• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Trickster said:
The black knight with red eyes in the castle level ( first level i guess? ). Am I supposed to fight that guy the first time i meet him? Dude one shot me :|

As a leather user that dude still one-shoted me after I killed at least 3 or 4 bosses... so yeah, if you are royal, kite and spam soul-arrow. The 2k souls at that level are pretty nice, ortherwise, suck it up and come back later!

TUSR

Banned
5-1 makes me rage

Trickster said:
The black knight with red eyes in the castle level ( first level i guess? ). Am I supposed to fight that guy the first time i meet him? Dude one shot me :|

Yeah, you're not supposed to be there.

Zeliard

Trickster said:

Not necessarily. The door he's guarding you can't open yet. He is a decent early source for souls, though.

Don't feel too bad, by the way. That character is notorious for doing exactly that to almost everyone who first encounters him. After you get used to the rhythm of combat and level up a bit it'll be like coming back to slap down the Midgar Zolom.

oracrest

Frank Jaeger said:
As a leather user that dude still one-shoted me after I killed at least 3 or 4 bosses... so yeah, if you are royal, kite and spam soul-arrow. The 2k souls at that level are pretty nice, ortherwise, suck it up and come back later!

You can tackle him, but your playing with fire.

Have a shield ready, and let him charge into you. He will stumble back and be open to hit.

oracrest said:
You can tackle him, but your playing with fire.

Have a shield ready, and let him charge into you. He will stumble back and be open to hit.

Yeah! I tried that, got skewered like a kebab and decided to resume the kitting strat!

The thing was, that at that point, I didnt have enough stamina to withstand his full combo, and basically got unshielded and hit!

I was fairly successful with the roll dodge, but one small mistake and back to stone!

Well I have beat every level except 1-4.
I can get to the second phase of the dragon, but I'm not sure how to get past the flame.
I also read I could used some poison throwing weapons to down him as I am melee.
Any tips here? Do I even need to kill him?
I also noticed that the music in the nexus has changed to something much more creepy. very cool.
Was using the Dragon Bone Smasher, but have resorted back to dark silver shield and Demonbrandt.
Trying to finish this before Dark Souls releases.
Thanks!

EasyMode

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Well I have beat every level except 1-4.
I can get to the second phase of the dragon, but I'm not sure how to get past the flame.
I also read I could used some poison throwing weapons to down him as I am melee.
Any tips here? Do I even need to kill him?
I also noticed that the music in the nexus has changed to something much more creepy. very cool.
Was using the Dragon Bone Smasher, but have resorted back to dark silver shield and Demonbrandt.
Trying to finish this before Dark Souls releases.
Thanks!
You don't have to kill the dragon. The dragon follows a pattern during the second phase: first he breaths fire from left to right, then right to left. While the fire is going from right to left, sprint up the right side of the stairs as soon as there's an opening. Then you're home free.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
EasyMode said:
You don't have to kill the dragon. The dragon follows a pattern during the second phase: first he breaths fire from left to right, then right to left. While the fire is going from right to left, sprint up the right side of the stairs as soon as there's an opening. Then you're home free.
To add to what he said,
once you get past the flame you can kill the dragon with arrows/spells/throwing items. Don't go directly below him since the camera starts to have a seizure. There's a "safe line" on where the angle of the flame doesn't hit. Cautiously look for it and aim at the dragon's head. You don't have to kill him but you should since chances are the boss will smoke you and you'll have to get past him all over again.

bone_and_sinew said:
To add to what he said,
once you get past the flame you can kill the dragon with arrows/spells/throwing items. Don't go directly below him since the camera starts to have a seizure. There's a "safe line" on where the angle of the flame doesn't hit. Cautiously look for it and aim at the dragon's head. You don't have to kill him but you should since chances are the boss will smoke you and you'll have to get past him all over again.

when underneath it, just lock on to it. thats how I did it

bone_and_sinew

razgriz417 said:
when underneath it, just lock on to it. thats how I did it
I tried but the camera shook more than an epileptic during winter. What's weird was that it worked fine with my mage but when I did it with another character yesterday it refused to work. I had to kill it with arrows. And even the auto-aiming with arrows was shitty so I had to use manual aiming.

kyubajin

Posted this on the Dark Souls thread but might as well put it where it belongs.

I've being playing DS trying to get the plat and I've forgotten 80% of the levels :_( Also the crapton of stuff I have yet to upgrade, weapons to get, miracles, etc is devastating my morale. I'm concentrating on magic first and I'm in NG+ with this char.

How did you guys tackle the trophies? Various characters each focusing on a set of trophies? Like a STR or DEX build for weapons & rings trophies, a faith build for miracles, etc?

EasyMode

kyubajin said:
How did you guys tackle the trophies? Various characters each focusing on a set of trophies? Like a STR or DEX build for weapons & rings trophies, a faith build for miracles, etc?
Pretty much. You get to experience different playstyles and it feels like less of a grind.

Mana Sin

Yeah, I had accidentally let Ostrava die (Well, he must have wandered off in 1-1 or 1-2, while I was tackling 1-3) and lost my chance at the pure clear stone and
key to Doran
and in NG+, I just straight up killed him for the
key
and so I felt like I was screwed, until yesterday when I was killing the 2-3 boss with a new character and randomly got two pure clearstones from some geckos I decided to kill in a moment of cockyness near the harpoon thingies. Trophy get! :D

Sadly, I'm still down a handful of pure stones before I can get my platinum :(

bone_and_sinew said:
To add to what he said,

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Any idea how many throwing weapons I might need to bring with to slay him from 100% health?

Zeal

Banned
73045833.jpg

LETS DO THIS.

bone_and_sinew

fuzzyreactor said:
anyone willing to help me trade some of my stuff from old character to new one.

my old character is sl 105 and new one is 28
I'll do it, I have one character in the 80s. You'll have to de-level me down to around 28 after giving me your stuff though. (I'm NA server)

Whats a good way to communicate that you are requesting Blue Phantoms? Its very difficult for me to get them when I want to. There are several messages to put, but none of them actually say "help me" or some sort.

Sykotik

I streamed Demon's Souls for damn near 8 hours yesterday, got to King Allant as the final demon and I proceeded to die to him over and over for probably 2-3 hours. Fought him this morning 2 times and killed him, off stream. My character dies to damn near everything on NG+ in one hit, 'cause I stacked MAG and Will.

Yamibito

Started trying to play today, was really enjoying it until I got to the second world and some douchebag invaded my game and broke all my equipment with some overpowered shit, my friend said the same happened to him in the same exact place with a guy who looked exactly the same, fuck this.

Yamibito said:
Started trying to play today, was really enjoying it until I got to the second world and some douchebag invaded my game and broke all my equipment with some overpowered shit, my friend said the same happened to him in the same exact place with a guy who looked exactly the same, fuck this.
awesome lol

Zeal

Banned
Whatever you do, when you get the game:

Minor gameplay spoiler:

On the first castle area, make sure you get yourself a bow and about 60 arrows. Take time to shoot the dragon's tail (under the bridge) 50-60 times and you'll be rewarded with the Flying Dragon Sword. It's an overpowered weapon that makes everything so much fucking easier, and most enemies die with a single swing. You will thank me later.

TheHakku

Yamibito said:
Human form... shit sucks.
This is where the real Demon's Souls begins.

Trickster

Zeal said:
Whatever you do, when you get the game:

Minor gameplay spoiler:

On the first castle area, make sure you get yourself a bow and about 60 arrows. Take time to shoot the dragon's tail (under the bridge) 50-60 times and you'll be rewarded with the Flying Dragon Sword. It's an overpowered weapon that makes everything so much fucking easier, and most enemies die with a single swing. You will thank me later.

what do you mean under the bridge? Played the game for the first time today, and in 1-1 I only saw a dragon flying over a bridge, never under

Edit - Are you talking about Dark Souls or Demons Souls?

Zeal

Banned
Trickster said:
what do you mean under the bridge? Played the game for the first time today, and in 1-1 I only saw a dragon flying over a bridge, never under
EDIT: Oh my god, so sorry. I actually had both the Dark Souls and Demon's Souls threads open at once, and accidently posted this in here. MY BAD!

shwimpy

Just borrowed my friend's copy of this game in preparation for Dark Souls... it's been a year or so since I last played and I can't remember how to figure out which levels/bosses I've beaten. How do I do this again?

kyubajin

shwimpy said:
Just borrowed my friend's copy of this game in preparation for Dark Souls... it's been a year or so since I last played and I can't remember how to figure out which levels/bosses I've beaten. How do I do this again?
Just approach the archstones in the nexus and all active checkpoints except the 1st one are dead bosses.

shwimpy said:
Check the archstones in the nexus, each boss gets you a new location in the worlds.

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn Armored Spider was cake on NG, but on NG+ he is kicking my ass. Flame resistance doesn't seem to help all that much, I need to get better at running back to the entrance. Maybe play a little ranged, since I went almost entirely melee in NG.

deim0s

Ran around 1-1 to 1-3 to collect some herbs for fun.

Went in and fought Penetrator (1-4? Surprised that's he's easy to fight). Continued on and found a dead
dragon!!!

Ain't I supposed to be the one to kill it or I just missed an important event?

EasyMode

deim0s said:
Ran around 1-1 to 1-3 to collect some herbs for fun.

Went in and fought Penetrator (1-4? Surprised that's he's easy to fight). Continued on and found a dead
dragon!!!

Ain't I supposed to be the one to kill it or I just missed an important event?
You didn't miss anything, it's just part of the scenery. You'll meet one of its relatives later.

Mana Sin

Any advice on parrying? I'm able to do it, but it seems really inconsistent for me. What tells should I be looking for to narrow down the exact window for pressing R2? I kinda want to get his down before I get my copy of Dark Souls on Tuesday. It seems rather useful.

shiroryu

Mana Sin said:
Any advice on parrying? I'm able to do it, but it seems really inconsistent for me. What tells should I be looking for to narrow down the exact window for pressing R2? I kinda want to get his down before I get my copy of Dark Souls on Tuesday. It seems rather useful.
Assuming you've your shield in your left hand, you press L1 to parry, and then riposte using R1. R2 does a 'heavy attack', and as per the wiki, does not give you ripostes. Though you can use the window of stagger to do a safe R2 attack.

Timing-wise, since all enemies use different attack patterns, there's no fixed window - you just have to read the attack and press L1 when it comes close, see enemy stagger, press R1.

God I so love the faith build in DS that i want to do it again in Dark Souls.

Imma go straight meele first time through since I'm not sure about how upgrading works and stuff.

I fear that if I do a meele faith build that I will miss out on Dex/Str since they both seem to be so important in their own ways in DarkS.

Mana Sin

shiroryu said:
Assuming you've your shield in your left hand, you press L1 to parry, and then riposte using R1. R2 does a 'heavy attack', and as per the wiki, does not give you ripostes. Though you can use the window of stagger to do a safe R2 attack.

Timing-wise, since all enemies use different attack patterns, there's no fixed window - you just have to read the attack and press L1 when it comes close, see enemy stagger, press R1.

Ah, I meant to say L2. :p and yeah, I figured the attack patterns changed things, but I was wondering if there were certain attacks you could definitely parry or definitely not, stuff like that.

Leunam

I'm going to venture a guess and say bosses can't be parried. I think 'heavy' attacks can be parried but I've never tried out of fear of being one-shotted. I have no idea if spears can be parried or not, never tried it.

Mana Sin

Leunam said:
I'm going to venture a guess and say bosses can't be parried. I think 'heavy' attacks can be parried but I've never tried out of fear of being one-shotted. I have no idea if spears can be parried or not, never tried it.

I parried a spear/pole-arm in 1-1, from those normal soldier-type enemies a little while ago, so I guess it's possible to parry other spear users. My attempt to parry the red-eyed knight didn't end well for me (nearly died before deciding to cut my losses and killed him), but the wiki says it's possible.

Top Bottom