be parry-able.

MechaX

With the servers being extended for awhile now and me not getting Dark Souls at launch due to self-restraint reasons (getting that game when I have 25 and 75 page papers looming in that month would be academic suicide), I think I'll give another go through this game. I don't expect it to be all that bad now that I know what to expect (hopefully).

My only concern is spicing things up for the second time around. My first character was a Strength Build Dragon Bone Smasher user that really relied on being more of a glass cannon than anything else. I'm tempted to delve into the magic/faith builds, but I watched one of my friends roll mage and... well... his experience was pretty frustrating due to the horrible lock-on. But what should I do in order to do something "fresh"?

Also, are there good, high damage spears to use? I don't think I ever used a spear-class weapon with my first character.

Mana Sin

The Mirdan Hammer is a pretty popular spear from what I can tell. This link have some builds posted up. I would suggest reading the descriptions of some that sound interesting to you, if only to give you a better idea of what you'd like to do with your new character.

About mage builds.. Well, when I focus on magic, I like to raise my dex as well and keep a bow handy for trickier aiming situations.

MechaX said:
With the servers being extended for awhile now and me not getting Dark Souls at launch due to self-restraint reasons (getting that game when I have 25 and 75 page papers looming in that month would be academic suicide), I think I'll give another go through this game. I don't expect it to be all that bad now that I know what to expect (hopefully).

My only concern is spicing things up for the second time around. My first character was a Strength Build Dragon Bone Smasher user that really relied on being more of a glass cannon than anything else. I'm tempted to delve into the magic/faith builds, but I watched one of my friends roll mage and... well... his experience was pretty frustrating due to the horrible lock-on. But what should I do in order to do something "fresh"?

Also, are there good, high damage spears to use? I don't think I ever used a spear-class weapon with my first character.

Go faith build. You'll love it. Great for PvP and PvE.

It's melee focused and you get to use cast active magic spells as a survival crutch. Not for offensive magic unless you wanna kill gecko in 2-2. Miracles like Second Chance, Anti-Magic field and Evacuate are great to have.

Blessed Mirdan Hammer - Great weapon to use with two hands. Great damage, highly recommended.
Moonlight Sword - Ignores Shields. Very useful in PvP but not much in PVE. A good second weapon.
Blessed Knight Sword - Great weapon and damage.
Blessed Great Sword - Great Damage. Great one-handed weapon. Good for shield creeping.
Blessed Giant Axe - Great weapon and damage.
Adjudicators Shield - Must Have Shield.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help a level 75 with the 4-2 Boss, the blind dude? I'm waiting at the fog now.
I'm right around your level and I've beaten that boss but I won't be home for another hour and a half or so. If you don't mind waiting or doing something else in the meantime I wouldn't mind helping out!

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'm right around your level and I've beaten that boss but I won't be home for another hour and a half or so. If you don't mind waiting or doing something else in the meantime I wouldn't mind helping out!
Okay I will wait for you, gunna farm in the meantime.

MechaX

Man. I feel like a badass for beating the Vanguard in that tutorial. I think I can take whatever the game-

... No... No no no, they do NOT expect me to fucking fight
the dragon god.
From has a funny sense of humor.

I admit, i troll this game hard. Run around at SL 20 with a mirdian hammer+10 and cursed weapon or blessed claymore +5 with warding and poison cloud

sorry if i trolled u

fuzzyreactor said:
I admit, i troll this game hard. Run around at SL 20 with a mirdian hammer+10 and cursed weapon or blessed claymore +5 with warding and poison cloud

sorry if i trolled u

That's not how you you troll. Second Chance and a Northern Regalia with pure black character tendency is how you troll.

Canova

Banned
I gotz lotz of moniez

SL 60
NG+++++
Moniez: 11M

DSCN0953.jpg

DSCN0955.jpg

oracrest said:
I am one of the biggest Demon's Souls fans on the forum (arguably.)

And, I still put it on the shelf for a good 5 months when Monster Hunter Tri came out. It's a game you can do that with. There will never be a game "better" than Demon's Souls. It will always maintain it's replayability, like the original 'SMB' series. Dark Souls will be improved in some ways, but still different, mark my words.

Even after servers go down, the strict single player remains one of the best games I have ever played. It will stay in a category all it's own, like how Ico is different from Sotc.

Well said Oracrest. I appreciate all the help you've given on this game and can't wait for Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls will always be the best. My fav game this Gen and top 5 all-time.

I just started playing this game.

Its absolutely brilliant. BRILLIANT.

I knew it was considered a great game but I didn't realize till now exactly WHY it is considered great.

Canova

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
I just started playing this game.

Its absolutely brilliant. BRILLIANT.

I knew it was considered a great game but I didn't realize till now exactly WHY it is considered great.

yeah it is, a lot of people thought it was just all hyped, till they really played the game. it is a masterpiece of this generation

I've wanted to get into this for a while and tomorrow I'll finally pick up my copy. How long has Demon's Souls been Greatest Hits? I only noticed today so either it's news to me or I completely forgot.

Canova

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
I could make 11 million in about 5 minutes. There's not much point to it.

I know you're exaggerating, but yeah you could make 11M in a much faster time than I did, but what I'm trying to say is that I earned it the old fashion way by advancing the game and never lost money, no farming, no cheating, no soulsucking BP skeletons, etc

MechaX

Man, I rolled mage instead of faith for my second character and either I just know most of the surprises or mage builds are actually pretty powerful. I pretty much stonewalled a lot of the early bosses just by using Soul Arrow.

But on that point, I think I encountered my first legitimate griefer. After beating back one Black Phantom (and being utterly out of MP and spices, which is a testament because I was extremely unprepared for this BP to begin with), another guy comes in just as I'm getting to the 4-1 archstone. Here comes this guy with two massive shields and massive armor. Magic does some damage, but then he pulls out what had to have been a maxed Dark Silver Shield. Basically, I couldn't do much and he OHKO's me. Keep in mind that I was around SL 30 when this happened.

Personally, I think low level play like this really just wastes everybody's time. Okay, you can beat up on people with shit equipment and/or are underprepared while you have end-game equipment. Woo. Oh, you set me back by like 5 minutes. You show 'em.

Sure, it's not as bad as some of the stuff I have been reading on other forms (like a player summoning two blue phantoms and literally waiting hours to jump some one at the spawn point), but eh. This is just a concept I don't really see much fun in.

Just came back to the game. Rolled Royal this time. Are these guys OP or did they patch the game to be easy? Anyways, about to go fight the first boss now after which what should I spend souls on? Leveling up or Gear? and if leveling up what things should I level up?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Ive bought and traded and sold this game a total of 3 times already never being able to advance.much beyond Phalanx but today however after dying repeatedly I made it to the Tower Knight and died and I kept replaying attempting to make it back up to him to defeat him and I finally did. I found that after beating him and being able to "buffer" at the Maiden in Black the game opens up and became alot more enjoyable, for me atleast. However I still understand many concepts of the game because they are so poorly explained but this may also be my fault as well as I didn't read the manual. But I don't understand how to/when to summon other players, how to cast spells or understand how players can invade another's game or how to become skilled enough to use certain weapons. Are these things that will be explained as I progress through the game? Or should I take a quick skim through the manual? Tanks in advance to anyone who can give me some guidance. Im playing as a barbarian as well

shiroryu

I've hardly gone anywhere in this game and I want a sequel NOW. Dark Souls might tide me over, but this particular setting is one of the very few ones to hook me.

Canova

Banned
Allonym said:
Ive bought and traded and sold this game a total of 3 times already never being able to advance.much beyond Phalanx but today however after dying repeatedly I made it to the Tower Knight and died and I kept replaying attempting to make it back up to him to defeat him and I finally did. I found that after beating him and being able to "buffer" at the Maiden in Black the game opens up and became alot more enjoyable, for me atleast. However I still understand many concepts of the game because they are so poorly explained but this may also be my fault as well as I didn't read the manual. But I don't understand how to/when to summon other players, how to cast spells or understand how players can invade another's game or how to become skilled enough to use certain weapons. Are these things that will be explained as I progress through the game? Or should I take a quick skim through the manual? Tanks in advance to anyone who can give me some guidance. Im playing as a barbarian as well

bookmark this, this site has everything you need to know on demon's souls.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

to summon blue phantom
1. you need to be in body form
2. you need to be in the area or level you haven't cleared (haven't beaten the boss)
3. you can only summon someone in similar levels, so if you're level 20, you can summon someone lvl 13 to lvl 26. There's a formula for this. the higher your level is the higher level range you can summon
4. if you see blue stone on the ground, then summon

to help people (to become blue phantom)
1. you need to be in soul form
2. you need to use the blue stone you get from maiden in black

to be invaded
1. you can only be invaded in a level you haven't beaten
2. you can only be invaded when you're in body form
3. you can only be invaded by someone who has lower soul level than you, so you won't be invaded by some uber players

to invade (to become black phantom)
1. you need black stone
2. you need to be in soul form

to challenge people in a duel
1. you need red stone, and be in soul form
2. or if you see red stone on the ground, that means someone is up for a duel, you can summon him/her for a duel

this game is very complex for beginners, but the more you play the more you understand different aspects of the game

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I finally started playing... Damn I suck.

I'm a thief. This shit cray. Let a brother get some soul scrilla. Also I'm confused. I'm in the nexus do I just do things down here or do I get out of the nexus somehow?

I keep going into the Boelestrian(sp?) palace.

When you buy weapons is there any easy way to see what it will improve over your currently equipped weapon?

Yo Gotti

Banned
MThanded said:
I finally started playing... Damn I suck.

I'm a thief. This shit cray. Let a brother get some soul scrilla. Also I'm confused. I'm in the nexus do I just do things down here or do I get out of the nexus somehow?

I keep going into the Boelestrian(sp?) palace.

When you buy weapons is there any easy way to see what it will improve over your currently equipped weapon?

Gotta beat the first area and boss of the palace, then the rest of the game opens up.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to compare weapons, gotta manually compare and get to know your equipment. Read the game manual, it'll explain what all the runes and stat symbols mean.

shiroryu

UntoldDreams said:
I would kill for a VITA version of Demons Souls.

Being able to take this on the go would be awesome.

Exactly what I was thinking about the other day...since the game keeps track of your progress point-to-point, instead of using checkpoints, it'd be a great fit. The only problem is that you'd need to be in a place where you could not be disturbed, not always an option on the move.

Akainu said:
Those souls you find off corpses. Do you need any of them?
No, you can exchange them into soul currency. Since you won't lose them when you die, it might be wise to wait until you're a few souls short of upgrading a stat point or something. Make sure you don't waste the boss souls though, since you'll need them for upgrading unique weapons and advanced spells.

Akainu

Canova said:
Yeah pick them up, you need souls to upgrade your char or weapons
So they are nothing special like the unknown soldier ones?

archnemesis said:
No, you can exchange them into soul currency. Since you won't lose them when you die, it might be wise to wait until you're a few souls short of upgrading a stat point or something. Make sure you don't waste the boss souls though, since you'll need them for upgrading unique weapons and advanced spells.
Well that answers that question.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
UntoldDreams said:
I would kill for a VITA version of Demons Souls.

Being able to take this on the go would be awesome.
I believe there was word of super awesome (universal) remote play for VITA.

I dunno about "on the go", but taking Demon's/Dark Souls with you to the turlet would be quite... appropriate.

I don't think I'll make it in time for Dark Souls. I only cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2 so far. Played a lot of 3-1 and 4-1 though, but never really beat them (wasn't really trying).

I've owned this game since launch and I finally beat it last night. It took me around 40 hours and I finished the game at SL 75 or so.

I feel bad for waiting so long to finish it. This game is incredible and playing through it has got me really excited for Dark Souls.

Got invaded for the first time. Got owned. He was carrying a sorta big sword plus wearing this tornado head. Couldn't really damage him much. =(

I tried to invade 4-1 twice. Lost the first one since it was so laggy (I forgot to turn off BF3 beta download). Won the second one, lasted about 3-4 mins. Kinda felt sorry for the guy once he started sprinting the hell back to the starting point. He was using a heal item so I criticaled his back, hahahaha. :D

SonicBoom

I finally finished the game last night :D

Got the game when it first launched October 6th, 2009 gave up few times... got discouraged took me a month to beat the first boss..... then I gave this game a real go and got really into it in February 2010....got huge parts of the game done then stopped do to other games...then I popped it in last night after reading and watching Dark Souls mustered some courage and beat last 3 bosses and finished the campaign

Which took me 87hrs with a level 105 no cheats except using youtube strategies.... my last boss since I fought everyone else was the False King and he drained at least 4 souls lvls then I started a new game with all my stats intact... So this time I just soul douped/glitched the storage guy so I have unlimited souls now I jumped from level 110 to 175 :) Going to farm and go for all trophies :D

Now I'm gonna have to pre-order Dark Souls on 360 do to achievements and my friends playing on it...

My only complaint with this game is SAVE POINTS and not finishing this game sooner

Leunam

Wolf Akela said:
He was carrying a sorta big sword plus wearing this tornado head. Couldn't really damage him much. =(

Use magic on him if you see that. As long as that's equipped he takes more magic damage than usual.

Buddy got his NA copy. Said the steelbook looks larger than the normal PS3 case size, however he hasn't had a chance to open the package yet. My OCD is going to kill me from the inside.

Akainu said:
So they are nothing special like the unknown soldier ones?

Well that answers that question.

Keep in mind the bosses will drop special souls. They can be consumed like the unknown/hero/legendary/storied souls, but they can also be crafted into weapons/traded for spells/miracles.

Playing this for the first time as I never had a PS3 and I wanted to play it before Dark Souls. This has to be the most frustrating game I have ever played, but it gives you the most rewarding feeling when you actually get past something. Playing four hours and not making it to a boss and still walking away feeling like you made progress is awesome. Definitely sold on this game and Dark Souls.

ScrubJay

Since I've heard rumblings about the game going offline next year. I played through and beat the first level, only died once so far (I thought the dragons were the bosses and walked to them, they owned me). I do like how precise character movement is, but I don't like how sometimes lock on becomes wonky with multiple targets involved. I guess my next move is to go for the Crescent Falchion in 4-1. Eager to play more, a definite improvement over the last time I tried to play where Blue eyed guy on the top of the ramparts killed me and I quit in shame.

Ok I recently started a new character with the aim of focusing on melee combat. I rolled a Soldier (did royal my first time through as joint faith/magic) and am doing ok so far. Have focused on my spear and am levelling up strength or dexterity. Any recommended weapons or things that will make this as much fun as possible?

I probably should know this by now, but whatever. Anyway to rapidly/easily change the world tendency to white. Every other playthrough I just went in a grabbed the Dragon Bone Smasher but now it's blocked by "non-PWWT rubble"... Guess I died a few too many times on Flamelurker. Also would help me getting into the area with Miralda considering I forgot all about that area before progressing to 1-3.

Top Bottom